Author Topic: Any guitar players here familiar with Ibanez  (Read 7579 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Any guitar players here familiar with Ibanez
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »
floating trems? I just picked up a JEM 7V and am having a bitch of a time tuning with the fine tuners. I've had RG550's and 570's in the past but this trem  is so sensitive I'm ready to smash it in a million pieces. Even if I'm having to adjust the high E by a few cents the other strings always go flat. Anyone got any suggestions?

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Any guitar players here familiar with Ibanez
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 01:59:30 AM »
Does it have the Edge III?  I would just replace it with an original edge. 

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 01:45:46 PM »
How many springs are you using for the tremolo block?
Almost always, yes.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:07:08 PM »
No the bridge is a licensed Floyd Rose simply called Edge. I have 3 springs on the back, maybe I should add one more? Like I said I had 3 other Ibanez guitars with the different Edge brand bridges but none of the other strings ever went this much out of tune when trying to sharpen or flatten the other strings with the fine tuner.

I also notice a big change in the tuning just simply moving the guitar from the normal stance to having it face upwards. Do you guys notice this on your floating trems?

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 10:27:04 PM »
That's weird @ the tuning changing when you reposition. Makes me wonder if the neck is slightly loose in the pocket.

If you put another spring in/out, you'll have to intonate the bridge again which can be a pain with floaters. I'd advise, short of doing that, install a Tremol-no.

Hey, has the guitar been setup properly to begin with?

Almost always, yes.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 02:42:13 AM »
I prefer a Kahler to a Floyd myself. 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:23:07 PM »
Got it all figured out now. Thanks for the suggestions anyways guys.

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:40:31 PM »
What was the solution?
Almost always, yes.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 05:14:10 PM »
What was the solution?

Changed the springs and their configuration from the arrowhead type placing to the 3 parallel type and I have to tune in this manner with the fine tuners: Low E, high E, B, A, G, D. On my other guitars it didnt matter so much but this system is sensative as fuck, so much so Im thinking about bringing it back to the store for another RG series. There are always some adjustments that have to be made. Beautiful playing guitar but as with all things that are this delicate they can be pretty finicky. The gold plated hardware is starting to fade on the bridge as well, where I rest my palm. Whats the popint of paying this kinda money on a guitar that is going to tarnish after a couple of months?

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 05:55:37 PM »
Nice! Glad you figured it out. I hate when the finish starts to wear off...
Almost always, yes.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 08:52:42 PM »
floating trems? I just picked up a JEM 7V and am having a bitch of a time tuning with the fine tuners. I've had RG550's and 570's in the past but this trem  is so sensitive I'm ready to smash it in a million pieces. Even if I'm having to adjust the high E by a few cents the other strings always go flat. Anyone got any suggestions?

Hey dude, I'm the resident Ibanez expert on the board, I collect them and have 8 of them..mostly RG's with 2 S series (Sabre's) thrown into the mix.. great nick btw.

the Jem's are actually comsetically restyled RG 550's with a hand grip routed in, what do you tune to? sometimes really low tunings can affect bridge stability, also what gauge strings do you use? you shouldn't really be using anything higher then a .10 on RG type guitars, the ideal is .9

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 04:33:37 PM »
I always play the .9's and I use standard tuning.

The guitar is playing much better now that it's starting to get a little "broken in" but after some thought I might just bring it in and exchange it. The Evolutions pick ups in this guitar are a little muddy sounding and I really don't hear that much of a difference in the neck pickup and the bridge pickup with my sound set up.  Your right about the 550 comparison but the woods are different , this guitar is alder and not basswood, it's much lighter then the other models, also the output jack is different than the 550's.

The neck is also really no different than the Wizard except for slightly more curve in the Jem. I'm either going for the VV7 because it looks killer sweet and might sound a little clearer with the different pick ups in it or go for I higher end RG series guitar and save some dough.

Got any pictures of your guitars?

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 10:31:13 PM »
If you're going to go Dimarzio on that thing I would go for the Breeds over the Evo pups. 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 09:48:46 AM »
If you're going to go Dimarzio on that thing I would go for the Breeds over the Evo pups. 

Are the breeds in any of the other series guitars particularly the Prestige line? I like the look of that guitar body the best out of all the Ibanez.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 10:34:23 AM »
Are the breeds in any of the other series guitars particularly the Prestige line? I like the look of that guitar body the best out of all the Ibanez.

The Breeds are the pickups that Vai uses nowadays,  slightly hotter PAF style.  Think a Duncan 59 with a little more sizzle. 

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 02:02:01 PM »
i have a 92 usa floyd rose maple neck strat and it makes everything else feel cheap. i own a les paul too and the usa fender is 100% better minus a little sustain

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 03:38:03 PM »
Are you talking about the 'HM Strat' model? Those were cool!

Almost always, yes.

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 12:05:39 AM »
like this but with a maple neck instead

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 06:15:31 AM »
Maple neck/board? That must sound really bright, right?
Almost always, yes.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 09:08:54 PM »
My old man bought me a fake Jazzmaster when I started playing. Talk about a guitar that could kill anyones desire to learn to play. Ugly shape, ugly 70's color, played like a broom stick, blah...

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 01:16:43 AM »
My old man bought me a fake Jazzmaster when I started playing. Talk about a guitar that could kill anyones desire to learn to play. Ugly shape, ugly 70's color, played like a broom stick, blah...

My first guitar was a MIM Strat,  I gutted that sucker and put an Invader and a 59 in it.  I never should have sold it. 

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 03:35:35 AM »
My first guitar was a cheap mexican El Degas, strat knockoff with a Jackson type pointed headstock, all black

second was a slightly higher up Les Paul Copy, it wasn't until the third guitar that I saved up enough to buy an Ibanez RG

this was back when Ibanez made the best guitars for the money, a $600 RG (esp. the Japanese ones) was as good quality as the American Jacksons and other guitars of the time, this was between 1991-1999 , in 1999 Ibanez sold out to the nu metal trend and started manufacturing guitars in china and taiwan while keeping their original Japanese RG's as part of the prestige series.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 08:11:34 AM »
Anyone remember the Ibanez Explorer look alike? it was suppose to be a great guitar but Gibson made them stop making them.

...you can see them in some old English metal videos like Iron Maiden.

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 11:29:53 AM »
im my opinion nothing beats a fender for value for money, even a  basic squier is perfectly set up with low action and a flat neck with no dead spots or buzzing curves in the neck. so you know when you pay 1K plus for one you are getting something really special.  i love the look of ibanez but the quality of guitar is far away from the price tag. 

and yes bruiser is sounds pretty bright, crystal clear with no ,muddyness and the action is still perfect after 18 years, no rust either, the chrome is like the day i bought it

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 08:07:18 PM »
i love the look of ibanez but the quality of guitar is far away from the price tag. 

Any Ibanez that comes from Japan is killer quality. I know that there are divisions in other parts of the world that didn`t measure up to the Japanese versions but it`s my understanding that these days it`s hard to tell the difference between the newer and older models.