Author Topic: Suns to wear 'Los Suns' uniforms to honor Phoenix's Latino community  (Read 4821 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
In general, people in the sports world keep their political leanings to themselves. Sure, there are a few guys who regularly speak out on political issues, but for the most part that's considered bad business. As Michael Jordan put it, "Republicans buy shoes too." That's why what the Phoenix Suns are doing is so amazing.

The team will be wearing its "Los Suns" jerseys for Wednesday night's Game 2 against the San Antonio Spurs "to honor [the] Latino community and the diversity of our league, the state of Arizona, and our nation." Awesome.

The decision to wear the jerseys came from way up the corporate ladder, as team owner Robert Sarver suggested the team wear their Noche Latina alternates.

Sarver, who was born and raised in Tucson, said frustration with the federal government's failure to deal with the illegal immigration issue led to the passage of what he called "a flawed state law."

"However intended, the result of passing the law is that our basic principles of equal rights and protection under the law are being called into question," he said, "and Arizona's already struggling economy will suffer even further setbacks at a time when the state can ill-afford them."

The Suns voted on the jerseys and unanimously decided to wear them for Cinco De Mayo. As if he weren't likeable enough, Phoenix guard Steve Nash(notes) succinctly summed up the Suns' feelings on the issue.

"I think it's fantastic," Nash said after Tuesday's practice. "I think the law is very misguided. I think it's, unfortunately, to the detriment of our society and our civil liberties. I think it's very important for us to stand up for things we believe in. As a team and as an organization, we have a lot of love and support for all of our fans. The league is very multicultural. We have players from all over the world, and our Latino community here is very strong and important to us."

And it's not just the Suns who are speaking out on this issue.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich is on board, and the team even tried to get their "Los Spurs" jerseys, though it was too late to do so. When asked for approval to wear the jerseys, the NBA "was all for it," said Suns general manager Steve Kerr. Furthermore, NBA Players Association executive director Billy Hunter issued a press release, denouncing the law.

The recent passage of the new immigration law in Arizona is disappointing and disturbing. The National Basketball Players Association strongly supports the repeal or immediate modification of this legislation. Any attempt to encourage, tolerate or legalize racial profiling is offensive and incompatible with basic notions of fairness and equal protection. A law that unfairly targets one group is ultimately a threat to all.

We applaud the actions of Phoenix Suns players and management and join them in taking a stand against the misguided efforts of Arizona lawmakers. We are consulting with our members and our player leadership to determine the most effective way for our union to continue to voice our opposition to this legislation.

It's not much, just an extra three letters on the front of a tanktop, but it means a lot more. As Kerr said, the Suns want to "make sure that people understand that we know what's going on and we don't agree with the law itself." For a sports team, that's huge.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Suns-will-wear-Los-Suns-unis-to-honor-Phoenix-?urn=nba,238682

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Good on them.  They can support and wear what they like.  The NBA has a long history of supporting hispanic fans especially in Texas, California and Arizona. 
Abandon every hope...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
I'm betting that "70%" figure begins to drop as more and more conservative voices come fwd with concerns of violations of LEGAL americans' rights.

have we seen a more recent poll?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Already posted and this is shit again ppl making this into a race/ethinicity thing  ::)

Bullshit this is about illegal immigrants of all races and ethinicities...

if they are against this bill they should protest the bill not show support for latinos...hope the 70% of ppl in arizona that are for this bill boycott this bullshit

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I'm betting that "70%" figure begins to drop as more and more conservative voices come fwd with concerns of violations of LEGAL americans' rights.

have we seen a more recent poll?
iono depends on the amount of misinformation that ppl such as yourself can spew I guess...thought you were for the reformed law?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
people such as myself?

I guess you're including republicans like tancredo and ktistol in that too, huh?

and please tony, i said version 2 is better than version 1... and that version 3 will be BETTER.  But "being FOR' the law?  Come on.  I'm FOR breaking their legs and shipping them out.  I'm not FOR americans getting a single right violated.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
They are free to do so but this is silly BS.  Another thing I have tried to warn against on this issue.  Then of course crap like this:

These are things that could not happen on mass when it was people like Lou Dobbs raising the issue.  Lou even went on Democracy Now and owned the set.(wish I could find the video but I can't)  He didn't do that by making radical statements and silly moves that rile even moderates to the issue.  Lou brought so many to the issue without bringing the ridiculous...  His approach to the issue is exactly like mine.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
people such as myself?

I guess you're including republicans like tancredo and ktistol in that too, huh?

and please tony, i said version 2 is better than version 1... and that version 3 will be BETTER.  But "being FOR' the law?  Come on.  I'm FOR breaking their legs and shipping them out.  I'm not FOR americans getting a single right violated.
ya they sure as shit are as well...

LOL so youre against all laws now 240? you think that other laws havent been used to violate americans rights?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Here is the idiocy of 240 -  

Break knee caps first, ask immigration status later ok.

Ask immigation status first, then break knee caps not ok.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
wait - yes or no - are conservative stalwarts Krystol and Tancredo now full of shit?  Y or N?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Suns to wear 'Los Suns' uniforms to honor Phoenix's Latino community
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 10:58:21 AM »
Here is the idiocy of 240 -  

Break knee caps first, ask immigration status later ok.

Ask immigation status first, then break knee caps not ok.
LMAO 240 is ok with citizens reporting illegals but not ppl trained to protect us...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »
wait - yes or no - are conservative stalwarts Krystol and Tancredo now full of shit?  Y or N?
they are wrong on this issue just as you are...

are you against all laws now 240?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 11:07:55 AM »
yawn.  you guys are just making up positions now.

for the 90th time... you pay informants $100 per illegal, and you let ICE catch them at work via paperwork - you never have to speak to the person unless the boss provides fake docs.

then you fine the boss, you deport their asses.  You dry up the work, and many leave.  You don't have to worry about some skinny 21 year old rookie cop taking on a car load of illegals with rifles who know they're about to get carded at 2 am.  It's better to grab them at 7 am when they're washing breakfast dishes... then you boot them.

Dont take my word for it... benchmstr is a TX law enforcement, and he's against it.  he knows more about the real conditions than any of us.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »
they are wrong on this issue just as you are...

are you against all laws now 240?
oh fucking hell, this is getting silly....   ::)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 11:13:10 AM »
oh fucking hell, this is getting silly....   ::)
it certainly is...follow his logic hugo and tell me where im wrong.

he is against this law b/c he feels that even a single american citizens rights might get violated so this isnt a good law...

nobody has ever been pulled over when they didnt legitimately do anything wrong right? benchmstr confessed that he himself used to randomly pull ppl over to check their shit...so logically 240 should be against those laws as well...every law can be used to violate civil rights

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
In general, people in the sports world keep their political leanings to themselves. Sure, there are a few guys who regularly speak out on political issues, but for the most part that's considered bad business. As Michael Jordan put it, "Republicans buy shoes too." That's why what the Phoenix Suns are doing is so amazing.

The team will be wearing its "Los Suns" jerseys for Wednesday night's Game 2 against the San Antonio Spurs "to honor [the] Latino community and the diversity of our league, the state of Arizona, and our nation." Awesome.

The decision to wear the jerseys came from way up the corporate ladder, as team owner Robert Sarver suggested the team wear their Noche Latina alternates.

Sarver, who was born and raised in Tucson, said frustration with the federal government's failure to deal with the illegal immigration issue led to the passage of what he called "a flawed state law."

"However intended, the result of passing the law is that our basic principles of equal rights and protection under the law are being called into question," he said, "and Arizona's already struggling economy will suffer even further setbacks at a time when the state can ill-afford them."

The Suns voted on the jerseys and unanimously decided to wear them for Cinco De Mayo. As if he weren't likeable enough, Phoenix guard Steve Nash(notes) succinctly summed up the Suns' feelings on the issue.

"I think it's fantastic," Nash said after Tuesday's practice. "I think the law is very misguided. I think it's, unfortunately, to the detriment of our society and our civil liberties. I think it's very important for us to stand up for things we believe in. As a team and as an organization, we have a lot of love and support for all of our fans. The league is very multicultural. We have players from all over the world, and our Latino community here is very strong and important to us."

And it's not just the Suns who are speaking out on this issue.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich is on board, and the team even tried to get their "Los Spurs" jerseys, though it was too late to do so. When asked for approval to wear the jerseys, the NBA "was all for it," said Suns general manager Steve Kerr. Furthermore, NBA Players Association executive director Billy Hunter issued a press release, denouncing the law.

The recent passage of the new immigration law in Arizona is disappointing and disturbing. The National Basketball Players Association strongly supports the repeal or immediate modification of this legislation. Any attempt to encourage, tolerate or legalize racial profiling is offensive and incompatible with basic notions of fairness and equal protection. A law that unfairly targets one group is ultimately a threat to all.

We applaud the actions of Phoenix Suns players and management and join them in taking a stand against the misguided efforts of Arizona lawmakers. We are consulting with our members and our player leadership to determine the most effective way for our union to continue to voice our opposition to this legislation.

It's not much, just an extra three letters on the front of a tanktop, but it means a lot more. As Kerr said, the Suns want to "make sure that people understand that we know what's going on and we don't agree with the law itself." For a sports team, that's huge.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Suns-will-wear-Los-Suns-unis-to-honor-Phoenix-?urn=nba,238682

Well that should satisfy everyone involved with the issue.Im sure Hispanics and libs  are breathing a great sigh of relief today and Im sure conservatives are saying "now THATS diversity".This was the obvious solution to the entire immigration  issue.

Cant wait to see Derek Jeter change his name to see El Jeter  or El Rey De Nueva York.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 11:15:09 AM »
yawn.  you guys are just making up positions now.

for the 90th time... you pay informants $100 per illegal, and you let ICE catch them at work via paperwork - you never have to speak to the person unless the boss provides fake docs.

then you fine the boss, you deport their asses.  You dry up the work, and many leave.  You don't have to worry about some skinny 21 year old rookie cop taking on a car load of illegals with rifles who know they're about to get carded at 2 am.  It's better to grab them at 7 am when they're washing breakfast dishes... then you boot them.

Dont take my word for it... benchmstr is a TX law enforcement, and he's against it.  he knows more about the real conditions than any of us.
LOL bro im gonna report everybody I suspect is an illegal if thats the case you think ICE is going to be able to keep up?

what if you dont know where they work, they dont get reported?

LOL thats one persons opinion bro I have a friends dad who is retired from the sheriffs dept that thinks its a great law...why not take his word?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »
the thing is you dips shit those ppl are going to get pulled over regardless b/c they did something illegal in the first place that caused that police officer to pull them over...he didnt pull them over simply b/c they looked mexican.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 11:20:18 AM »
Well that should satisfy everyone involved with the issue.Im sure Hispanics and libs  are breathing a great sigh of relief today and Im sure conservatives are saying "now THATS diversity".This was the obvious solution to the entire immigration  issue.

Cant wait to see Derek Jeter change his name to see El Jeter  or El Rey De Nueva York.

The Muts already the Los Mets thing down pat.  thank God the NY Yankees have not gone down that road.  

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 11:21:57 AM »
LOL bro im gonna report everybody I suspect is an illegal if thats the case you think ICE is going to be able to keep up?

what if you dont know where they work, they dont get reported?

LOL thats one persons opinion bro I have a friends dad who is retired from the sheriffs dept that thinks its a great law...why not take his word?

Arizona Sheriff Clarence Dupnik thinks it's a racist law passed by the Arizona government only to divert attention away from their mismanagement of the state.  Why not take his word?

Here's another AZ Sheriff (interview starts @ 4:45).

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 11:22:44 AM »
ICE could afford to emply more officers with the $10k per illegal worker that they are charging employers.

however, I think after a few highly publicized busts, employers are going to start letting the illegals go.  If you have a couple of illegals, you would essentially lose your business.  So you'll tell them sorry, but they gotta go.  

Then many of them will go home.  Without violence to our police at 2 AM with a carload of unkonwns.

Of course, you're not the one doing those late night police stops, so maybe that isn't a concern for you.  I had LEOs in my family - they're scared on every single night stop.  You make it so the animals are cornered, they'll get violent, unfortunately.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 11:24:27 AM »
Sheriff Clarence of Arizona thinks it's a racist law passed by the Arizona government only to divert attention away from their mismanagement of the state.  Why not take his word?

LOL there are also sheriffs in arizona that are for the law why not take their word?  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 11:25:47 AM »
How about as a taxpayer I make the choice not to pay taxes and abide by the laws that these people pass? 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 11:26:44 AM »
Los Mets.Ha,ha,ha,other then selling more jerseys,what does this accomplish?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 11:27:27 AM »
ICE could afford to emply more officers with the $10k per illegal worker that they are charging employers.

however, I think after a few highly publicized busts, employers are going to start letting the illegals go.  If you have a couple of illegals, you would essentially lose your business.  So you'll tell them sorry, but they gotta go.  

Then many of them will go home.  Without violence to our police at 2 AM with a carload of unkonwns.

Of course, you're not the one doing those late night police stops, so maybe that isn't a concern for you.  I had LEOs in my family - they're scared on every single night stop.  You make it so the animals are cornered, they'll get violent, unfortunately.
AGAIN brainchild since this law states that contact must be made in a lawful way these illegals would be getting pulled over anyway  ::) Dont tell me Im not concerned about LEO dip shit

also again what if you dont know where they work? what if they dont work?