Author Topic: How many have come back from a life-changing injury?  (Read 2092 times)

Tinsley

• Getbig III
How many have come back from a life-changing injury?
« on: September 15, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »
Hey Everyone,

So I was active on this board from 2003-2006.  In November of 2006 I sustained a compression fracture of three vertebrae in the upper lumbar area.  I was in a partial body cast for roughly eight months, and have struggled with intermittent numbness in my lower body and occasional impaired mobility since that time. Fortunately this happened while I was working for the federal government, and I have received excellent care and compensation ever since.

However, it did completely take away the one thing that I have loved since I was twelve years old; training.  My father was an amature bodybuilder and the best time of my childhood was the time we spent in the gym together.  It's the reason I was able to play college football at 17, as I was 6'3" and 235lbs.  I did a few natural shows between 18-22. 

My injury caused a fair bit of depression, and I ballooned up to 310-320lbs. 

Since 2007, I have been advised by my orthopaedic surgeon that he will never allow me to train again while under his care (and signing my insurance forms).  However, in 2012 he said he would allow some 'moderate' physical activity, but specifically not weight training of any kind.  I began to take up paintball, and something I still enjoy.

This year, he said that my back is as good as it ever will be, and will advise 'activity as tolerated' while continuing to approve my continued coverage after my injury. 

Sorry for the long into, but my question is this:

How many of you have suffered from a life-changing injury or illness and come back from it?

denarii

• Getbig V
Re: How many have come back from a life-changing injury?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 03:49:43 PM »
just pay for the kigs and you are fine in 3 months