Author Topic: Sergio Oliva - London 1972  (Read 35038 times)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: Sergio Oliva - London 1972
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 03:08:37 PM »
I agree!
However if any body has a chance to equal or surpass it's this kid...

Sergio Oliva Jr.!

Damn looks like he got daddy's genetics! Lucky guy!
just push some weight!

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 11:07:36 AM »
Best BBer to ever step on stage no question about it
X

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 07:42:49 AM »
His arms are so damn big they look photoshopped!

One of my favorite bodybuilders of all time.

8)

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 06:30:18 PM »
I agree!
However if any body has a chance to equal or surpass it's this kid...

Sergio Oliva Jr.!

Mike Katz looking swole.
The House that Ruth built

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2007, 05:49:30 AM »
Great pics, thanks for sharing them. I dont think anyone ever has had arms that full. It's like they couldnt even fit any more muscle in the space.

eliscominblue

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2007, 06:16:39 AM »
truly a rugged physique.  I am always floored by seeing how impressive his arms where.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2007, 05:42:44 PM »
awesome physique especially for his time. but- dexter jackson and capriese murray( whatever happened to that guy) is/are pretty much the modern versions of oliva.

Not even close. I gotta give credit to Dex and Capriese for just comming in crazy ripped but they have nothing on Sergio.

just push some weight!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2007, 10:06:15 PM »
  Simply incredible. Amazing. The roundness and lengh of Sergio's muscle bellies are simply super-human. If there is one person who deserves to be regarded as "genetically superior" as far as bodybuilding goes, it is Sergio.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2007, 12:47:30 AM »
Musclebellies insert and never end.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2007, 05:28:32 AM »
Whats amazing is - Nobody rips on this guy. I cant ever remember a critical word. Someone rips everyother BBer on the planet. He was the greatest IMO.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2007, 10:34:59 AM »
Very true.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2007, 10:05:59 AM »
Whats amazing is - Nobody rips on this guy. I cant ever remember a critical word. Someone rips everyother BBer on the planet. He was the greatest IMO.

Sure they do, just not on this forum. Especially when compared to the other great BB of the time Schwarzenegger those who prefer Arnold will mention that Sergio often didn't diet down and  thus lacked Arnold's degree of detail & muscle quality for example. Arms weren't as refined, didn't have the same peaks, show muscles weren't as dramatic, couldn't pose that well, used too much oil in '72, etc. A few things can be mentioned; unfortunately the most widely circulated pics of Sergio are after/before his peak. Not a lot of widely available shots of him at his best.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2007, 10:13:16 AM »
Sergio? Extremely full muscle bellies w/  long tie-ins, tiny waist, outstanding symmetry...
At his best, Arnie needed a lot more leg to balance his upper body.
The judging criteria were F'd in the day. It shackled us with a couple dainty, bony little Mr Olympia's at the expense of some guys w/ real muscle.
It's called Body Building not shaping or underwear modeling.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2007, 10:15:37 AM »
Sergio? Extremely full muscle bellies w/  long tie-ins, tiny waist, outstanding symmetry...
At his best, Arnie needed a lot more leg to balance his upper body.
The judging criteria were F'd in the day. It shackled us with a couple dainty, bony little Mr Olympia's at the expense of some guys w/ real muscle.
It's called Body Building not shaping or underwear modeling.

That's your opinon. The objective answer as someone who's been following it since back when they competed and is more aware than most here about contest politics, is that it's just a flip of a coin, personal preference.

Equal greatness; in '73 and '74 Arnold was inspired to get in his best shape because he expected Oliva to be there following the Mr. International thing. The fact is Oliva was *never* in Arnold's '73 condition. Oliva was equally great due to other advantages he had. They both had strengths the other didn't, which is what will always make the comparison between them interesting.

Besides which you're wrong that no one criticizes Oliva's physique; i gave you some examples. About the only BBs who are beyond criticism are Reeves and Padilla; Padilla's only fault was lack of height.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2007, 11:04:10 AM »
I'm sorry, but Reeves never had enough beef to be called a BBer by modern standards IMO. Haynes.
You clearly prefer a wasp like waist in preference to Herculean muscle. To each his own.
I think Sergio had the greatest potential of all time.
Your criticism of him is rare.
I'm with ya on Danny.
Times and judging criteria change. When's the last time you saw a vacuum shot pose?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2007, 11:09:38 AM »
I'm sorry, but Reeves never had enough beef to be called a BBer by modern standards IMO. Haynes.
You clearly prefer a wasp like waist in preference to Herculean muscle. To each his own.
I think Sergio had the greatest potential of all time.
Your criticism of him is rare.
I'm with ya on Danny.
Times and judging criteria change. When's the last time you saw a vacuum shot pose?

You're completely ruled by your personal preferences over objectivity. I see things clearly, you have a personal bias that clouds your assessment as proven by the fact you're clueless that some aren't as in love with hmi as you-notice the other post here saying exactly that? Hello Mars?

Im not a fan of him what so ever, there is nothing dramatic about his look its plain. Hes just like Mustafa Mohammed everything on him looks good to very good individually but overall hes boring.

Many think he's great, smaller numbers aren't impressed. Same applies to almost any great BB. Get over to other BB boards or the main board here when there's an Arnold or Sergio thread and you'll see a more balanced assessment than you have right now. You'll probably be in shock for a while when you realize how out of it you've been. :o ;) ;)

As far as Reeves i was making a point about the fact that most BBs can be criticised for something or other. Really irrelevant what era he was in to make my point.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2007, 11:37:20 AM »
You're completely ruled by your personal preferences over objectivity. ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My feelings exactly about your self, but it's not raising my BP any.
 I seen the other threads, everyone has a different opinion of what BBing perfection is. Your no more right that anyone else HERE. At a SHOW, the Judges decide. And what's hot or not changes like fashion over time. Your and my opinions may or may not.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2007, 11:58:57 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My feelings exactly about your self, but it's not raising my BP any.
 I seen the other threads, everyone has a different opinion of what BBing perfection is. Your no more right that anyone else HERE. At a SHOW, the Judges decide. And what's hot or not changes like fashion over time. Your and my opinions may or may not.

Because of your ego, you think you have the definitive answer LOL Notice i don't say whether Arnold or Oliva was better the way you do, because the truth is they were equally great. The rest is personal opinion, not you knowing better genius.

Do yourself a favor, use this wakeup call to get a grip. At this point you only see through your own bias. You can thank me later when you finally get it. ;D

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2007, 12:10:36 PM »
Because of your ego, you think you have the definitive answer LOL Notice i don't say whether Arnold or Oliva was better the way you do, because the truth is they were equally great. The rest is personal opinion, not you knowing better genius.

Do yourself a favor, use this wakeup call to get a grip. At this point you only see through your own bias. You can thank me later when you finally get it. ;D

Wow! Seek help ::) Totally bent over nada. Are you recently divorced?
You keep talking "Bias" opinion etc. but everyone that differs w/ YOUR opinion is WRONG.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2007, 12:15:12 PM »
Let's review your obliviousness, mired in ego:

-Completely clueless that anyone criticizes your hero, even though someone just posted something about how unimpressed he is about Oliva, that of course you completely ignored. LOL It's time for you to be scared in terms of your naivete, which clearly has continued your entire life, until now. Eventually you'll thank me for the wake up call, IF you're smart (not sure on that one).

-Your BB claims are highly opionated and should be framed as such, but because of the HUGE EGO you talk as though what you think is fact when it's not. Totally out to lunch without realizing it.

YOU'VE BEEN SCHOOLED. SCHOOL'S OUT, KID. ;)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2007, 12:57:20 PM »
Let's review your obliviousness, mired in ego:

-Completely clueless that anyone criticizes your hero, even though someone just posted something about how unimpressed he is about Oliva, that of course you completely ignored. LOL It's time for you to be scared in terms of your naivete, which clearly has continued your entire life, until now. Eventually you'll thank me for the wake up call, IF you're smart (not sure on that one).

-Your BB claims are highly opionated and should be framed as such, but because of the HUGE EGO you talk as though what you think is fact when it's not. Totally out to lunch without realizing it.

YOU'VE BEEN SCHOOLED. SCHOOL'S OUT, KID. ;)

Bud you got major hostility and Ego issues, if your on a load of androgen - I'd back it down before your in trouble w/ the law. This much temper and blind ego on a keyboard? Major problem to everyone around you is a good bet.
Hope everything works out for you,Good luck you gonna need it. FO KID :-*

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2007, 01:19:03 PM »
Bud you got major hostility and Ego issues, if your on a load of androgen - I'd back it down before your in trouble w/ the law. This much temper and blind ego on a keyboard? Major problem to everyone around you is a good bet.
Hope everything works out for you,Good luck you gonna need it. FO KID :-*

According to someone with demonstratedly warped perceptions.

Is it your ADD that prevents you from sticking to BB here?

suckmymuscle

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2007, 05:45:48 AM »
  Pumpy, if you were a hypothetical judge at a contest where Arnold stepped onstage in his 1974 form, and Oliva in his 1972 one, how would you rule? I am curious about your opinion. We seldom agree about modern bodybuilders, but we both think highly of the Ironagers.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2007, 06:12:19 AM »
  Pumpy, if you were a hypothetical judge at a contest where Arnold stepped onstage in his 1974 form, and Oliva in his 1972 one, how would you rule? I am curious about your opinion. We seldom agree about modern bodybuilders, but we both think highly of the Ironagers.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

I've already said that it was too close to call; if they competed in this condition 6 times each would win 3 in fair contests, which these weren't. Weider had clear magazine and ad sales agendas attached to having a more charismatic BB on the covers and in articles. A shame though that Sergio wasn't at least shown for a minute during the movie Pumping Iron, but unfortunately the movie unlike the book version was very Weider-oriented and showing Oliva might've ruined the story line given that it would have had to be explained why he wasn't also competing in the Olympia which was also about politics that wouldn't have been any more appealing to show on screen than steroids that were also left out.

I like Arnold's '73 condition better-slightly smaller than '74 but leaner, and probably highly motivated by the threat of Oliva's presence and on-stage challenge to Weider/Schwarzenegger/Columbu sitting in the audience at the Mr. International shortly before the Olympia in '73. Based on that and lessons learned in '72 such as ensuring optimal condition AND a tan that was previously lacking, it's a photo finish.

Here are the best shots ever of each IMO, from after the show in '72 when Sergio peaked a day later and wasn't overly covered in oil, and Arnold in '73. I saw all of these shots at the time they first came out in Muscle.

Oliva was rarely close to this condition in his career, and any training shots taken by Weider's better photographers in the late 60s aren't around. Which means that most pics circulated aren't good representations. Schwarzenegger sustained a higher level of conditioning for longer while  also benefitting from a legacy of good photographs from Weider's photographers documenting his workouts for years in the early-mid 70s.

Whatever choice i make would just be personal preference. Notice the striking different in Schwarzenegger's tan from '72 to '73. Sergio with a higher degree of detail than normally seen.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2007, 06:31:35 AM »
I've already said that it was too close to call; if they competed in this condition 6 times each would win 3 in fair contests, which these weren't. Weider had clear magazine and ad sales agendas attached to having a more charismatic BB on the covers and in articles. A shame though that Sergio wasn't at least shown for a minute during the movie Pumping Iron, but unfortunately the movie unlike the book version was very Weider-oriented and showing Oliva might've ruined the story line given that it would have had to be explained why he wasn't also competing in the Olympia which was also about politics that wouldn't have been any more appealing to show on screen than steroids that were also left out.

I like Arnold's '73 condition better-slightly less puffed up than '74 but even higher quality and condition due to the threat of Oliva's presence and challenge from the stage to Weider/Schwarzenegger/Columbu sitting in the audience at the Mr. International shortly before the Olympia in '73. Based on that and lessons learned in '72 such as ensuring optimal condition AND a tan that was lacking, it's a photo finish.

Here are the best shots ever of each IMO, from after the show in '72 when Sergio peaked a day later and wasn't overly covered in oil, and Arnold in '73. I saw all of these shots at the time they first came out in Muscle.

Oliva was rarely close to this condition in his career, which means that most pics circulated aren't good representations. Schwarzenegger sustained a higher level of excellent for longer and also benefitted from a better legacy of good photographs from photographers with Weider documenting his workouts for years in the early-mid 70s.

Whatever choice i make would just be personal preference. Notice the striking different in Schwarzenegger's tan from '72 to '73.

Thanks, Pumpy. And yes, I am asking about your personal preference. As I see it, both Arnold and Oliva were two very, very rare genetic specimens. Arnold had the misfortune of having the one bodybuilder in history who could defeat him alive and competing in bodybuilding at the same time that he was. Even though Arnold competed at 237 lbs and Oliva even lower than that, they look as big or bigger than modern bodybuilders due to their absurdly long and round muscle bellies. These two bodybuilders are regarded as the most perfect combination of size and shape even to this day. Some bodybuilders are bigger, while others are more aesthetic, but no bodybuilder is as big and shapely simultaneously as these two. What do you think? I would love to see these two going head to head today, with the size of today's bodybuilders, but I suspect that they would lose their overral aeshtetic with that mass. :)

SUCKMYMUSCLE