Author Topic: Kobe Bryant To Leave NBA and play in Europe (a possibility)  (Read 4580 times)

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
Kobe Bryant To Leave NBA and play in Europe (a possibility)
« on: August 10, 2008, 07:03:43 AM »
www.dweetir.com

BEIJING – Kobe Bryant won’t sign a contract extension with the Los Angeles Lakers until he has tested the global market, the U.S. Olympic basketball star told Yahoo! Sports on Saturday.

Asked whether he plans to solicit overseas offers before signing an extension, Bryant flatly said yes.

It’s possible Bryant could leave the NBA for Europe – perhaps in a dual role of owner and player – as early as next summer. Bryant is signed with the Lakers through the 2010-11 season, but can opt out after next season.

Suddenly, the best player in the world seems determined to pair the changing global economics with his unparalleled popularity to create an international bidding war. A day earlier, Bryant told the Boston Globe that he would consider a $50 million offer to play in Europe.

“As players, the business of the game (is) evolving,” Bryant said before a Team USA practice at Beijing Normal University. “I think free agency now is becoming a global thing …. When players become free agents, the team they’re currently with – their competition is no longer the rest of the teams in the NBA. But it’s global. So, the market’s opened up. So we’ll just have to see how the league responds to it.”

Bryant spent several years of his childhood in Italy and loves it there. Seven years ago, he bought an ownership stake in Olimpia Milano of the Italian league for his father Joe to run. When Bryant was asked whether he held intrigue with owning and playing on a team together, he said, “Absolutely.”

Some basketball executives believe Bryant’s ultimate ambition might be to have a majority ownership with a powerhouse Italian team while serving as its superstar. What’s more, Bryant, 29, insists that it wouldn’t be such a leap of faith for him to leave the NBA.

“I think people kind of make it out to be a little more than what it is,” he said.

With the Lakers’ resurgence and Bryant having won his first most valuable player award last season, it was believed that he would sign a long-term, maximum contract without pursuing unrestricted free agency. Now, Bryant is suggesting that the possibility of a monumental European offer – perhaps paired with ownership – has armed him with fresh leverage.

This summer, the movement of players to Europe – as well as a belief that several European teams are gearing up to lure NBA superstars with contracts worth $30- to $40 million annually – has made him believe that this could be an option for him. Josh Childress of the Atlanta Hawks signed a three-year, $20 million deal with Olympiakos of Greece. Several other good NBA players, including Carlos Delfino and Juan Carlos Navarro, left the NBA for multi-million dollar European offers.

“Childress, Delfino, and all these other offers start coming up and all of a sudden you start hearing the talk circulating from teams over there and what they’re willing to do,” Bryant said. “As athletes, you have to listen to that. That’s the least you can do.”

Even so, Bryant conceded that it would be “Almost impossible … very difficult …” to leave the Lakers, who are primed to make a run at multiple championships over the next several years.

“But,” he said cryptically, “it is what it is.”

www.dweetir.com

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Re: Kobe Bryant To Leave NBA and play in Europe (a possibility)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 07:13:56 AM »
Absolutely, no salary cap in Europe, he can get $50M per year, seems to be the cool thing, in Oz the European teams take the Good aussie players and pay them triple to play against guys 10 kgs lighter.

TPSRPBBW-fan1

• Getbig II
  • Liberal is not a bad word
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 08:45:42 AM »
if i was kobe* and i was offered 50 mil a year, i'd take it.

*if Kobe is only in it for the money and has no wish to help out the lakers

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 08:48:42 AM »
50 million?  I'd guess he *could* get $100 million with the right marketing deal in place.  he's the biggest star in sports not named Tiger.

He grew up in Italy (?) with his dad being Jelly Bean Bryant, a pro Euro baller.  He likes europe.  And Lakers had their shot at the Finals this year.

Intriguing.  I wonder how the NBA will react with that cap.  Might be the sports story of the year.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 08:59:19 AM »
50 million?  I'd guess he *could* get $100 million with the right marketing deal in place.  he's the biggest star in sports not named Tiger.

There is more to the world than America, there are far more soccer stars bigger than Kobe, Beckham for one.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 09:01:38 AM »
There is more to the world than America, there are far more soccer stars bigger than Kobe, Beckham for one.

Sorry, I'm ethnocentric in that aspect... I don't know many worldwide stars

I just heard the funniest nickname... "LeBronze", after the 2006 team's inability to win Gold.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 09:10:43 AM »
There's a rumor about Lebron James going Euro as well isn't there?
$

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 09:20:21 AM »
I think it would be a great move for Kobe and a horror show for the NBA...Kobe lost a ton of money over the rage charge...This can be his way of recupping what he lost...He can sign a two year deal worth 100 million and then make another 50 million on the side...150 million for two years worth of work...He would be a fool not to...However if the NBA was smart, they would do everything they could to hold on to Kobe...One of these owners may have to give him ownership in a team...May be the only way to hold on to him...

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 09:39:32 AM »
this is all bullshit, they just want to punish the NBA and America as a whole and give them a big finger due to their egocentrical view of themselves, like a white girl cheating on her husband with a black guy...

problem is bryant will soon figure how crappy life is in europe and especially italia, and will ask to come back in north america after some years because "everything is so shitty here in europe compared to the USA" ..

like the grass is greener in europe...

always the same crap, desilusions of grandeur and anger toward the USA...

he'll be back...

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »
this is all bullshit, they just want to punish the NBA and America as a whole and give them a big finger due to their egocentrical view of themselves, like a white girl cheating on her husband with a black guy...

problem is bryant will soon figure how crappy life is in europe and especially italia, and will ask to come back in north america after some years because "everything is so shitty here in europe compared to the USA" ..

like the grass is greener in europe...

always the same crap, desilusions of grandeur and anger toward the USA...

he'll be back...

maybe but who in the world would have thought that budweiser beer would sell there company to someone outside the US...Everyone can say that all this 2012 conspiracy talk is BS but this globel movement is happening at record pace...Companies are bailing out left and right...And anyone who is watching the olympics and see clear as day that alot of the commercials here in the states no longer have an american feel...There is truly some underlining shit going on...If America was just an experiment like many leaders around the world says it was, then the end is near and Kobe and many others going globel may just make sense after all...

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 10:14:14 AM »
maybe but who in the world would have thought that budweiser beer would sell there company to someone outside the US...Everyone can say that all this 2012 conspiracy talk is BS but this globel movement is happening at record pace...Companies are bailing out left and right...And anyone who is watching the olympics and see clear as day that alot of the commercials here in the states no longer have an american feel...There is truly some underlining shit going on...If America was just an experiment like many leaders around the world says it was, then the end is near and Kobe and many others going globel may just make sense after all...

I moved from europe to north america so I am a product of this globalized world, and if the grass is for sure greener in north america than in europe, i doubt it is for an american moving to europe... He ll get bored pretty soon.

Well , now to be honnest , he s a mutli millionaire star, so i doubt the quality of life, wether it's in the US or in europe, does affect him the way it affects "normal insignificant " people like me.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 10:17:32 AM »
when pigs fly ::)

E
E

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 10:19:15 AM »
I moved from europe to north america so I am a product of this globalized world, and if the grass is for sure greener in north america than in europe, i doubt it is for an american moving to europe... He ll get bored pretty soon.

Well , now to be honnest , he s a mutli millionaire star, so i doubt the quality of life, wether it's in the US or in europe, does affect him the way it affects "normal insignificant " people like me.

Kobe thinks of himself as the best basketball player on earth...And he is probably right...His ego is second to none...He lost alot of money over the rape charge...I truly believe that he will follow the money...He really has nothing to lose by leaving the NBA...Because when he comes back, he will still be the best player in the world...Only he will have about 100 million dollars in his bank account to help pad the ego...

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 05:26:11 AM »
These guys will sober up when they get back home. Their legacy is more important than some amount of money that they can never spend anyway.
What do you think is more important to Kobe, a 50 million dollar contract or winning a title WITHOUT shack?
You must remember the ego this guy has! How he is seen as a player in the future is much more important to him than money right now.

Lebron who hasn't even won a title yet is just feeling the effects of the Chinese pollution. He is not going ANYWHERE, he wants an NBA TITLE.
The few players that left to go to Europe were marginal talents and would not have had any major impact in the NBA anyway. They probably figured, why not go after some major $$$

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 05:57:23 AM »

nibiru=uribin= your ribbon dna

report to the falcon for the first in planetary informations
A

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 06:04:07 AM »
nibiru=uribin= your ribbon dna

report to the falcon for the first in planetary informations
I see the "Report to moderator" tab but where is the "Report to a Psychiatrist" Tab

Johnny, are you OK man?

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 12:41:01 PM »
bye bye, fag!

KB is a bitch and he should go to EU to avoid getting his ass whipped by the C's again...

closeline

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 01:01:48 PM »
his realistic salary in europe is maybe 3-5 million a year

Basketball is not a bing thing over here, its more a sport for the kid from poor background that is unrealistic enough to think he has the chance to be the next MJ, but still standing 5'8 at age 17 and 15'' vertical

People with money spend it on soccer

this option is BS

it will never happen

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 04:46:18 AM »
his realistic salary in europe is maybe 3-5 million a year

Basketball is not a bing thing over here, its more a sport for the kid from poor background that is unrealistic enough to think he has the chance to be the next MJ, but still standing 5'8 at age 17 and 15'' vertical

People with money spend it on soccer

this option is BS

it will never happen

Its the fastest growing sport over there and the offer was already given to both Kobe and Lebron(allegedly off the table of course)

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 04:51:26 AM »
Why is there no salary cap in Europe?

In Oz there is? thats why we lose our best players to Europe, and in the NBA there is.

closeline

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 05:24:36 AM »
because most of the time the only sponsor of the european clubs is a local industrial with some love into Bball and the TV money is little too

why have la limit on salarys that are that small (avg. 150.000€/a)

the sport is not growing any longer

climax was reached in 1995 regarding the kids interested in Bball and 1998 regarding media exposure (when Jordan retired most of the media left the scene, now its only some Bball in payTV)

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 05:26:17 AM »
because most of the time the only sponsor of the european clubs is a local industrial with some love into Bball and the TV money is little too

why have la limit on salarys that are that small (avg. 150.000€/a)

the sport is not growing any longer

climax was reached in 1995 regarding the kids interested in Bball and 1998 regarding media exposure (when Jordan retired most of the media left the scene, now its only some Bball in payTV)
Where are you from champ? im sorry but i cannot understand the post properly.

closeline

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 06:04:53 AM »
born in germany living in france

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 06:15:44 AM »
born in germany living in france
so basically your saying basketball sucks in europe?

closeline

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 07:43:04 AM »
yes, basically

nevertheless it brings out nba mvps as nowitzki and national teams and players at least as good as the us