Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 422008 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1650 on: February 05, 2021, 04:57:32 PM »
Delt and triceps:

Dumbbell delt presses standing: 1 x 11 ( all the way down as far as I could take it.)
Dumbbell delt laterals 1 x 15 (thumbs up to ease impingement.)
Dumbbell rear delt laterals 1 x 14
Face pulls 1 x 16 (Only started doing these less than a year ago.  Fantastic rear delt upper back movement)
Barbell shrugs 1 x 13 ( I try to go all the way up and slow on the down stroke.)

Single dumbbell two hands seated tricep extension 1 x 14 (because of arthritis I can't fully bend my arms but I go pretty low)
Rope push downs 1 x 17
Reverse grip D ring tricep extensions 1 x 13
Single arm dumbbell behind the head tricep extension 1 x 13 (I keep my elbow straight up.)

Weighted crunches 1 x 50
Pulley crunches 1 x 35

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1651 on: February 07, 2021, 11:15:00 AM »
Ran slow for two miles on a treadmill. After the two rounds I ran 3 x 220 yard strides. I can't even call them sprints they were so slow. Suffering from asthma and allergies. I think all the wet leaves and wind is making it hard to breathe for me.  Getting pissed at the weather here in NJ with the snow and rain.  I can't stand running on a treadmill anymore. Hit the bag for two rounds.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1652 on: February 07, 2021, 12:20:33 PM »
Ran slow for two miles on a treadmill. After the two rounds I ran 3 x 220 yard strides. I can't even call them sprints they were so slow. Suffering from asthma and allergies. I think all the wet leaves and wind is making it hard to breathe for me.  Getting pissed at the weather here in NJ with the snow and rain.  I can't stand running on a treadmill anymore. Hit the bag for two rounds.

Have you had ongoing problems with allergies and asthma or is this just something recent?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1653 on: February 07, 2021, 04:00:49 PM »
Have you had ongoing problems with allergies and asthma or is this just something recent?

Always had allergy problems. Mold makes it hard to breeze. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1654 on: February 07, 2021, 11:05:30 PM »
Always had allergy problems. Mold makes it hard to breeze.

Is there mold in your house or do you just mean in the atmosphere around you?  There are discoveries about mold in our environment and the negative health effects every day.  The college where my wife worked, condemned several new buildings until they underwent mold abatement. Older construction, didn't seem to be as much of a problem.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1655 on: February 08, 2021, 06:24:36 PM »
Is there mold in your house or do you just mean in the atmosphere around you?  There are discoveries about mold in our environment and the negative health effects every day.  The college where my wife worked, condemned several new buildings until they underwent mold abatement. Older construction, didn't seem to be as much of a problem.

Zero mold in my house. The house is fairly new. There are wet moldy leaves everywhere. The dog also loves leaves and likes to sit by me after he walks through them when he goes outside. So atmospheric mold blowing around from the leaves.

Another possibility is I'm coming down with pneumonia again.  I was hospitalizes a few short years ago with bacterial pneumonia. I had a horrible fever before my lungs went. I don't have the fever but I recognized how I felt.

Enough about my stuff. There are people with serious illness out there.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1656 on: February 08, 2021, 06:36:35 PM »
Chest and bicep day: Still doing the Yates one main work set to failure.

Incline Dumbbell bench 1 x 10  70lbs(All the way down. No half reps. Slow and controlled movement to failure. Problem shoulders are holding up as long as I don't do anything stupid)
Decline dumbbell bench 1 x 9 65lbs
Weighted dips 1 x 8 25lbs (Used to much weight. Wish I failed at around 10 reps. Went deep)
Push ups 1 set of max reps ( I try to tap my chest on the ground each rep to make sure I go all the way down)

EZ curl 1 x 14 90lbs
Alternate dumbbell curl 1 x 10 45lbs
drag curls 1 x 15 65lbs
concentration curl 1 x 13

wrist curls 1 x 30 95lbs
reverse wrist extensions 1 x 20

Ab wheel roll out 1 x 26
Pulley crunches 1 x 35

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1657 on: February 09, 2021, 10:08:17 AM »
Leg day before work. 
Leg press 1 x 13
Machine squats 1x 10
Dumbbell squats 1x 13
Stiff dead 1x 8
Leg extension 1x 20
Standing leg curl 1x 10 (Used Monkey feet standing on a block)

Side bend with a single dumbbell 1 x15
Hanging straight leg raise 1x 25
Hip ups off the floor 1x30

Standing calf 1x18
Seated calf 1x 15

Neck work: one set a side. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1658 on: February 11, 2021, 08:08:21 PM »
Back day: Upped the weight in almost everything today for back day. Hopefully this will be that last week of the one set to failure stuff. I'm getting that dreading the workout feeling again. Especially on leg day and the deadlift part of the back workout. Might give myself a break from lifting  and emphasize running for awhile. 

M.A.G bar pulldowns 1 x 10 150lbs (No lean back and heave. Stayed fairly upright and touched the top of the chest area each rep)
Seated cable rows 1 x 12 190lbs (all the way out and back)
Dumbbell row off a bench 1 x 12 85lbs (dead hang and all the way up. Had one knee on a bench)
reverse grip pulldown 1 x 10
deadlift 1 x 6 315lbs  (pulled from the floor with slow negative reps)
Weighted lower back hyperextensions 1 x15 35lbs plate behind the head

ab wheel roll out 1 x27 (great ab exercise but I wonder if it's good for the shoulder? Plenty of torque on the shoulder with this)
pulley crunch 1 x 35 ( I sit on a lat machine backwards. I use a V bar behind my head and crunch down. Done properly you really feel in the abs)

Gym Observations: My wife never ventures into the basement.  I don't think she has been down there in two plus years. I could be banging six hoes down there and she would never know.  Even when I do Olympic lifts and sometimes fail with a crash she will say when I come up, "I heard a loud crash. Are you alright?"  Never occurs to her to come down and check my welfare.  I sometimes think I will have a heart attack and be down there for four hours and my wife a would never have a clue that I'm down there for a ridiculous amount of time for a workout. Don't get me wrong my wife is sick smart but if I rely on her for my welfare with a gym accident she isn't the one I could count on. I now go into the basement gym with my phone. Hopefully I will be able to crawl to it before the lights go out from a heart attack.   ;D

I have to get away from deadlifts for awhile and return to power cleans.  I think my back and mind need a break from them. I don't know how guys that deadlift don't have ruined backs. It seems the majority jerk the bar off the floor to start the lift.  I guess that's great for heavier weights but it has to be horrible for the back.

Got around 5 inches of snow today.  It was a good warm up prior to lifting cleaning the cars, shoveling and using a snow blower.

Lifted with a slight hang over. Wife does weight watchers. Not exactly sure what's up with that program but apparently they assign point values to food. If you starve yourself enough you have points left over for the week.  She wanted it to use for cocktails so I joined her watching netflix binging yesterday. Didn't feel so hot when I woke up today.

We have a reservation for Valentines day Sunday at an authentic family owned Italian restaurant. Going to dress nice in my wise guy best so I will fit in if there are any Soprano types in there.  My wife is a blonde Italian. I jokingly call her Carmela in the place.   

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1659 on: February 12, 2021, 02:15:52 PM »
Delt and tricep day:

Standing dumbbell press 1 x 11 50lbs (Slow and all the way down. If I did upper arms parallel to the ground half reps seated I could have used a lot more weight especially with the ass slid out a bit to make it an incline press.)
Dumbbell delt laterals 1 x 17 25lbs
Rear delt dumbbell laterals 1 x 14 35lbs
Face pulls 1 x 17 85lbs
Barbell shrugs 1 x 15 250lbs ( I'm careful to use careful form with this. So many guys crunch nerves in their neck using ridiculous weights with sloppy form with shrugs. I try to smoothly go up and and a controlled down. My wife suffers from stenosis in her neck vertebrate and the nerve pain is excruciating in her arm.  The doc said the pain is actually in the neck but because the nerves are being crunched she feels the pain in her arm.  Nothing is wrong with her arm. The MRI clearly show how the nerves are being crunched in her neck. Nerves can be a problem for so many. A good lifter down the block from me has nerve pain and he has one arm that deteriorated from it. )

Ex bar seated extensions 1 x 10 85lbs
Rope tricep 1 x 14
Reverse D handle tricep extension with one arm 1 x 12
Single dumbbell tricep extension behind the head 1 x 13 (kept elbow pointed high. Many let the elbow drift down to handle a heavy dumbbell)

Weighted crunch with lying with legs on a bench 1 x 50
Weighted pulley crunches 1 x 40 (playing with different weights. A lighter weight can lead to great form but a heavier weight also feels good at times. It's such a short range of motion that it has to be done right.)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #1660 on: February 12, 2021, 02:32:36 PM »

We have a reservation for Valentines day Sunday at an authentic family owned Italian restaurant. Going to dress nice in my wise guy best so I will fit in if there are any Soprano types in there.  My wife is a blonde Italian. I jokingly call her Carmela in the place.   

Don't piss off the little guy...he's crazy.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1661 on: February 12, 2021, 02:39:49 PM »
He lived near me by the beach for awhile. The restaurant we are going to on Sunday we saw him there. My wife told me that's Joe Pesci eating over there. I dismissed her thinking what would he be doing here? Then I later learned he lived in Lavalette, a shore town near me in NJ.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1662 on: February 16, 2021, 04:52:30 PM »
Monday was dud of a workout. I did 3 x 3 reps of power cleans and I called it a day. I was a bit hung over from Sunday's Valentine's dinner. We had a few at the restaurant and then some more at home. I asked the waiter about Joe Pesci and he told me he is a regular. He likes to bring his dates there. The waiter said he would get annoyed when Joe went to the bathroom and asked him to keep his girl company till he got back. The waiter said, "I have work to do."

Tuesday was a back and chest day prior to work. To all the guys that lift hard prior to work I salute you. It's tough. Better than waiting till the end of the work day. When I get off of work my day is now done:

Pulldowns 2 x 10
Seated cable rows 2 x 12
Dumbbell row with knee on bench 2 x 10
Reverse grip pulldowns 2  x10

Flat dumbbell bench 2 x 8
Decline dumbbell bench 2 x 8
Weighted dips 2 x 10
Push ups 2 x max

deadlifts 2 x 4
weighted back hyper extensions 2 x 15

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 22
Pulley crunches 1 x 40
seated knee ins 1 x 25

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1663 on: February 17, 2021, 05:52:09 PM »
Wednesday: Ran 2.5 miles by the beach at a slug pace. It was 29 and the wind was blowing.  Came home and did my usual after cardio heavy bag work. Did some shadow boxing too.  Didn't lose a match. The shadows were real punks.  One thing about winter running is it fills up the washing machine. Summer running is shorts and socks. I was dressed like muckaluck of the north running by the ocean today. I hope to get back in good cardio shape.  No Achilles pain. Clicking on all cylinders running except for endurance. That could be improved as long as injuries stay away.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1664 on: February 18, 2021, 07:08:13 PM »
Leg day Thursday:  No warm ups shown.

Leg press 2 x 12
Squat machine 2  x10 (pretty much given up on the barbell squat. This gets the job done.)
Dumbbell squats 1 x 12
Stiff dead off a block 2 x 6
Leg extension 2 x 20
Leg curl seated 2 x 15 (still trying to decide which is better. Standing or seated are the only two options I have in my home gym. Both have their positives)

Single dumbbell side bend 1 x 15
Hanging leg raise 2 x 22
Hip ups 1 x 30

Standing calf 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15
tibilalis work 1 x 20

Neck: one set per side.

We had a snow/slush snow fall today.  After legs I got my snow blower out. It kept getting jammed with ice. It's about 20 years old.  It just can't handle ice. It jams up the machine. I turned it off and there is no neutral. Pushing it has to wind the motor so it's like pushing an exercise sled. It was so hard to push into the garage. I pulled out the old shovel and did it the old fashion way. Now I was shot.  I look at my car in the driveway and it has a flat tire. A nail went through it. Changing a tire in the ice slush was a bitch. Felt like a  stock car pit I was moving so fast. Came in soaked from the freezing rain that was now coming down. Watched a movie and when I got up I was walking like Frankenstein. Hope I'm able to get some treadmill time in prior to work tomorrow. Getting too old for this shit. I need a new hobby. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1665 on: February 19, 2021, 04:12:35 AM »
Bad things happen in three's.

Wait for it...

monsterman500

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1666 on: February 19, 2021, 07:51:39 AM »
Leg day Thursday:  No warm ups shown.

Leg press 2 x 12
Squat machine 2  x10 (pretty much given up on the barbell squat. This gets the job done.)
Dumbbell squats 1 x 12
Stiff dead off a block 2 x 6
Leg extension 2 x 20
Leg curl seated 2 x 15 (still trying to decide which is better. Standing or seated are the only two options I have in my home gym. Both have their positives)

Single dumbbell side bend 1 x 15
Hanging leg raise 2 x 22
Hip ups 1 x 30

Standing calf 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15
tibilalis work 1 x 20

Neck: one set per side.

We had a snow/slush snow fall today.  After legs I got my snow blower out. It kept getting jammed with ice. It's about 20 years old.  It just can't handle ice. It jams up the machine. I turned it off and there is no neutral. Pushing it has to wind the motor so it's like pushing an exercise sled. It was so hard to push into the garage. I pulled out the old shovel and did it the old fashion way. Now I was shot.  I look at my car in the driveway and it has a flat tire. A nail went through it. Changing a tire in the ice slush was a bitch. Felt like a  stock car pit I was moving so fast. Came in soaked from the freezing rain that was now coming down. Watched a movie and when I got up I was walking like Frankenstein. Hope I'm able to get some treadmill time in prior to work tomorrow. Getting too old for this shit. I need a new hobby.
Why bother? what will one set do?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1667 on: February 19, 2021, 09:40:30 AM »
It does a lot.  Strong blood supply to the neck. One set of 25 neck curls.  One set of neck extensions for 20 reps.  One set each for each side of the neck for set of 15 reps.  Some would count that as four sets for neck.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1668 on: February 20, 2021, 10:08:57 AM »
Delt and arms:

Military press 2 x 8 (cleaned from the floor)
Delt dumbbell laterals 2 x 12
Delt rear dumbbell laterals 2 x 10
Face pulls 2 x 12
barbell shrugs 2 x 10

Weighted dips 2 x 8
Tricep push downs 2 x 10
Single dumbbell with two hands behind the head tricep extensions 2 x 12

Alternate dumbbell curl 2 x 8
Drag barbell curls 2 x 12
Single dumbbell scott curls 2 x 10

wrist curls 2 x 25
wrist extensions 2 x 15

Weighted crunches 1 x 60
Pulley crunches 1 x50

Drank a Fairlife bottle of protein. Can't believe in that 11.5 OZ bottle it has 30G of whey isolate with truly no lactose.  There is no regulation of supplements and supplement companies can say what ever they want.  Drank enough protein shakes saying no lactose and my lactose sensitive stomach says they are liars.  This one is truly is lactose free. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1669 on: February 22, 2021, 04:30:53 PM »
This Monday I woke really early  before work.  Went down in the basement for a cardio day and got on that hamster wheel treadmill. Did about a quarter mile and said fuck it. Just not feeling it. I really enjoy running outside. Being in a basement on that thing sometimes feels like torture. This whole week supposed to be above freezing. I have to get out there soon.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1670 on: February 23, 2021, 10:49:52 AM »
Back and chest:

M.A.G supinate bar pull downs 2x10
Seated cable lat rows 2x12
Dumbbells row with knee on bench 2x10
Reverse grip pull down 2x10

Dumbbell incline press 2x 8
Decline dumbbell chest press 2x8
Weighted dips 2 x 10
Push ups 2x max

Deadlift 2x4
Weighted hyper extension 2 x 15

Ab wheel roll out 2x22
Pulley crunches 1x 50

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1671 on: February 24, 2021, 07:53:12 PM »
Ran one lousy mile today for cardio. Don't know why I'm so out of breath lately. Maybe I'm just out of cardio shape. Still after all these years trying to figure out how to combine cardio and lifting. When I was working full time it was easier. I would go out for a run with a bunch of the guys at lunch. It was encouraged.  Then after work I would lift. It was a good system. Now maybe with age I just can't do two a days anymore. I thought makes me ill. I want to do one workout whether cardio or lifting and be done with it. I only work two days a week being retired and I found lifting prior to work by waking up early works for me. Running is something I really have a problem with early in the morning. Too stiff with age and it's too dark out with winter being here. The trail is impossible to navigate in the dark.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1672 on: February 25, 2021, 04:03:51 AM »
Ran one lousy mile today for cardio. Don't know why I'm so out of breath lately. Maybe I'm just out of cardio shape. Still after all these years trying to figure out how to combine cardio and lifting. When I was working full time it was easier. I would go out for a run with a bunch of the guys at lunch. It was encouraged.  Then after work I would lift. It was a good system. Now maybe with age I just can't do two a days anymore. I thought makes me ill. I want to do one workout whether cardio or lifting and be done with it. I only work two days a week being retired and I found lifting prior to work by waking up early works for me. Running is something I really have a problem with early in the morning. Too stiff with age and it's too dark out with winter being here. The trail is impossible to navigate in the dark.

Somehow you are over-training and not recovering.

Are you frequently training to failure and thus making constant inroads into your ability to recover?

That could be it.  You have to figure it out.

Be objective and analyze your training program. 

Take the emotion and pride out of your analysis.

It's irrelevant what you did when you were in your 20s, 30s and 40s.  It makes for good fireside conversation but that's all.

In my 20s I was squatting, deadlifting and pressing very heavy once a week.  I was barely able to recover by the next workout then.

I've got video of me still killing it in my 40s.

I'd be delusional to think I could do that now at 62.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1673 on: February 25, 2021, 11:32:28 AM »
Somehow you are over-training and not recovering.

Are you frequently training to failure and thus making constant inroads into your ability to recover?

That could be it.  You have to figure it out.

Be objective and analyze your training program. 

Take the emotion and pride out of your analysis.

It's irrelevant what you did when you were in your 20s, 30s and 40s.  It makes for good fireside conversation but that's all.

In my 20s I was squatting, deadlifting and pressing very heavy once a week.  I was barely able to recover by the next workout then.

I've got video of me still killing it in my 40s.

I'd be delusional to think I could do that now at 62.

True I don't take it easy when I train. I do think I'm having some success with my methods considering my age. I don't want to egotistically say I'm in shape for my age but I do get compliments frequently. I'm sure the steroid users would laugh at my body but like I said I'm not a bodybuilder and I don't even use hormone replacement. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1674 on: February 25, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
Leg day!  I was dreading this workout.  Got it done. Didn't list warm ups only the work sets to near failure and failure.

Leg press 2 x 12 four plates a side. Fully bent my legs like an ass to grass squat.  No quarter presses. No half presses. No high back board so my knees will hit my body before my legs are bent.
Squat machine 2 x 10 two plates a side. I go as low as my body can go. I can't get an lower.
Dumbbell squats 1 x 12 80lbs. Dumbbells held at sides with straps. Upright back and the dumbbells aren't deadlifted. I go down slow and control till my ass can't get any lower.
Stiff dead lift 2 x 6 205lbs. Brush the bar on the top of my feet while standing on a block.

Single dumbbell side bend 1 x 15 90lbs
Hanging straight leg raise 2 x 22
Hip ups 1 x 30 (On back an I push the hips up toward the ceiling.)

Standing calf 2 x 15 (Recently upped the weight on this by 15lbs. Had Achilles problem for about a year and it seems to be finally good.
Seated calf 2 x 15 (Weird but some guys can put a million pounds on these things and I watch Cutler only use two plates a side.  I think it's one of these exercises that with a limited range  guys can pack on the plates. Like Cutler if you use good form you won't be able to load the machine up like your Mike Bridges.
Tibalis work 1 x 20

Neck work: One set per side. One set of neck curls 1 x 25, One set of neck extensions 1 x 20; then it's one set for each side for 1 x 15.  The neck is really pumped up after this with the good blood flow to the neck muscles. I finish off with isometrics with my hands and even some manual head twists using my hands for resistance.  For a very small framed guy I think I have a muscular neck though I'm getting old quick.  ;D  A skinny neck no matter what your development makes you look wimpy.  Same with a fat neck and face.  I also believe neck work contributes to looking better facially but factually I have no proof for my belief.  Just a flabby looking face always seems to go with bad neck.