Author Topic: RIP JUNIOR SEAU---NFL FOOTBALL  (Read 15949 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: RIP JUNIOR SEAU---NFL FOOTBALL
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2012, 10:04:06 PM »
We've been playing football since the 1890's.

How long have concussion injuries been of major  interest/concern to the AMA?

I do know that the major sports equipment companies do a lot of research to protect the players, but what is their success in preventing head injuries?

And how many previous players are currently having problems due to concussion injuries? Is anyone keeping score and maintaining records?

Stan Diego

• Getbig III
  • A whales vagina
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2012, 10:05:34 PM »
I'm in San Diego and people were really bummed today. If you saw his mother on TV I don't know how that couldn't upset you. Don't be so quick to judge. Opinions, opinions, opinions, talk, talk, talk. I forgot, it's a message board....

My heart goes out to his family, friends & fans.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
I think most of us feel the same, Stan, but have failed to express it as well as you just did.

Thanks for that.

Danny-Boy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2012, 10:43:50 PM »
The cause of "Clinical Depression" is now being understood as multi-factoral. It is real and needs to be differentiated from the simple label of being "Depressed".   Yes, there are  (Biological Factors) genetic predispositions to lower production of dopamine levels, underdevelopment of pre-fontal lobe,  mis-firing of hippocampus, etc. These same areas can be triggered by trauma to the head (Physical Factors)..

- Even medications, pain killers, etc. can have a profound effect on the release of neurotransmitters. (Environmental Factors)

Let's not forget how most football players interact during practice--   Purposeful striking of the head into pads(Full Force) on top of in-game collisions (2 opposing forces are usually more impactful than direct hits found in boxing) .    

When these neuronal pathways are damaged, proven areas of reasoning are never clear for the individual.      Example-- Patient w/ early onset of Huntington's disease fail to recognize facial expressions of DISGUST from people.  Can you just blame the patient for being naive and say he should know better?   My point, he knew that he needed help but could no longer comprehend how?  It is very easy to judge that he is a "dirtbag" for leaving his kids, but when you take into account all these factors--his decision was probably the only logical choice he genuinely felt w/ the limitations of his capable thought process. (What he had left)   Neurology is a fascinating field and we should not dismiss disorders simply because we do not understand...  

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2012, 10:47:43 PM »
The cause of "Clinical Depression" is now being understood as multi-factoral. It is real and needs to be differentiated from the simple label of being "Depressed".   Yes, there are  (Biological Factors) genetic predispositions to lower production of dopamine levels, underdevelopment of pre-fontal lobe,  mis-firing of hippocampus, etc. These same areas can be triggered by trauma to the head (Physical Factors)..

- Even medications, pain killers, etc. can have a profound effect on the release of neurotransmitters. (Environmental Factors)

Let's not forget how most football players interact during practice--   Purposeful striking of the head into pads(Full Force) on top of in-game collisions (2 opposing forces are usually more impactful than direct hits found in boxing) .    

When these neuronal pathways are damaged, proven areas of reasoning are never clear for the individual.      Example-- Patient w/ early onset of Huntington's disease fail to recognize facial expressions of DISGUST from people.  Can you just blame the patient for being naive and say he should know better?   My point, he knew that he needed help but could no longer comprehend how?  It is very easy to judge that he is a "dirtbag" for leaving his kids, but when you take into account all these factors--his decision was probably the only logical choice he genuinely felt w/ the limitations of his capable thought process. (What he had left)   Neurology is a fascinating field and we should not dismiss disorders simply because we do not understand...  

This

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2012, 11:06:27 PM »
DANNY BOY, that appears to be a darn intelligent statement/prognosis for a typical GetBigger.

Can I ask about your degree and if you work within this "field' " as a school trained professional.

And do you feel that this sad incident will  have some  beneficial effect  (immediate or otherwise) among professional athletics?

Thanks

Danny-Boy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2012, 11:13:52 PM »
 I'm currently stuck in Medical school.(have BAs in Sociology n Bus. Management- got into Law School in 04'--decided it was not for me--due to personal ethical issues) LOL .. Took the long road into getting into Med School..(Post-Bacc. Route) But I feel it was all worth it....Actually finishing exams this week to end semester.. I am just intrigued by the many aspects of Abnormal Psychology...

Danny-Boy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »
DANNY BOY, that appears to be a darn intelligent statement/prognosis for a typical GetBigger.

Can I ask about your degree and if you work within this "field' " as a school trained professional.

And do you feel that this sad incident will  have some  beneficial effect  (immediate or otherwise) among professional athletics?

Thanks

I feel that this incident further acknowledges what many  doctors/researchers have already found.. This Disorder is found on a continuum.. Just because Guy A and Guy B suffer from the same direct blow--does not mean they have to suffer same fate..It can be beneficial to uncover correlations in exact targeted brain trauma btw similar incidences and how the league can provide better helmet padding to these critically prone areas?   Remember-- Many ill effects of neuronal damage are not fully understand, where most are irreversible..    Certain stem cell research is the magic key to unlocking this solution. ie/ regrowth of neuronal connectivity     All our cells are configured to have ALL of our DNA--  At our earliest stages--  certain genes get turned off/on and further differentiate to all out tissue/organs/etc.    Stem Cells are the "promise" in coding these specific areas to be re-built from scratch--the Blueprint is already there.. we just got to unlock it

whitewidow

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2012, 02:20:41 AM »
the patriots ted bruski had to take some time off due to to many concussions. His cat scan looked horrible they said. He did come back but I think he retired with some fat super bowl rings but they come with a cost. we are not in their shoes ! Who the hell knows what they have to deal with daily after having all that head damage.I am sure they are misserable. If anybody is a legal millionaire why would they commit suicide. usually millionaires are not depressed. he was fucked in the head from all the concussions and abuse(trauma to the head)

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2012, 03:59:51 AM »
Sometimes people themselves see the signs of ailments/injuries etc. Forgetfullness, tremors etc and know it is going to get worse. Instead of putting their families thru pain and suffering for the long hall, they commit suicide to save the heartbreak and the agony.

Sad but true.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2012, 04:11:38 AM »
Sad news. Accomplished so much, at only 43, too.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2012, 05:53:41 AM »
Thanks to most  of you guys for this intelligent discussion. To be honest, this subject matter is something that is relatively new to me .... and I have known or have come in contact with a good number of pro ball players over the years and have failed to realize the serious problem or potential problem of head injuries within football.

Danny Boy , you sound like the ideal candidate to receive a federal grant to study this situation ... or is that 'undertaking' already being undertaken?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2012, 08:02:25 AM »
They've known about concussions well before Nowinski. They've just been hiding it. Brain injuries have been discussed for thousands of years. Hell, even a monkey knows it needs a rock to hit the nut hard enough to crack the skull and get the peanut from the middle. ;)
yes but it took nowinski getting involved to get the nfl to act upon it and with them the other majpr sports. by the way bill goldberg was playing golf with seau the day before the event.
F

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2012, 08:09:58 AM »
It amazes me that eight guys from a pro football team from 1994 are now dead.  Those guys should all be like 45-55 today tops.
Why is it amazing?  Some were killed in Car Wrecks, Plane Crashes, struck by lightning, the others were Morbidly Obese and had heart attacks or used too many Recreational Drugs.  Its really not that shocking.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2012, 10:35:05 AM »
I wonder what his bank account looked like.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2012, 10:37:13 AM »
How do you shoot yourself in the chest?  That is a real odd way to commit suicide.  I know people think he wanted to preserve his brain.  But how do you shoot yourself in the chest?

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2012, 11:03:39 AM »
Why is it amazing?  Some were killed in Car Wrecks, Plane Crashes, struck by lightning, the others were Morbidly Obese and had heart attacks or used too many Recreational Drugs.  Its really not that shocking.

Did you play sports in school?

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2012, 11:20:14 AM »
How do you shoot yourself in the chest? 

I think you have to point a gun at your chest and pull the trigger but I'm not sure.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »
How do you shoot yourself in the chest?  That is a real odd way to commit suicide.  I know people think he wanted to preserve his brain.  But how do you shoot yourself in the chest?
Point handgun at heart, pull trigger. Im assuming he used a handgun.
In the head is harder sometimes. Didn't kurt cobain used his feet to pull the trigger of his shotgun?
A

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
I wonder what his bank account looked like.

lost of local (los angeles) radio sports talk show host have said he always seemed to have finiancial problems, thats why he kept on signing one year deals with patriots year after year

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2012, 11:41:58 AM »
lost of local (los angeles) radio sports talk show host have said he always seemed to have finiancial problems, thats why he kept on signing one year deals with patriots year after year
no, that was because he wasnt ready to leave the game.
A

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2012, 11:47:42 AM »
no, that was because he wasnt ready to leave the game.

Yes, i agree, Football to Hall Of Fame Players LIVE and DIE football

1. Football
2. Kids
3. Wife
4. Friends

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »
Wasn't there some issues with ex-girlfriends as well?
Easy, have someone else pull the trigger, a la Steve McNair and singer Monica's ex.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2012, 12:22:59 PM »
Did you play sports in school?
Swimming, Track and Cross-Country.