Author Topic: Watching these gymnast dudes makes me wonder..  (Read 24582 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Watching these gymnast dudes makes me wonder..
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »
..about the merits of only training arms once a week with minimal sets. These dudes have humongous arms, and its because they pound them every day. Arms have always been my most lagging body part. I wonder if doing 2 or 3 days a week would help.
lol@huge 

120-139 lbs at 5`2-5`5

Are you a moron or is that question redundant?

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2012, 03:36:58 AM »
what kind of strength increases have you had?

I've upped the reps and sets this time round to put a bit of a variation on the 4-6 range I used to use. Now its more like 8-10 now and also added more sets on the squats.
Then after this I will go back to 4-6 but judging by the sets I've been able to add, I should be stronger.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2012, 05:33:48 AM »
if your arms are being worked properly no way should you be able to work them 3 times a week......

arms should be hit ONCE  week
choice is an illusion

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2012, 07:09:29 AM »
if your arms are being worked properly no way should you be able to work them 3 times a week......

arms should be hit ONCE  week
Your arms are sore for 7 days??? Don't think so

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I read at least a dozen primary sources a day
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2012, 07:52:45 AM »
X2 Cause they do no progressive overload just running compare them to sprinters, they do intense short running ie they dont overtrain.

Yes LDR is no good for building muscle unless you have polio levels of weakness to begin with.

Most elite LDRs don't lift much if at all.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2012, 07:59:36 AM »
newsflash..the more you work on something, the quicker it develops and the stronger it gets...woaaaa, rocket science!

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2012, 08:40:28 AM »
Your arms are sore for 7 days??? Don't think so

Was that a question or a statement? Are you telling me what my arm feels like after a workout or asking me?
choice is an illusion

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2012, 08:51:51 AM »
Spot on

This "functional strength" rhetoric gets thrown around but if we really examine what we do in real life, very little of this "functional exercise" is practical. Honestly, what do bosu-ball shoulder presses prepare you for....Shoulder presses during an earthquake?

My size & strength as a bodybuilder who utilizes bases my training around the Big 3 lifts has helped me in many real life situations, and has hindered me in NONE.

I think it's just more personal training marketing gimmicks at work.

Dude you're way to defensive! Don't let them see your cards ;)

Functional strength, a gymnasts body adapts to the regime, strenght/muscle are not a goal in itself.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2012, 09:10:01 AM »
Was that a question or a statement? Are you telling me what my arm feels like after a workout or asking me?
Are they? 7 days?

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2012, 09:11:15 AM »
Dude you're way to defensive! Don't let them see your cards ;)

Functional strength, a gymnasts body adapts to the regime, strenght/muscle are not a goal in itself.

Haha I don't understand your post broseph

pinchharmonic

• Getbig II
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2012, 09:22:16 AM »
three olympic level gymnasts, three arguably identical training regiments, three different sets of genes  ;D

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
Re: Watching these gymnast dudes makes me wonder..I
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2012, 09:34:43 AM »
Are they? 7 days?

That's want you should have asked BEFORE trying to tell me about my arms
Anyway to address the thread subject ... And reinforce my argument if arms are trained properly they do not need to be trained 3 times a week... The get hit with chest back and shoulders.... Biting them 3 times is overtraining unless they've person training them is one of those Tatoo fools who just come to the gym to train arms .... No no delt back or chest. But in a tight Tshirt their pea shooter APPEAR decent
choice is an illusion

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2012, 09:41:14 AM »
That's want you should have asked BEFORE trying to tell me about my arms
Anyway to address the thread subject ... And reinforce my argument if arms are trained properly they do not need to be trained 3 times a week... The get hit with chest back and shoulders.... Biting them 3 times is overtraining unless they've person training them is one of those Tatoo fools who just come to the gym to train arms .... No no delt back or chest. But in a tight Tshirt their pea shooter APPEAR decent
Lol sorry bro.

It's unfair to claim someone else is overtraining though, same as if it's unfair for me to claim there's no way that you're guns can be sore for 7 days. Right?

The last year I've switched to a non-linear periodization split, hitting everything twice a week. Been the best gains of my life, and im Natty. I've even played with the idea of 3x a week, just to see. Definitely at this point, more is better IMO as long as your nutrition and recovery is adequate. Feel me?

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2012, 09:44:22 AM »
newsflash..the more you work on something, the quicker it develops and the stronger it gets...woaaaa, rocket science!

Then by your logic if I go balls out and train legs three times a day for a period of say six weeks, my legs will be bigger?

So with your logic, whats your excuse then for still looking like a twink?

::)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2012, 09:49:42 AM »
Then by your logic if I go balls out and train legs three times a day for a period of say six weeks, my legs will be bigger?

So with your logic, whats your excuse then for still looking like a twink?

::)

this was exactly my point in bring up long-distance runners

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »
Lol sorry bro.

It's unfair to claim someone else is overtraining though, same as if it's unfair for me to claim there's no way that you're guns can be sore for 7 days. Right?

The last year I've switched to a non-linear periodization split, hitting everything twice a week. Been the best gains of my life, and im Natty. I've even played with the idea of 3x a week, just to see. Definitely at this point, more is better IMO as long as your nutrition and recovery is adequate. Feel me?

Im natty No nutrition.....just training and my arms are good....   
I know a thing or two about training.... mainly from trial and error....
would you train back or legs 3 times a week?
My training is very intense... no way can anyone do 3 of my rm workouts a week....  or legs or chest or back etc
if his arms are lagging and he hitting them 3 times a week .. plus back chest and delts... his arms will not get time to recover IF he is training them intensely... y arms responds well to training but
best gains or me is when i started to hit them once a week.... 
and yes ive had workouts where my ars have had DOMS or a week

choice is an illusion

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2012, 03:03:29 PM »
Yes they showed some third-tier gymnast from Ireland the other day and his arms looked like King Kamali.

lolz

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2012, 03:06:21 PM »
if you ever reach the point of "overtraining" you just have a longer and better nights rest than normal
A

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »
three olympic level gymnasts, three arguably identical training regiments, three different sets of genes  ;D

You can tell the negro gets up a midnight and eats massive amounts of simple sugars compared to the other two. Either that or the negro is starting to have problems with his insulin because of the HGH he's been on for years straight. Dude has a double chin.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »
Arms are my strong suit.  And I attribute this to the fact that when I was just starting out in this whole lifting thing I used to train them 2-3 days a week.

Your theory isn't all that far off in my opinion!

Back in the early 90's I read an article in a muscle magazine where a bodybuilder named J.J Marsh (who had huge legs) said his quads grew the most early in his career when he was squatting three times a week.  My legs at the time were a little above average at best, but I figured I would try the 3x/week squatting to see if I could benefit from it.   Sure enough, they grew and grew.  I can attest to this working for legs extremely well.  I also tried it on back a few years after that, but back didn't benefit from 3x/week at all for me.   But 3x/week squats...It worked like crazy.  But you have to learn to train through soreness, cause your legs will still be sore from the previous workout.  

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
if you ever reach the point of "overtraining" you just have a longer and better nights rest than normal

you still doing the lunges everyday?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2012, 03:12:47 PM »
you still doing the lunges everyday?

every other day work legs
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »

Back in the early 90's I read an article in a muscle magazine where a bodybuilder named J.J Marsh (who had huge legs) said his quads grew the most early in his career when he was squatting three times a week.  My legs at the time were a little above average at best, but I figured I would try the 3x/week squatting to see if I could benefit from it.   Sure enough, they grew and grew.  I can attest to this working for legs extremely well.  I also tried it on back a few years after that, but back didn't benefit from 3x/week at all for me.   But 3x/week squats...It worked like crazy.  But you have to learn to train through soreness, cause your legs will still be sore from the previous workout.  

they only grow a little bit more training a bodypart 5 times a week rather than 3. its not like you hit some miraculous insane growth hitting one extra day a week but everything still adds up.
A

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2012, 05:42:12 PM »
Im natty No nutrition.....just training and my arms are good....   
I know a thing or two about training.... mainly from trial and error....
would you train back or legs 3 times a week?
My training is very intense... no way can anyone do 3 of my rm workouts a week....  or legs or chest or back etc
if his arms are lagging and he hitting them 3 times a week .. plus back chest and delts... his arms will not get time to recover IF he is training them intensely... y arms responds well to training but
best gains or me is when i started to hit them once a week.... 
and yes ive had workouts where my ars have had DOMS or a week

Arms seriously sore for 7 days?! While you're in shape already? Arms are a strong point for me too, and I've done some (stupid) crazy arm workouts but 4 days is max for DOMS. Legs is another story...

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I read at least a dozen primary sources a day
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
mesmorph is one of the most gifted natural physique-athletes of all time, normal rules of soreness do not apply to him.