Author Topic: Do people believe in GOD simply because there is NO GOD?  (Read 21665 times)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
Re: Do people believe in GOD simply because there is NO GOD?
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2014, 04:27:31 AM »
Dont you have the courage to just say, "I dont believe"?
I don't believe. (in fantasy worldviews and make believe father figures).  
V

Simple Simon

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2014, 04:29:15 AM »
I don't believe. (in fantasy worldviews and make believe father figures). 
Well if your children dont believe either you have nothing to really worry about do you?
You did say you were being forced to believe earlier, seems that wasnt the case at all.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2014, 04:35:48 AM »

EKul posted a pic of himself a long time ago.

it went a long way in helping me understand why he's so angry.
b

Simple Simon

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2014, 04:44:13 AM »
EKul posted a pic of himself a long time ago.

it went a long way in helping me understand why he's so angry.

Hes made a mess of his argument by saying hes forced to believe it.

Lol, even the Spanish Inquesition couldnt make you believe something, they could make you say you believed it, totally different thing altogether.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2014, 04:44:32 AM »
the belief the universe and all that we know was created out of two random atoms (which came from where again? ) is no more more believable than a creator scenario.

That's for the people who dedicate themselves to studying the structure and origins of the universe to deduce -- i.e., the physicists. And they are by and large of the opinion that what you've said is utterly false.

it's one thing to argue a point when you have proofs. none of you have absolute proofs either way.

So we should only be allowed to discuss logic and mathematics, the only subjects where it possible to acquire absolute proofs for one's claim? There's no room for arguing about claims which have varying degrees of evidence in their favor?

so then I guess it comes down to faith and in that your in the same boat. so why are you even arguing in the first place.

You guessed wrong.

Even if you were right that the argument is being waged by equal and opposing forces buoyed by nothing but faith, there might be reason to argue: it's fun, for example.

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2014, 06:11:16 AM »
I don't feel bullied at all. All I see is a bunch of reactive dolts who meltdown every time their ridiculous and delusional worldview is challenged.  I actually feel sorry for you, faith and religion has obviously not helped you develop resilience and a tolerance for alternate ideas.  It is a sad indictment on religion that the atheists have a far greater resilience than those with faith.  It is amazing how the TRUTH does set you free(not the so called TRUTH religious nutters have simply made up), and the TRUTH is there is ZERO evidence for GOD.  It is your determined commitment to maintain countless religious lies that sees you and others like you so easily prone to melting down.

Guess what Shaggy... I'm agnostic. Dumbass.

And since you were so quick to say you didn't smoke pot, but didn't say a word about the other drugs, means I hit on one of them. Good luck with heroine addiction loser.
$

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2014, 06:19:07 AM »
Guess what Shaggy... I'm agnostic. Dumbass.

And since you were so quick to say you didn't smoke pot, but didn't say a word about the other drugs, means I hit on one of them. Good luck with heroine addiction loser.
I actually don't take any drugs, I don't even drink.  
V

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2014, 06:24:31 AM »
I actually don't take any drugs, I don't even drink.  

Ok everyone who believes this please sign this thread...
$

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2014, 06:27:44 AM »
Ok everyone who believes this please sign this thread...
It's no big deal, many people don't take drugs or drink.  I have done pot in the past, but have abstained from such activities for years now.
V

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2014, 06:35:12 AM »
People believe in god for multiple reasons.   They grew up with religion,  they are having an emotional crisis and fear of death are a few.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2014, 06:46:52 AM »
You're asking someone prone to believing in fairies and spirits without question to reject their whole upbringing and beliefs? They'll only ignore you and violently push back. Remember, some of these people spent neigh on 50 years believing this shit, do you think they're going to change NOW?

Talking about that, I'm still waiting for MOS to explain how 'god' created dinosaurs. Did they drop from the sky ala Titanfall or suddenly wander out of a cave, fully formed?

I already told you I don't how God creates....I can't explain that.   Were they fully formed?  Yes.

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2014, 07:17:50 AM »
Yes, there is no god or superior entities, religions are for the gullible... With this i don't want to offend people that beLIEve, if believing in some god does make you feel better or does make your life fuller, it's ok... As i always say, believe what you want...

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2014, 08:27:33 AM »
It's obvious by looking at the complexity and order of the universe and even our bodies, that life didn't happen by chance. There is a creator, or God. It's all right there for you. People either ignore this fact out of nativity, ego or they simply are too young to grasp yet.

It's when you start talking about organized religions - that were created by man - that things get messed up.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2014, 08:28:04 AM »
Yes, there is no god or superior entities, religions are for the gullible... With this i don't want to offend people that beLIEve, if believing in some god does make you feel better or does make your life fuller, it's ok... As i always say, believe what you want...
Typical libtard.  SO is it OK for people to believe terrorism is a suitable political tool, or that raping pre-pubescent girls is acceptable or that killing those who leave a religion is OK.  People who are OK with others to 'believe what you want' is why this world is such a fucked up place.  Nobody challenges irrationality or dangerous beliefs.  People are OK as long as bad shit happens to other people, when other beliefs cause them pain, suffering or death they suddenly realise how dangerous beliefs are.  Believing 'It is OK for others to believe as they want' is a dangerous belief indeed.  Unjust violence, terrorism and wars can be the end product of belief, probably not a good idea to just let people believe any old thing.
V

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2014, 08:39:26 AM »
It isn't hard to see that people believe in GOD because they are afraid and desperate to imagine into existence a caring Father figure to help them deal with the harsh realities of existence (like there is NO GOD).  So could it be that the realisation that there is NO GOD leads people to imagine one into existence to deal with the fact GOD DOESN'T EXIST?

If you would expand on the notion of the "realization" as that seems to be the crux of your point.  

What does that realization entail?  Is it universal amongst all types of theists?  Does the realization manifest itself in the same way?  

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2014, 08:44:45 AM »
It isn't hard to see that people believe in GOD because they are afraid and desperate to imagine into existence a caring Father figure to help them deal with the harsh realities of existence (like there is NO GOD).  So could it be that the realisation that there is NO GOD leads people to imagine one into existence to deal with the fact GOD DOESN'T EXIST?

You're a buffoon....nm

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
If you would expand on the notion of the "realization" as that seems to be the crux of your point.  

What does that realization entail?  Is it universal amongst all types of theists?  Does the realization manifest itself in the same way?  
Do you really need an explanation of how people come to the 'realisation' there is NO GOD.  Tell me, how did you come to the conclusion there is no such thing as Santa Claus or the flying spaghetti monster or ZEUS, you realised there was ZERO evidence for them, right!  Same deal with GOD, people may hold out hope for evidence, but after decades of not finding any, and learning that nobody has ever found any evidence of GOD since time immemorial, they come to realise GOD doesn't exist.  For those who can not accept this harsh reality, they simply ignore it and PRETEND as if there is a GOD to comfort them and minimise the pain that their realization has caused.
V

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
Do you really need an explanation of how people come to the 'realisation' there is NO GOD.  

Well, it's your premise so I wanted you to outline it more thoroughly so I can better understand.   That all important context can mean everything in so many cases.

Tell me, how did you come to the conclusion there is no such thing as Santa Claus or the flying spaghetti monster or ZEUS, you realised there was ZERO evidence for them, right!

That is exactly right there was no evidence for them.

Same deal with GOD, people may hold out hope for evidence, but after decades of not finding any, and learning that nobody has ever found any evidence of GOD since time immemorial, they come to realise GOD doesn't exist.  For those who can not accept this harsh reality, they simply ignore it and PRETEND as if there is a GOD to comfort them and minimise the pain that their realization has caused.

There is all kinds of evidence for God's reality and for biblical accuracy.   There's also absolute proof of God's reality.  

You just reject the evidence altogether and refuse to abide by God's offer to experience his revelation in your life (and therefore you also reject the proof).

God revealed himself to me when I surrendered to him.   His presence engulfed me and surrounded me and was so thick it was like moving through water (best I can describe).   The presence of the Holy Spirit has been demonstrated and repeated time and time again in my life and those of fellow believers.  

If you desire to know God then come to him and believe.  If you choose to stick to your guns then do that.  I don't suggest the latter, but I'm helpless to do anything about it either.  

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2014, 10:11:45 AM »
Well, it's your premise so I wanted you to outline it more thoroughly so I can better understand.   That all important context can mean everything in so many cases.

That is exactly right there was no evidence for them.

There is all kinds of evidence for God's reality and for biblical accuracy.   There's also absolute proof of God's reality.  

You just reject the evidence altogether and refuse to abide by God's offer to experience his revelation in your life (and therefore you also reject the proof).

God revealed himself to me when I surrendered to him.   His presence engulfed me and surrounded me and was so thick it was like moving through water (best I can describe).   The presence of the Holy Spirit has been demonstrated and repeated time and time again in my life and those of fellow believers.  

If you desire to know God then come to him and believe.  If you choose to stick to your guns then do that.  I don't suggest the latter, but I'm helpless to do anything about it either.  

Where is the objective truth? Not anecdotal evidence like your personal experience or those of others but valid factual evidence. 

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »
Where is the objective truth? Not anecdotal evidence like your personal experience or those of others but valid factual evidence. 

What type of reasonable evidence do you require?

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2014, 11:01:16 AM »

Jesus surrounded by angels bringing him breakfast coffee and donuts....why waste your time MOS?

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2014, 11:01:34 AM »

The kind that is objectively verifiable.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »

The kind that is objectively verifiable.

I think we can agree that the bible contains the Christian God's holy scriptures, yes?

So perhaps if we had some of the following that would be considered quality evidence for God:

-- archeological relics that verify the existence of places and people in the bible

-- extra-biblical accounts that validate the historicity of Jesus Christ's ministry, death and resurrection

-- multiple, independent attestations that agree closely on the facts of Jesus Christ's life, death and resurrection.  

-- the fulfillment of prophetic claims spanning hundreds of years between initial prophecy and fulfillment

Would you accept any of that evidence?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2014, 11:24:57 AM »
It's obvious by looking at the complexity and order of the universe and even our bodies, that life didn't happen by chance. There is a creator, or God. It's all right there for you. People either ignore this fact out of nativity, ego or they simply are too young to grasp yet.

It's when you start talking about organized religions - that were created by man - that things get messed up.

As it is obvious by looking at an active volcano that the gods are mad and require a human sacrifice...

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2014, 01:02:43 PM »
I think we can agree that the bible contains the Christian God's holy scriptures, yes?

So perhaps if we had some of the following that would be considered quality evidence for God:

-- archeological relics that verify the existence of places and people in the bible

-- extra-biblical accounts that validate the historicity of Jesus Christ's ministry, death and resurrection

-- multiple, independent attestations that agree closely on the facts of Jesus Christ's life, death and resurrection.  

-- the fulfillment of prophetic claims spanning hundreds of years between initial prophecy and fulfillment

Would you accept any of that evidence?

none of that qualifies as  independent unbiased evidence.  It's conjecture,  hearsay and interpretation.   Some of it such as some of the writings of Josephus are forgeries.