Author Topic: Comicbooks that need to be adapted to the Big Screen  (Read 43060 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Comicbooks that need to be adapted to the Big Screen
« on: September 22, 2011, 09:29:10 PM »
My vote goes to American Century
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Century_(comics)

I have it, and it's true life stories about Harry Block/Harry Kraft, a jewish American GI who fakes his death and says FU to America---he goes to Central America, there is T'n A, sex, violence, intrigue...the comic, is pretty much a graphic novel type, it harks back to the old days, except the women are generally naked.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: Comicbooks that need to be adapted to the Big Screen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 08:55:52 AM »
Preacher

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_(comics)

Preacher would be good....I thought they were working on that already

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 01:20:02 AM »
Preacher would be good....I thought they were working on that already

Yes, they had several starts, but afaik they aren't working on it atm.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 06:12:17 AM »
Yes, they had several starts, but afaik they aren't working on it atm.

did you read the whole comic series on Preacher?...what did you think?..I read the whole thing from beginning to end

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 06:22:10 AM »
did you read the whole comic series on Preacher?...what did you think?..I read the whole thing from beginning to end

Yep, read it all, but a few years ago.

One of the best comics i have ever read.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 06:23:02 AM »
Yep, read it all, but a few years ago.

One of the best comics i have ever read.

agreed...the ending was shocking though..wasn't expecting that

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 05:16:55 PM »
100 Bullets

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 02:43:00 AM »
They need to revamp the Spawn series with today's technology it could be great

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »
Grendel, I have a few of the comics
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grendel_(comics)

and then there was this comic that had some Birman who wore a black mask that had staples all over it...

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 04:56:01 PM »
Parker, DK, Tu Holmes and others - a question.

I want to read some comics by mostly Marvel & DC - X Men, Avengers, Superman etc. For X Men and Avengers, is there any series you'd recommend that's maybe a reboot or a starting point that goes into the origins of each character? I'm mostly interested in Hulk, Batman, X Men and Avengers, maybe also Thor and Fantastic Four.

I know they did a reboot for Superman in 1987 and I've been reading some of those, which are good. There are lots of sites that have whole PDF downloads, so let me know which would be a good starting point for Marvel. TIA.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »
Parker, DK, Tu Holmes and others - a question.

I want to read some comics by mostly Marvel & DC - X Men, Avengers, Superman etc. For X Men and Avengers, is there any series you'd recommend that's maybe a reboot or a starting point that goes into the origins of each character? I'm mostly interested in Hulk, Batman, X Men and Avengers, maybe also Thor and Fantastic Four.

I know they did a reboot for Superman in 1987 and I've been reading some of those, which are good. There are lots of sites that have whole PDF downloads, so let me know which would be a good starting point for Marvel. TIA.

good question, i need to start up with a few of them as well.

Now the best reboot i know and an absolute must-read comic book is "Iron Man: Extremis" and the follow ups.

Then you should read "Batman: Year One" and "Batman: Hush", you'll get a pretty good view at the Batman universe here.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 06:28:15 PM »

good question, i need to start up with a few of them as well.

Now the best reboot i know and an absolute must-read comic book is "Iron Man: Extremis" and the follow ups.

Then you should read "Batman: Year One" and "Batman: Hush", you'll get a pretty good view at the Batman universe here.

Cool, thanks. Batman: Year One has been made into an hour-long animated movie and is already on all the torrents and Warez sites, so I'm going to check that out too.

If you need DL links for the comics, let me know :P :D

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 06:54:07 PM »
Cool, thanks. Batman: Year One has been made into an hour-long animated movie and is already on all the torrents and Warez sites, so I'm going to check that out too.

If you need DL links for the comics, let me know :P :D

i would very much appreciate that link!  ;D ;D ;D

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 08:42:19 PM »
~

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 12:41:37 PM »

I used to love Little Lotta comics...loved all of the Harvey Comics....are they still in business??..I don't think so.....love Little Dot as well

Purge_WTF

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 09:48:02 AM »
  Sandman:

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 10:00:01 AM »
I used to love Little Lotta comics...loved all of the Harvey Comics....are they still in business??..I don't think so.....love Little Dot as well

They quit publishing in 1982 but I suppose some of the brands live in.

People would complain about Little Lotta these days...all these butthurt overly sensitive fatties.
~

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
They quit publishing in 1982 but I suppose some of the brands live in.

People would complain about Little Lotta these days...all these butthurt overly sensitive fatties.

very good point

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »
Here are two...

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »
Battle Angel Alita, a long forgotten Japanese manga, there's been talk of it in the last few years being made into a film by James Cameron

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=69771

Sam Mendes Believes PREACHER Is Best Suited For Television

The new James Bond film, "Skyfall," is set to open in U.S. theaters tomorrow and if it's as good as I hear it is than director Sam Mendes is about to become one of the most sought after directors in Hollywood. During an interview with Collider Mendes discusses one of his projects that never got off the ground, the adaptation of DC Comic's "Preacher." He says that "Skyfall" has fulfilled his interest in tackling an action movie, so don't expect him to take another crack at a "Preacher" film.

Almost seems strange that a director like Sam Mendes, that pulled off the impossible, by making what most consider the best Bond film ever had such a difficult time adapting "Preacher." As you will hear in the video below he had to walk away from the project because he just couldn't figure out way to make it work on screen.

"It’s a brilliant graphic novel, I loved it, but a lot of it takes place in the real world and we’re surrounded now by fantasy and superhero genre pictures which are full of eye candy. And actually, Preacher is much more real world, it’s more of a Southern Gothic with elements of the fantastic in it; it’s a quite difficult thing to balance."

“If you look at somewhere between Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead, True Blood—that world of real but fantasy, the two mixed, it’s young and sexy and it’s got many, many chapters. Actually when I saw that it was a possible HBO or a possible cable show, I thought ‘that’s a great way to do it,’ because then you can let it develop gradually, because there’s also a huge amount of it.”

Preacher tells the story of Jesse Custer, a preacher in the small Texas town of Annville. Custer was accidentally possessed by the supernatural creature named Genesis in an incident which killed his entire congregation and flattened his church.

Genesis, the product of the unauthorized, unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon, is an infant with no sense of individual will. However, as it is composed of both pure goodness and pure evil, it might have enough power to rival that of God Himself. In other words, Jesse Custer, bonded to Genesis, may have become the most powerful being in the whole of living existence.

Custer, driven by a strong sense of right and wrong, goes on a journey across the United States attempting to (literally) find God, who abandoned Heaven the moment Genesis was born. He also begins to discover the truth about his new powers. They allow him, when he wills it, to command the obedience of those who hear and comprehend his words. He is joined by his old girlfriend Tulip O'Hare, as well as a hard-drinking Irish vampire named Cassidy.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 12:05:28 AM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=74333

Todd McFarlane Updates On New SPAWN Movie; Second Animated Series In The Works

Speaking with MTV Geek at Toy Fair, writer Todd McFarlane offers an update on the next Spawn film. A sequel to the critically panned 1997 film was in the works, but in 2009, it was reported that McFarlane was working on a stand-alone script which would be completely different from the original. Now, he says that he's still working on the script, and he reveals that an Oscar-winning actor is on board (though he won't say who). "I continue writing pages here and there. I have a guy waiting in the sidelines, an Academy Award-winning actor. Every three weeks he's on the phone going, 'Todd, where's the script? Todd, where's the script?' I can't say who it is. You could [narrow it down].

"He came out to the office. He gave me his pitch, and I gave him mine," he added. "The pitch I gave was that we could do ten of these for the next ten years and he wouldn't have to be 22 for the rest of his life." Additionally, McFarlane stated that a new Spawn animated series is in the works, saying that they're now able to do things that weren't able to be done on the HBO series which ran 1997-1999. "We have 90 minutes all set and ready to go, other than sending it to an animation house. We've done all the voice recordings, we've done all the backgrounds, so the technology is way better than it was a decade ago; there are some spectacular things we can do now that we weren't able to when we were on HBO."

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »
http://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/the-movie-toy-chest?utm_content=sixpack&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Nation&utm_campaign=3.28.13%20NATION%3A%20The%20Playbook

G.I. Joe: Retaliation marks the second time the little plastic soldiers have become big, meaty killing machines on film. They follow a long tradition of toys-turned-movies, ranging from logical fare like TMNT to head-scratching adaptations like Battleship, which for some reason featured gigantic alien monsters, the iconic pegs as missiles, and Rihanna screaming while shooting guns while wet. Which was actually an improvement on the game.
Which iconic toys from your past are next to hit the big screen? Here are a few ideas.

M.U.S.C.L.E Men: The Reckoning

The toy story:
 A series of tiny, interchangeable, inch-high pink men in wrestling get-ups.

Starring:
 Warwick Davis, Tony Cox, Peter Dinklage, and a truckload of HGH

The movie:
 A troupe of underachieving dwarves submits to a secret government agency's bizarre tests to craft the perfect super-soldier: a soldier whose strength and agility are unparalleled, and whose small stature makes him the perfect covert operative. The result will create heroes, but in the depths of every psyche lurks a villain. A tiny, tiny villain.

The tagline:
 "The ultimate little pink smackdown."

Rock Lords: Rocked & Loaded

The toy story:
 Rock Lords were an offshoot of Gobots, except instead of transforming into helicopters, motorcycles, cars, and tanks, they transformed into… rocks.

Starring:
 Dwayne Johnson, Chris Rock, '90s Charles S. Dutton

The movie:
 Deep in a forgotten mine in Appalachia, an ancient battle rages among the good and evil Rock Lords for control of the dark underworld. Then they all turn into rocks and just sit there for an hour or so.

The tagline:
 "Rocks will roll."

Lincoln Logs: The Lincolning

The toy story:
 A popular, woody alternative to LEGOs, w/ the titular logs forming nothing but log cabins and rectangular structures.

Starring:
 Daniel Day-Lewis

The movie:
 A hard-hitting environmental thriller in which a greedy logger (Day-Lewis) seeks to clear-cut Lincolnlandia… until a resourceful group of scrappy environmentalists "logs" tremendous time and unorthodox tactics to thwart his plans to line the forests with LEGO houses.

The Tagline:
 "Emancipate your expectations."

Stretch Armstrong: The Adventure Begins

The toy story:
 Stretch was a hyper-elastic, blonde-bouffanted dude with rubber for bones.

Starring:
 Dolph Lundgren

The movie:
 Initially, Taylor Lautner was supposed to be stretch, until casting agents realized abs don't stretch out well. This film finds supercop Stretch Armstrong (Lundgren) fending off a national security threat from Street Fighter II's Dhalsim, who has co-opted Stretch's abilities and added the dreaded "Yoga Flame".

Tagline:
 "Beware the long arm of the law."

The Rubik's Cube Theory

The toy story:
 That effing toy that made you feel like an idiot about your inability to make a monochromatic square.

Starring:
 Nicolas Cage

The movie:
 Cage stars as a master cryptographer who finds a mysterious cube that, when shifted into basic monochromatic color schemes, unlocks the mysteries of the universe… and the wrath of Hell itself. Then he freaks the eff out.

The tagline:
 "What is the color of fate?"

Enter the Spinja

The toy story:
 Spinjas were little tops shaped like ninjas, which fought it out in a little arena until they just kind of stopped spinning. G.I. Joe seems to have taken a cue from this.

Starring:
 Jean-Claude Van Damme, Bolo Yeung, Spinderella

The movie:
 Essentially a remake of Bloodsport, in which Van Damme enters a competition where spinning martial artists from all over the world compete to see who can twirl the longest without vomiting. Van Damme learns to spin with his eyes shut while doing the splits, thus decimating a vomit-spewing Chong Li. Forest Whitaker shows up for comic relief.

The tagline:
 "Action so tough, it'll make your head spin."

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 05:16:07 AM »
100 Bullets

Yes. :)

Sandman:

Most definitely yes. Needs a great screenwriter though. Numerous films should be made.