Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 425139 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1600 on: January 06, 2021, 03:04:12 PM »
I did nothing today.  Exhausted. Yesterday I was at work and a black guy who I learned later from the Ivory Coast got into a domestic with his wife. He was rag dolling her in parking lot shaking her. I tried to call 911 as I'm walking up on them. A taxi cab driver broke them up then he didn't want to get involved and took off. Then it was me pushing him back.  Maybe I'm getting old in my old age but my heart was racing. Would I have to throw down with him? Does he have a weapon?  Four cop cars showed up.  Since I walked off my retirement job my boss wasn't to thrilled I got involved. Forgot to mention they took turns holding a 2 year old during this. In the end the wife took the baby and ran into a Verizon store. He wanted to go into the store and I told him I wouldn't let him. 

Came home and my throat was killing me. What the fuck? A rotten day at work and now this. Do I have covid now?  I think running earlier on a trail in the woods exposed me to a lot of allergens like mold from wet leaves.  Woke up better. I was going to run today as I wanted to run 6 days out of the 7 day week being off from lifting. The wife told me I'm walking like an old man and I told her I was just stiff from the morning run. Tomorrow I'm running by the beach. No trees and wet leaves.  Hopefully I won't have the allergens there.

If I'm boring the hell out of you guys with this crap let me know. I will stop posting. I will get back to lifting probably next Monday.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Every brother ain't a brother.
« Reply #1601 on: January 06, 2021, 04:09:21 PM »
OT,
You had a major adrenaline rush dealing with that couple.
Fight or flight response.
On another matter...
Why do you overtrain yourself to the point of physical breakdown?
What is the point?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1602 on: January 06, 2021, 04:13:04 PM »
I did nothing today.  Exhausted. Yesterday I was at work and a black guy who I learned later from the Ivory Coast got into a domestic with his wife. He was rag dolling her in parking lot shaking her. I tried to call 911 as I'm walking up on them. A taxi cab driver broke them up then he didn't want to get involved and took off. Then it was me pushing him back.  Maybe I'm getting old in my old age but my heart was racing. Would I have to throw down with him? Does he have a weapon?  Four cop cars showed up.  Since I walked off my retirement job my boss wasn't to thrilled I got involved. Forgot to mention they took turns holding a 2 year old during this. In the end the wife took the baby and ran into a Verizon store. He wanted to go into the store and I told him I wouldn't let him. 

Came home and my throat was killing me. What the fuck? A rotten day at work and now this. Do I have covid now?  I think running earlier on a trail in the woods exposed me to a lot of allergens like mold from wet leaves.  Woke up better. I was going to run today as I wanted to run 6 days out of the 7 day week being off from lifting. The wife told me I'm walking like an old man and I told her I was just stiff from the morning run. Tomorrow I'm running by the beach. No trees and wet leaves.  Hopefully I won't have the allergens there.

If I'm boring the hell out of you guys with this crap let me know. I will stop posting. I will get back to lifting probably next Monday.

I know the feeling. I have allergies, sometimes my nose runs and my eyes water and other times I get a sore throat. Before Covid-19, I thought nothing of it. Since the pandemic began, every little thing like this has me wondering if it is Covid-19.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1603 on: January 06, 2021, 05:13:08 PM »
OT,
You had a major adrenaline rush dealing with that couple.
Fight or flight response.
On another matter...
Why do you overtrain yourself to the point of physical breakdown?
What is the point?

I'm taking a week off of lifting so I don't know what you are referring to? Many runners run 6 days a week.  I don't believe in the relaxing method of getting in shape. Having a good work ethic will take you far. Yes, I have injuries. The body is worn out. I have been training hard for 45 years. I think for strength and cardio I'm in the upper tier for my age.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1604 on: January 06, 2021, 05:35:57 PM »
I just got my monkey feet boot. For standing leg curls in my home gym I use to use an iron boot with a dumbbell attached. I stand on a block and it's an excellent method for a home gym. The problem I have is no matter what straps I use they slip on occasion and the boot goes flying off my foot. I have been using my seated leg curl machine but I have to admit I feel the standing one more if done correctly. 

I saw an advertisement for this contraption and it seemed like a modern improvement to the iron boot. There are other exercises you can do with it but I got it primarily  for standing leg curls. Here are the positives. It holds the dumbbell securely. I had no fear of it coming off. Once on your foot is in it seems like a secure connection. Never felt it would come off. Here are the negatives. I wear a small size 9 and I used my usual training shoes that are what they call a cross running shoe. I could barely fit my sneaker into the boot. I think a lot of people will find they have that problem. I actually found an old pair of dress shoes that fits in the boot that I will use with it. The second problem is that the ratchet system was hard to engage. Once connected though it held great. I feel it was worth the money.  If you keep the knee from swaying it's a fantastic leg curl variation.

There are other uses for the boot like leg extensions, high knee lift and kick backs that I might experiment with.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1605 on: January 14, 2021, 11:36:48 AM »
Monday I got back and chest in. Tuesday nothing but some heavy bag stuff. Wednesday was legs. Thursday was a fast walk outside for an hour and 15 minutes. Hope to get some long walks in. I feel I'll be too injury prone if I tried to do distance runs at the 190 something I am right now. I got delicate bird bones. Going to run again when I dip below 185lbs and even that's too heavy.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1606 on: January 14, 2021, 03:57:22 PM »
Today is a day off between the last two and the next two on. Seems like I am always taking days off. LOL. After yestday's routine, my right shoulder isn't a troubling as it has been. Maybe the key is to keep exercising it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1607 on: January 15, 2021, 06:44:48 AM »
Today is a day off between the last two and the next two on. Seems like I am always taking days off. LOL. After yestday's routine, my right shoulder isn't a troubling as it has been. Maybe the key is to keep exercising it.

Keep moving is the key.  Those that rest all the time start to rust.  On a side note I had a memory of a guy in da gym that used light weights and high reps. Great physique. I would shake my head watching him squat with 135lbs for his sets. He used light weights for everything. Short rests between sets. He looked amazing. Maybe not by steroid guy's standards but from a looking ripped and athletic viewpoint. Personally I would be embarrassed using such light weight but that speaks about my sensitive ego and not about the protocol that worked for him. That guy might be right on target. He was built like the now deceased editor of Muscle and Fitness Shawn Perine if I have his name spelled right. He was about 5'9" and 160lbs looking like an athlete.  Then again I wonder if Shawn was a user? Nearly impossible for a non user to get that ripped and dense even if he weighs a feather.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1608 on: January 15, 2021, 01:52:19 PM »
Keep moving is the key.  Those that rest all the time start to rust.  On a side note I had a memory of a guy in da gym that used light weights and high reps. Great physique. I would shake my head watching him squat with 135lbs for his sets. He used light weights for everything. Short rests between sets. He looked amazing. Maybe not by steroid guy's standards but from a looking ripped and athletic viewpoint. Personally I would be embarrassed using such light weight but that speaks about my sensitive ego and not about the protocol that worked for him. That guy might be right on target. He was built like the now deceased editor of Muscle and Fitness Shawn Perine if I have his name spelled right. He was about 5'9" and 160lbs looking like an athlete.  Then again I wonder if Shawn was a user? Nearly impossible for a non user to get that ripped and dense even if he weighs a feather.

No doubt there are some folks who manage to look ripped without using steroids. I'm much rather look like Shawn Perine than Sean Allan. 5'9" at 160 lbs. is leaner than I am. 5'10" @ 175 lbs. and Shawn is more muscular than me. Clothes often hang better on slim people. Since most of us wear clothes much of the time, it only makes sense to strive for being trim and fit.

I enjoy routines where the weights aren't overly heavy, the reps higher and with minimum rest between sets. My body thanks me for that too.

Using these XL3 Elite bands is challenging because I have no idea how to calculate the resistance in terms of how much weight I'm lifting for whichever exercise I am doing. There's probably some formula for that, but I'm okay with not knowing. Sometimes when you lift a lot of weight you  expect it to be a problem and so it is. It is self defeating.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1609 on: January 15, 2021, 06:47:45 PM »
Trained delts and arms today.  New addition were drag curls as in Vince's gym.  It's a much greater range of motion than conventional curls. It really limits the weight too.  If you look at the position the arms are in both curls with relation to gravity then I think Vince was on to something. Don't know if this will be a permanent addition but it really does make curls strict and again through a greater range of motion. At the top with conventional barbell curls there isn't much stress on the bicep. With drag curls the weight is there through the top contraction. Try it. Keep the bar as close your body as you can as you curl. I think you will feel the difference immediately.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1610 on: January 16, 2021, 03:03:26 PM »
Walked fast for 4.7 miles on my off lifting day.  It feels fantastic as an exercise. It's not exhausting and puts me in great sprits. I walk a very lightly used trail that use to be old rail road tracks from the 1920's or so.  They pulled the tracks out and put down cinder through the woods where . Great place to walk, run or use a mountain tired bike. It can be very isolated at spots so I carry protection.

One guy was speed walking too and we were going about the same speed so we started chatting. He said, "The women sure seemed frightened when they see me." I told him, " It's very isolated and to see a man without seeing another person for miles  is a little unsettling." He went on, "It's like they think I'm a serial killer or something. I could see you weren't scared."  I told him, " What are the odds of two serial killers being on the trail at the same time?"  He ran in the other direction. Some people are so sensitive.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1611 on: January 17, 2021, 09:59:48 AM »
Another 4.8 mile fast walk. Hit the bag after. Walking takes a long time and a sick amount of steps. Another week of this and I'm running again. I'm walking and thinking damn this is taking a long time. I saw a couple of people jog right past me and I was walking pretty fast. I think if you could do one exercise for the rest of your life this would be it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1612 on: January 18, 2021, 06:43:22 AM »
No doubt there are some folks who manage to look ripped without using steroids. I'm much rather look like Shawn Perine than Sean Allan. 5'9" at 160 lbs. is leaner than I am. 5'10" @ 175 lbs. and Shawn is more muscular than me. Clothes often hang better on slim people. Since most of us wear clothes much of the time, it only makes sense to strive for being trim and fit.

I enjoy routines where the weights aren't overly heavy, the reps higher and with minimum rest between sets. My body thanks me for that too.

Using these XL3 Elite bands is challenging because I have no idea how to calculate the resistance in terms of how much weight I'm lifting for whichever exercise I am doing. There's probably some formula for that, but I'm okay with not knowing. Sometimes when you lift a lot of weight you  expect it to be a problem and so it is. It is self defeating.

Don't worry about the actual numbers of the resistance bands. They vary according to the stretch.  I remember working out in a gym in the early 80's.  The gym owner had all the pound numbers off the machines. He numbered them 1,2,3,4 etc where you placed the pin.  He felt that it was important not to pursue some weight number.

Pounds vary from machine to machine according to pulleys and leverage points. In the commercial gym I work in the standing calf machine is super hard for me at 180lbs. where I push the pin in.  In my home gym I have two standing calf machines. One I use over 300lbs and the other is super hard at 160lbs. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1613 on: January 18, 2021, 10:45:08 AM »
Don't worry about the actual numbers of the resistance bands. They vary according to the stretch.  I remember working out in a gym in the early 80's.  The gym owner had all the pound numbers off the machines. He numbered them 1,2,3,4 etc where you placed the pin.  He felt that it was important not to pursue some weight number.

Pounds vary from machine to machine according to pulleys and leverage points. In the commercial gym I work in the standing calf machine is super hard for me at 180lbs. where I push the pin in.  In my home gym I have two standing calf machines. One I use over 300lbs and the other is super hard at 160lbs.

I've had the same experience with standing calf machines at various gyms. On some I can use a couple hundred pounds and on some others 60 lbs and I have trouble.

I get that the resistance on straps or bands increases with the amount of stretch. It is an interesting concept. So far, I am noticing some positive results from using these bands. I am still using the thinnest one in the set of 4 sizes. Since it is recommended to go to failure, when the number of reps before that happens gets too high, I jump up to the next size band.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1614 on: January 18, 2021, 11:24:36 AM »
I've had the same experience with standing calf machines at various gyms. On some I can use a couple hundred pounds and on some others 60 lbs and I have trouble.

I get that the resistance on straps or bands increases with the amount of stretch. It is an interesting concept. So far, I am noticing some positive results from using these bands. I am still using the thinnest one in the set of 4 sizes. Since it is recommended to go to failure, when the number of reps before that happens gets too high, I jump up to the next size band.
They only give you four bands?  I thought for the price of that thing they would have given many more.  I guess you can use two at a time too?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1615 on: January 18, 2021, 05:06:01 PM »
They only give you four bands?  I thought for the price of that thing they would have given many more.  I guess you can use two at a time too?

Doubling up is a real possibility for someone. It will probably take me the rest of my life just to work the the four of them. Some exercises call for doubling the one band and with others like curls and squats you use it as one. Squats will probably be the first exercise where I will use a heavier band. These bands are substantial. They are definitely not as flimsy as the ones you usually see folks working out with.

The entire kit consists of the 4 bands, a floor plate to stand on and to thread bands under and a heavyweight aluminium bar with hooks attached at each end to thread the bands through. He should add individual handle grips for variety. As a equipment owner, I think you have free access to all his written literature too....for whatever that's worth.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1616 on: January 18, 2021, 05:47:14 PM »
 I trained chest and bicep Yates style.

Incline Dumbbell press 1 x 9
Decline dumbbell press 1 x 10
Weighted dips 1 x 8
Push ups 1 x max

Alternate dumbbell curls 1 x 10
Drag barbell curls 1 x 13
Dumbbell curls drag style 1 x 12
concentration curls 1 x 13

wrist curls 1 x 25
wrist extensions 1 x 20

ab wheel roll out 1 x 25
pulley crunches 1 x 40

After lifting I walked fast for 4.8 miles.  Really enjoying these trail walks. An incredible mood elevator.  I will do these long walks for another week then slow running will be brought in.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1617 on: January 19, 2021, 05:44:42 AM »
I trained chest and bicep Yates style.

Incline Dumbbell press 1 x 9
Decline dumbbell press 1 x 10
Weighted dips 1 x 8
Push ups 1 x max

Alternate dumbbell curls 1 x 10
Drag barbell curls 1 x 13
Dumbbell curls drag style 1 x 12
concentration curls 1 x 13

wrist curls 1 x 25
wrist extensions 1 x 20

ab wheel roll out 1 x 25
pulley crunches 1 x 40

After lifting I walked fast for 4.8 miles.  Really enjoying these trail walks. An incredible mood elevator.  I will do these long walks for another week then slow running will be brought in.
how many warm up sets/light do you do before the heavy set /failure one?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1618 on: January 19, 2021, 06:21:17 PM »
how many warm up sets/light do you do before the heavy set /failure one?

Depends on the exercise.  Many times for a body part the first exercise I use needs a warm up then the subsequent exercises doesn't need it. Below is today's work out. I admit I would be better off with more warm ups. I do the minimum I can so I can really hit the real work set. Warm us should be easy and non taxing. I know Yates was criticized for for not calling counting his warm up sets but they were non taxing. He did something like this for his inclines. Set one: 1 x 8  135. Set two: 1 x 8 225. Set three: 1 x 6 315lbs.  Then the real set was  1 x 8 with 415lbs. Even Yates said on tape that sometimes when he gets to exercise two or three for a body part no warm up is needed.

Leg press 1 x 13 (two prior warm up sets. One warm up set to 12 and the second warm up with increased weight is one set of 8
Dumbbell squats 1 x 12 ( no warm ups sets. I'm sweating and breathing like a race horse after that one set to failure leg press.
Stiff dead lift 1 x 8 (One set of six for a warm up with a lighter weight.)
Leg extension 2 x 23 ( No warm up)
Standing leg curl 1 x 15 (No warm up set)

Single dumbbell side bend 1 x 18
Hanging straight leg raise 1 x 25
Hip ups off the floor 1 x 25

Standing calf 1 x 20 ( no warm up)
Seated calf 1 x 19 (No warm up

Neck one set of each side (One warm up set for around 8 reps. The one work set per side is around 20 reps with increased weight.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1619 on: January 20, 2021, 11:23:40 AM »
Should be a cardio day for me but yesterday I got my second covid shot. I have chills, fever and aching bones.  They say that's your body ramping up anti bodies so it's a good thing.  I had no reaction to the first shot. They say this should only last a day or two.  My sister in law died today too.  She was always in my life and like a real sister to me.  I'm on the couch just feeling like crap.  At least my grand daughter is coming over with her puppy.  It's always a tornado of love when she comes over.  First thing she will do I bet will be  grabbing her stuffed bear that's bigger than me. Got it at Costco. It's gigantic.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #1620 on: January 20, 2021, 04:10:04 PM »

I think that physique is attainable naturally. To stay that lean without drugs, you need a good diet and cardio program; also need many consistent years of lifting under your belt. There are thousands of Ironman contestants that look like that.

A lot is genetics too, some people just gain weight easier than others. My brother is almost 50, has not lifted a weight or exercised in 20 years and has a six pack. He's not ripped, but he is lean. Also drinks a lot and eats anything.

One of my best friends competes in Triathlons all the time. He's about 170 pounds and ripped. Not a chance he's on anything. He doesn't even lift weights, just swims a lot.

IME being lean is about 75% diet and 25% activity level. Most American's eat way too much and overeat on carbs/sugars. Another friend of my is from Vietnam and is a vegetarian, he looks like Bruce Lee, no joke. Super lean and decent mass. He works out a lot and is very active. Owns a small Autoshop and is always running around. His two brothers are also very lean and don't lift weights, but play a lot of golf. They always call me fat. ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1621 on: January 21, 2021, 08:10:52 AM »
I think that physique is attainable naturally. To stay that lean without drugs, you need a good diet and cardio program; also need many consistent years of lifting under your belt. There are thousands of Ironman contestants that look like that.

A lot is genetics too, some people just gain weight easier than others. My brother is almost 50, has not lifted a weight or exercised in 20 years and has a six pack. He's not ripped, but he is lean. Also drinks a lot and eats anything.

One of my best friends competes in Triathlons all the time. He's about 170 pounds and ripped. Not a chance he's on anything. He doesn't even lift weights, just swims a lot.

IME being lean is about 75% diet and 25% activity level. Most American's eat way too much and overeat on carbs/sugars. Another friend of my is from Vietnam and is a vegetarian, he looks like Bruce Lee, no joke. Super lean and decent mass. He works out a lot and is very active. Owns a small Autoshop and is always running around. His two brothers are also very lean and don't lift weights, but play a lot of golf. They always call me fat. ;D

The overwhelming amount of ironman contestants look no where near Shawn.  Here's a picture of last year's winner. He looks amazing but no where near the physique of Shawn.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1622 on: January 21, 2021, 05:25:47 PM »
Today was another scheduled workout day I never did. I'm still suffering from my second covid shot. It's no joke. The fever and chills were terrible.  The bones in my hand were aching like a bad virus bone pain. I got the shot Tuesday. Wednesday I was sick as a dog. Today, Thursday the fever broke but I feel like I was hit by a bus tired. My wife also got the shot Tuesday and didn't have nearly the same reaction. She was a little under the weather the day after and fine today. No clue why it hit me so hard? Slept 10 hours yesterday and my normal is 6. Hopefully tomorrow I will be back on track with training. My daughter told me my reaction is actually a good thing. It means my body is making anti bodies thinking I have covid. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1623 on: January 22, 2021, 12:14:15 AM »
Today was another scheduled workout day I never did. I'm still suffering from my second covid shot. It's no joke. The fever and chills were terrible.  The bones in my hand were aching like a bad virus bone pain. I got the shot Tuesday. Wednesday I was sick as a dog. Today, Thursday the fever broke but I feel like I was hit by a bus tired. My wife also got the shot Tuesday and didn't have nearly the same reaction. She was a little under the weather the day after and fine today. No clue why it hit me so hard? Slept 10 hours yesterday and my normal is 6. Hopefully tomorrow I will be back on track with training. My daughter told me my reaction is actually a good thing. It means my body is making anti bodies thinking I have covid.

Thanks for the information about the vaccine. I think I will run right out and get it tomorrow....oh wait, it isn't available yet here in Oregon, even for old folks like me.

Like you say, hopefully you'll be back to your old self in short order. Knowing you, missing a day of training must be killing you....of course it won't.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1624 on: January 22, 2021, 12:22:37 AM »
Should be a cardio day for me but yesterday I got my second covid shot. I have chills, fever and aching bones.  They say that's your body ramping up anti bodies so it's a good thing.  I had no reaction to the first shot. They say this should only last a day or two.  My sister in law died today too.  She was always in my life and like a real sister to me.  I'm on the couch just feeling like crap.  At least my grand daughter is coming over with her puppy.  It's always a tornado of love when she comes over.  First thing she will do I bet will be  grabbing her stuffed bear that's bigger than me. Got it at Costco. It's gigantic.

Hope you feel better soon.  Very, very sorry to hear about your sister in law.  Condolences.