Author Topic: Why Denny's is in damage-control mode  (Read 2963 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Why Denny's is in damage-control mode
« on: November 20, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »

By Steve Benen

In the wake of President Obama's re-election, a few restaurant chains raised eyebrows by making threats related to the Affordable Care Act. An Applebees franchise owner, for example, vowed to stop building and hiring because of the health-care law.

But it was Denny's franchise owner John Metz who caused the biggest stir, publicly declaring his intention to impose a 5 percent surcharge on customers at his 30 Denny's outlets to offset "Obamacare" costs. "Customers have two choices: They can either pay it and tip 15 or 20 percent, or if they really feel so inclined, they can reduce the amount of tip they give to the server," Metz said.

The backlash didn't take long. Denny's diners, including many that aren't owned by Metz, immediately saw a drop in sales, and were inundated with phone calls from angry customers. With other franchise owners panicking due to boycott threats, the corporate office is in damage-control mode.

Denny's chief executive John Miller privately reached out to Metz to express his "disappointment" with the Florida franchisee's controversial statements about Obamacare, which sparked a wave of backlash for the national restaurant chain over the past few days. Metz released a statement Monday night expressing "regret" over his statements.

"We recognize his right to speak on issues, but registered our disappointment that his comments have been interpreted as the company's position," Miller said in an email to The Huffington Post.

"Unfortunately, the comments of this franchisee, who represents less than 1 percent of our system and who owns restaurants in other concepts, has been portrayed as reflective of the entire Denny's brand," Miller added. "I am confident his perspective is not shared by the company or hundreds of franchisees/small business owners who make up the majority of the Denny's community."

For his part, Metz is in full retreat, issuing a statement denouncing the surcharge he defended last week.

- more -

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2012/11/20/15309866-why-dennys-is-in-damage-control-mode

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Why Denny's is in damage-control mode
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 03:29:26 PM »

By Steve Benen

In the wake of President Obama's re-election, a few restaurant chains raised eyebrows by making threats related to the Affordable Care Act. An Applebees franchise owner, for example, vowed to stop building and hiring because of the health-care law.

But it was Denny's franchise owner John Metz who caused the biggest stir, publicly declaring his intention to impose a 5 percent surcharge on customers at his 30 Denny's outlets to offset "Obamacare" costs. "Customers have two choices: They can either pay it and tip 15 or 20 percent, or if they really feel so inclined, they can reduce the amount of tip they give to the server," Metz said.

The backlash didn't take long. Denny's diners, including many that aren't owned by Metz, immediately saw a drop in sales, and were inundated with phone calls from angry customers. With other franchise owners panicking due to boycott threats, the corporate office is in damage-control mode.

Denny's chief executive John Miller privately reached out to Metz to express his "disappointment" with the Florida franchisee's controversial statements about Obamacare, which sparked a wave of backlash for the national restaurant chain over the past few days. Metz released a statement Monday night expressing "regret" over his statements.

"We recognize his right to speak on issues, but registered our disappointment that his comments have been interpreted as the company's position," Miller said in an email to The Huffington Post.

"Unfortunately, the comments of this franchisee, who represents less than 1 percent of our system and who owns restaurants in other concepts, has been portrayed as reflective of the entire Denny's brand," Miller added. "I am confident his perspective is not shared by the company or hundreds of franchisees/small business owners who make up the majority of the Denny's community."

For his part, Metz is in full retreat, issuing a statement denouncing the surcharge he defended last week.

- more -

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2012/11/20/15309866-why-dennys-is-in-damage-control-mode

Good :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 03:31:40 PM »
Denny's is in trouble because they get a ton of obama voters in there

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »

Then i suggest you eat there from now on to support the business

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 03:36:28 PM »
Then i suggest you eat there from now on to support the business

I have not eaten in a denny's for at least 25 years

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 04:19:07 PM »

How can you possibly know the customer base of dennys if you haven't eaten there in 25 years?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 04:33:36 PM »
denny's food sucks

obviously their politics are worse

universal health lowers healthcare costs

american'ts are nuts

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »
You got ANY numbers to back up that claim?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »
back in 1993, 1994... me and my friends would hit that $1.99 grand slam + free ice water with lemon.  Tip 50 cents, and you're in great shape for the day.

Now I can't even read a Denny's menu witohuot having to take a crap.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »
back in 1993, 1994... me and my friends would hit that $1.99 grand slam + free ice water with lemon.  Tip 50 cents, and you're in great shape for the day.

Now I can't even read a Denny's menu witohuot having to take a crap.

;D

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »

Probably the last time it was decent, I've heard some older people say it was actually pretty good back in the day.

And by the way is "La Quinta" hotel Spanish for "behind the Dennys"? Seems like I always see those 2 near each other.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 08:17:58 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 08:21:58 AM »

Just by experience.   Last time I though about going t a dennys was in north carolina and i ulled in the parking lot and it was filled with obama voters and tour busses of gospel groups and shit like that.   

I pulled right out the FNG parking lot and went elsewhere.  Same w Ihop 

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 05:03:20 PM »
Just by experience.   Last time I though about going t a dennys was in north carolina and i ulled in the parking lot and it was filled with obama voters and tour busses of gospel groups and shit like that.   

;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 05:15:03 PM »

where did you go?    Dennys is often the only place open late.  Usually IHOP, Awful house and Perkins.   People go there to sober up, eat after work/clubbing, etc.  Police do get called often, usually cause people show up half drunk.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 05:39:16 PM »
where did you go?    Dennys is often the only place open late.  Usually IHOP, Awful house and Perkins.   People go there to sober up, eat after work/clubbing, etc.  Police do get called often, usually cause people show up half drunk.

half drunk is an american't thing...

we canadians go fully drunk or not at all

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »
half drunk is an american't thing...

we canadians go fully drunk or not at all

if police really wanted to bust drunk drivers, they'd stop them pulling INTO Denny's at 2:05 am

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »

I think i ended up at a dunkin donuts or something.  Bro - I know the deal.  Those peeps are horrible customers and demand all sorts of shit from the waiters and thus you yourself get baf service.   

Then there are the fights and loud rude obnoxious shit you dont want to hear while you eat.  For what?  A Grand Slam?  LOL.  Fuck that. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 08:11:03 PM »

no shit... haha  ;D

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 08:11:15 PM »
I think i ended up at a dunkin donuts or something.  Bro - I know the deal.  Those peeps are horrible customers and demand all sorts of shit from the waiters and thus you yourself get baf service.   

Then there are the fights and loud rude obnoxious shit you dont want to hear while you eat.  For what?  A Grand Slam?  LOL.  Fuck that. 

33386 can get out there a little bit with some of the stuff he's saying but lets face it, the guy is telling the truth on a ton of stuff as well.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 08:12:03 PM »

I ate at Denny's in Tampa, Florida when I was 11.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 08:16:27 PM »
I ate at Denny's in Tampa, Florida when I was 11.  

Not kidding , my girl and i were in NC for the NHL all star game and looking for place to eat.  We pull in the parking lot and there are tour buses that say gospel tours or some bullshit like that and huge land whales all over the place in they sunday best pink dresses and white bonnets and shit.  Dudes in white tuxedos and capezios etc. 

Tons of slobs waiting outside sitting on flower planters waiting for service.   You think I'm dealing with that bullshit? 

LMFAO!   Even my GF who is disgusted by my racism towards so many groups told me to get the f out of there. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 10:02:59 PM »
This tells me you're used to hanging out in the wrong neighbourhoods.

Could be that some people are already so "ghetto" themselves, that even on a roadtrip, they're like a ghetto magnet.

Maybe if you had a little more class, polish & finesse, you wouldn't keep finding yourself gravitating towards places filled with people you find undesirable.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 10:12:27 PM »
This tells me you're used to hanging out in the wrong neighbourhoods.

Could be that some people are already so "ghetto" themselves, that even on a roadtrip, they're like a ghetto magnet.

Maybe if you had a little more class, polish & finesse, you wouldn't keep finding yourself gravitating towards places filled with people you find undesirable.

We are experiencing a ghettoization f america

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 10:33:57 PM »

We are experiencing a ghettoization f america

No doubt, ...with you & your ilk leading the charge. With the behaviours & attitudes you've exhibited over the past few years, this doesn't surprise me in the least.
w