Author Topic: From Man to Beast. Working towards a 300kg deadlift  (Read 53654 times)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Raw training today.

Squats belted up to 215kgx1. I had hoped to go to 225kg, but the 215 was a little slow on the way up so I left it there. I was squatting equipped only 2 days ago, so that explains my underperforming today.

Rack pulls 235kg + smallest and second smallest 12 inch Iron Woody bands. 5x1
Deadlift 180kg 5x2 for technique
Twisting EZ bar deadlift 90kg + bar 2x2
Nordic Curls 2x10
Leg Press 255kg 5x2

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Bench 135kg 5x1
Bench 1 board 120kg 4x4 just to try and focus on keeping my upper back tight
Neutral grip chins + 1.25kg 5x5 very quick
Shoulder press 5x5
Close grip bench 90kg 4x6
Lying row 75kg fast up, paused and held at top, slow down, probably increasing the weight too fast on these. The pause really takes it out of me. lol

I threw in a few sets of 2, banded bench somewhere in here, just to work on some speed. I know it's not on a separate speed day, but it's just about the only place I can fit it in  :-\

This took me a fair amount of time. The gym is still so busy  >:(

11venthhour

• Getbig III
still looking strong, good to see you posting more again!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
still looking strong, good to see you posting more again!

Thanks man  :) Today as follows:

Squat equipped:
200kg x2
210kg x2
220kg x2
230kg x2
240kg x2 (Probably the sweetest set I have done in my life, they felt like nothing and just glided up)
250kg x2
250kg x1 For some reason things began to fall apart at 250kg. Fatigue I think. I think I'm overtraining a bit now. Things are going to change slightly in the next few weeks as I've realized with my schedule I can't train heavy both raw and equipped every week

Bench equipped:
160kg x2
170kg x2
180kg x2

All of the bench sets were so easy and technique is really starting to come together.

A good day in terms of becoming more familiar with the equipment and ironing out technical issues, however, disappointing that I've let myself become overtrained.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Yesterday:

Deadlift: a few singles at 255kg Not nearly as comfortable as I would have liked. My deadlift has really stalled
Neutral Grip Chins: 2.5kg 5x5 very quick
Shoulder Press
Lying row: Dropped to 72.5kg
Pinch grip work
Leg Press: Not going as deep on these as it's kind of unnecessary for my purposes. Also found it was putting strain on my groin which I really don't want. 380kg 5x2 easy

When I got in the gym today I felt ok, thought it might turn out to be a good workout. After a couple of singles on the deadlift it felt like everything went up shit creek and it took a real effort to push through the workout. Hopefully with some rest I can put in a good session come Saturday.

Did some abs in the house before I went to bed.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
I hate those crap sessions. Shake it off, better luck next time.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Re: From Man to Beast. Working to a 300kg single ply squat and 300kg raw dead Pa
« Reply #206 on: November 08, 2009, 04:16:24 PM »
I hate those crap sessions. Shake it off, better luck next time.

Thanks man. I haven't posted recently as things have been very busy. My training has taken a hit as I'm really prioritizing my education at the moment. I'm competing raw next weekend and I think I will have a bench workout tomorrow and that will do me. I'm really not where I want to be before this competition, but this is the nature of my routine now. All being well I'm hoping to put up something like 230, 152.5, 280. My bench has taken a shit because my delts are totally undertrained. Anywaysssssss, less of my moaning. I'll post after the competition and then freshen things up and take it from there.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Good luck on the competition.  Hope you kill it.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Re: From Man to Beast. Working to a 300kg single ply squat and 300kg raw dead Pa
« Reply #208 on: November 18, 2009, 09:47:58 AM »
Last weekend was rough. I was up at 6.30am for weigh ins and finished lifting at around 9pm. I was totally exhausted, even by the time the bench came around. Fatigue caught up with me and I definitely underperformed. I won my age class (20-23) and was 4th in the open. Lifts as follows:

Squat 215, 225, 232.5, 240 (4th attempt for record)
After the squat I was 2.5kg behind the leader
Bench 135, 145, 145 (Second attempt I pressed a tad too early. A stupid mistake to make. The lift was easy for me, but I decided to repeat the 145 for safety and not risk another mistake leaving me with only 135. I lifted smart and it worked. After the bench I was 2.5kg ahead
Deadlift 250, 265, - My nearest competitor failed his third attempt and seeing as my 265 was so shaky I decided to leave my third and not risk injuring my back again. I was really disappointed with my deadlift, although I hadn't made much of an attempt to peak it and after being on edge  for over 14 hours I was just happy it went up.

At the end of it all I came out with a 25kg lead and had I lifted slightly better I think I could have placed top 3 in the open. I'm only 21 and still have some way to improve, particularly in my benching. My focus will now be on equipped lifting

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
Big numbers - props for performing under pressure... guess the adrenaline was flowing...

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #210 on: November 19, 2009, 12:07:23 PM »
Big numbers - props for performing under pressure... guess the adrenaline was flowing...

Thanks man. After the squat I was thinking I could be on fire for the rest of the lifts, but it was just too long a day!

11venthhour

• Getbig III
meets can be a long day!
great job man, especially if you feel like you had more in the tank!
what weight class did you compete in?

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #212 on: November 19, 2009, 04:49:54 PM »
Very nice work, burn!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2009, 04:58:59 AM »
meets can be a long day!
great job man, especially if you feel like you had more in the tank!
what weight class did you compete in?

Definitely have more in me. I have pulled 280 before, so that's about somewhere! lol. My diet on competition day consisted of protein shakes, creatine and chocolate. My gut was a wreck. lol

I was 110kg class

burn2live

• Getbig IV