Author Topic: 100s  (Read 24941 times)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: 100s
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 09:54:50 AM »
I was a part of that entire group with Rory and Jeff as well as  Jon Aranita, Scotty Livingstone, Danny Beruman and Bob Paris. The theory behind the training (according to Jeff) was to create hyperplasia (muscle cell division). There’s a ton more involved but that’s the jist of it.
Did you train with Rory?  I always thought he was cool in interviews and was a very hard and smart trainer.  First time I ever saw him in an article was Sports Illustrated doing that Tony Mandarich article in the early 90's.  The Weiders didn't care for him because he ripped them all the time.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 10:33:19 AM »
Did you train with Rory?  I always thought he was cool in interviews and was a very hard and smart trainer.  First time I ever saw him in an article was Sports Illustrated doing that Tony Mandarich article in the early 90's.  The Weiders didn't care for him because he ripped them all the time.

I started training with Rory when I was 17. We're still friends and still keep in touch to this day. Same with Jon Aranita and Bob Paris. I was fortunate enough to grow up what I consider "the Golden Age" of bodybuilding.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 03:23:06 AM »
Guys like Rory and Matt Mendenhall didn't even make it to the pro ranks with their amazing physiques and now the pendulum has swung completely to the other side.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 07:07:30 AM »
Guys like Rory and Matt Mendenhall didn't even make it to the pro ranks with their amazing physiques and now the pendulum has swung completely to the other side.

It’s hard to believe they didn’t get Pro status
As you look at a lot of the physiques out their now with Pro cards.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 12:17:38 PM »
It’s hard to believe they didn’t get Pro status
As you look at a lot of the physiques out their now with Pro cards.

Back then you had to win the USA (overall) or your class at the Nationals.  The overall North American winner also got in but I don't know if that contest was available to them then.  Now it seems like there are a dozen or more pros a year but I don't pay as much attention to bodybuilding now.  I don't think anybody does.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 05:23:37 PM »
Back then you had to win the USA (overall) or your class at the Nationals.  The overall North American winner also got in but I don't know if that contest was available to them then.  Now it seems like there are a dozen or more pros a year but I don't pay as much attention to bodybuilding now.  I don't think anybody does.

Yes same here in U.K. only the overall winner of the EFBB Britain got a Pro card.
As you say now it’s every man & his dog got a Pro card.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 06:10:39 PM »
I was a part of that entire group with Rory and Jeff as well as  Jon Aranita, Scotty Livingstone, Danny Beruman and Bob Paris. The theory behind the training (according to Jeff) was to create hyperplasia (muscle cell division). There’s a ton more involved but that’s the jist of it.

Did you and Bob ever lock eyes?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 02:57:21 AM »
Yes same here in U.K. only the overall winner of the EFBB Britain got a Pro card.
As you say now it’s every man & his dog got a Pro card.
Can you imagine someone like Dan Hill getting his pro card in the 80's? :D

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2018, 06:57:21 AM »
Can you imagine someone like Dan Hill getting his pro card in the 80's? :D

I couldn’t see him in the top 7-10range at National level

Yet Down Hill was a Pro  ::)
And
Rory / Matt never made it.

Top physiques went backwards!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2018, 08:18:18 AM »
Unfortunately, Rory was fighting his demons in the 80’s and part of the 90’s. The main reason for his inconsistency.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2018, 09:23:08 AM »
I have talked to a guy that was a sometime training partner with some of the the top stars of the early 80's in California. What I got from what he told me is the myth of massive poundage were a Weider creation. He said they used moderate weights with short rests between the sets. Failure was only reached after 4 to 6 sets. He like to talk about about Danny Padilla. Said for most of his exercises he did 5 sets of 12.  The first couple of sets were stopped well short of failure. More like endurance training. On the last set he might have failed at 8 reps.

Every time I get a first hand account of a pro training or my direct observation it's more times than not moderate weights and short rests between sets.  I'm sure many trained heavy but the majority of pro's used moderate weights.  

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2018, 11:31:08 AM »
That's probably the best for size.  Training with real heavy weight is a powerlifting routine and most powerlifters don't look anything like bodybuilders.

Titus Pullo

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2018, 12:02:18 PM »
Yeah.  Danny said he was fond of 5 sets of 12 with short rest periods.  I believe he mentioned using anywhere from 245 to *maybe* 275 on flat bench, maybe hitting failure on the fourth, maybe only the fifth, sets.  So, he was able to cram in a fair amount of volume with decent enough weight, yet not burn out with a gazillion sets to failure.