Author Topic: Coach! Strength and Conditioning question.  (Read 3095 times)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Coach! Strength and Conditioning question.
« on: December 01, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »
Coach, I was wondering what the main excersises and workouts you have your MMA fighters use for their strength and conditioning workouts.

Im starting to get back into fight training and Id, I want to try a different approach this time, Im thinking of using more basic compound movements for explosiveness (focusing on cleans, deads, squats and bench), rather than my old approach a bodybuilding style lifting split (Mon - shoulder/tris, tues chest/bis, wed off, thurs legs, fri back, yes dumb I know).

This is combination with running, sparring and grappling of course.

Im interested to see what excersises you recommend, as Ive never really lifted for explosiveness and conditioning, its always been isolation movements combined combined with bench, squat and deads on their respective days. (It worked Ok, but not as well as Id like as obviously the training wasnt specifically geared for the sport)

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
Re: Coach! Strength and Conditioning question.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »
Girls and sons who have not been loved by their fathers seek attention once teens and adults to compensate for what they didnt have originally. Fathers either left them alone, or were distant most of the time and not encouraging them. Some even despised them which would shape their personality and the way they d interact with others for the rest of their life.
They are extremistic in everything they do, always looking exageratly for attention, and have troubles adapting to society's rules, because they also have troubles defining their own identity and respecting authority and hierarchy.

Also boys who got picked on by others during childhood and adolescence -often sons without a father figure- try to compensate by lifting weights, to develop muscles and survive in ther male world. They re insecure because they re girly, childish, feminine having been raised by a single mom. They lift obsessively hoping it will transform them into men, to compensate for their lack of influence from a father figure that was not there. Unfortunaltey they can get as big as they can it doesnt cure their insecurity and who they truly are, how they grew up being raised by a single mom. They re no as manly as other men whatever they do, and they often have a big lack of masculine presence they dont know how to balance, hence often being borderline homosexuals while trying to get their manhood back thru various manly activities (mma, cars, weight lifting etc). They are often the ones that, in order to get respect from other males will go the steroids route to get even "bigger" attemptint to cure their insecurity , but being natural not being "enough", they still feel "too small", insecure, amongst other males. The lack of a father figure also often means they didnt have guidance to continue studies and are often working shitty manual jobs.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:49:04 AM »
So what you're telling us is that you're either fat fuck that doesn't train and that's your justification when other succeed or you're a skinny twink just on here to look at other oiled up men in sparkly thongs?

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »
LOL at coach thinking I wrote this, not getting the joke.

Look around a few other recent threads, coach :)

aesthetics

• Getbig IV
  • ~lil' cutey~
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:03:48 AM »
lift heavy in the low rep range. make sure you always power through your concentric, the positive portion of the rep, without going slack on the negative, e.g. bouncing bar off your chest on bench press. deads, cleans, squats, and the presses are all great for building power, make sure you do some heavy, heavy corework aswell because all of your striking power originates in your legs and your core

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:13 AM »
So what you're telling us is that you're either fat fuck that doesn't train and that's your justification when other succeed or you're a skinny twink just on here to look at other oiled up men in sparkly thongs?
Lol Coach.
Any insight into what I asked?
Or is that delving too deep into what people pay you for?
Im just looking for general guidelines and movements to focus on, not planned out workouts or anything.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 11:15:51 AM »
lift heavy in the low rep range. make sure you always power through your concentric, the positive portion of the rep, without going slack on the negative, e.g. bouncing bar off your chest on bench press. deads, cleans, squats, and the presses are all great for building power, make sure you do some heavy, heavy corework aswell because all of your striking power originates in your legs and your core
Thanks, and yeah, good thoughts on the heavy core work, always done lots of core work, but not heavy weighted core work.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »
Bump for the coach

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 12:06:44 PM »
I'm on the road right now. I'll answer soon.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 12:08:51 PM »
I'm on the road right now. I'll answer soon.
Thanks Coach, I appreciate it.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »
ur welcome

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 12:10:45 PM »
Lol @ UberRay...
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 12:59:49 PM »

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 07:04:16 PM »
Bump for teh coach

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 09:27:37 AM »
Lol
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 09:35:22 AM »
I could tell you, but then I'd have to bill you. :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 09:40:50 AM »
I could tell you, but then I'd have to bill you. :D
;D ;D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 09:43:59 AM »
Coach, I was wondering what the main excersises and workouts you have your MMA fighters use for their strength and conditioning workouts.

Im starting to get back into fight training and Id, I want to try a different approach this time, Im thinking of using more basic compound movements for explosiveness (focusing on cleans, deads, squats and bench), rather than my old approach a bodybuilding style lifting split (Mon - shoulder/tris, tues chest/bis, wed off, thurs legs, fri back, yes dumb I know).

This is combination with running, sparring and grappling of course.

Im interested to see what excersises you recommend, as Ive never really lifted for explosiveness and conditioning, its always been isolation movements combined combined with bench, squat and deads on their respective days. (It worked Ok, but not as well as Id like as obviously the training wasnt specifically geared for the sport)

It's a little detailed but I can give you the short answer before I leave. I run a 10-12 week program broken into 3 periodizations. I don't take fighters last minute (I consider 4-5 weeks last minute). I the first 4 weeks consists of 3-4 days per week in the gym consisting of the main lifts bench, box squat, power cleans and DL (usually with a trap bar) also included are explosive movements like box jumps and a lot of heavy med-ball work (dynamax) followed up with supplemental lifts. I want them set PR's every week. Periodization 2 will consist of keeping with some of the core lifts but now we take out the power cleans and add kettlebell work this usually consists of a KB complex (Get up's, swings and snatchs) and a barbell complex. During this phase we are only on the gym two days per week. The third day is our strongman day, we do 5-7 strongman stations as seperate exercises. In phase 3 (last 4 weeks before fight) we are still in the 2 days per week. First day is full body training, second day is a fight circuit (heavy) that consists of carrying and throwing 200lb heavy bag (for time), kettlebell work, jump band work, etc. We also us a weighted vest for  quite a few of the movements. The third day consists of a strongman circuit (high CNS day) this will test the power, conditioning and mental capacity of the fighter.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 09:45:06 AM »
It's a little detailed but I can give you the short answer before I leave. I run a 10-12 week program broken into 3 periodizations. I don't take fighters last minute (I consider 4-5 weeks last minute). I the first 4 weeks consists of 3-4 days per week in the gym consisting of the main lifts bench, box squat, power cleans and DL (usually with a trap bar) also included are explosive movements like box jumps and a lot of heavy med-ball work (dynamax) followed up with supplemental lifts. I want them set PR's every week. Periodization 2 will consist of keeping with some of the core lifts but now we take out the power cleans and add kettlebell work this usually consists of a KB complex (Get up's, swings and snatchs) and a barbell complex. During this phase we are only on the gym two days per week. The third day is our strongman day, we do 5-7 strongman stations as seperate exercises. In phase 3 (last 4 weeks before fight) we are still in the 2 days per week. First day is full body training, second day is a fight circuit (heavy) that consists of carrying and throwing 200lb heavy bag (for time), kettlebell work, jump band work, etc. We also us a weighted vest for  quite a few of the movements. The third day consists of a strongman circuit (high CNS day) this will test the power, conditioning and mental capacity of the fighter.
damn Joe no wonder your fighters are always in shape, good stuff.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 09:46:42 AM »
Gracias Coach. This really helps. Sounds pretty hardcore.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 09:53:49 AM »
My bill is in the mail. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

aesthetics

• Getbig IV
  • ~lil' cutey~
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 10:37:36 AM »

i'm seeing a lack of cardio in this, i assume because the question was geared more toward a writeup on increasing strength, yeah? how much cardio do you normally have fighters do? seems like cardio would be the most important aspect, aside from fighting talent, for a professional fighter

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 10:59:28 AM »
Lol @ lack of cardio. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!