Author Topic: Eddie Alvarez Talks Bellator, Shinya Aoki  (Read 634 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Eddie Alvarez Talks Bellator, Shinya Aoki
« on: May 29, 2009, 06:17:35 AM »
MMA Mania interviews Eddie Alvarez. He talks about his future after the Bellator tournament:

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): You obviously have one more fight left under Bellator and you said one more over in Japan. What is going to be your mentality after you complete those two fights? Are you going to explore all your options at that point?

Eddie Alvarez: No, I’m very happy with Bellator. The thing with K-1 is that I signed with them a while ago and I just so happened to still have one fight left for a rainy day or if something happens. Right now my main concern is Bellator. I’m out here with Bellator and they’re treating me good. I want to continue to have success with Bellator and to have myself grow as a fighter along with the promotion.

He also talks Shinya Aoki:

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): You took on Shinya Aoki next under the K-1 banner and he was able to catch you with a heel hook in the first round. Do you feel like you made a mistake in that fight or did he simply catch you and you have to tip your cap to the guy?

Eddie Alvarez: I think I have to tip my cap to the guy. I was in the best shape of my life. I felt very ready and very prepared. I think I underestimated the whole leg lock submission. I didn’t respect it. I think the way to win that fight was to put him in my world and capitalize as soon as possible and end the fight.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): I understand Aoki tweaked your knee a bit. How bad did he hurt your knee with the submission? Did you tear anything? How long were you out?

Eddie Alvarez: He tore up my MCL and my LCL. He didn’t tear them completely. I just had to be out and rest and everything. I’m 100% now but after that fight it was pretty bad. It was hard to walk.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Eddie Alvarez Talks Bellator, Shinya Aoki
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 03:49:03 AM »
i remember eddie back in 98 or so when he was fighting in the smaller shows like ring of combat and reality fighting, i used to bullshit with him before his fights. he was the calmest dude ive ever met before a fight, youd swear he was home laying on the couch flipping through the remote,lol. he never got anxious or worried, i asked him how he was able to stay so calm, he said he used to fight in the street constantly and didnt know if people had knives and guns so fighting in a cage is a piece of cake compared to that :o. eddie is one of the nicest guys youll ever meet, really mellow cat
R