Author Topic: Andy Haman - RIP  (Read 22017 times)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: Andy Haman Died.
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2021, 07:22:10 AM »
He looked pissed off passed the publicity goofiness of it.

Yup.  At least Andy might have been able to take him down and hold him there until his brain caught up with the moment.  Denis probably thought he was being made fun of, which can really piss off a person.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Brian had a probation officer but wasnt a criminal
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2021, 08:07:44 AM »
No? ???

He was the strongest BB alive, squatting 900 pds sitting on a clappable plastic camping chair :D

all the outer plates were a different shade

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2021, 08:09:10 AM »

Enough "bodies" for you, John? U need more? :D

Hahaha - that's so 'too soon' it's actually premature - you sick b@stard  ;D

Wow that’s sad, RIP

if John meadows isn’t careful he’s next

No no no - haven't you heard?  He announced that he'd cured himself just by the sheer effort of how much he wanted it...

Miracle thru willpower, apparently... 'normal' people just don't want to get better enough

::)
T

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2021, 10:43:29 AM »
From Lonnie Teper

ANDY HAMAN PASSES AWAY AT 55

I got the news in a 1:45 pm text from Dave Liberman on Saturday. A good source told Liberman that Andy Haman died. Although an autopsy has not yet been completed, Andy's wife Michelle said the death was due to complications from elbow joint surgery. Haman was 55 years old.

"The Doctors believe it was a massive blood clot to his  heart, lungs or brain," she said early Sunday morning from her Colorado  Springs, CO home. "

'If  you recall, Andy tore his triceps about four years ago and had to have it completely reattached", Michelle said. "Last Sunday his elbow became very swollen and painful. He went to his Orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday, who drained it with a syringe and it was full of pus.

"The Doctor then cancelled the rest of his afternoon appointments and scheduled Andy for immediate surgery. After the surgery he was in the hospital for three more days on IV antibiotics and blood thinners.

"He came home Thursday afternoon and was fine on Friday, other than a huge splint on his arm. He was just laying on the bed, and rolled over and stopped breathing.

"He was taken off the bed and and CPR was started. Paramedics were called but they think it (death) was  pretty much instant.

"One year ago Andy had a deep thrombosis in his calf, which broke off and went to his lung as a pulmonary embolism. He almost died there, but made it to the hospital, where he was put on IV blood thinners for 10 days. With his history of this the Doctor's believed that is what happened again."

Michelle said Andy was "larger than life and was as crazy and silly at home as people would see at Expos and that's how everyone should remember him"

Andy  had the  perfect last name....I called him Andy the Ham , meant in a good way, for his lively, creative persona. You never knew which character he would be portraying when he worked booths at Expos. But what you did know is there would always be long lines of fans waiting to get their shot at meeting the irrepressible one.

Haman eared pro status after winning the Masters Nationals, but he was best known  at one time as an All-American high school and college  wrestling champ. At the University of Iowa Haman wrestled under the iconic Dan Gable. He was also one of the strongest bodybuilders in the game.

He called me a couple times a few years ago, wanting to guest pose at my NPC West Coast Classic. Since I had Jay Cutler appearing nearly every year in that capacity, I politely declined the offer.

From my experience, Haman was a really nice man, and always had his entourage of Michelle and their four children with him at nearly all of his appearances.

I doubt any media member was as close to Haman as veteran journalist Bill Geiger, who was devastated by the sad news.

"Andy was one of the contracted athletes with MuscleMag International from 2008-2013," said Geiger, who was Group Editorial Director for MMI and Reps at the time.

"We did many photo shoots and trips together. He'd bring one large suitcase to each shoot filled with his goofy props, like a rubber chicken or his caveman outfit.

"Just an incredible man, gifted entertaining folks and a wonderful family man. Andy didn't just do what you asked, he was willing to go a step beyond.

"He was really a very considerate, caring individual".

I think all of us who got to know the man feel exactly the way you do, Bill.

Andy Haman, RIP.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Andy Haman - RIP
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2021, 11:20:25 AM »

Andy was always the nicest person, always trying to make people feel good in his crazy outfits and bring fun to all.

Condolences to his wife, children and the family.

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2021, 11:23:11 AM »
complications from elbow joint surgery? that's just messed up!...and they used blood thinners and other medications and he STILL got a massive blood clot? and then BAM! that's it??!

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2021, 11:27:24 AM »
From Lonnie Teper

ANDY HAMAN PASSES AWAY AT 55

He called me a couple times a few years ago, wanting to guest pose at my NPC West Coast Classic. Since I had Jay Cutler appearing nearly every year in that capacity, I politely declined the offer.

Epic and tactful statement in an obituary :D

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2021, 12:37:40 PM »
another few seconds and Dennis would have pulled his head off..

What reason to you have for thinking Denis could beat Andy in a fight? If you said "pulled his arm off" [or ripped it off], I could believe you. But Andy's wrestling background was legit. He was probably one of the best wrestlers in the USA in his day, and I don't see him just forgetting how to wrestle.

Does Denis have a combat sports background?

As for that video - did Andy go up to Denis naively thinking that being strong would give him a chance against a top arm wrestler, only to lose badly, and to want to show off his wrestling ability to prove his strength in another area?

If so, Andy may have been the naive one in thinking he could win there. That's probably why he showed off his wrestling after the bout.

I left a comment on that YouTube video:

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2021, 01:09:39 PM »
Epic and tactful statement in an obituary :D

That statement does strike me as a bit odd...what might Lonnie Teper's rationale have been there?

Specifically, why mention Jay Cutler? Had he said "Unfortunately, the guest-posing position was already filled", or even added "and now that Andy is no longer with us, I regret not having had another chance to see him".

The way Lonnie wrote that just seems to be bragging that he had a higher ranked professional bodybuilder in the role.

I might be missing something here...but I guess I really don't understand Lonnie's statement there [as you said, given the context of it being in an obituary]. I don't proclaim to read minds, but I see that statement from Lonnie as bragging, and I would think Lonnie should be aware that people understand his bodybuilding background.

rollin

• Getbig II
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2021, 01:35:24 PM »
I knew Andy very well. Here is a few stories:

I met Andy for the 1st time at the Europa in Dallas. I was backstage. This was one of Andys 1st pro shows Europa Dallas and he was ready to get on stage with no tan.  He thought he was tan enough. I don't think he wanted to pay for it. Jan Tana tanned him for free. Jan made him tan and told him there is no way your going on stage with no tan. Jan became very good friends with him. He was very likable guy.

Another story he told me was about a guy that had road rage. So Andy pulled over got out the car and the guy practically peed his pants and took off. I forget all the details.

He also told me a Lou Ferrigno story. He told me he went up to Lou to get a photo signed for his Kid. Lou did his famous I want $20.
Andy told me he said. Lou I've bought at least 5-6 pics from you. You know me and that I'm also a pro and if you ever needed pic Id give you one. Not sure if he paid or the rest of the story but he told me he lost all respect for Lou after that.

As for hitting the lotto it would have to be much later. I remember talking to him art an Olympia where he had a postcard made up dropping it off at every booth trying to get a sponsor. At that time he told me he needed a sponsor to keep going as a pro because of all his kids. It was nice to see him land Dymatize. So if he hit the lotto it had to be years later then when he got started.

I was very sad to see this news. He was the nicest guy you ever met very humble. Never thought he had the clout of other pros. Still looked up to guys like Jay and the other pros. Never turned down anyone a pic. Loved his family to death and loved doing things with his son Sam.

RIP Andy you will be missed.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2021, 01:36:18 PM »
That statement does strike me as a bit odd...what might Lonnie Teper's rationale have been there?

Specifically, why mention Jay Cutler? Had he said "Unfortunately, the guest-posing position was already filled", or even added "and now that Andy is no longer with us, I regret not having had another chance to see him".

The way Lonnie wrote that just seems to be bragging that he had a higher ranked professional bodybuilder in the role.

I might be missing something here...but I guess I really don't understand Lonnie's statement there [as you said, given the context of it being in an obituary]. I don't proclaim to read minds, but I see that statement from Lonnie as bragging, and I would think Lonnie should be aware that people understand his bodybuilding background.

People just don’t know what they are conveying sometimes, and I agree with you it totally comes across the wrong way. “He called me up to ask if he could guest pose,” (he was so desperate that he had to make phone calls and hope somebody would pay him to guest pose) “but I had a much higher ranked guest poser already” (I only hang with the creme de la creme), “but I was very polite to him when I turned him down” (wasn’t that special of me).

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2021, 01:44:53 PM »
No? ???

He was the strongest BB alive, squatting 900 pds sitting on a clappable plastic camping chair :D

Why would anyone in their right mind post these vids? No credibility with all those fake plates, can’t believe anyone would think that’s real, and calling yourself one of the strongest bbers 

John meadows you are next if you don’t stop fucking around

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2021, 02:16:27 PM »
Blood clots...Those are scary. I've had them myself and like Andy they broke free and went to my lungs.  The doctors told me if they broke free from there it was one of two things:  I would die instantly or suffer being even worse off mentally.   So when they asked if I wanted to be revived in the event I died, I said, "No.  I do NOT want to awaken to being a Democrat".

You have to have a sense of humor to deal with stuff like this.  I did die on the table and later on when my doctor told me that I had been dead I jokingly railed on him saying, "I TOLD you I didn't want to be bump started!"  He said that it had been about three minutes and he was going to call it and cover me with the sheet when my heart started on its own and I began to breathe again.

It is my hope that Andy's family is taken care of by him planning ahead.  He had a sense of humor too and that's a rarity these days.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2021, 04:11:48 PM »
He was the strongest bodybuilder that ever existed :(

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2021, 04:17:33 PM »
Haman was born August 1966 so that makes him 54 years old.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2021, 04:27:29 PM »
Blood clots...Those are scary. I've had them myself and like Andy they broke free and went to my lungs.  The doctors told me if they broke free from there it was one of two things:  I would die instantly or suffer being even worse off mentally.   So when they asked if I wanted to be revived in the event I died, I said, "No.  I do NOT want to awaken to being a Democrat".

You have to have a sense of humor to deal with stuff like this.  I did die on the table and later on when my doctor told me that I had been dead I jokingly railed on him saying, "I TOLD you I didn't want to be bump started!"  He said that it had been about three minutes and he was going to call it and cover me with the sheet when my heart started on its own and I began to breathe again.

It is my hope that Andy's family is taken care of by him planning ahead.  He had a sense of humor too and that's a rarity these days.

I am no scientist but isn’t it accurate to say that anabolics thicken the blood (hematocrit, hemoglobin) and thick blood increases blood clot risk? Genetics may be the main factor but it is my impression that this phenomenon plays a big role in what we see here and elsewhere.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2021, 04:42:04 PM »
I am no scientist but isn’t it accurate to say that anabolics thicken the blood (hematocrit, hemoglobin) and thick blood increases blood clot risk? Genetics may be the main factor but it is my impression that this phenomenon plays a big role in what we see here and elsewhere.

I was thinking the same thing.  Was he still on the sauce after having clotting problems in his leg previously?

Clots are bad, either killing you outright or resulting in a stroke which causes paralysis.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2021, 05:06:31 PM »
All modern TRT prescribing doctors manage bloods and usually take blood out every three months to avoid this type of negative effect, its common standard practice if you are doing TRT through a reputable prescriber.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2021, 05:32:32 PM »
All modern TRT prescribing doctors manage bloods and usually take blood out every three months to avoid this type of negative effect, its common standard practice if you are doing TRT through a reputable prescriber.

Well OK, but how many of the ones we are discussing here are doing moderate dosage regimens as part of management by TRT prescribing physicians who “manage bloods”, physicians who in the US, for example, are not allowed to prescribe for athletics.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2021, 05:34:30 PM »
He was the strongest bodybuilder that ever existed :(

/Larry Dingleberry and Brad Wheels just entered the chat
T

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2021, 05:34:53 PM »
Well OK, but how many of the ones we are discussing here are doing moderate dosage regimens as part of management by TRT prescribing physicians who “manage bloods”, physicians who in the US, for example, are not allowed to prescribe for athletics.

Z-e-r-o.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2021, 06:08:08 PM »

[/quote]

None and thats the problem, 100mgs of test per week under clinical supervision is TRT, not just under a gram a week unsupervised. 

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2021, 06:29:19 PM »

None and thats the problem, 100mgs of test per week under clinical supervision is TRT, not just under a gram a week unsupervised.

Speaking from personal experience, it may not be completely unsupervised but it is still FULL of holes. Let’s say you are honest with your regular doctor or you have a doctor friend at the gym (or even a schmoe doctor in the case of some competitors). You might get checked out once in a while, but come competition time, you don’t want anything to get in the way, so you accidentally on purpose delay the process. Plus the physician may not come from a completely useful perspective. Maybe he is defensive or dismissive if he disapproves of what you are doing or is worried about legal aspects. Or maybe he lacks objectivity if he also is heavily into the sport and the scene. All in all, the “managing” physician piece is often mainly useless here, if he is present at all.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2021, 06:52:38 PM »
Was Andy predisposed to blood clots?

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2021, 07:43:19 PM »
He took steroids :(