Author Topic: if nasa says our solarsystem has been moving 100,000,000mph for billions  (Read 5267 times)

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
of years than why are the same constellations visable?

do they want us to beleive all the stars are moving at the exact same speed all this time???

:o ::)

It's because our angle of vision.

Imagine a car passing next to you at 100 mph, it only takes a couple of seconds for the car to get out of your sight (assuming you don't move your head).

Now imagine an airplane moving at 500 mph, thousands of feet's above the ground. Although it's moving way faster than the car, it takes longer for the plane to get out of your sight.

The same applies to what we see in the night sky. Things are moving, really really fast, but they are so far away that we still can see them.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
I will teach you High School Physics, only if you ask for my help

That is good of you Howard.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
you really think all stars are moving at the same speed and same direction for 100's of years
It's because our angle of vision.

Imagine a car passing next to you at 100 mph, it only takes a couple of seconds for the car to get out of your sight (assuming you don't move your head).

Now imagine an airplane moving at 500 mph, thousands of feet's above the ground. Although it's moving way faster than the car, it takes longer for the plane to get out of your sight.

The same applies to what we see in the night sky. Things are moving, really really fast, but they are so far away that we still can see them.

A

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
you really think all stars are moving at the same speed and same direction for 100's of years

I really doubt that's what theory says.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
whenever science claims something moved .0000001233 inches in 350 years you know theyre shitten on you

It's testimony to how large the galaxy truly is. If you accept what the distances of the stars are it makes sense. They even have constellation maps of what the sky will look like many thousands of years from now, you can google it.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V

It's testimony to how large the galaxy truly is. If you accept what the distances of the stars are it makes sense. They even have constellation maps of what the sky will look like many thousands of years from now, you can google it.

"them" knowing the speed and direction and orbits of stars is not shown and is not known

the constelations dont change they do not change like planets

A

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
"them" knowing the speed and direction and orbits of stars is not shown and is not known

the constelations dont change they do not change like planets

Ask a scientist or professor. There are plenty at the colleges near you.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Ask a scientist or professor. There are plenty at the colleges near you.
you see the farther away something is the faster it must travel to keep the pace needed to keep the constellation shape consistent
A

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
PhD Theoretical Physicist at Harvard < Johnny Falcon--Getbig Legend
X

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
PhD Theoretical Physicist at Harvard < Johnny Falcon--Getbig Legend
sf what do u think about my last post , is there any glaring innacuracies to your best knowledge?
A

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
sf what do u think about my last post , is there any glaring innacuracies to your best knowledge?

Falcon, I do not have a clue. I don't study this stuff. :'(
X

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Falcon, I do not have a clue. I don't study this stuff. :'(
i asked what did u think about my last post

"objects further away like stars have to travel much faster than the closer stars to keep the constellations in order"

thinking doesnt require a phd in fuckery
A

TheShape.

• Getbig V

Necrosis

• Getbig V

They are, that's known, the universe is expanding, redshift explains this. All galaxies are moving away from each other at the speed of light, we have literally no chance of making it to another galaxy unless we move at light speed or somehow go superluminal.

Things are in different places, the light you are seeing is comprised of photons, which travel at the speed of light, take time to reach you, you are seeing the past. Wait a thousand years for light to reach you and you are seeing a 1000 years into the past.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
They are, that's known, the universe is expanding, redshift explains this. All galaxies are moving away from each other at the speed of light, we have literally no chance of making it to another galaxy unless we move at light speed or somehow go superluminal.

Things are in different places, the light you are seeing is comprised of photons, which travel at the speed of light, take time to reach you, you are seeing the past. Wait a thousand years for light to reach you and you are seeing a 1000 years into the past.

It is fascinating that the night sky is an image of the past. Some of the stars we are looking at may have moved further along the main sequence or not even exist anymore. 

Awe inspiring stuff.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V

you still should see a rate of change looking at old light we arent always looking at the same light from the year 502

A

Necrosis

• Getbig V
you see the farther away something is the faster it must travel to keep the pace needed to keep the constellation shape consistent

Gravity is keeping them together, they are moving apart from each other.

you still should see a rate of change looking at old light we arent always looking at the same light from the year 502

Correct, we are seeing slight movement, however, when it reaches us the constellation (stars) are in a different place, gravity holds the spin of the galaxies together, as the universe expands at an ever accelerating rate, gravity will not hold shit together, the big rip as it were.

I would imagine a degree of movement in the sky is millions of lightyears of travel based on the distance.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
It is fascinating that the night sky is an image of the past. Some of the stars we are looking at may have moved further along the main sequence or not even exist anymore. 

Awe inspiring stuff.

It's pretty amazing, some  cool space shit you might like. Magnetars are pretty mind blowing, Bootes void is a crazy mystery and the big roar (radio signal) is perhaps the best mystery of space. It prevents us from gaining information about the oldest stars that exist, we are essentially blocked out as the radio signal is roughly 6 times greater then any known source of such a signal. Some suggest it is tech and perhaps a dyson sphere blocking us out. Some suggest it is the universe beginning to rip hence the magnitude of the roar.

atafic

• Getbig II
  • aquilante vieni qui che ti do lo zuccarino

AFAIK the speed is proportional to the galaxy distance. For this reason the redshift is used to estimate the distance of the stars

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
It's pretty amazing, some  cool space shit you might like. Magnetars are pretty mind blowing, Bootes void is a crazy mystery and the big roar (radio signal) is perhaps the best mystery of space. It prevents us from gaining information about the oldest stars that exist, we are essentially blocked out as the radio signal is roughly 6 times greater then any known source of such a signal. Some suggest it is tech and perhaps a dyson sphere blocking us out. Some suggest it is the universe beginning to rip hence the magnitude of the roar.

Space roar is very interesting, I wasn't even aware of it. There does not seem to be a lot of info about it relative to the importance of such a phenomenon.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth

Really? I was under the belief that gravity will eventually pull the galaxies together, with the Milky Way and Andromeda merging in a few billion years time.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Gravity is keeping them together, they are moving apart from each other.

Correct, we are seeing slight movement, however, when it reaches us the constellation (stars) are in a different place, gravity holds the spin of the galaxies together, as the universe expands at an ever accelerating rate, gravity will not hold shit together, the big rip as it were.

I would imagine a degree of movement in the sky is millions of lightyears of travel based on the distance.

wrong weve had the same constellations

we should have new constellations often but we dont
A

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Really? I was under the belief that gravity will eventually pull the galaxies together, with the Milky Way and Andromeda merging in a few billion years time.

The universe is expanding, the space between things is growing, think of the universe like a balloon with the stars dotted on it, as you expand/blow up the balloon they get further apart.
Eventually the expansion will  overcome gravity, it may big crunch, I am speaking in exactness, the big rip appears to have more evidence.

You are correct, some galaxies may merge, this is only in galaxies which share the same gravity well, in an expanding universe, all things are moving apart.

AFAIK the speed is proportional to the galaxy distance. For this reason the redshift is used to estimate the distance of the stars

Hubbles law correct?

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
The universe is expanding, the space between things is growing, think of the universe like a balloon with the stars dotted on it, as you expand/blow up the balloon they get further apart.
Eventually the expansion will  overcome gravity, it may big crunch, I am speaking in exactness, the big rip appears to have more evidence.

You are correct, some galaxies may merge, this is only in galaxies which share the same gravity well, in an expanding universe, all things are moving apart.

Thanks for the info.
Is the speed in which the universe expanding remaining consistent? I think the "Big Crunch" concept came from the belief that the speed in which the universe is expanding is slowing down, which some scientists think would eventually lead to a stagnation and then a reversal - resulting in the crunch. However, I've also heard that the speed in which the universe is expanding increases the further it expands.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Thanks for the info.
Is the speed in which the universe expanding remaining consistent? I think the "Big Crunch" concept came from the belief that the speed in which the universe is expanding is slowing down, which some scientists think would eventually lead to a stagnation and then a reversal - resulting in the crunch. However, I've also heard that the speed in which the universe is expanding increases the further it expands.

It's not my field more of a hobby so I could be wrong, but as I understand it, gravity weakens as things spread out on the space-time fabric from expansion. The metric for expansion of space is based on the distance between two objects in space overtime, the rate of expansion is accelerating, it has always expanded,the rate was slower in the past. The fact that's it picking up would indicate gravity is weakening, shit's going rip.