Author Topic: 45% Of Doctors Would Consider Quitting If Congress Passes Health Care Overhaul  (Read 1391 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
45% Of Doctors Would Consider Quitting If Congress Passes Health Care Overhaul
Investor's Business Daily ^ | 9/15/09 | Terry Jones

Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:25:07 AM by harpu

Two of every three practicing physicians oppose the medical overhaul plan under consideration in Washington, and hundreds of thousands would think about shutting down their practices or retiring early if it were adopted...

The poll contradicts the claims of not only the White House, but also doctors' own lobby — the powerful American Medical Association — both of which suggest the medical profession is behind the proposed overhaul.

It also calls into question whether an overhaul is even doable; 72% of the doctors polled disagree with the administration's claim that the government can cover 47 million more people with better-quality care at lower cost.

The IBD/TIPP Poll was conducted by mail the past two weeks, with 1,376 practicing physicians chosen randomly throughout the country taking part. Responses are still coming in, and doctors' positions on related topics — including the impact of an overhaul on senior care, medical school applications and drug development — will be covered later in this series.

• Two-thirds, or 65%, of doctors say they oppose the proposed government expansion plan. This contradicts the administration's claims that doctors are part of an "unprecedented coalition" supporting a medical overhaul.

It also differs with findings of a poll released Monday by National Public Radio that suggests a "majority of physicians want public and private insurance options," and clashes with media reports such as Tuesday's front-page story in the Los Angeles Times with the headline "Doctors Go For Obama's Reform."

-snip-

• Four of nine doctors, or 45%, said they "would consider leaving their practice or taking an early retirement" if Congress passes the plan the Democratic majority and White House have in mind.

More than 800,000 doctors were practicing in 2006, the government says. Projecting the poll's finding onto that population, 360,000 doctors would consider quitting.

-snip-

(Excerpt) Read more at ibdeditorials.com ...

________________________ ________________________ ______________

This is from Investors Business Daily. 

Where is the link and source of Mons' poll?   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Seven years ago, I needed 7 stitches in my head.  I got a bill for $2200 for 2 hours of hospital visit.

If docs are pissed obama is gonna tread on their ability to charge me 1100 an hour for stitches, well....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Seven years ago, I needed 7 stitches in my head.  I got a bill for $2200 for 2 hours of hospital visit.

If docs are pissed obama is gonna tread on their ability to charge me 1100 an hour for stitches, well....

Well, then you will get no treatment and have to do it yourself old school 240. 

The way to bring down prices, like any other service, is to increase supply and competition. 

More doctors, more nurses, less regulation, less mandates, and less govt interference.   

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
240, that comment is way off and this reflects the poor knowledge of the medical system in this country. 

Doctors had nothing to do with assigning you that charge.  The charge is set by insurance companies (who base their rates off of medicare allowables) and hospitals (which, for a decade or two, are no longer controlled by doctors).  Business and nursing administrators control hospitals.  Most doctors are seen as expendible.  Part of that cost is related to the excessive operating costs of a hospital and the costs they absorb by treating people that choose not to pay their bills.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Well, then you will get no treatment and have to do it yourself old school 240.  
The way to bring down prices, like any other service, is to increase supply and competition.  
More doctors, more nurses, less regulation, less mandates, and less govt interference.  

We tried it that way.  8 years of Bush healthcare, and my prices doubled. And I"m powerless to stop it.

We regulate automakers (finally).  We are just starting to regulate financial markets so they can't bmelt things again.  I see obama getting involved here as "he knows a healthcare meltdown in 3 or 5 years away, and he's acting now to prevent it".

Much the same way bush SHOULD have slapped fannie mae's hand in 2004 when he had the power to do so.  Or when he should have started drilling in 2000, but didn't have the guts and didn't want to piss off the mid east.

Obama's trying to stop a healthcare meltdown.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
240, that comment is way off and this reflects the poor knowledge of the medical system in this country. 

Doctors had nothing to do with assigning you that charge.  The charge is set by insurance companies (who base their rates off of medicare allowables) and hospitals (which, for a decade or two, are no longer controlled by doctors).  Business and nursing administrators control hospitals.  Most doctors are seen as expendible.  Part of that cost is related to the excessive operating costs of a hospital and the costs they absorb by treating people that choose not to pay their bills.

And obama is trying to limit their ability to raise prices.  What if 10 years from now, it would cost 4400 for those stitches (if prices double again?)   

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
We tried it that way.  8 years of Bush healthcare, and my prices doubled. And I"m powerless to stop it.

We regulate automakers (finally).  We are just starting to regulate financial markets so they can't bmelt things again.  I see obama getting involved here as "he knows a healthcare meltdown in 3 or 5 years away, and he's acting now to prevent it".

Much the same way bush SHOULD have slapped fannie mae's hand in 2004 when he had the power to do so.  Or when he should have started drilling in 2000, but didn't have the guts and didn't want to piss off the mid east.

You know you are almost commical, the fucking actions of the government cause all these problems, but no one seems to notice that. Then the government demonizes something in the private sector who has to abide the governments fucked up rules, and you drop to you knees and praise the government for fixing before it melts down ::)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
My main point is that the cost has nothing to do with doctors.

There's no doubt the system needs to be changed.  The hard part is that any medical system is expensive and needs to be paid for.  There is no free lunch.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
You know you are almost commical, the fucking actions of the government cause all these problems, but no one seems to notice that. Then the government demonizes something in the private sector who has to abide the governments fucked up rules, and you drop to you knees and praise the government for fixing before it melts down ::)

Harry Browne, famous libertarian, said:

The government breaks your legs, hands you a crutch, and says "see, without me you would never be able to walk".

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
My main point is that the cost has nothing to do with doctors.

There's no doubt the system needs to be changed.  The hard part is that any medical system is expensive and needs to be paid for.  There is no free lunch.

Good post.

The sooner medical care is provided, the less it cost in the end.

Eg, if a fat obese person gets proper treatment, the chance of them developing diabetes goes down.

And a person with diabetes, with proper foot care, medication et al, the chances of avoiding amputation is much higher.

So the question isn't IF there has to be a change.

But rather - HOW it can be changed into something better for the tax payers.

There's no point in change if there is no improvement IMO.
As empty as paradise

240 is Back

• Getbig V
so in 2 years, I split my head open again, and it suddenly costs 5 or 6 grand for those stitches...

tough shit?

Sorry.  We let wall street do what they wanted, and we saw where that led.  We let the unions run shit, and it bankrupted automakers.  We let big oil run shit, and suddenly we're bowing to them for oil to keep our lights on.

Obama is standing up to the companies' stranglehold on prices.

and ppl here are still blowing the health insurance co's, because they want obama to fail.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
so in 2 years, I split my head open again, and it suddenly costs 5 or 6 grand for those stitches...

tough shit?

Sorry.  We let wall street do what they wanted, and we saw where that led.  We let the unions run shit, and it bankrupted automakers.  We let big oil run shit, and suddenly we're bowing to them for oil to keep our lights on.

and ppl here are still blowing the health insurance co's, because they want obama to fail.

Ha ha.  240 - you seriously cant be that dumb to think that an idiot like Dear Leader who HAS NEVER RUN A BUSINESS OR LEMONADE STAND has even an ounce of a clue about how to deliver health care at a cheaper cost.

Free market capitilism works almost every time its tried. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way

tough shit?

boom

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

boom

I want him to fail too, for your sake.  His plans will destroy your ability to make a living Mal.

You will have a crap load of loans and a shrinking income all to pass this garbage. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V

in ten years, they're gonna charge me 10K for stitches.

What will any repub candidate do to stop insurance companies from raising prices that much?

Don't insult obama and lemonade stands - answer the damn Q.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

What will any repub candidate do to stop insurance companies from raising prices that much?

Learn home medicine.  Old School it.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Learn home medicine.  Old School it.   

no way.  I once saw a lady do a botched home labotamy, and the only phrases she could mutter afterwards were "drill baby drill" and "you betcha!"

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
no way.  I once saw a lady do a botched home labotamy, and the only phrases she could mutter afterwards were "drill baby drill" and "you betcha!"

Dont be insulting my girl like that!   ;D  ;D  ;D

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Dont be insulting my girl like that!   ;D  ;D  ;D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
240, hardly anyone is arguing for the status quo.  Libs keep saying that but its a talking point, they are wrong.  Many agree with 80% of what the president spoke about.  We have to figure out how to pay for reform now.

mal, in England did you know that primary care docs make the equivalent of $80,000 per year?  In socialized medicine docs get paid less, wait times for procedures are much longer and there is more rationing than we have now.  Private docs would get crushed under over regulation.  Government always adds more red tape.

I am interested in this co-op idea.

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

Somebody here freaking gets it!!!! 

Once again Getbig...what if we actually enforced the laws that are already in place?  Much like our trading laws that were blatantly ignored...now our president is creating ANOTHER federal agency.

What if our Congress people outlawed lobby groups? 

What if we could shop across state lines for insurance?

What if we stopped letting the insurance companies be exempt from anti-trust laws?

What if we realized that this bill will do nothing but increase insurance bank accounts? 

IT'S THE FUCKING GOVERNMENT'S FAULT THAT MEDICAL PRICES ARE THIS HIGH IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!  WE HAVE A BUNCH OF COWARDS THE "REPRESENT" US!!!

Yeah, yeah, I know...meltdown.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!

240, do you not have insurance at all? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
240, do you not have insurance at all? 

I didnt have insurance back then.  I have it now.  I'm very happy with it, so I won't be broken up if the obama plan doesn't pass.

however, I am scared the price of coverage will go up in the coming years.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I didnt have insurance back then.  I have it now.  I'm very happy with it, so I won't be broken up if the obama plan doesn't pass.

however, I am scared the price of coverage will go up in the coming years.

Read the WSJ today.  They detail how Baucus' plan will raise your insurance costs.