Author Topic: The Truth About Who Fights for Us  (Read 817 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
The Truth About Who Fights for Us
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903791504576587244025371456.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

Since we get posts on the "draft" rumors and others about budget cuts, I thought I'd post this from the WSJ. Oddly the Lib douchbags are wrong again. How is it that blacks and latino's believe these assbags on any subject is beyond me.

It should no more be necessary to write this article than to prove that there were Jews killed in the World Trade Center on 9/11. And yet the mythology refuses to die. Just last week, two well-educated and well-known writer acquaintances of mine remarked in passing on the "fact" that those who serve in the U.S. military typically have no other career options. America's soldiers, they said, were poor and black.

They don't mean this to denigrate their service—no, they mean it as a critique of American society, which turns its unemployed into cannon fodder. Especially today with high unemployment, the charge goes, hapless youths we fail to educate are embarking on a one-way trip to Afghanistan.

These allegations—most frequently leveled at the Army, the military's biggest service and the one with the highest casualty rate—are false.

In 2008, using data provided by the Defense Department, the Heritage Foundation found that only 11% of enlisted military recruits in 2007 came from the poorest one-fifth, or quintile, of American neighborhoods (as of the 2000 Census), while 25% came from the wealthiest quintile. Heritage reported that "these trends are even more pronounced in the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program, in which 40% of enrollees come from the wealthiest neighborhoods, a number that has increased substantially over the past four years."

Indeed, the Heritage report showed that "low-income families are underrepresented in the military and high-income families are overrepresented. Individuals from the bottom household income quintile make up 20.0 percent of Americans who are age 18-24 years old but only 10.6 percent of the 2006 recruits and 10.7 percent of the 2007 recruits. Individuals in the top two quintiles make up 40.0 percent of the population, but 49.3 percent of the recruits in both years."

What about the charge that our Army is disproportionately black? This too is false, as is clear from data for fiscal 2010 available on the Army's website: Whereas blacks comprise 17% of Americans ages 18-39 with high school degrees, they represent only a slightly larger proportion of enlisted soldiers, at 21%.

Meanwhile, whites were significantly overrepresented among enlisted Army personnel in 2010. While 58% of Americans 18-39 years old are white, 64% of the Army's enlisted men and women are. Whites are underrepresented to a minor degree in only one category, in which blacks are overrepresented: Army officers. While 74% of 25-54 year-olds with bachelor's degrees are white, 72% of Army officers are white. While 8% of 25-54 year-olds with B.A.s are black, 13% of Army officers are.

Is it true that with a shaky economy, blacks have been driven to enlist in the Army in dramatically increased numbers? The 2010 numbers say otherwise. While 60% of 18-24 year-olds with a high school degree are white and 17% are black, 64% of new enlistees are white and 19% are black.

The missing bit of explanation for Army demographics is that Asians and Pacific Islanders, which make up the fastest-growing American demographic, are underrepresented in the Army, as are Hispanics. The explanation for the former is probably cultural, while for the latter it is a matter of difficulty speaking English. Only 12% of Army enlisted personnel are Hispanic, as opposed to 21% in the 18-39 year old population with a high school degree.

Why do myths persist despite all the evidence? One reason is lack of firsthand exposure to the military: Doing a journalistic embed with American troops or visiting a U.S. military base—or simply having some friends in the military—would disabuse my acquaintances of their beliefs.

This detachment is the result of a withdrawal of our urban elites from military service. And it suits the interests of many members of the urban elite to believe that the military they do not join is composed of poor, uneducated victims of an unfair society.

The hidden assumption in this myth is that an institution that is heavily black is an inferior institution. The myth of the ghetto Army is as nastily racist as it is false.

Ms. Marlowe, a visiting fellow at the Hudson Institute, blogs at World Affairs.

L

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: The Truth About Who Fights for Us
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »
Good post.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »
That's a great article HH.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 02:43:32 PM »
I certainly didn't know the numbers. I could tell you anecdotally what I've seen etc but this has facts. You get more white males in the Combat arms...along with latino's. You get alot of blacks in support positions. Its also says alot that some minority groups can't pass basic standards to enlist. Most of that has nothing to do with physical fitness. They relaxed alot of standards from 01' till now as far as criminal records, waivers for various things, tat's.  I was walking to our chow hall in Iraq with a buddy who was a recruiter and up on gang tats...he pointed out a kid in front of us who had latin kings ink. You can get in with that shit. Now they're not allowing GED's and other things.
L

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »
Is the Military like other government entities where it's extremely top heavy? Lots of officers and less grunts?

I only inquire, because while of all enlisted personel, there may be more whites of course (makes sense, since there's more white people in the US anyway), who's out on the front line getting shot at?

I'm not talking about race, I just mean poor vs. not poor... Are more poor people getting shot at than rich people?

(just skimmed the article mind you, but I didn't see that get answered)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 03:04:07 PM »
Is the Military like other government entities where it's extremely top heavy? Lots of officers and less grunts?

I only inquire, because while of all enlisted personel, there may be more whites of course (makes sense, since there's more white people in the US anyway), who's out on the front line getting shot at?

I'm not talking about race, I just mean poor vs. not poor... Are more poor people getting shot at than rich people?

(just skimmed the article mind you, but I didn't see that get answered)

I believe para 7 answers your question

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:45 PM »
I have a friend who was a military recruiter down in South Florida....he gave me the stat that out of 10 people who were earnest in enlisting, only one was actually able to pass the screening and go into Boot Camp......and how many of those 10 percenters that got in actually made it through Boot Camp, "A" School, an entire enlistment, honorable discharge, to a career?  Lots wash out in Boot Camp, and due to zero tolerance, many are kicked out of the military due to drug usage(these drug users are often given Medical Discharges, unless they were total shitbags which they were then given a Bad Conduct or General Discharge).

It is harder than ever to get in.  Right now, you have to be a female or score absurdly high on the ASVAB to get in the Navy.  The Army and Marines have laxer standards, but it is still difficult to get in................with obesity rates so high, you need to be somewhat physical fit to get in and this disqualifies a LOT of people which leads to even more medical issues.  Credit checks, criminal checks......things even young people don't pass muster to.

There are just too many disqualifiers that disproportionally affect the poor, whatever race they belong to.  In addition, it is correctly observed that the majority of those in Combat specialties are overwhelmingly white, and even moreso in Special Forces. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 05:13:56 PM »
No more GED's...no waivers for online High school etc. There are VERY few blacks in tier one SOF units. I have never seen a black Green Beret or "white SOF" guy in real life..pics etc but never out and about. There are plenty of latino's in SOF units. A good buddy who served under Stan MyChrystal when he was a Ranger Batt commander had one black guy in his whole company. The guy was a machine..but he was the only one. Watch the Discovery chanel shows on BUDs..few if any blacks. It is what it is. If you don't swim as a kid...ur gonna have a hard time. When I was doing my swim test for the Scout Swimmer course we were all sitting at the pool and this monster black dude was talking all kinds of shit about going recon etc. He looked the part but my buddy was asking him if he was good swimmer because the test we were about to do was basic compared to the Recon school. He sank to the bottom before we barely got going.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 06:43:58 PM »
No more GED's...no waivers for online High school etc. There are VERY few blacks in tier one SOF units. I have never seen a black Green Beret or "white SOF" guy in real life..pics etc but never out and about. There are plenty of latino's in SOF units. A good buddy who served under Stan MyChrystal when he was a Ranger Batt commander had one black guy in his whole company. The guy was a machine..but he was the only one. Watch the Discovery chanel shows on BUDs..few if any blacks. It is what it is. If you don't swim as a kid...ur gonna have a hard time. When I was doing my swim test for the Scout Swimmer course we were all sitting at the pool and this monster black dude was talking all kinds of shit about going recon etc. He looked the part but my buddy was asking him if he was good swimmer because the test we were about to do was basic compared to the Recon school. He sank to the bottom before we barely got going.

I just got done watching BUDS 234 as well as Surviving the Cut.    Mad respect for these guys.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 06:50:50 PM »
Go to Fort Bragg... Ask about a Marine Andre R Smith.. Gunnery Sgt... Force recon.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »
Why would there be a Force Recon Marine at FT. Bragg - an Army Post.  I never said there weren't blacks in SOF, there just isnt alot.  The pic above says he's an SSG. Your pic not mine.
L

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »
Why would there be a Force Recon Marine at FT. Bragg - an Army Post.  I never said there weren't blacks in SOF, there just isnt alot. 

Force recon training is at Ft Bragg..
He was stationed at Camp lejune..(sp)...
ill post more pictures..they are on the other comp.