Author Topic: Aldi Rocks!  (Read 140007 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Aldi Rocks!
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »
WTF are you talking about?  It's a freakin' blender.

;D

Sorry, I was gonna stay out of this, but I'm stuck at home on call, and that was too funny not to acknowledge!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2013, 06:05:22 PM »
WTF are you talking about?  It's a freakin' blender.

BPAs are bad for you... blending warm/hot soup in shit quality plastics is a bad idea... i personally own a breville sous chef... 16 cup capacity and bpa free... and it could puree my shoes

________________________ ________________________ ________________

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bpa/AN01955

What is BPA, and what are the concerns about BPA?

BPA stands for bisphenol A. BPA is an industrial chemical that has been used to make certain plastics and resins since the 1960s.

BPA is found in polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins. Polycarbonate plastics are often used in containers that store food and beverages, such as water bottles. They may also be used in other consumer goods.

Epoxy resins are used to coat the inside of metal products, such as food cans, bottle tops and water supply lines. Some dental sealants and composites also may contain BPA.

Some research has shown that BPA can seep into food or beverages from containers that are made with BPA. Exposure to BPA is a concern because of possible health effects of BPA on the brain, behavior and prostate gland of fetuses, infants and children.

However, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has said that BPA is safe at the very low levels that occur in some foods. This assessment is based on review of hundreds of studies.

The FDA is continuing its review of BPA, including supporting ongoing research. In the meantime, if you're concerned about BPA, you can take these steps to reduce your exposure:

Seek out BPA-free products. More and more BPA-free products have come to market. Look for products labeled as BPA-free. If a product isn't labeled, keep in mind that some, but not all, plastics marked with recycle codes 3 or 7 may be made with BPA.
Cut back on cans. Reduce your use of canned foods since most cans are lined with BPA-containing resin.
Avoid heat. The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, part of the National Institutes of Health, advises against microwaving polycarbonate plastics or putting them in the dishwasher, because the plastic may break down over time and allow BPA to leach into foods.
Use alternatives. Use glass, porcelain or stainless steel containers for hot foods and liquids instead of plastic containers.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2013, 07:26:42 PM »
BPAs are bad for you... blending warm/hot soup in shit quality plastics is a bad idea... i personally own a breville sous chef... 16 cup capacity and bpa free... and it could puree my shoes

I'd much rather STICK the stick in the pot I'm cooking rather than dumping the works into another appliance and back to the pot.

Have you been drinking again
  ???

:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2013, 02:10:47 AM »

I'd much rather STICK the stick in the pot I'm cooking rather than dumping the works into another appliance and back to the pot.

Have you been drinking again
  ???

that works for some stuff (over boiled potatoes).... don't think it would do much for cabbage, turnips, kale or other cruciferous vegetables... i use mine to blend everything including cashews (to thicken the soup vegan style)... i also make my own almond butter, etc

and yes i drink on occasion, thank you for asking

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2013, 09:26:55 AM »

that works for some stuff (over boiled potatoes).... don't think it would do much for cabbage, turnips, kale or other cruciferous vegetables... i use mine to blend everything including cashews (to thicken the soup vegan style)... i also make my own almond butter, etc

and yes i drink on occasion, thank you for asking

An immersion blender is not intended to replace a food processor or even a good blender, BUT it comes in handy for smoothing out my curried butternut squash soup or roasted broccoli-cauliflour-spinach soup, or making sauces stove top.  It works great for burr mixing a cranberry sauce, or anything else where you want a variety of textures.  Of course a lot of people use it for making smoothies.  For $20 bucks, you can't go wrong Mr. Glass Half Empty.  :-*
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2013, 09:36:03 AM »
This thing is going to be on special next week.  It's the perfect size for a single person, or if you don't want to invest (yet) in a heavy duty food processor, or if you have frequent smaller tasks where you don't want to haul out the bigg-ass 12 cupper.  It would work great for making hummus, chopping herbs or chopping up small amounts of fruits/veggies, making salsa, etc.  It would also probably work for making nut butters.

:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2013, 09:40:40 AM »
You can never have too many of these, especially for $5

:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2013, 10:50:45 AM »

An immersion blender is not intended to replace a food processor or even a good blender, BUT it comes in handy for smoothing out my curried butternut squash soup or roasted broccoli-cauliflour-spinach soup, or making sauces stove top.  It works great for burr mixing a cranberry sauce, or anything else where you want a variety of textures.  Of course a lot of people use it for making smoothies.  For $20 bucks, you can't go wrong Mr. Glass Half Empty.  :-*

oic...

and i do not live "glass half empty"... to me there isn't a glass at all

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »

oic...

and i do not live "glass half empty"... to me there isn't a glass at all

You prefer it straight from the bottle huh?

:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2013, 11:22:29 AM »
You prefer it straight from the bottle huh?

i'd plug it in my veins if i thought i might survive................. ......................

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2013, 01:00:35 PM »
$2.99  limited

:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2014, 08:31:52 AM »
Meat special this week - organic grass feed ground beef $4.49/lb

Lots of other organic featured items.

Blueberries $1.29
:

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2014, 08:44:31 AM »
Meat special this week - organic grass feed ground beef $4.49/lb

Lots of other organic featured items.

Blueberries $1.29

finally stopped there,,yeah fit/healthy brand?all over there ,,good stuff yougurts,frozen foods are top notch..

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2014, 12:13:46 PM »
$2.99  limited

If you didn't snag a few of these around Christmas, they are/were back for a hot minute a week or so ago.  Your store might have a few left.  Grab 'em while you can, they're awesome.

Same with these

Apparently people haven't discovered the Manchego.  Usually $15/lb & up.  They've had 5oz wedges for $3.99 since Christmas on a special buy.  Doesn't seem to be selling ~ a shame cuz they probably won't bring it back  :-[
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2014, 12:19:17 PM »
Special buy this week.  $1.99 The Thai chili sauce is awesome.

This recipe is ALWAYS a hit!!

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/peanut-chicken-skewers-with-chili-mayonnaise-recipe-00000000024595/index.html

For the dipping sauce, I use the Greek yogurt with some of that Thai sweet/hot chili sauce mixed in.  People rave about it!

Once in awhile Aldi will have a special buy on dipping sauces.  I just opened a bottle the other day and used it.  It was AWESOME.  Had some great kick to it.

:

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »
manchego is awesome.  Not biased although my parents are from Spain and this is our cheese lol.  That is a great price and I bought some at Christmas.  It was good.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2014, 07:04:12 PM »
manchego is awesome.  Not biased although my parents are from Spain and this is our cheese lol.  That is a great price and I bought some at Christmas.  It was good.

What do you do with your Manchego?  I usually just have it as part of a fruit and cheese plate and pick off little nibbles with wine or grate it in place of Parmesan into recipes.
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2014, 08:41:26 AM »
What do you do with your Manchego?  I usually just have it as part of a fruit and cheese plate and pick off little nibbles with wine or grate it in place of Parmesan into recipes.

it pairs well with fruit and usually have it on my fruit/cheese tray.  great with figs or quince paste. stuffed olives or pequillo peppers.  I've grated it into mashed potatoes, tossed into salads, you can also add it to fondue.  If you have a Panini press, it makes for a good grilled cheese sandwich with some other cheese and a nice tomato bisque.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2014, 04:40:46 PM »
Might be a little late since these things were on special last week, so they might be out already, but Flank steak is $5.99/lb  Tenderloins also $5.99/lb  and Prosecco is $6.99 I think.  It's PERFECT for mimosas, bellinis or sangria ~ not dry, not sweet.

:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #169 on: July 15, 2014, 08:08:41 PM »
 Tyson
Fresh Bone-In Chicken Thighs
per lb.89¢

Fresh USDA Choice T-Bone Steak
per lb.$7.99*

2# $6.89

$5.99
Will not buy.  Will not buy.  Will not buy.  Will not buy.  Will not buy.  Will not buy.
Not gonna buy.  Nope.  Not gonna.
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: July 22, 2014, 05:30:08 PM »
$5.99
Will not buy.  Will not buy.  Will not buy.  Will not buy.  Will not buy.  Will not buy.
Not gonna buy.  Nope.  Not gonna.

So...how was it?  ;D

they also have their magic bullet back and a food dehydrator for cheap.  At least near me.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »

Special buy at Christmas.  Still lots on the shelves.  Very nice quality.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2015, 05:47:19 PM »

Now a regular item. 

Those bastards  >:(
 :D :P
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2015, 05:49:57 PM »

Currently a special buy.  YUMMMM

:

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »
I just bought a bag of their roasted macadamia nuts to try. I think I paid about $8 for the bag, which isn't a bad price - although, I noticed immediately upon opening the bag that there were several slightly overdone/burnt ones near the top.

Overall, they're not bad so far. After this bag is finished, I will probably buy a few more.