Author Topic: Dads and Wrestling  (Read 2461 times)

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Dads and Wrestling
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:15:49 PM »
Obviously, not all of us had our own dad in the squared circle like Karl, but to what extent did you bond with your dad over wrestling? 

My dad watched wrestling with me, took me to the occasional match at the Roanoke Civic Center, and so forth.  Years after I had grown into adulthood and was visiting my parents one Thanksgiving weekend, I was flipping through the stations and found wrestling on.  I asked Dad if he wanted to watch for a while. 

It turns out that he never liked "rasslin' "   He only watched it and learned enough about it to talk to me about it because I was something I enjoyed. 
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Dads and Wrestling
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 05:25:24 PM »
The ONLY thing I had in common with growing up.  We would watch on tv and he took me to live events on a regular basis.  Hated all other "sports". But loved wrestling.  He is still a bit of a mark.  Lol. 

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »
Never watched it with me, he used to laugh because it was 'fake'.  We did go see Big Daddy when we were on holiday one year though.

Strangely, as a dad now, I can't get my eldest into it much, he'll watch if it's on, but he's not overly fussed.

:( ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 02:02:27 AM »
Obviously, not all of us had our own dad in the squared circle like Karl, but to what extent did you bond with your dad over wrestling? 

My dad watched wrestling with me, took me to the occasional match at the Roanoke Civic Center, and so forth.  Years after I had grown into adulthood and was visiting my parents one Thanksgiving weekend, I was flipping through the stations and found wrestling on.  I asked Dad if he wanted to watch for a while. 

It turns out that he never liked "rasslin' "   He only watched it and learned enough about it to talk to me about it because I was something I enjoyed. 

Sounds like a good man.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 06:15:51 AM »
Good stories.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 10:17:08 AM »
My dad loved wrestling, took me to many matches.

A very fond memory:  Flair did a retirement angle when I was about 13 or so.  I was too cool to cry by then.  I was laying on the couch, and started to cry during his talk.  Embarrassed, I quietly glanced over my shoulder at my dad.

He was crying too!!