Author Topic: Planned Parenthood - Morning After Pill  (Read 15359 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Planned Parenthood - Morning After Pill
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2007, 01:13:26 PM »
I figured she went to a Christian School.

Why is it that after "sex education" and 3 trips to Planned Parenthood she's still too stupid to master the complicated mechanics of using a condom?

At least she smart enough to realize that she shouldn't be having any kids

I commend Planned Parenthood for helping this girl.

::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2007, 01:14:42 PM »
I suspect there are millions of women over 18 who have had more than 1 abortion. 

Better than having millions of unwanted babies who's parents are incapable of raising them.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2007, 01:17:42 PM »
::)

Right on time - whenever you're incapable of response you pull out the self righteous condescending eye roll

If you're so concerned about your kids stupid friend why don't you do something to help her and go talk to her parents instead of posting on Get Big

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2007, 01:24:05 PM »
Right on time - whenever you're incapable of response you pull out the self righteous condescending eye roll

If you're so concerned about your kids stupid friend why don't you do something to help her and go talk to her parents instead of posting on Get Big

The eye roll was for you dumbing down yet another thread Jethro.  Ya'll come back now, ya hear? 

Oh, and . . .  ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2007, 01:27:09 PM »
The eye roll was for you dumbing down yet another thread Jethro.  Ya'll come back now, ya hear? 

Oh, and . . .  ::)

once again - don't blame me because you're too stupid to understand something

Your kid's friend is a MORON

Stop blaming Planned Parenthood

If your concern for this girl is genuine then stop posting on Get Big and go talk to her parents

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2007, 01:30:52 PM »
once again - don't blame me because you're too stupid to understand something

Your kid's friend is a MORON

Stop blaming Planned Parenthood

If your concern for this girl is genuine then stop posting on Get Big and go talk to her parents

" . . .  Poor mountainer barely kept his family fed.  And then one day he was shootin' at some fooooood.  When up through the ground come a bubblin' crude . . .  Oil that is . . ." 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2007, 01:47:36 PM »
" . . .  Poor mountainer barely kept his family fed.  And then one day he was shootin' at some fooooood.  When up through the ground come a bubblin' crude . . .  Oil that is . . ." 

when you get done singing to yourself maybe you can step away from the computer and actually do something useful and go talk to this girls parents.

That is assuming you actually care about this person and aren't just using her as an example to foment your own prejudice against Planned Parenthood

If not, maybe you can at least show her how to put on a condom

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2007, 01:59:29 PM »
when you get done singing to yourself maybe you can step away from the computer and actually do something useful and go talk to this girls parents.

That is assuming you actually care about this person and aren't just using her as an example to foment your own prejudice against Planned Parenthood

If not, maybe you can at least show her how to put on a condom

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,
Kinfolk said "Jed move away from there"
Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

. . .

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2007, 02:03:49 PM »
Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,
Kinfolk said "Jed move away from there"
Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

. . .

Do you really know the words to that song or do you have to look them up?

Is that the kind of stuff you learn in a Christian High School instead of how to wrap your dork.

No Joke - if you really truly cared about this girl you wouldn't post about her on a website and you would go talk to her parents. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2007, 02:05:52 PM »
Do you really know the words to that song or do you have to look them up?

Is that the kind of stuff you learn in a Christian High School instead of how to wrap your dork.

No Joke - if you really truly cared about this girl you wouldn't post about her on a website and you would go talk to her parents. 

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars.

Well now its time to say good by to Jed and all his kin.
And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.
You're all invited back a gain to this locality
To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Hillybilly that is. Set a spell, Take your shoes off.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2007, 02:18:25 PM »
Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars.

Well now its time to say good by to Jed and all his kin.
And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.
You're all invited back a gain to this locality
To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Hillybilly that is. Set a spell, Take your shoes off.

Bum - did it ever occur to you that while you're sitting home singing songs this poor stupid girl could be at Planned Parenthood right now?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2007, 11:58:10 AM »
Bum - did it ever occur to you that while you're sitting home singing songs this poor stupid girl could be at Planned Parenthood right now?

...or worse, ...influencing his daughter. He's all riled up about his daughter's friend getting assistance from planned Parenthood, ...but isn't seeing the bigger issue here... his daughter's friend is sexually active, and not using birthcontrol or practicing safe sex. They say you will know someone by who their xlosest friends are. His daughter could be a hair's breadth away from unsafe unprotected sex herself.

If he talks to the girls parents, it's gonna have ramifications on the friendship between that girl and his daughter (which could be what he wants), ...but at the same time, it's definitely gonna have an effect on how much he daughter trusts him again in the future.

Beach, you need to stop focussing on this girl, ...and focus on your daughter.
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2007, 12:43:50 PM »
...or worse, ...influencing his daughter. He's all riled up about his daughter's friend getting assistance from planned Parenthood, ...but isn't seeing the bigger issue here... his daughter's friend is sexually active, and not using birthcontrol or practicing safe sex. They say you will know someone by who their xlosest friends are. His daughter could be a hair's breadth away from unsafe unprotected sex herself.

If he talks to the girls parents, it's gonna have ramifications on the friendship between that girl and his daughter (which could be what he wants), ...but at the same time, it's definitely gonna have an effect on how much he daughter trusts him again in the future.

Jag,

all good points.  From Bum's first post it seems as though his daughter broached the subject and perhaps is worried  about her friend.  I'm assuming of course that he's truly concerned about this girl and not just using her as an example for his well known issue with female reproductive rights.   No doubt, talking with this girls parents could be touchy and unless I knew them personally I would most likely not want to butt in either.  Then again, Bum does seem to be a busy body/mother hen type who loves to instruct people on the proper way to conduct their lives.   Whatever path is taken, it just seems that posting about her on Get Big is the least useful thing to do.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2007, 02:57:28 PM »

Thanks for the advice, but I'm actually very comfortable with the level communication I have with my daughter.  She is very bright, level headed, and makes good decisions.  The fact we openly talk about sex and she talks to me openly about which ones of her friends are sexually active speaks volumes.  People who actually raise kids would understand this.

What do your teenaged daughters think about this? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2007, 04:07:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice, but I'm actually very comfortable with the level communication I have with my daughter.  She is very bright, level headed, and makes good decisions.  The fact we openly talk about sex and she talks to me openly about which ones of her friends are sexually active speaks volumes. People who actually raise kids would understand this.

yep  :)

I have a 19 year daughter.  I agree.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2007, 01:45:02 AM »
Jag,

all good points.  From Bum's first post it seems as though his daughter broached the subject and perhaps is worried  about her friend.  I'm assuming of course that he's truly concerned about this girl and not just using her as an example for his well known issue with female reproductive rights.   No doubt, talking with this girls parents could be touchy and unless I knew them personally I would most likely not want to butt in either.  Then again, Bum does seem to be a busy body/mother hen type who loves to instruct people on the proper way to conduct their lives.   Whatever path is taken, it just seems that posting about her on Get Big is the least useful thing to do.   

w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2007, 01:53:07 AM »
Thanks for the advice, but I'm actually very comfortable with the level communication I have with my daughter.  She is very bright, level headed, and makes good decisions.  The fact we openly talk about sex and she talks to me openly about which ones of her friends are sexually active speaks volumes.  People who actually raise kids would understand this.

Can't argue with that, ...but at the same time, how you handle such knowledge is going to have an effect on how she trusts you with such knowledge again in the future. You may be a parent, ...but I have been a teenage girl, ...and have been witness to more teenage girl folly than you ever have, ...and have been counsel for more teenage girls than you will ever be. All I can tell you is you need to TRUST ME on this one. You may think your daughter has a level head on her shoulders and makes good decisions, (and as a parent, ...you do get to be biased where your own kids are concerned  ;)) ...but clearly she doesn't make good decisions when it comes to the company she chooses to keep. Why does a smart, intelligent, level-headed girl, choose friends who make such bad decisions? hmmm
w

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2007, 06:16:39 AM »
In other words, there are no studies.  What you're saying doesn't make sense Al.  If it's just a matter of increasing the dose of a pill, there would be no need for an entirely new drug.  I haven't researched this pill at all, but I question whether it is the simply a stronger dose of a drug that has been on the market for 50 years.  (And I don't feel like looking it up.  :)) 

In a previous post, I provided Wikipedia links for the history of birth control and Plan B. Here are more links:

From the Planned Parenthood website:
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/birth-control-pregnancy/emergency-contraception-4363%20.htm
"EC, also known as emergency birth control, has been available for more than 30 years. It contains hormones found in birth control pills and must be started within 120 hours after unprotected intercourse."

From the plan B Website:
http://www.go2planb.com/ForConsumers/AboutPlanB/SafeAndEffective.aspx
"Plan BŪ is approved by the FDA for use as an emergency contraceptive. And it contains the same birth control hormone that healthcare professionals have been prescribing for more than 35 years. When used as directed, Plan BŪ is safe for women. Plan BŪ has no serious or lasting medical side effects."

On the first page of this thread, I explained to you why the FDA had to approve Plan B and gave another example. The FDA has to approve tylenol if it changes its strength.

You are confusing the approval process of Plan B with the lengthy battle to make it an over the counter drug.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2007, 06:18:17 AM »
Although no conclusive research has been conducted into the long-term effects of the morning-after pill, Dr Niyada said that some studies showed links between constant high levels of progesterone, due to extended use of the pill, and breast, ovarian and uterine cancer plus ectopic pregnancies.

http://www.morningafterpill.org/bangkok.htm

And on the first page of this thread, I provided a wikipedia link that analyzed these findings. According to the link, the increased risk of BEING DIAGNOSED was minimal and was probably due to the fact that women on the pill received more thorough reproductive health care.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2007, 06:20:14 AM »
Only "anti-abortion activists" have raised questions?  Even if that's true, which I doubt, so what.  Are you saying people who oppose abortion lack credibility?

In this area, yes. You are a perfect illustration of why that is.

I've posted multiple links and examples to explain most of the questions you've raised about birth control, but you've ignored all of them and just keep repeating the points I've already addressed.

You can't really be trusted to make an objective, accurate assessment about this issue because you're afraid to consider any information that might alter your position.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2007, 06:26:34 AM »

People like who? The people who are raising your daughter's friend?

You seem to be implying that because you've managed to raise a daughter who's, thusfar, avoided getting pregnant that it makes you an expert on teenage sexuality. Mind you, the young lady who's running to PP every week without her parent's knowledge has managed to avoid pregnancy, as well.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2007, 08:53:43 AM »
yep  :)

I have a 19 year daughter.  I agree.

But of course.  You've raised a teenaged daughter.  Kudos mang.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2007, 09:00:08 AM »
Can't argue with that, ...but at the same time, how you handle such knowledge is going to have an effect on how she trusts you with such knowledge again in the future. You may be a parent, ...but I have been a teenage girl, ...and have been witness to more teenage girl folly than you ever have, ...and have been counsel for more teenage girls than you will ever be. All I can tell you is you need to TRUST ME on this one. You may think your daughter has a level head on her shoulders and makes good decisions, (and as a parent, ...you do get to be biased where your own kids are concerned  ;)) ...but clearly she doesn't make good decisions when it comes to the company she chooses to keep. Why does a smart, intelligent, level-headed girl, choose friends who make such bad decisions? hmmm

I'm not going to debate whether you have counseled more teenaged girls than me.  I have no way of knowing that, and neither do you.  I will say that when you actually raise children it gives you a different perspective.  In a sense you're like the person giving driving tips despite never having a license and never having driven a car.  Sure you can play video games and watch TV, but you need to actually take the test and drive to give sound advice.

Go get yourself a husband and make a baby or two and you may have a different outlook on child-rearing.   

My daughter is just like her father:  she is friendly with everyone she meets, warts and all.  It's a good trait and broadens your horizens.  She also trys to have a positive impact on others who might be struggling with certain issues.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2007, 09:09:50 AM »
In this area, yes. You are a perfect illustration of why that is.

I've posted multiple links and examples to explain most of the questions you've raised about birth control, but you've ignored all of them and just keep repeating the points I've already addressed.

You can't really be trusted to make an objective, accurate assessment about this issue because you're afraid to consider any information that might alter your position.

[chuckle]  So I'm an anti-abortion activist?  That's news to me.  Two wrong assumptions in this thread Al.   

All I've done is raise questions.  You haven't really addressed my question.  Thanks for the links, but what I've asked is where are the studies showing no adverse long-term effects based on multiple uses of this particular pill.  The dose is apparently 50 times stronger than an existing drug. 

I spent another few minutes and came up with others (undoubtedly anti-abortion activists) who have questions:

There have been no trials on the long-term effects of the morning-after pill and no published trials on its effects on the fertility and health of teenage girls. The morning-after pill is being increasingly promoted, particularly to girls under the age of consent. The effects on women's health are not being monitored, despite the fact that the drug company behind it recommends that the morning-after pill is not given to girls under 16 without the supervision of their doctor.

http://www.spuc.org.uk/students/abortion/map

And there is this quote from earlier in the thread:

Although no conclusive research has been conducted into the long-term effects of the morning-after pill, Dr Niyada said that some studies showed links between constant high levels of progesterone, due to extended use of the pill, and breast, ovarian and uterine cancer plus ectopic pregnancies.

http://www.morningafterpill.org/bangkok.htm

If some studies show links between constant high levels of progesterone and health problems, I wonder what the studies will show on doses 50 times higher than normal? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2007, 09:14:59 AM »
People like who? The people who are raising your daughter's friend?

You seem to be implying that because you've managed to raise a daughter who's, thusfar, avoided getting pregnant that it makes you an expert on teenage sexuality. Mind you, the young lady who's running to PP every week without her parent's knowledge has managed to avoid pregnancy, as well.

lol.  Three wrong assumptions in this thread Al.  No I'm not necessarily an expert on teenage sexuality.  I am an expert on raising my own kids.  I also know that people who actually raise kids often have a different perspective than people who don't.  Try having a discussion with someone who has never worked in advertising and have them tell you how to do your job.  Don't you think you have a different outlook after having worked on the inside? 

And some parents don't do so hot with child rearing.  My daughter's friend has a mother who got pregnant at an early age and is now divorced.  The girl lives with her father and one of his girlfriends.  Not surprised at all that her dysfunctional environment has led to poor decision making.