Author Topic: Joe The Plumber  (Read 6812 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Joe The Plumber
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2008, 12:05:10 PM »
Joe the Plumber will not net near 250K.  Bad example.  Obama's tax policies will not prevent him from employing more people.  What will do that is his business. 

How do you know Joe the Plumber will not net near $250K?  And Joe isn’t really the focal point.  I think the point is that small businesses that earn over $250K will suffer.   

Obama's tax policies are going to hurt Joe and pretty much everyone else.  He'll raise taxes on businesses who will in turn raise the price of goods and services. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2008, 12:08:07 PM »

Assuming this guy was not a fraud and a liar and:

1. he was actually capable of buying this biz (most likely would have to be owner financed)
2. the biz actually made 280k (the number I've heard is closer to 100k).

His would pay a whopping 3% extra on the marginal amount over 250k

in other words his tax bill would go up ~ $900 a year

You'd think a Patriotic American such as Joe wouldn't have a problem with such a small increase to help out his country

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2008, 12:40:31 PM »
How do you know Joe the Plumber will not net near $250K?  And Joe isn’t really the focal point.  I think the point is that small businesses that earn over $250K will suffer.   

Obama's tax policies are going to hurt Joe and pretty much everyone else.  He'll raise taxes on businesses who will in turn raise the price of goods and services. 

Because he won't.  The details of his business have come out and he won't make no where near it.  KGO was talking about it yesterday.  Yes, small business will pay more.  Not so much that the extra tax will prevent them from hiring more help IF they need it.  Becuase if they needed it the revenue would be there.

The whole Joe the Plumber thing is stupid.

If people want to talk about the tax hike on people that make over 250K a year that's fine.  But using the Joe plumber example is dumb and that's what the presidential race media scrutiny has shown.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »

1. he was actually capable of buying this biz (most likely would have to be owner financed)

You'd think a Patriotic American such as Joe wouldn't have a problem with such a small increase to help out his country

Thats not the point.  Patriotism is not taxing people more to fund failed welfare programs. 

Everyone who works is already taxed way too much.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »
Because he won't.  The details of his business have come out and he won't make no where near it.  KGO was talking about it yesterday.  Yes, small business will pay more.  Not so much that the extra tax will prevent them from hiring more help IF they need it.  Becuase if they needed it the revenue would be there.

The whole Joe the Plumber thing is stupid.

If people want to talk about the tax hike on people that make over 250K a year that's fine.  But using the Joe plumber example is dumb and that's what the presidential race media scrutiny has shown.

Some radio station confirmed that he will not make $250K a year if he buys the business?  They must be clairvoyant.  I don't think any of us is in the position to say what the guy will make. 

I love the Joe the Plumber story.  Regardless of whether he can make $250K, etc., Obama's response to Joe speaks volumes about the difference between Obama and McCain on taxes and overall economic philosophy.  Completely different mindsets.  I doubt we can find a more clear example of Obama's desire to redistribute wealth than his answer to Joe.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2008, 01:04:59 PM »
Some radio station confirmed that he will not make $250K a year if he buys the business?  They must be clairvoyant.  I don't think any of us is in the position to say what the guy will make. 

I love the Joe the Plumber story.  Regardless of whether he can make $250K, etc., Obama's response to Joe speaks volumes about the difference between Obama and McCain on taxes and overall economic philosophy.  Completely different mindsets.  I doubt we can find a more clear example of Obama's desire to redistribute wealth than his answer to Joe.   

The guy is not making 250K and will not be making 250K.  Maybe one day he will when his business grows.  anyone body with common sense Is in a position to see that. No clairvoyance needed.  And if he did NET 250K in his first year, he'd be happy than a pig in sh1t and wouldn't care a rat's ass if he paid a couple of thousand more.

However,

He's NOT a licensed plumber and he was talking revenue NOT net profit.

Hence, his relevance is complete fantasy. 

EVEN so, as has been pointed out, the increase is nominal and would NOt prevent him from hiring other people.  what prevents him IS his amount of business.

Its bull sh1t milk for the anit-Obama boys.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2008, 01:10:25 PM »

1.Its HIS 900$! He gets to choose! He might not like what Obama want to do with it , ever thought of that?

2.What the hell is so wrong in being good at what you do? Lets assume that in 10 years Mr.Joe did really good business and spread out and now he is making 1M$, why is he being punished? Where is the equality? He's doing the same thing just more of it...why he need to pay more and not only pay more , pay more for more frivolous plans of Obama to SPREAD THE WEALTH.

3.Obama just want to take more money and throw it away, he never said once that he is going to check what the hell is going on. He just want to start new programs thus creating more financial black holes. :-\

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2008, 01:14:55 PM »
1.Its HIS 900$! He gets to choose! He might not like what Obama want to do with it , ever thought of that?

2.What the hell is so wrong in being good at what you do? Lets assume that in 10 years Mr.Joe did really good business and spread out and now he is making 1M$, why is he being punished? Where is the equality? He's doing the same thing just more of it...why he need to pay more and not only pay more , pay more for more frivolous plans of Obama to SPREAD THE WEALTH.

3.Obama just want to take more money and throw it away, he never said once that he is going to check what the hell is going on. He just want to start new programs thus creating more financial black holes. :-\

awwwwe   poor guy.  he'd have to pay $900 more from his 250K because evil commy Obama wants to punish him for being a capitalist.  Never mind the fact Joe the Plumber is so fvcking stupid he can't hired a good accountant.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »
awwwwe   poor guy.  he'd have to pay $900 more from his 250K because evil commy Obama wants to punish him for being a capitalist.  Never mind the fact Joe the Plumber is so fvcking stupid he can't hired a good accountant.

He made a good point when he said what happens when that number gets lowered to 150K?????????

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2008, 01:21:03 PM »
He made a good point when he said what happens when that number gets lowered to 150K?????????

Really?

OMG

Is the sky falling too?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2008, 01:22:54 PM »

Lets review:

Obama is a terrorist

Obama is a ARAB

Obama is a Muslim

Obama wants to make ALL marriages Gay Marriages

Obama wants to turn the white house into a pyramid

And he's CERTAINLY going to lower it from to 150K

Because he's evil like that and we shouldn't vote him and he's not a real american?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2008, 01:23:09 PM »
The guy is not making 250K and will not be making 250K.  Maybe one day he will when his business grows.  anyone body with common sense Is in a position to see that. No clairvoyance needed.  And if he did NET 250K in his first year, he'd be happy than a pig in sh1t and wouldn't care a rat's ass if he paid a couple of thousand more.

However,

EVEN so, as has been pointed out, the increase is nominal and would NOt prevent him from hiring other people.  what prevents him IS his amount of business.

You're convinced he will not make $250K.  I'm not.  I don’t know the facts about his situation or what he would earn in the future if he lined up all his ducks.  Neither do you, or anyone else for that matter.  Pure speculation.  

But as I said, Joe is not the point.  See my comments above.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2008, 01:36:31 PM »

Lets review:

Obama is a terrorist - HE HAS ASSOCIATED WITH SELF DESCRIBED TERRORISTS AYERES AND BERNADINE DORHN.

Obama is a ARAB - THAT WHERE HIS NAME ORIGINATES FROM, THOUGH HE IS NOT ONE.

Obama is a Muslim - I DONT THINK SO, ALTHOUGH HIS FATHER WAS AND HE WENT TO A MADRASSA AS A CHILD.

Obama wants to make ALL marriages Gay Marriages - LARRY SINCLAIR AGREES WITH YOU.

Obama wants to turn the white house into a pyramid - NO HE WANTS TO TURN IT INTO MECCA. LOL

And he's CERTAINLY going to lower it from to 150K - WOULD NOT DOUBT IT.

Because he's evil like that and we shouldn't vote him and he's not a real american? - NOT EVIL - BUT INCREDIBLY COMFORTABLE WITH

PEOPLE WHO HATE THE USA LIKE REV. WRIGHT, AYERES, DORHN, ODINGA, FARAKHAN. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2008, 01:43:13 PM »

Thats not the point.  Patriotism is not taxing people more to fund failed welfare programs. 

Everyone who works is already taxed way too much.   

How about borrowing trillions (in OUR NAME) to fund failed and unnecessary wars and bail out systemic banking failures that were the result of Republican led deregulation (the Dems share some blame too)

I guess Obama could be like the Repugs and just borrow the money instead.

How about spending some of OUR MONEY here in the USA for a change 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2008, 01:51:17 PM »
You're convinced he will not make $250K.  I'm not.  I don’t know the facts about his situation or what he would earn in the future if he lined up all his ducks.  Neither do you, or anyone else for that matter.  Pure speculation.  

But as I said, Joe is not the point.  See my comments above.  

Nothing pure about it.  he either does or doesn't.   It's 99% likely he won't his first year and IF he did, he'd be very happy.

Joe is a junk issue.  the 250K is the issue NOT Joe.

and it seems, unless you can provide other info, that we are talking about $900.   Oh heavens, anyone making 250K is REALLY going to feel that one.  what they should do is pay $900 more for a better accountant.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2008, 01:55:35 PM »

Obama wants to make ALL marriages Gay Marriages - LARRY SINCLAIR AGREES WITH YOU.

So does Craig...lol

Obama wants to turn the white house into a pyramid - NO HE WANTS TO TURN IT INTO MECCA. LOL

A pyramid is more spiritual and new age from an old age.

And he's CERTAINLY going to lower it from to 150K - WOULD NOT DOUBT IT.

wouldn't doubt it to the point of making a decision based on unfounded fear?

Because he's evil like that and we shouldn't vote him and he's not a real american? - NOT EVIL - BUT INCREDIBLY COMFORTABLE WITH

PEOPLE WHO HATE THE USA LIKE REV. WRIGHT, AYERES, DORHN, ODINGA, FARAKHAN. 

the USA or its government?   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2008, 02:00:39 PM »
the 250K is the issue NOT Joe.

I agree.  

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2008, 02:15:08 PM »

However,

I think you're missing the point, OzmO.  Ok, Joe doesn't make $250k.  Does that mean there aren't other who DO make $200-250K per year.  Joe represent the folks who DO make that kind of loot. 

My neighbor who lives two houses down has his own home restoration/addition business.  He easily makes $275K/year, yet they are struggling from paycheck to paycheck just to make ends meet due to taxes and health care.  Obama's redistribution plan will put my neighbor out of business and out on the street. 

Forget Joe the Plumber.  ::)  If it's not Joe, it's SOMEBODY!  This is real life stuff we're talking here! 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »
I think you're missing the point, OzmO.  Ok, Joe doesn't make $250k.  Does that mean there aren't other who DO make $200-250K per year.  Joe represent the folks who DO make that kind of loot. 

My neighbor who lives two houses down has his own home restoration/addition business.  He easily makes $275K/year, yet they are struggling from paycheck to paycheck just to make ends meet due to taxes and health care.  Obama's redistribution plan will put my neighbor out of business and out on the street. 

Forget Joe the Plumber.  ::)  If it's not Joe, it's SOMEBODY!  This is real life stuff we're talking here! 

I doubt his problems are due to taxes.  After all he's enjoying the benefits of the Bush Tax Cuts.

His problem is probably that he spends way too much money on other stuff - including health care

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »

Did anyone catch the part where Obama said he's proposing a 50% tax credit for small business for health care.

Tax credit = direct reduction of your tax liability.

If Joe the Fake Plumber were to own his imaginary company and pay 20k in health care costs he would get a 50% reduction in his tax BILL or 10K in tax savings (assuming I understand what Obama is proposing - I'm sure there are some caps and limitation).

Anyway - Joe the Fake Plumber would pay $900 more in income tax on that incremental amount from 250 to 280k and then get a tax credit of 10k on the (for purposes of this example) 20k in health care premiums that he pays. 

10,000 tax credit minus $900 tax increase = $9900 more in Joe the Fake Plumber's pocket

If the tax credit were only 1000 he would still be ahead by $100 (1000 tax credit - 900 tax increase).

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »
I doubt his problems are due to taxes.  After all he's enjoying the benefits of the Bush Tax Cuts.

His problem is probably that he spends way too much money on other stuff - including health care
Once again, even if it's not my neighbor, it's someone else.  We could go in circles with this issue.  I give an example, then someone talks about the individual and not the impact of the economic plan. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2008, 03:22:15 PM »

Sorry that's complete bull sh1t.

You friend needs to learn how to mange his money better.   He's whining a bucket of crap to you. 

If Obama's tax plan will put him out on the street, well then any one making 100K is a sure as homeless. 

right C-500, com on.  geez.  that is such a pile of crap.    ::)  (eye roll not in a personal way  ;D)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2008, 04:17:40 PM »
Republicans, what is this crap?

You want to spend huge money on national defense and senseless wars and then you don't want to pay more taxes?

Well, guess what? Wars and militaries cost money, and someone has to pay.

So shut your damn mouth and volunteer more money on defense spending. Support the troops with something besides a bumper sticker, give more of your income.

Are you not patriotic enough? Republicans must hate America.
G