Author Topic: BALCO - Victor Conte - Discussion  (Read 7676 times)

Speedbuff

• Getbig II
BALCO - Victor Conte - Discussion
« on: March 21, 2007, 08:50:35 AM »
BALCO head says fun prompted steroid ring

By Adam Tanner
Guardian Unlimited
March 21, 2007

BURLINGAME, Calif., March 21 (Reuters) - The man at
the center of the BALCO steroid scandal says
excitement rather than money motivated him to
distribute performance-enhancing drugs to top athletes
and advise them on how to evade detection.
Released from federal prison last year, Victor Conte
was one of the world's best-known steroid suppliers,
with behind-the-scenes insight about the doping that
has plagued track and field, football, baseball and
other sports.

"It had nothing to do with money," said Conte, owner
of the defunct BALCO lab.

"I was simply having a lot of fun. It was exciting to
be in the trenches, to be at these world championships
and Olympics and Super Bowls and travel all over the
world," he said in an interview with Reuters on
Tuesday.

"Some people may view this as being reckless and
taking enormous risks, but it was very exciting, it
was very fun."

The self-educated Conte, a former professional
bassist, created BALCO in 1984 to provide nutritional
advice and testing.

By the time prosecutors indicted Conte in 2004,
baseball slugger Barry Bonds, track and field star
Marion Jones and other top clients saw their
reputations badly tarnished. Some such as Tim
Montgomery, once the world's fastest man, have since
been banned from competing.

Conte, 56, said he operated his BALCO lab for 15 years
before beginning to deal in steroids, although he says
he started using them personally in 1996.
"I made the decision to go down the slippery slope at
some point in 1999," he said. "Finally I got to a
point where I basically realized that these athletes
didn't have a choice."

"I knew there were tremendous risks with it, but it
had to do with looking out for the safety of the
people that you work with. And knowing that they are
going to do it with or without your assistance --
only, without your assistance, they are going to buy
it down a dark alley out of the trunk of a car behind
a gym somewhere."

STEROIDS, IN MODERATION

A gregarious raconteur, Conte said he told his clients
to use the drugs in moderation according to a
regimented plan.

He said he advised taking steroids he dubbed the
"Clear" -- the previously undetectable THG -- and the
"Cream" on alternate days Monday through Thursday
before taking three days off, following a bigger
pattern of three weeks on, one week off.

"Athletes have families and children and people that
care about them, so believe it or not, they're not all
as reckless as some may think," he said.
Conte said he obtained seven performance-enhancing
substances from a network of different people,
including a Hollywood doctor whose clients include
film celebrities.

Today, Conte has resumed work at the former BALCO
headquarters, now named after his nutritional
supplement company, SNAC.

His walls are lined with photographs and memorabilia
signed by athletes such as Bonds, the single-season
home run record holder to whom Conte said he never
provided steroids, and Marion Jones, whom he said he
once saw inject steroids.

Both athletes deny using steroids.

Conte said he earned most of his income from selling a
legal zinc supplement called ZMA, which he still sells
for - judging by the Bentley he points to outside - a
handsome profit.

Conte said steroids remain widespread in professional
sports and he favors legalizing steroid use under
close medical supervision.

"Does an athlete who goes to a doctor, who trains
intensely, who is tested and found to be low in
testosterone ... should they be allowed to have normal
amounts of these anabolic hormones in their system? I
think that they should," he said.
Conte remains outspoken about steroids but now says
his actions had negative consequences.

"Did I know there were risks attached? Absolutely. Did
I make choices that maybe I shouldn't have made? Yes,
I probably did," he said.

"Would I do some of the things that I did over again
if I had the opportunity differently? The answer is
yes because of what I've learned about the effect upon
my family."

Speedbuff

• Getbig II
BALCO Founder Victor Conte on NPR radio
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 05:29:28 PM »
BALCO Founder Victor Conte Back at His Lab

NPR Radio interview - Four Parts
June 21, 2007

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11258081

Speedbuff

• Getbig II
BALCO Founder Victor Conte says he played role in Bonds' historic moment
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 12:17:05 AM »
The BALCO story seems to be never ending.  It may be that it is only half-time.

BALCO Founder Victor Conte says he played small but important role in Bonds' historic moment

Paul Elias
Associated Press

ESPN
Updated: August 8, 2007, 1:42 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO -- Victor Conte's convinced he played a small, but important, role in Barry Bonds' coronation as Major League Baseball's home run king.

Conte, the man at the center of the BALCO scandal, said he designed a complex nutritional regimen from 2000 to 2003 in conjunction with an intense weightlifting program that enabled Bonds to significantly increase his power.

In 2001, Bonds hit 73 home runs to set the single season record.

Conte, who was released from prison in March 2006 after pleading guilty to selling designer steroids from the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative he founded, said the supplements he sold Bonds were all legal.

"I never gave him steroids," Conte said. "I never had those discussions with Barry because there was no need to."

Conte declined to speculate on whether he thinks Bonds ever used steroids and said too much is made of that issue.

"Training is what provided those power increases," Conte said. "This guy is one of the hardest working athletes."

He said Bonds' personal trainer Greg Anderson also deserves some credit for helping Bonds break Hank Aaron's home run record when he hit No. 756 Tuesday night. Anderson has been in a federal minimum security prison since November for refusing to testify in the federal government's perjury probe of the slugger.

Federal officials are investigating whether Bonds lied to a grand jury when he testified that he didn't knowingly take steroids. Bonds told the grand jury that he trusted Anderson when the personal trainer told him he was taking flaxseed oil and arthritis balm.

Anderson previously served three months in prison after pleading guilty to selling steroids in connection with Conte's BALCO.

Conte said Anderson made sure Bonds took his many supplements at the right time of day while putting the future Hall of Famer through an intense weightlifting regimen.

"In essence, he was spoon fed this by Greg. Greg took this to an entirely different level," Conte said. "I think Barry misses Greg Anderson tremendously."

Anderson's lawyer Paula Canny didn't return a telephone call late Tuesday. But she said recently that Anderson's legal team soon will ask a judge to set him free.

Conte said he hasn't attended a San Francisco Giants game since he was released from prison.

"I didn't want to be a distraction," Conte said. "Now that he has the record, I am now going to go."

This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire.

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Conte can go fuck himself.  He was a good bass player though.  Free Greg Anderson.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
Conte can go fuck himself.  He was a good bass player though.  Free Greg Anderson.
lol. fuck yeah!! its all about the funk, babay!
d[-_-]b actin all cool

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
yeah..that's right..it was only flaxseed oil....sounds like IFBB bodybuilders who claim their physiques are all ''genetics"...
footloose and fancy free

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
yeah..that's right..it was only flaxseed oil....sounds like IFBB bodybuilders who claim their physiques are all ''genetics"...

Well there's no drugs that change insertion points, genetic strong points, shape of your muscles, or how it is all put together. Drugs just makes what you have more elaborated, do you really think just any schmoe could take roids and win even a state level contest let alone become a pro.
I

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
Well there's no drugs that change insertion points, genetic strong points, shape of your muscles, or how it is all put together. Drugs just makes what you have more elaborated, do you really think just any schmoe could take roids and win even a state level contest let alone become a pro.

Good point, when Barry was with the Pirates, he hit from both sides, stole record bases, hit homeruns, as well as hits.  That was before he got all juiced up.  To think that in the 70's 80's and 90's that guys were not looking for and using the "EDGE" is naive.  Willie Stargell they called him "Pop's" because he was the teams speed dealer. LOL!!
Most are all show no go!

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
Good point, when Barry was with the Pirates, he hit from both sides, stole record bases, hit homeruns, as well as hits.  That was before he got all juiced up.  To think that in the 70's 80's and 90's that guys were not looking for and using the "EDGE" is naive.  Willie Stargell they called him "Pop's" because he was the teams speed dealer. LOL!!

One good point in terms of playing during different time was that through bonds first 8 yrs only 1-2 players a year ever hit over 40, sometimes 3 guys at most but it was rare. Now it's common to have over a dozen guys with 40+ home runs and almost 30 guys a year hitting at least 30.
I

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV

One good point in terms of playing during different time was that through bonds first 8 yrs only 1-2 players a year ever hit over 40, sometimes 3 guys at most but it was rare. Now it's common to have over a dozen guys with 40+ home runs and almost 30 guys a year hitting at least 30.

sure and pitching has gotten worse, talent diluted through expansion...i see the point..but i also cannot believe that using (whatever he used) didn't assist him...take a look at brady anderson--went from 180 lbs to 215 and bopping out 50 homers in the leadoff spot...take a look at lenny dykstra 1986---and then lenny dykstra 1987-95...those are a few...ken caminiti was a good ballplayer before he took the gear..and became an mvp while using...

footloose and fancy free

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
Re: BALCO Founder Victor Conte says he played role in Bonds' historic moment
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 06:45:45 AM »

not win..but they can become pros...are you saying that guys like king kamali (to use an example) could have become a pro WITHOUT using some form of AAS?
footloose and fancy free

Paul Allen

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 06:48:57 AM »
If you guys have seen the new Bob Costas show about Bonds and baseball, when they're doing shots of Patrick Arnold in a bar in Champaign, Illinois, you can see me sitting in the background with my wife.  I was in town for the weekend doing a seminar at the University's business school.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 06:50:29 AM »
If you guys have seen the new Bob Costas show about Bonds and baseball, when they're doing shots of Patrick Arnold in a bar in Champaign, Illinois, you can see me sitting in the background with my wife.  I was in town for the weekend doing a seminar at the University's business school.

how do we know who you are? your avatar looks like jared leto!
footloose and fancy free

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 06:50:52 AM »

I hope you are kidding. They started calling Stargell "Pop's in 1979 when  he was the patriarch of a young Pirates team that won the World Series.
The House that Ruth built

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 06:57:23 AM »

sure and pitching has gotten worse, talent diluted through expansion...i see the point..but i also cannot believe that using (whatever he used) didn't assist him...take a look at brady anderson--went from 180 lbs to 215 and bopping out 50 homers in the leadoff spot...take a look at lenny dykstra 1986---and then lenny dykstra 1987-95...those are a few...ken caminiti was a good ballplayer before he took the gear..and became an mvp while using...

Have any of those guys been even close to being as good as Bonds has, together their stats proabably don't even match Barry's and among the 30+yrs of playing amongst them they have 2mvps to Bonds' 7. There were allot of other players who have also used and yearly homerun chart toppers during Barry's first 8 years were Canseco and McGwire but neither of them was as good a ball player as Barry, not even back then.
I

Paul Allen

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 06:57:36 AM »

how do we know who you are? your avatar looks like jared leto!

well you don't, I just like the Jared Leto photo because he has the same name as me in that movie.  Yes, my name really is Paul.  Allen's my middle name, but everyone calls me Paul Allen.

I think i'm the only guy with a woman in the background, I have a blue shirt on.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »

Have any of those guys been even close to being as good as Bonds has, together their stats proabably don't even match Barry's and among the 30+yrs of playing amongst them they have 2mvps to Bonds' 7. There were allot of other players who have also used and yearly homerun chart toppers during Barry's first 8 years were Canseco and McGwire but neither of them was as good a ball player as Barry, not even back then.

barry bonds was nowhere near the home run hitter he is now as he was as a young player...that you cannot dispute---it just so happens he hit 261 of his home runs at an age where players slow down and regress in production and it comes at the same time he's been accused of steroids...take a look at ken griffey jr...by far a prolific home run hitter who has struggled with injuries for the past few years...at the age he is at now bonds was just starting to average 50 home runs a year..if you are going to say that's all because of bad pitching, diluted talent and band box ball parks then i can't agree. 
footloose and fancy free

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 07:10:13 AM »
All gear aside, I think its entirely possible for bonds to have made SIGNIGICANT strength and performance increases going from no weight training or specific nutrition program to being on an intense workout program and nutrition schedule. It can make all the difference in the world. Just think of those guys you went to high school with who went to college to play football and packed on 30lbs and significantly decreases their bodyfat being on a college level strength training program. You cant tell me every high school senior that ends up playing college sports gets on the sauce.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 07:16:32 AM »

barry bonds was nowhere near the home run hitter he is now as he was as a young player...that you cannot dispute---it just so happens he hit 261 of his home runs at an age where players slow down and regress in production and it comes at the same time he's been accused of steroids...take a look at ken griffey jr...by far a prolific home run hitter who has struggled with injuries for the past few years...at the age he is at now bonds was just starting to average 50 home runs a year..if you are going to say that's all because of bad pitching, diluted talent and band box ball parks then i can't agree. 

But even Griffey wasn't a big hitter his first 4yrs but when he started belting them out everyone was starting too. No doubt Griffey was great but like many he took a few years to bloom into a dangerous batter. I also don't believe Griffey had 3mvp's within his first 8 seasons.
I

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 07:26:28 AM »
All gear aside, I think its entirely possible for bonds to have made SIGNIGICANT strength and performance increases going from no weight training or specific nutrition program to being on an intense workout program and nutrition schedule. It can make all the difference in the world. Just think of those guys you went to high school with who went to college to play football and packed on 30lbs and significantly decreases their bodyfat being on a college level strength training program. You cant tell me every high school senior that ends up playing college sports gets on the sauce.

college kids are 18 years old--the peak of testosterone production...bonds was a 35 year old man...who was playing a game 162 times a year over a 6 month period and he was able to keep those muscle gains throughout the year? read a few books written by ball players and the biggest challenge to them is not getting worn out and run down in august and september...he averaged 33 home runs for his first 15 years of his career..and as said earlier..at an age where most ballplayers start to tail off in production his went through the roof...it's all too much to believe he did this with no ''assistance''...
footloose and fancy free

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 07:39:29 AM »
My point was that he could make some significant improvements with an intense training and nutrition regiment. I wouldnt doubt most of the guys complaining about getting worn out during the tough months dont eat right, drink and use tobacco.  For someone to go out on their own pick up nutrition and weightlifting/sport specific training they could easily standout. Im not denying that his performance is suspect at his old age, just saying that in baseball someone who took an initiative to become a better athlete through diet and weightlifting could become a significantly stronger player withouth juice. On average I doubt the majority of players have any knowledge of proper nutrition.

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 08:56:13 AM »
Did you guys know that Barry Bonds has never paid Anderson a nickel for personal training?

All he did was allow him to use his name for promotion and gave him an old used truck once.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 09:16:39 AM »
Did you guys know that Barry Bonds has never paid Anderson a nickel for personal training?

All he did was allow him to use his name for promotion and gave him an old used truck once.

However: his training was included in the steroid deals, and Barry is probably paying him hush money.
I'm a bonds fan so don't get the wrong idea.
Most are all show no go!

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 10:02:59 AM »
So Victor Conte is the mob-version of Vince Gironda?   ;D

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 10:47:55 AM »
Bonds never cheated !  OJ was innocent !

signed,

Sampson 123