Author Topic: Obama aims for pro-gun vote  (Read 2956 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Obama aims for pro-gun vote
« on: April 06, 2008, 04:35:06 PM »

Barack Obama did not hunt or fish as a child. He lives in a big city. And as an Illinois state legislator and a U.S. senator, he consistently backed gun control legislation.

But he is nevertheless making a play for pro-gun voters in rural Pennsylvania.

By highlighting his background in constitutional law and downplaying his voting record, Obama is engaging in a quiet but targeted drive to win over an important constituency that on the surface might seem hostile to his views.

The need to craft a strategy aimed at pro-gun voters underscores the potency of the issue in Pennsylvania, which claims one of the nation’s highest per capita membership rates in the National Rifle Association.

It also could provide clues as to whether Obama, as one of the Senate’s more liberal members, can position himself as an acceptable choice to a conservative-minded demographic in later primary contests and in the general election.

“Guns are a cultural lens through which they view candidates,” said Jim Kessler, vice president for policy at Third Way, a progressive think tank. “If you are seen as way off on that issue, then you seem way off on everything. If you are seen as OK, if the lens is clearer, then they continue to look at you and size you up on other things.”

“For Obama, who is less known and is from Chicago, a city guy and an African American, the feeling is that he is anti-gun,” Kessler continued. “By handling the Second Amendment correctly, he starts to get a hearing among these folks.”

Obama aides would not discuss the campaign’s strategy. While the effort so far in Pennsylvania appears modest, it is noteworthy for a race that has largely avoided such direct engagement with gun owners.

The campaign has asked gun rights advocates like state Rep. Dan Surra, a Democrat from rural Elk County with an “A+” rating from the NRA, to form a coalition of supporters who can vouch for Obama.

“It is clear out there that I am for Obama, and they have reached out to me as a sportsman and a gun owner,” Surra said Thursday. “There has been an outreach to pro-gun legislators, pro-gun people who are sympathetic to Obama’s message.”

The campaign sent an e-mail this week to the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs, saying it would “appreciate all sportsmen taking time to learn the facts: Our candidate strongly supports the right and traditions of sportsmen throughout Pennsylvania and the United States of America.”

And with an endorsement last month from Sen. Bob Casey Jr., Obama got a boost within a community that the Pennsylvania Democrat has courted assiduously. As part of an initiative to move beyond his party’s traditional bases during the 2006 Senate campaign, Casey visited stock car races, demolition derbies and gun clubs. Campaign operatives to both senators are now working closely together.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton does not appear to be making the same level of effort. She has reminded audiences in the last few months that she learned to shoot a gun during childhood vacations in Scranton and bagged a duck as an adult. But neither the state Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs nor her pro-gun Democratic supporters have heard of any specific campaign outreach.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Re: Obama aims for pro-gun vote
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »
Probably a good idea to reach out to neo-cons and get some votes from mccain.....Politicians suk.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 05:29:45 PM »
Who is Obama trying to kid?  He's the most liberal candidate the Democras have fielded in a while, from the state with the strictest gun controls in the nation.   ::)
Ron: "I am lazy."

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 05:42:35 PM »
Who is Obama trying to kid?  He's the most liberal candidate the Democras have fielded in a while, from the state with the strictest gun controls in the nation.   ::)
"In a while" ::)  Oh you mean since the last election?  lol...

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 06:50:44 AM »

Barack Obama did not hunt or fish as a child. He lives in a big city. And as an Illinois state legislator and a U.S. senator, he consistently backed gun control legislation.

By highlighting his background in constitutional law and downplaying his voting record, Obama is engaging in a quiet but targeted drive to win over an important constituency that on the surface might seem hostile to his views.

Any gun owner or person concerned with 2A Rights who takes him on his word, vs. taking 2 seconds to look up his proposed restrictions and voting record, is an idiot. However, he does have some people on the fence on the issue who have never really check nor do they really care, convinced he's not anti gun, and I suspect that's the group he's targeting. He must know none of the true believers who have actually taken the 2 seconds to look at his stance on guns will believe anything he says.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 07:08:20 AM »
Dude..nobody has looked at his record on anything...if they had he'd have been buried months ago.....
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 07:09:55 AM »
Dude..nobody has looked at his record on anything...if they had he'd have been buried months ago.....

why do you suppose even FOX NEWS refuses to reveal all obama's secrets, if they indeed exist?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 08:08:42 AM »
These Republicrats are too funny.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 10:27:16 AM »
So, he really is a great politician.   ::)

His record has been for restrictive gun legislation, thats whats important.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 12:28:04 PM »

Shouldn't it read "gun-clinging" voters in rural PA?  Yeah, good luck with that one Obama.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »
Shouldn't it read "gun-clinging" voters in rural PA?  Yeah, good luck with that one Obama.

polls show he is unaffected.

he was 30 points down, 30 days ago.

now he's between 5 points and tied, depending which poll you believe.

All the rev wright and the 'clinging' comment have done is give him 25+ points in polls.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 01:16:55 PM »

All the rev wright and the 'clinging' comment have done is give him 25+ points in polls.

240 his past in no secret..wright/weather underground/black panthers/stupid comments/muslim or non-muslim/drugs/barely any senate record/ties to indicted real estate guy/non-substance speeches/wacky wife/....nothing matters right now to the dems...they have their guy and hopefully Mccain will light this idiot up. 20 years ago nobody could stand with this record.....but because he's black and not Hil..he has a chance. If he wasn't black the Dems would not have let him run.
L

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 01:20:27 PM »

My point is he shouldn't waste his time trying to court gun owners with quotes like that.  As far as picking up % points among left-leaning primary voters who are much more extreme than the general population, I would watch out once the general election season begins, he may have a nasty surprise in store for him (Mr. and Mrs. Middle America don't tend to be too fond with those who associate themselves with 60s era radical terrorists!)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 01:21:48 PM »
240 his past in no secret..wright/weather underground/black panthers/stupid comments/muslim or non-muslim/drugs/barely any senate record/ties to indicted real estate guy/non-substance speeches/wacky wife/....nothing matters right now to the dems...they have their guy and hopefully Mccain will light this idiot up. 20 years ago nobody could stand with this record.....but because he's black and not Hil..he has a chance. If he wasn't black the Dems would not have let him run.
::)

McCain isn't lighting anyone up. If he wasn't a former POW they wouldn't have let HIM run. Grandpa will look mighty old against Obama.
!

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 01:27:40 PM »

McCain isn't lighting anyone up. If he wasn't a former POW they wouldn't have let HIM run. Grandpa will look mighty old against Obama.

He'll look pretty wise next to him too.

And that says something considering we're talking about McCain.  :-\

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »

If we're going solely on personal appearance (a questionable criteria), I think the voters may go for old versus the "space alien" look,

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 01:32:43 PM »

U of course realize Mccain has been in the Senate since the mid 80's right ::)
L

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 01:38:15 PM »
U of course realize Mccain has been in the Senate since the mid 80's right ::)

I doubt he knows that. Probably a child of the 90s.  :-\

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
I doubt he knows that. Probably a child of the 90s.  :-\

negative, pops.  ;)

I'm well aware of grandpa's longevity in the senate, as well as his votes against the MLK holiday in AZ and against the Civil Rights Act of the 1980's. This guy has been on the wrong side of too many issues.

And he has most certainly used his POW status for his political ambitions. He even dumped his first wife to use his 2nd's (Cindy) money to continue to fuel his political ambitions. Rat-faced bastard.
!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 01:44:03 PM »
HH6, I ask again. Who are you voting for?  ::)
!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 01:45:42 PM »
Obama went to Wright's church to prove his blackness and get elected..same difference....they're all full of shit.

MCCAIN..who else is even close to the Conservative platform.
L

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »
negative, pops.  ;)

I'm well aware of grandpa's longevity in the senate, as well as his votes against the MLK holiday in AZ and against the Civil Rights Act of the 1980's. This guy has been on the wrong side of too many issues.

And he has most certainly used his POW status for his political ambitions. He even dumped his first wife to use his 2nd's (Cindy) money to continue to fuel his political ambitions. Rat-faced bastard.

All those things are true. He's no favorite for conservatives but given our options he's the best of the bunch.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 01:57:49 PM »
Obama went to Wright's church to prove his blackness and get elected..same difference....they're all full of shit.

MCCAIN..who else is even close to the Conservative platform.
Great. So in support of McCain you are ready to serve again in Iraq, right?
!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 02:23:06 PM »
I'm trying to go back in the spring of 09'. It makes no difference to me. I will be in the service another 10 year or so regardless. I already have 2 tours....
L

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 03:14:57 PM »
I'm trying to go back in the spring of 09'. It makes no difference to me. I will be in the service another 10 year or so regardless. I already have 2 tours....
Great! Good luck. With your war hero McCain in office you could expect many more tours of duty. America needs more suckers soldiers like you!
!