Author Topic: Anyone else have problems hoisting the dumbbells up for shoulder press?  (Read 3698 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Anyone else have problems hoisting the dumbbells up for shoulder press?
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 03:49:38 PM »
i think hes just saying that you can get more growth from a better feel/range of motion with less weight i.e. dbs than a heavy as set of seated bb presses. i mean not everyone has to lift heavy ass weight to get jacked.
::)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 08:10:07 PM »
i mean not everyone has to lift heavy ass weight to get jacked.

With that kind of attitude, it's no wonder you are a skinny weakling who is a complete failure at everything you do in life. ;)

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 07:16:08 AM »
For heavy dumbells shoulder presses i need 2 spotters to give me the second dumbell. The first dumbell (mostly right side) i get up easy with the help of my free hand. Immediatly after i have the first dumbell in position, the 2 spotters (for 1 it`s to hard... ::)) give me the other dumbell to my free hand.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 07:41:19 AM »
For heavy dumbells shoulder presses i need 2 spotters to give me the second dumbell. The first dumbell (mostly right side) i get up easy with the help of my free hand. Immediatly after i have the first dumbell in position, the 2 spotters (for 1 it`s to hard... ::)) give me the other dumbell to my free hand.
::)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 08:17:11 AM »
One of the few exercises I can do at work.  I keep a 60lb DB, 70lb DB and 80lb DB on my boodkself (you should see the gouges! I'm sure my law firm will make me pay for it some day).  I do them one-armed, usually three sets:

26 X 60
17 X 70
11 X 80

The form isn't perfect and the reps are admittedly too high, but being able to do a couple sets during work time makes it beneficial for me from a time perspective.

Okay, to respond to the question, I swing the DB (again one armed) to shoulder level, as if doing a curl. Then I press upwards using the other arm to help raise it to full extension (I don't count this as a rep).  Then I slowly lower it with one arm.  Then, I start the set.  After so many reps, when the form starts getting too bad, I stop, so as to avoid injury.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007, 04:42:17 AM »
One of the few exercises I can do at work.  I keep a 60lb DB, 70lb DB and 80lb DB on my boodkself (you should see the gouges! I'm sure my law firm will make me pay for it some day).  I do them one-armed, usually three sets:

26 X 60
17 X 70
11 X 80

The form isn't perfect and the reps are admittedly too high, but being able to do a couple sets during work time makes it beneficial for me from a time perspective.

Okay, to respond to the question, I swing the DB (again one armed) to shoulder level, as if doing a curl. Then I press upwards using the other arm to help raise it to full extension (I don't count this as a rep).  Then I slowly lower it with one arm.  Then, I start the set.  After so many reps, when the form starts getting too bad, I stop, so as to avoid injury.

They let you get away w/ DBs in your Office?  ;D
Nice.

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 05:22:45 AM »
should be no problem, put em on your thighs as you sit down on the bench and "kick em up" in combination with pressing them to position.

when the dumbbells get really heavy you can have someone hand them to you.

or: lower the weight.

Exactly. Engage the core and keep your feet planted nicely for stability. If it's too much, lighten up

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 09:23:44 AM »
They let you get away w/ DBs in your Office?  ;D
Nice.

I'm sure the firm's worker's comp insurer would have a fit if they knew!

I still wait for the day they say "no more,"