Author Topic: It has begun!  (Read 5215 times)

4thAD

Re: It has begun!
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 11:55:47 AM »
I NEED to hit 500... we is a sick people

HAHA I love that, I know that feeling of need very well!

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 11:56:38 AM »
it started with 315, then 405, then 455...hahahahaha i love it!

i've done 550 with a single ply Titan F6 shirt...

i want 500 RAW!!!

8)

Ok, Hey this metal pro Viking I got, I swear it could stop a .22 hp with the chest plate!
Lets see, who could we test it on... ;D

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 12:01:32 PM »
Ok, Hey this metal pro Viking I got, I swear it could stop a .22 hp with the chest plate!
Lets see, who could we test it on... ;D

These shirts are tough!

i've only seen one guy blow one out and it was with 715 pounds and the shirt was 2 years old with lots of abuse.

i can tug on it all day and it won't move an inch!

i haven't put a bench shirt on in almost a year, those heavy lockouts are what destroyed my wrist.

8)

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 02:32:20 PM »
This is my last run! i need to hit 500 before i get out. i've done 480 with a pause during my last cycle.

my strength is very good right now considering i've been clean for 6 months and i had knee surgery. i did a double with 455 last week so i think once this test/tren kicks in i'll be up there where i need to be.

Starting in 2008 i'll be back to BBing...i don't think my wrist will allow me to lift this heavy much longer. it's been wrecked for a long time.

8)

Good luck with whatever you choose, Overload.

I don't think you should give up PL, just moderate your training better.

Know when to push it and when to lay off.

It would suck to see you take a step down to bodybuilder.

I hope you understand what I mean.   :-X

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 06:14:32 PM »
it started with 315, then 405, then 455...hahahahaha i love it!

i've done 550 with a single ply Titan F6 shirt...

i want 500 RAW!!!

8)

I was wondering that.  Do you compete RAW?  Now I think that means all you can wear is a belt, no wraps or shirts or suits. 

I think that is the coolest with just a belt pounding out big #'s in the squat for reps nice and deep!

I would maybe one day like to try PL I think I would have a good squat and dead, my bench would be so-so.

Good luck in the event bro, keep us updated.

whitewidow

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 06:15:41 PM »
I just pray to God that Overload hasn't jumped on that Parabolin train already.....

I thought he was smarter than that.   :-X

DIV

whats wrong with para? its actually way more expensive of a compund. if its real high grade para I would opt for that anyday over acetate.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 06:44:58 PM »
I was wondering that.  Do you compete RAW?  Now I think that means all you can wear is a belt, no wraps or shirts or suits. 

I think that is the coolest with just a belt pounding out big #'s in the squat for reps nice and deep!

I would maybe one day like to try PL I think I would have a good squat and dead, my bench would be so-so.

Good luck in the event bro, keep us updated.

I've competed RAW for 7 years. just wrist wraps on bench, knee wraps/belt on squat and belt only for deadlifts.

my last two comps were single ply only meets...i used a single ply shirt and squat suit, wraps and belt. got 80 pounds out of the shirt and 120 pounds in the squat suit. the suit didn't do much for the deadlift, maybe 20 pounds. the squat was a big difference, that suit works great.

Best RAW meet lifts - 595 squat, 480 bench, 635 deadlift at 220 pounds.

8)

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 09:44:43 PM »
I've competed RAW for 7 years. just wrist wraps on bench, knee wraps/belt on squat and belt only for deadlifts.

my last two comps were single ply only meets...i used a single ply shirt and squat suit, wraps and belt. got 80 pounds out of the shirt and 120 pounds in the squat suit. the suit didn't do much for the deadlift, maybe 20 pounds. the squat was a big difference, that suit works great.

8)

Don't give up on the dream, Overload.

Don't give up your power.....

DIV

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007, 04:17:17 AM »

8)

Man those are some good #'s!  Now I dont know a lot about PL but dont most guys and gals have a bigger squat than dead? 

For peeps who are not picturing it that dead is more than 6.5 plates per side!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2007, 05:28:58 AM »
Man those are some good #'s!  Now I dont know a lot about PL but dont most guys and gals have a bigger squat than dead? 

For peeps who are not picturing it that dead is more than 6.5 plates per side!

You are correct...most guys usually have a better squat but at 6' tall i struggle with the squat. always had problems getting low enough to get the press command. with a squat suit my squat numbers are higher than my deadlift but that suit does all the work.

also the bench and squat numbers are with a full pause at the bottom, i've done a 625 RAW squat without a pause in the gym. that 1 second pause is a bitch!

DIV - i can only train bench heavy, i had my ACL reconstructed in april so heavy squats and deadlifts won't be happening for a while. this is why i might try bodybuilding for 2-3 years until i can go really heavy again.

8)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 05:47:50 AM »
You are correct...most guys usually have a better squat but at 6' tall i struggle with the squat. always had problems getting low enough to get the press command. with a squat suit my squat numbers are higher than my deadlift but that suit does all the work.

also the bench and squat numbers are with a full pause at the bottom, i've done a 625 RAW squat without a pause in the gym. that 1 second pause is a bitch!

DIV - i can only train bench heavy, i had my ACL reconstructed in april so heavy squats and deadlifts won't be happening for a while. this is why i might try bodybuilding for 2-3 years until i can go really heavy again.

8)

Different Fererations must have different rules on pause. SOme of these vid clips of meets I see look touch and go on the bench. 
That, and a 4" Rom w/ arms practicaly to the end of bar, but elbows tucked. And, a arch that ya could put a Basketball under. I cant even pull that form off.
I'm Afraid of a blown peck W/ that wide grip, even in a thick shirt.
Too much arch seem to steal my leg drive anyway, I can get a lot of pop from that.
Chain & board press & the Fat Bar is kick ass to get strong and thicker FAST. As impressive as a drug cycle.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2007, 05:56:23 AM »
Different Fererations must have different rules on pause. SOme of these vid clips of meets I see look touch and go on the bench. 

Correct...i lift in USAPL/WABDL/APA

all these feds are very strict on the pause command...i'm a judge for APA/WPA.

Some of these WPO meets are complete bullshit...touch and go bench presses and half squats. watch a USAPL squat, you have to get real deep with a very good pause. i think it's the toughest rules out of them all.

i arch pretty well but i don't have a gut, so i still have a long way to press the bar. i place my middle finger on the ring for RAW bench press. tuck the elbows real tight and touch the bar on the upper abs/lower chest. it's not a pretty bench but my form is flawless, i learned from some of the best.

always widen your grip slowly, it's very easy to tear a pec going from close grip to wide grip if you aren't used to it.

8)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2007, 06:14:18 AM »
Correct...i lift in USAPL/WABDL/APA

all these feds are very strict on the pause command...i'm a judge for APA/WPA.

Some of these WPO meets are complete bullshit...touch and go bench presses and half squats. watch a USAPL squat, you have to get real deep with a very good pause. i think it's the toughest rules out of them all.

i arch pretty well but i don't have a gut, so i still have a long way to press the bar. i place my middle finger on the ring for RAW bench press. tuck the elbows real tight and touch the bar on the upper abs/lower chest. it's not a pretty bench but my form is flawless, i learned from some of the best.

always widen your grip slowly, it's very easy to tear a pec going from close grip to wide grip if you aren't used to it.

8)

So a FULL 1 sec Pause?
That's a long one. I dont go for the bounce shit. That's just nothin, esp in some of these shirts today.
 Hell, even w/ the pause it's a loaded spring @ the bottom if ya set up  1/2 well.
I cant get much arch anymore, but I can get a LOT of leg drive, shoving my toes into the front of the boots and flex'n my ass at the very same time.
I work wide now and then, but it's never gona be my strongest grove.
Slightly lower then nipples is the lowest I touch in a shirt.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2007, 08:47:17 PM »
Man I gotta say when the bar is bending that is the best!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 11:19:35 AM »
Man I gotta say when the bar is bending that is the best!

I have that shirt that says "If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending"...i wear it on back day.

Some of these cheap Barbells at LA fitness bend SO easily. i was deadlifting 585 a while back and the bar would whip so hard at the top i could barely keep my balance. the bar was wobbling all over. that is why we use the "texas power bars" in competition. same with squat, you can really lose you balance with anything over 495 if you lock it out real hard it will bounce around.

Trab - i always count one second and then give the press command. in the rule book the bar must come to a "complete and controlled stop before giving the command". at my last bench meet with the bench shirt i had to pull the bar down so it would touch my chest. those shirts give one hell of a push at the bottom if they are tight.

8)

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2007, 12:50:47 PM »
I have that shirt that says "If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending"...i wear it on back day.

Some of these cheap Barbells at LA fitness bend SO easily. i was deadlifting 585 a while back and the bar would whip so hard at the top i could barely keep my balance. the bar was wobbling all over. that is why we use the "texas power bars" in competition. same with squat, you can really lose you balance with anything over 495 if you lock it out real hard it will bounce around.

Trab - i always count one second and then give the press command. in the rule book the bar must come to a "complete and controlled stop before giving the command". at my last bench meet with the bench shirt i had to pull the bar down so it would touch my chest. those shirts give one hell of a push at the bottom if they are tight.

8)

At LA Fitness, everything is geared toward fitness, not powerlifters...

The older LA Fitness gyms are more like the Golds used to be.

There is one I train at that has all the old equipment.

DIV

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2007, 01:00:07 PM »
At LA Fitness, everything is geared toward fitness, not powerlifters...

The older LA Fitness gyms are more like the Golds used to be.

There is one I train at that has all the old equipment.

DIV

The one i train at is about a year old, it has some decent stuff. the manager is really cool and lets us use chalk as long as we clean up.

The closest powerlifting gym is about an hour away. there used to be one down the street but he went bankrupt from trying to open 2 other gyms at the same time.

8)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2007, 01:01:36 PM »

8)
bro,when and were is the match.i will see if i can make it.

bench

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2007, 01:07:25 PM »
The one i train at is about a year old, it has some decent stuff. the manager is really cool and lets us use chalk as long as we clean up.

The closest powerlifting gym is about an hour away. there used to be one down the street but he went bankrupt from trying to open 2 other gyms at the same time.

8)

I don't like the new LA Fitness gyms..........they remind me of Bally's.....

They are good for training clients, but sub-par for serious lifters.

The free weight areas are too crowded and there are too many machines.

The old gym is cool because no one goes there and everything is open.

People call it "the Dungeon".

DIV

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2007, 01:13:43 PM »
bro,when and were is the match.i will see if i can make it.

bench

NASA East Texas Regional - Tyler, Tx

I might do Tiny Meekers meet, the date slips my mind for some reason, it's in Humble.

8)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2007, 01:20:21 PM »

I might do Tiny Meekers meet, the date slips my mind for some reason, it's in Humble.

8)
cool i will see if i have to work,if not i will be their.hell i might even enter just to get a rivalry going ;D

bench

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2007, 03:17:34 PM »

8)

I'd like to meet you Overload, perhaps you could give me some bench tips......

I go wide, but I do negatives, so my lifts aren't technially powerlifts.

You could teach me some things though......but I don't do powershirts.

DIV

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2007, 06:14:17 AM »
I'd like to meet you Overload, perhaps you could give me some bench tips......

I go wide, but I do negatives, so my lifts aren't technially powerlifts.

You could teach me some things though......but I don't do powershirts.

DIV

As would i...

I've done alot of negatives as well. the biggest improvements came from heavy board presses and rack lockouts. along with some chain and band presses.

with a wide grip you can tuck your elbows better and get a big drive out of the hole.

my best asset is my form, i was taught by world class powerlifters so i have the arch and form down to an art. I've helped alot of guys add 40-50 pounds to their max bench in a matter of 4-6 months, many of these guys are drug free and have been lifting for 10+ years. as you know, form and explosive power is the name of the game. i bench twice a week, heavy triples and doubles on monday and speed work on thursdays for sets of 5.

i gave up on the shirts, just not my thing really, seen alot of guys get hurt using too much weight. my buddy snapped his upper arm in half benching 500 with an inzer ragex shirt, his RAW bench was only 355. not a pretty sound...

8)

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2007, 02:58:46 PM »
As would i...

I've done alot of negatives as well. the biggest improvements came from heavy board presses and rack lockouts. along with some chain and band presses.

with a wide grip you can tuck your elbows better and get a big drive out of the hole.

my best asset is my form, i was taught by world class powerlifters so i have the arch and form down to an art. I've helped alot of guys add 40-50 pounds to their max bench in a matter of 4-6 months, many of these guys are drug free and have been lifting for 10+ years. as you know, form and explosive power is the name of the game. i bench twice a week, heavy triples and doubles on monday and speed work on thursdays for sets of 5.

i gave up on the shirts, just not my thing really, seen alot of guys get hurt using too much weight. my buddy snapped his upper arm in half benching 500 with an inzer ragex shirt, his RAW bench was only 355. not a pretty sound...

8)

I'm sure it sounded like a loud pop/crunch.........as bones usually do when they break.

I don't like some aspects of PL as it is currently because of the cheats, such as shirts and wraps to some degree.

I think knee/wrist straps can be beneficial but also abused as a crutch.

Most of my lifts are on a 1:2, concentric:eccentric tempo.

My body responds to negatives like nothing else.

DIV

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2007, 07:06:34 AM »
As would i...

Overload, I've been training for 8 months anywhere from 5-6 days a week. Initially (for first 7 months) I was following the retarded principle of 8-10 reps @ 4 sets and started to plateau. Now I try to lift as heavy as possible for 4-5 sets @ 4-5 reps and then throw in a 1 rep max, which is only at 205lb. 4-5 days latter I perform speed presses, 8 sets @ 4 reps @ 120lbs. I don't know if my routine is actually any good. Can you give me tips on improving my routine to get big and strong fast? Also, is it normal on speed day to feel like it was a breeze?