Author Topic: Gluten.  (Read 6785 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Gluten.
« on: May 21, 2012, 04:22:39 AM »
Haven't made a post vilifying something in a while, figured I would shed some light on the implications of gluten or more specifically gliadin and it's effects on humans, without celiac sprue.

I wanted to start with some unrelated illnesses that many suffer from and work my way towards a "healthy population" whatever that is. below are PMID's which if entered in pubmed will bring you to the studies i am summarizing, if you would like to form your own conclusions, below are mine.

1.PMID: 22564339

2.PMID: 20406576

3.PMID: 19033217

these studies amongst numerous others look at gluten and casein wrt autism and spectrum disorders (adhd, pervasive developmental disorder, aspergers, high functioning autism and autism), both double blind and case reports as well as a mechanism of action for the issues caused. I raise these issues because it's related to the digestion of these peptides and not on sensitivity as per celiac. In this patient population it appears they cannot fully digest gluten which creates something called an exorphin, functionally similar to an endorphin our endogenous opiod. These exorphins are created via the improper digestion of gluten and can gain access to the CNS and bind opiate receptors amongst other things. This in turn can case a host of issues, gi inflammation and abhorrent gut motility, anxiety, stupor, hyperactivity, depression and as one author suggested brain damage (neuronal death, not retard level ;D). these patients urinate high levels of these peptides when challenged compared to controls and brain traces of gluten can be found, crazy.

Now the reason i bring this up is that alot of people suffer from ibs and digestive issues, while nothing like a spectrum illness can be potential areas where gluten and similar peptides are exerting strong negative influences on more then just digestion.

PMID: 22519894

this study looks at non-celiac gluten sensitivity, and again found similar effects of gluten on mood and somatic (body) symptoms compared to people who apparently can digest this peptide.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/magazine/Should-We-All-Go-Gluten-Free.html?pagewanted=all

this paper highlights the study i cannot find for some reason, but gluten is inherently difficult to digest, for anyone. Also, until recently it was not thought to cause inflammation in non celiac patients, this is not the case. Gluten inflames the intestines inherently, it is difficult to digest and does cause intestinal issues regardless. What does this mean, well it means that if you suffer from low inflammation you probably won't notice anything (i doubt it though) and can keep eating it without noticing (i doubt it). I have no doubt that eliminating this from one's diet will provide benefits regardless of illness.

PMID: 22516148

schizo's have high levels of antitissue transglutaminase

PMID: 20626025

again in psoriasis patients.

PMID: 21586414

showing that gluten free diet has some benefit (much more research is needed) for things ranging from arthritis to IBS to HIV related pathologies.

anyone else care to shit on gluten? or praise it even.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Gluten.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:48:52 AM »
anyone else care to shit on gluten? or praise it even.

I will shit on those who praise it.
 :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:58:17 AM »
Hey, are you using the PubMed.gov website?

That's an invaluable resource!
I've only been using it for about the last 6-8 months. I'm still not real good at searching & navigating through all of the different sections, but I've found some excellent material and have been able to answer quite a few questions I've been pondering.

The studies and abstracts they post are GOLD!!

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 07:15:13 AM »
Hey, are you using the PubMed.gov website?

That's an invaluable resource!
I've only been using it for about the last 6-8 months. I'm still not real good at searching & navigating through all of the different sections, but I've found some excellent material and have been able to answer quite a few questions I've been pondering.

The studies and abstracts they post are GOLD!!

yes that is what i use most of the time. Best place for medical research.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »
Wow, that is quite shocking...

I don't eat gluten at all, well apart from a cheat-meal hamburger bun or some pasta every few weeks, and since I changed my diet feel much better.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »
i avoid gluten like the plague

w8m8

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 04:33:10 AM »
good topic .. subscribed

I'm looking forward to following this

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 05:14:12 AM »
I've noticed a trend that more and more people - at least where I live - are becoming increasingly aware of the alarming impact(s) of gluten. While pure conjecture on my part, I would venture to say that even people who are not officially diagnosed with celiac disease will benefit by reducing/avoiding gluten consumption.

Eating a gluten-free diet is considerably harder than simply eating "healthy." Individual sensitivity plays a major role, too - sometimes, merely avoiding foods in which gluten is used or is naturally-occurring is not enough. Cross-contamination can be a problem; even in your own house where you're the one preparing the food!

Here is a comprehensive guide to avoiding gluten consumption: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/my01140

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »
Good thread, I don't eat any gluten at all.  Maybe a few times a year. 

Haven't for about five years, noticed a tremendous difference and now I can't eat it.

Wisc1983

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »
Good thread, I don't eat any gluten at all.  Maybe a few times a year. 

Haven't for about five years, noticed a tremendous difference and now I can't eat it.

what kind of difference did you see?  my older friends swear by it.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 10:28:52 PM »
what kind of difference did you see?  my older friends swear by it.

Well, I had light acne that would never go away and I've always had stomach/bowel issues, and sore joints.  For as long as I can remember.  My fat cousin told me about this Gluten free diet he was doing, and how he was convinced he had celiacs disease and that it was a genetic thing that ran in families.

I decided to go Gluten free and I instantly loved it.  I don't believe I have celiacs but I do know I'm gluten intolerant.  

Within a week I lost around 8 pounds of water, that I haven't carried since.  Not related to sugar or carbohydrates because the Gluten free bread and pasta I eat have just as much if not more.  My face cleared right up, joints never hurt at all, no bloating/bowel issues.  

Going gluten free is no issue at all because I don't feel at all like I'm depriving myself, I actually feel horrible when I eat gluten.  Within 20 minutes usually I can feel the difference.

I buy general purpose gluten free flour made with white rice, and make fried chicken, I use it to make anything that I want that has Gluten.  I get Udi's Gluten free bread, they make good pizza crusts, and hamburger and hotdog buns.  When I make spaghetti I get pasta made with corn which actually taste better (now) than real pasta.

I recommend you give it a try for a week, you might really notice a difference.

Wisc1983

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 07:18:30 AM »
thanks!  any links you have to share?  I saw a gluten app on my iphone, i will download that today, i think it was free.   my family has history of bowel issues and i have it sometimes, so that'd help a lot.  thanks again

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »
Well, I had light acne that would never go away and I've always had stomach/bowel issues, and sore joints.  For as long as I can remember.  My fat cousin told me about this Gluten free diet he was doing, and how he was convinced he had celiacs disease and that it was a genetic thing that ran in families.

I decided to go Gluten free and I instantly loved it.  I don't believe I have celiacs but I do know I'm gluten intolerant.  

Within a week I lost around 8 pounds of water, that I haven't carried since.  Not related to sugar or carbohydrates because the Gluten free bread and pasta I eat have just as much if not more.  My face cleared right up, joints never hurt at all, no bloating/bowel issues.  

Going gluten free is no issue at all because I don't feel at all like I'm depriving myself, I actually feel horrible when I eat gluten.  Within 20 minutes usually I can feel the difference.

I buy general purpose gluten free flour made with white rice, and make fried chicken, I use it to make anything that I want that has Gluten.  I get Udi's Gluten free bread, they make good pizza crusts, and hamburger and hotdog buns.  When I make spaghetti I get pasta made with corn which actually taste better (now) than real pasta.

I recommend you give it a try for a week, you might really notice a difference.

Eating gluten free just seem to limit so many food options.  What does your typical gluten free eating plan look like?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »
Eating gluten free just seem to limit so many food options.  What does your typical gluten free eating plan look like?

eating out it does, but there are literallly gluten free replacements for everything now, there is really no excuse anymore. Pastas, buns, breads, cookies etc.. all gluten free. Pizzas even.. get on board homey you will feel wayyyy better.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »

I don't eat like most professionals would recommend.  I'm 22, generally around 180 pounds.  Fairly strong/muscular, I guess I bodybuild casually.  Wavelength/Adonis style.

Yesterday I had Sausage Patties, Fried Eggs, and Black Coffee for Breakfast.  I had the Smoked Salmon and Salad from the Ikea cafeteria for lunch.

Before I worked out I had a turkey burger with no bun (that I cooked the day before), with mustard, onions, and pickles and more coffee.

For dinner I had left over New York strip steak and I made some frozen vegetables in the microwave to go with it.

;D

Later i'm having spaghetti made with Deboles Corn Pasta (exactly the same as traditional spaghetti noodles but better).

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »
eating out it does, but there are literallly gluten free replacements for everything now, there is really no excuse anymore. Pastas, buns, breads, cookies etc.. all gluten free. Pizzas even.. get on board homey you will feel wayyyy better.

Unos has Gluten Free Pizza that's really good (but I generally don't eat dairy either).  I think probably 50% of chain restaurants now have decent Gluten free selection.

Worst case just order a hamburger with no bun and fries or steak and baked potato.  8)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 05:44:12 PM »

If you're into processed carbs, gluten free can be tough.  Get rid of that crap and you're halfway there.  Just 'cause a label says "gluten free" doesn't make it healthy ~ look at the labels ~ a lot of the time they replace with junk.  Avoid all processed foods altogether is your best bet.  Gluten is only in wheat, rye and barley.  I still bake with basic all purpose flour, but otherwise a basic clean diet is pretty darn close to gluten free.  Makes me crazy when foods that wouldn't have gluten in it to begin with make a label claim "gluten free" " like meat or yogurt or cheese  

Now, if you're truly intolerant to gluten, it can be hidden in things like (some) mustard or salad dressing and of course beer, but generally speaking using something like flour to brown a roast or dredge a piece of chicken isn't gonna kill ya.
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 06:03:05 PM »
If you're into processed carbs, gluten free can be tough.  Get rid of that crap and you're halfway there.  Just 'cause a label says "gluten free" doesn't make it healthy ~ look at the labels ~ a lot of the time they replace with junk.  Avoid all processed foods altogether is your best bet.  Gluten is only in wheat, rye and barley.  I still bake with basic all purpose flour, but otherwise a basic clean diet is pretty darn close to gluten free.  Makes me crazy when foods that wouldn't have gluten in it to begin with make a label claim "gluten free" " like meat or yogurt or cheese  

Now, if you're truly intolerant to gluten, it can be hidden in things like (some) mustard or salad dressing and of course beer, but generally speaking using something like flour to brown a roast or dredge a piece of chicken isn't gonna kill ya.

I think that individual sensitivity is also a determining factor. While somewhat rare, it is reported that some people are susceptible to amounts as small as those found in cross-contamination.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 06:15:04 PM »

I think that individual sensitivity is also a determining factor. While somewhat rare, it is reported that some people are susceptible to amounts as small as those found in cross-contamination.

Just like someone with an allergy to shellfish or peanuts.  I have a friend who will go into anaphylactic (sp.) shock at the mere smell of shrimp.
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 07:03:47 PM »
Just like someone with an allergy to shellfish or peanuts.  I have a friend who will go into anaphylactic (sp.) shock at the mere smell of shrimp.

Yeah, my buddy carries an epipen due to extreme sensitivity to sesame.

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 02:00:14 AM »
I have some vitiligo patches that have started to repigment since eliminating gluten.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 03:21:53 AM »

good advice...

if it comes in a box, it's probably bad for you

personally i've given up all grain... but i'm a bit of an extremist  ;D

i have not given up the occasional beer though :-*