Author Topic: Sam Byrd 1050lb Squat at 198lb - New 'All-Time' World Record  (Read 5753 times)

Polish Power

• Getbig IV
Sam Byrd 1050lb Squat at 198lb - New 'All-Time' World Record
« on: November 30, 2008, 07:09:10 PM »

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
Re: Sam Byrd 1050lb Squat at 198lb - New 'All-Time' World Record
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 07:05:18 AM »
high

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 03:03:16 PM »
Compare that lift of Sam Byrd to Andrey Beyaev's 880 lbs squat:

As empty as paradise

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 03:48:46 PM »
high

How can you accurately judge depth from either of those camera angles?  Give me a freaking break.    ::)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 05:42:46 PM »
Compare that lift of Sam Byrd to Andrey Beyaev's 880 lbs squat:

Hedge, be realistic.  you can't compare them.  They are apples and oranges.  Sam's squat was done out of a monolift in multiply gear.  This was the IPA meet he squatted at in 2007, but I'm assuming he used the same gear he did the at the SPF meet.  I don't' know Sam Byrd directly, but I know people who know him (and speak very highly of him as a person and as a freak squatter) and I've been told point blank he set out to prove a point with those squats.  Remember, he holds the all time squat record in the 198's (this 1050 done 8/19/07), the 220's (1100 done 6/7/08 @ 219 in the SPF done 6/7/08) and the 242's (1107 done 6/14/08 @ 228 in the APF).  This is all time world records in three different weight classes within less than 1 year of each other.   I know a couple of the SPF judges for that meet, and I trust their calling it as they saw it (I wasn't at the meet).   To think 6 judges were off that much is kind of a hard reach.    If I remember right, Sam Byrd supposedly has a 700+ lb RAW squat under his belt in a meet too. 

Andrey in some respects is a more impressive feat of strength because he did it in single ply gear with a walkout.  I personally think walking out like he did makes the lift that much more dangerous.    Personally, I believe in the single ply gear (I only lift in IPF approved basic gear) but I hate the walkout.  I'm just too chickenshit I'll break my ankle again.     

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 01:45:42 PM »
Sams squat was good.The rule is BREAK parallel,there is no extra points for extra depth.Personally,I dont care for the walkout.I think it just adds a danger that doesnt need to be there.Its like not getting a handoff in the bench.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 02:03:08 PM »
The depth looked fine. Not the deepest possible but thats not what its about.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »
Sams squat was good.The rule is BREAK parallel,there is no extra points for extra depth.Personally,I dont care for the walkout.I think it just adds a danger that doesnt need to be there.Its like not getting a handoff in the bench.

I agree.  All of the squats i do in training  are walked out---only because there isn't a monolift for miles around here.  If I had my choice, i'd only squat in a monolift.  The walkout just isn't worth the extra risk I feel with it.   

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 04:04:17 PM »
I agree.  All of the squats i do in training  are walked out---only because there isn't a monolift for miles around here.  If I had my choice, i'd only squat in a monolift.  The walkout just isn't worth the extra risk I feel with it.   
honestly i think a lot of guys take too many steps back when they squat, i see these clowns in the gym taking a weight off the rack and practically taking a walk with it acroos the gym, you can't be squatting with any intensity if you have to take 3-4 steps back to the rack with each foot at the end of a set, one small step with each foot is all you need, just enough to clear the rack.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 11:13:29 AM »
honestly i think a lot of guys take too many steps back when they squat, i see these clowns in the gym taking a weight off the rack and practically taking a walk with it acroos the gym, you can't be squatting with any intensity if you have to take 3-4 steps back to the rack with each foot at the end of a set, one small step with each foot is all you need, just enough to clear the rack.

The thing that I find dangerous is this.I blew off my patella and shattered my knee cap.I tried to come back and lift in the USPF.The walkout was not too much of a problem.The problem was getting the weight back in the rack after squatting.It just felt like my knee would explode no matter how much I practiced or how light or heavy the weight.F@@@ THAT.I blew it off once and once was more then enough.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 12:48:44 PM »
sam's squats were badass.. all of them records for a reason.

judges score they lifts.. if all three, no matter the organization white light a lift it's a good lift. Don't have the athlete for kicking serious ass, blame the judges if you don't like the call.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 01:21:10 PM »
sam's squats were badass.. all of them records for a reason.

judges score they lifts.. if all three, no matter the organization white light a lift it's a good lift. Don't have the athlete for kicking serious ass, blame the judges if you don't like the call.

Wow.

Did you know that Mike Miller got three whites for his 1220 lbs squat, and still asked to have that lift overturned HIMSELF?

But hey, maybe Mike Miller himself was wrong.

The lift must've been good, because "all three judges gave him white". ::)

And Sam Byrd is a badass, a good guy, a family father, a legend, a cornerstone of our society et al, bla, bla bla..

I know.

But last time I checked, you don't get to add bonus inches to your squat depth based on your character.
As empty as paradise

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 08:35:30 AM »

Wow.

Did you know that Mike Miller got three whites for his 1220 lbs squat, and still asked to have that lift overturned HIMSELF?

But hey, maybe Mike Miller himself was wrong.

The lift must've been good, because "all three judges gave him white". ::)

And Sam Byrd is a badass, a good guy, a family father, a legend, a cornerstone of our society et al, bla, bla bla..

I know.

But last time I checked, you don't get to add bonus inches to your squat depth based on your character.

The squat broke,period.Anyone can see it was good.He had world judges on the sides and an USPF guy as the head judge.Congrats,your the first and only person Ive seen who said it was high.Even USPF guys have said it was clearly good.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »
The squat broke,period.Anyone can see it was good.He had world judges on the sides and an USPF guy as the head judge.Congrats,your the first and only person Ive seen who said it was high.Even USPF guys have said it was clearly good.
No shit.   

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 09:42:22 PM »
i was there. i loaded the plates..i am off to the right of the screen out of the camera but i was right there..trust me it was a good squat. the judges were tough all day..they weren't giving anything
irongearco.com

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 06:05:04 PM »
i was there. i loaded the plates..i am off to the right of the screen out of the camera but i was right there..trust me it was a good squat. the judges were tough all day..they weren't giving anything

Check this Kazmaier squat.

Then compare both his squat and Byrd's, or Donnie Thompson, to this illustration of how deep a proper squat should go.

Then tell me Sam Byrd is squatting as deep as Kazmaier is.

Sure, Sam Byrd is a strong guy.

That won't make that squat of his legit though.

As empty as paradise

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 08:26:12 PM »

Then tell me Sam Byrd is squatting as deep as Kazmaier is.

Sure, Sam Byrd is a strong guy.

That won't make that squat of his legit though.

That drawing of squat depth is very common, but I'm just not sure its accurate for a wide stance squatter.   Its been a point of discussion for a while in my mind, especially with so many big squats being one in a monolift with a completely different stance. 

io856

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 03:53:24 AM »
Check this Kazmaier squat.

wow powerlifting used to look so clean and professional

what happened?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 06:52:01 AM »

That drawing of squat depth is very common, but I'm just not sure its accurate for a wide stance squatter.   Its been a point of discussion for a while in my mind, especially with so many big squats being done in a monolift with a completely different stance. 

Why would it not be accurate for a wide stance squatter?
As empty as paradise

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 10:41:06 AM »
Why would it not be accurate for a wide stance squatter?

Because your leg position changes relative to your hips the wider the stance.    I started thinking about this after reading Rippetoes Starting Strength (the second edition).    That picture is of what is commonly accepted as an "olympic" squat---bar relatively high on the neck above the rear delts, feet roughly shoulderwidth apart or slightly narrower (based on foot and knee position relative to the hips).  Even in the IPF many of the lifters are holding the bar much lower on the rear delts and take a much wider stance than what is represented by that picture.  It gets worse the more equipment used.   In some cases setup and execution resembles nothing like that picture. 

This is where I really noticed it and probably the only way I can explain it online (short of getting a lean lifter to sit for a series of pictures in a pair of speedos---not going to happen, sorry  :) ):   sit on a box set right at (or right below) parallel with your feet right at shoulder width  You should form the angle represented by the picture ideally.  Then move your feet in narrower than shoulder width, move them out 3 inches past shoulder width, and then move them out to an extreme wide stance.  Notice how the top of the leg, the knee and hip position seems to change?  Thats because your "parallel" point (as defined here) changes relative to the leg postion. 

That picture is the commonly accepted one but like I said, because of this I'm not sure if its accurate for a wide stance squater.   Also remember the wider the stance, the angle of view of the stifle vs the coxofemoral joint will be more difficult to ascertain because the leg position changes the perception of the top of the quad/hip. 

This is all academic, and its not something I want to deterioriate into an argument, so please dont' take it this way.  Its just one of those things I think about when driving home from work. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 11:03:48 AM »
Because your leg position changes relative to your hips the wider the stance.    I started thinking about this after reading Rippetoes Starting Strength (the second edition).    That picture is of what is commonly accepted as an "olympic" squat---bar relatively high on the neck above the rear delts, feet roughly shoulderwidth apart or slightly narrower (based on foot and knee position relative to the hips).  Even in the IPF many of the lifters are holding the bar much lower on the neck and take a much wider stance than what is represented by that picture.  It gets worse the more equipment used.   In some cases setup and execution resembles nothing like that picture. 

This is where I really noticed it and probably the only way I can explain it online (short of getting a lean lifter to sit for a series of pictures in a pair of speedos---not going to happen, sorry  :) ):   sit on a box set right at (or right below) parallel with your feet right at shoulder width  You should form the angle represented by the picture ideally.  Then move your feet in narrower than shoulder width, move them out 3 inches past shoulder width, and then move them out to an extreme wide stance.  Notice how the top of the leg, the knee and hip position seems to change?  Thats because your "parallel" point (as defined here) changes relative to the leg postion. 

That picture is the commonly accepted one but like I said, because of this I'm not sure if its accurate for a wide stance squater.   Also remember the wider the stance, the angle of view of the stifle vs the coxofemoral joint will be more difficult to ascertain because the leg position changes the perception of the top of the quad/hip. 

This is all academic, and its not something I want to deterioriate into an argument, so please dont' take it this way.  Its just one of those things I think about when driving home from work. 

I'm not trying to get into an argument either. I was just curious about your reasoning.

Nice post BTW.

I see what you're saying and I somewhat agree that wide stance squats looks different.

But I still think it's pretty easy to see that Byrd is nowhere near going as deep as Kazmaier.

As far as your experiment goes:

It's a very good point and goes to show that certain lifting stances are better for reaching legal depth.

Eg, if you keep your back erect instead of tilting it forward a whole lot, you will get to legal depth much quicker and easier.

The same goes for extreme wide stances vs a narrow stance.

With a narrow stance and a perfectly erect back, you will reach legal depth the quickest.

At least that's what my basic biomecanic knowledge tells me.

But you may not be strongest in gear that way.

This is just some food for thought, not trying to press an argument here either.
As empty as paradise

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 02:10:47 PM »

I'm not trying to get into an argument either. I was just curious about your reasoning.

Nice post BTW.

I see what you're saying and I somewhat agree that wide stance squats looks different.

But I still think it's pretty easy to see that Byrd is nowhere near going as deep as Kazmaier.

As far as your experiment goes:

It's a very good point and goes to show that certain lifting stances are better for reaching legal depth.

Eg, if you keep your back erect instead of tilting it forward a whole lot, you will get to legal depth much quicker and easier.

The same goes for extreme wide stances vs a narrow stance.

With a narrow stance and a perfectly erect back, you will reach legal depth the quickest.

At least that's what my basic biomecanic knowledge tells me.

But you may not be strongest in gear that way.

This is just some food for thought, not trying to press an argument here either.

If you squat with that more erect position and a narrower stance (meaning shoulder width), you may reach parallel quicker, but you stand a chance of eventually destroying your knees over time because of the sheering forces on the stifle joint ligaments.   In my mind, how I'm visualizing that narrow foot placement, with a very upright stance isn't a squat either.  Its more of a deep knee bend.   I also dont' know about reaching parallel quicker because you have a longer stroke that you must perform to get the weight down.   The wider the stance, the shorter the weight has to move after setup is completed.   

I learned to do what I consider a "correct" squat by trial and error after fucking up both knees and living with knee pain for years.  Imagine my surprise when I got Rippetoe's book and read the first chapter (pages 8-64) where the basic stance I'd developed to keep my knees from hurting was described in detail.   I'm an upper 700, low 800 lb squatter now days with gym squats in the mid-upper 600's in just knee wraps and a belt (I rarely squat over 635 without putting on light briefs because I think they protect my hips, so technically, alot of the time I'm not squatting heavy RAW. I'll be in light briefs and knee wraps).  Honestly, I'm 45 lbs heavier now than I was when I decided to return to powerlifting, my knees feel better now than they have in a long, long time.   The only problem I have is hamstring tightness, which I think comes from too much time sitting in a car and at a desk vs riding my bike like I did when I was in college.  I don't think thats a product of squat form or technique.   

If you use the guidelines of that book of squatting down until the femur is parallel to the floor, the tibia almost perpendicular to the floor  with the knees even to or just over the front of the toes, and the back is such that the bar is from the base of the toes to the middle of the foot and assuming that position with allows you to clasp both hands together in front between the knees you will have assumed what some call a "wide stance" squat, especially if they use the diagram that was posted above.      Again, it makes me wonder about how accurate the diagram is, even though I think its used for every major powerlifting federation now days.  Its very common.   I dont'know but what it maybe shouldn't be redrawn and replaced too.     

The book gives a very good discussion on why this is a "correct" squat form--meaning one that maximizes biomechanics, minimizes injury, and allows the most weight to be used.    It also is the reason I'm thinking the way  I am.