Author Topic: Any big guys here gain lot weight then lose it?  (Read 2698 times)

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
Any big guys here gain lot weight then lose it?
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:39:45 AM »
HOW?

I even am scared to bash joints with jogging.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Any big guys here gain lot weight then lose it?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »
Walk fast. Trust me it will work. Try this after getting the okay from your doctor. I call it the ladder. Get on a quality treadmill. Put it on 3.8 MPH.  It's a pretty fast walk but far from jogging. Walk for 400 meters or one lap. Most treadmills have an electronic track showing 400 meters or will show .25 of a mile. That first lap is on zero grade incline. The second lap raise the incline 1%. Complete your second lap. The third lap raise it to 2% and so on. Keep going until you are shot but complete that last lap. Reward yourself with a final lap with zero grade. If you can go through the laps and get to a 13% grade which is a 1% increase per lap you will be in running shape.

I don't care how long it takes you. Train 5 to 6 days week. Every time try to beat your last incline record but it's okay to have easy days where you are not pushing yourself but you are still doing something. You won't improve in a linear fashion but the general graph will be up. When you reach 8% you will be ready to run but wait till you can complete 13% grade.  If you are a really fat guy maybe you can only complete one lap at 3.8 MPH and zero grade. If you are in some shape maybe 6 %.  Wherever you are just work till your legs, lungs, and heart are in shape to start running. Contact me when you reach this point and we will start a running program. Just remember to get the okay from your doc. You don't want to drop dead on a treadmill.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »
I weighed around 270-275 during football season for 4 years in college. Off season I would drop to around 250. A normal weight for me would be around 235-240 at 6'2, still is now since high school. Had to keep near the football weight year round.

Only difference I made was watching my carb intake, to either gain or lose weight. I trained heavy (squats, power cleans & jerks, squat cleans, etc) pretty much the same way. One main difference was that I used interval training for stamina, favoring the Tabata protocol. Low carbs & interval training seem to melt the fat off and keep the muscle mass very well. Tabata ( as one example of interval training) requires 20 seconds of intense effort, followed by a 10 second paus and than back to the 20 effort again, pause 10 seconds, etc. Usually anywhere from 5 to 8 cycles are used.

I still suggest to most  people, men & women, to maintain their carb intake to 100 grams daily. Which may includes avoiding most grains/bread/pasta.  After 3 to 4 week a couple of carb days (usually weekends) can be allowed. Using common sense in the process. If 100 grams don't seem to work fast enough for your body type, than drop to 60 grams or 40 grams at the most.
Lower than 40 grams, for some folks, can have a negative affect on the normal function of the body. Gluten diets also appear to work well, where fat loss is concerned.

Walking (power walking usually) is very effective, but start off slowly at first. If having sand, uneven trails or hills around your area, that that might be first choice. Treadmills are good, with the adjustable inclines. And a lot have TV screens in some gyms. Reading, or audio books, are used by many .  Good Luck
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 11:05:40 AM »
was up to 235 lbs at 5 ft 10 lost down to 140lbs. height stayed the same though. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
F

spidey007

• Getbig II
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »
I weighed around 270-275 during football season for 4 years in college. Off season I would drop to around 250. A normal weight for me would be around 235-240 at 6'2, still is now since high school. Had to keep near the football weight year round.
 I still suggest to most  people, men & women, to maintain their carb intake to 100 grams daily. Which may includes avoiding most grains/bread/pasta.  After 3 to 4 week a couple of carb days (usually weekends) can be allowed. Using common sense in the process. If 100 grams don't seem to work fast enough for your body type, than drop to 60 grams or 40 grams at the most.
Lower than 40 grams, for some folks, can have a negative affect on the normal function of the body. Gluten diets also appear to work well, where fat loss is concerned.

Spot on.   Just reduce carbs quite a bit and pick up cardio. 
I did this and went from a jacked, muscular permabulker of 240ilbs to a RIPPED, chisled, muscular 175 pounder.  I can't tell you how many people ask what i'm on now.  It's all an illusion.  Lighter, ripped is in.  Stop eating so much.  Don't worry about "muscle wasting" etc.  Just work out and train.  Your muscles aren't going anywhere.  Eat protein.

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »
HOW?

I even am scared to bash joints with jogging.

thx bros will add lots of cardio, reduce carbs to min, and repeat..