Author Topic: Next WWE DVD:  (Read 9669 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Next WWE DVD:
« on: December 05, 2009, 04:11:25 PM »
So, before they come out with one more Cena, HHH, HBK, Hogan, etc. DVD, who would you like to see featured?

My votes (in no particular order, but I’m sticking to “legends” because almost none of the current crop interests me at all):

Rick Rude
Demolition
Ricky Steamboat
Bulldogs
Shane Douglas (if the old man can kiss & make up with Bret…)
Bobby Heenan

I’ve seen shoot interviews with some of these guys, but Vince owns a lot of good footage that nobody else can release.

Rick Rude was an interesting guy. It would be nice to hear some first hand accounts regarding many of the stories/rumors we’ve heard over the years – like his backstage heat with Ultimate Warrior, and the circumstances of his appearance in all 3 major wrestling promotions in the same week!

Steamboat has already told quite a lot – especially in his RF Video shoot. Considering some of his tremendous matches and feuds, I think a lot of fans would totally “mark out” watching a commentary of Ricky & Savage talking together about their WM III match & buildup. Same goes for his series of matches with Flair. I don’t mean combine clips of the men, but sit them down in a room and let them converse about the matches.

Shane is quite bitter and has burned a lot of bridges, but he led a very interesting career in each of the “big 3.” I think people would buy a DVD if they knew he was given free reign to openly discuss many issues, and that's the only way it would work. Having met Shane on a number of occasions, I will say he's a great guy, but when it comes to certain matters (and people), he's as stubborn as Hellwig.

Demolition & Bulldogs appear on the 80’s tag team DVD, but really, each team deserves more. Hell, they could probably do an entire video on Davey alone.

Heenan has THE BEST stories. He was a revolutionary and one of a kind manager. He was actually 3rd in command of WWF at one point (just under George Scott) – a fact that very few people know. It would be nice to see a compilation of his career - this time including WWF footage, as a lot of his best work took place there.

cheftim

• Getbig III
Re: Next WWE DVD:
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 04:25:17 PM »

The Brain all the way.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 04:29:43 PM »
He's my #1 pick, too.

I am perhaps the biggest Bobby Heenan mark there is.
Everybody gets a woody when vacationing in Florida and meeting the Hulkster.
I'd prefer to meet "The Brain."

I own both of his books, his shoot video, and I would/will buy anything else he comes out with.

Mark, OUT.
 ;D

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 06:24:11 PM »
I'd like a Dibiase dvd first amd foremost. Owen would be good, but with his death and his wife i don't think it will happen, which is a shame. His Japan stuff is great and by all accounts was the biggest ribber of all, i'd love to hear those stories.. I've always been a Hall mark, so i'd love a dvd starting with his AWA days all the way to the Outsiders. I'd also like an "In Your House" set.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 06:33:56 PM »
Yeah, I meant to include Ted $$ in my original post.
WTF did I do? ???

Anyway...

I'd like to hear (and I don't know if this was mentioned on the Savage DVD or not) about how he was supposed to have won the strap in Atlantic City at WM IV, but plans were changed at the last minute to give it to Macho instead.

Even today, there aren't many Manias where a heel walks out with the h/w title.
Back then it was unheard of.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »
Every DVD that they do is very well done, i love the docs. My favorites are the Mr. Perfect, Bret Hart, Flair's second one, Pillmans and the AWA ones. I wish Savage's had a doc since i had already seen all the matches listed.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 10:56:52 AM »
Did Savage appear in anything current on the disc, or was it all strictly archives?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »
Did Savage appear in anything current on the disc, or was it all strictly archives?
archives. Maria and i think Matt Stryker introduced each segment.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 03:02:52 PM »
Wow.
Aside from Savage’s matches, it sounds pretty lame.

The commentary is what makes it. If the featured wrestler isn’t available for whatever reason, they should at least interview people who were significantly involved with the main guy.

Maria & Stryker are perhaps the lamest hosts for a project like this.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 07:34:14 PM »
World Wrestling Entertainment will be releasing the 2010 Royal Rumble PPV in standard and Blu-Ray formats, the first time a WWE PPV event beyond Wrestlemania has been released in Blu-Ray outside of Europe.

There will be a 3 DVD set devoted to Shawn Michaels set for a March 2010 release devoted to a countdown of his 25 best matches. That should be an interesting title to watch develop.

attn chef tim

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 08:06:39 PM »
So, before they come out with one more Cena, HHH, HBK, Hogan, etc. DVD...

There will be a 3 DVD set devoted to Shawn Michaels set for a March 2010 release devoted to a countdown of his 25 best matches. That should be an interesting title to watch develop.

Shawn is great and all, but how are they really gonna market this?
"Buy HBK's 25 best matches that you already own on any of the 16 other Shawn Michaels DVD's from WWE's video library."

They come out with a new one on average every other year - sometimes sooner - and they overlap each other!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 08:28:11 PM »
Shawn is great and all, but how are they really gonna market this?
"Buy HBK's 25 best matches that you already own on any of the 16 other Shawn Michaels DVD's from WWE's video library."

They come out with a new one on average every other year - sometimes sooner - and they overlap each other!

Exactly. You get most of these matches on other anthologies and they already did a documentary in "Heartbreak and Triumph". Maybe have commentary by his opponents? At the same time Taker, Bret, Angle can't for various reasons. so i don't know. The new Hogan was has supposedly all "never before seen" footage although i haven't investigated it. A Jeff Hardy one came out Tuesday, but they released a Hardy Boyz one 2 or so years ago. Vince owns so much footage, it's not like he's short on content.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 08:46:06 PM »
Exactly. Vince owns so much footage, it's not like he's short on content.

He owns 60+ years of footage from multiple territories & promotions.
Yet he keeps repackaging the same 6% of that stock to sell - OVER AND OVER AND OVER...

For the fan who already owns 2-3 Shawn Michaels DVD's, which do you think they'll be more inclined to buy: a shiny "new" HBK 3-disc set, or a Demolition DVD?

I'm just using Demolition as an example - you can easily substitute any of the remaining 94% of untouched footage that Vince could sell, but doesn't for God knows why.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
So, before they come out with one more Cena, HHH, HBK, Hogan, etc. DVD, who would you like to see featured?

My votes (in no particular order, but I’m sticking to “legends” because almost none of the current crop interests me at all):

Rick Rude
Demolition
Ricky Steamboat
Bulldogs
Shane Douglas (if the old man can kiss & make up with Bret…)
Bobby Heenan

I’ve seen shoot interviews with some of these guys, but Vince owns a lot of good footage that nobody else can release.

Rick Rude was an interesting guy. It would be nice to hear some first hand accounts regarding many of the stories/rumors we’ve heard over the years – like his backstage heat with Ultimate Warrior, and the circumstances of his appearance in all 3 major wrestling promotions in the same week!

Steamboat has already told quite a lot – especially in his RF Video shoot. Considering some of his tremendous matches and feuds, I think a lot of fans would totally “mark out” watching a commentary of Ricky & Savage talking together about their WM III match & buildup. Same goes for his series of matches with Flair. I don’t mean combine clips of the men, but sit them down in a room and let them converse about the matches.

Shane is quite bitter and has burned a lot of bridges, but he led a very interesting career in each of the “big 3.” I think people would buy a DVD if they knew he was given free reign to openly discuss many issues, and that's the only way it would work. Having met Shane on a number of occasions, I will say he's a great guy, but when it comes to certain matters (and people), he's as stubborn as Hellwig.

Demolition & Bulldogs appear on the 80’s tag team DVD, but really, each team deserves more. Hell, they could probably do an entire video on Davey alone.

Heenan has THE BEST stories. He was a revolutionary and one of a kind manager. He was actually 3rd in command of WWF at one point (just under George Scott) – a fact that very few people know. It would be nice to see a compilation of his career - this time including WWF footage, as a lot of his best work took place there.

they gotta do the bruno sammartino video eventually.
F

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 02:02:50 PM »
they gotta do the bruno sammartino video eventually.
I don't think it would sell. I think thats part of the reason you see the same dvds, the market is kids and they don't give a fvck about Bruno, Demoilition, Sting... they love Cena, Hardy, etc. I really think a Sting dvd will happen once he's done with TNA. I really want an Angle one as well. That would be a must buy for the segments and promos alone.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »
I don't think it would sell. I think thats part of the reason you see the same dvds, the market is kids and they don't give a fvck about Bruno, Demoilition, Sting... they love Cena, Hardy, etc. I really think a Sting dvd will happen once he's done with TNA. I really want an Angle one as well. That would be a must buy for the segments and promos alone.
              you might be right the only way it would sell if they would tie it in with bruno's induction into the hof. and we all know that's not gonna happen.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »

True.
But, don’t forget about the “classics” stuff – i.e. Hennig’s DVD did pretty good numbers.

There’s still the/our demographic (nerds with jobs) that loved the 80/90’s and now have money to spend on nostalgia like $300 Winged Eagle replica championship belts, etc.

With numbers the way they are, Vince should not neglect such a large segment of his somewhat dwindling market.
The "Jeff Hardy/Rey Mysterio" gravy train won’t last forever.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 06:50:25 AM »
Maybe someone at the Stamford offices reads our ramblings! LOL
About 3 months ago I suggested the prospect of a Ricky Steamboat DVD, and lo and behold…

From Jim Ross' blog at JRsBarBQ.com:

"Apparently a long awaited DVD on the career of the great, WWE HOF'er Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat will be released in June. Being on a medical leave of sorts really is a bummer for many reasons not the least of which being not involved in projects such as this one. Ricky is one of my all time favorites and his matches with Ric Flair, among many others, are simply timeless classics. Their 1989 NWA Title Bout in Chicago that I had the privilege of calling is one of my favorite nights on the job."

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 12:24:17 PM »
Heenan & Rude dvd's would be great Also a British Bulldogs dvd. I would definately invest in those.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »
The official title of WWE's new Ricky Steamboat DVD is "Ricky Steamboat: Life of a Dragon."
The official description for the DVD is as follows:

"Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat is one of the most legendary performers in the history of sports entertainment. The popular superstar made his name in the Carolina territory and went on to become a fan favorite in WCW and WWE. His battles with Ric Flair for the NWA Championship kept fans on the edge of their seats and his Intercontinental Championship match with "Macho Man" Randy Savage is considered by many the greatest match in WrestleMania annals. Now for the first time ever on DVD, fans can relive the career of Ricky Steamboat. This 3-DVD set has a biographical documentary feature on Steamboat's life, as well as some of the biggest matches of his career."

credit: Matt Boone / wrestlezone.com

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 07:32:09 AM »
Okay…
I realize this will sound very “smark-ish,” but WTF???

Did they have to go with a picture of the stupidest gimmick Ricky ever worked?
There are plenty of excellent pictures of Rick holding the WWF I.C. belt or the NWA/WCW world title.

Is this one more example of Vince exercising his power for his own amusement and/or to spite his talent?
It also makes me wonder what kind of footage we’re going to see on the disc.   

I have Ricky’s excellent RFV shoot interview, which has his comments along with some old Carolina match footage.
Unfortunately, all of the WWF/WCW archives will only be available through WWE.
I’ll probably buy this regardless.

I refuse to wear the T-shirt.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 08:17:01 AM »
Okay…
I realize this will sound very “smark-ish,” but WTF???

Did they have to go with a picture of the stupidest gimmick Ricky ever worked?
There are plenty of excellent pictures of Rick holding the WWF I.C. belt or the NWA/WCW world title.

Is this one more example of Vince exercising his power for his own amusement and/or to spite his talent?
It also makes me wonder what kind of footage we’re going to see on the disc.   

I have Ricky’s excellent RFV shoot interview, which has his comments along with some old Carolina match footage.
Unfortunately, all of the WWF/WCW archives will only be available through WWE.
I’ll probably buy this regardless.

I refuse to wear the T-shirt.

Vince had annomosity to the fact that Ricky Steamboat garnered most of his success with JCP / NWA. NOT WWE/WWF. Plus there is the time he won the IC title and then left shortly after to be with his wife and newborn son. Vince is a tyrant and will TRY to bury any wrestler / employee that he feels "crossed him".

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 08:50:51 AM »
Yeah, it wasn’t the best timing when Ricky asked for a reduced travel schedule.
In those days, all the guys with belts worked the most shows.
It’s understandable why Vince was upset.

I really believe that Honky Tonk Man was supposed to serve as a transitional I.C. champ as well as a slap in the face to Steamboat, who had to job to such a mediocre worker.
But, they kept the belt on him for quite a while.
What Honky lacked in ring skills, he made up for with ring psychology. He knew how to make the fans pissed off, and could draw good heat on the mic.

I guess the dragon costume complete with scales and tail was the second great attempt to scar Steamboat’s ego.
In retrospect, while being incredibly tacky by any standards, it wasn’t any worse than the other WWF gimmicks at that time.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 04:55:29 AM »
Yeah, it wasn’t the best timing when Ricky asked for a reduced travel schedule.
In those days, all the guys with belts worked the most shows.
It’s understandable why Vince was upset.

I really believe that Honky Tonk Man was supposed to serve as a transitional I.C. champ as well as a slap in the face to Steamboat, who had to job to such a mediocre worker.
But, they kept the belt on him for quite a while.
What Honky lacked in ring skills, he made up for with ring psychology. He knew how to make the fans pissed off, and could draw good heat on the mic.

I guess the dragon costume complete with scales and tail was the second great attempt to scar Steamboat’s ego.
In retrospect, while being incredibly tacky by any standards, it wasn’t any worse than the other WWF gimmicks at that time.

The dragon complete with scales and the fire throwing was a slap in the face to Ricky Steamboat. As was the major job in the middle of the ring against Greg Valentine at WM4 in the WWE championship tournament eventually won by Savage. From what I remember it was Butch Reed that was supposed to win the IC title but he no-showed the event which lead to Honky winning. I also believe that no one expected Honky to be a good champion but he sure as hell was and he prooved them all wrong.

Vince has major issues (he needs fucking help if you ask me) and axes to grind with any star that he hasn't created. Ricky Steamboat garnered his best success in the NWA/JCP organization. Not WWE/WWF. He has signed big stars time and time again only to build them up for 3 months and then bury them by making them lose to his WWE/WWF born stars. Examples of this are Vader, Ric Flair, Bam Bam Bigelow, One Man Gang (Akeem??? WTF???), Barry Windam (The Stalker??? Come on...gimme a break), Terry Funk (Chainsaw Charlie??? Ridiculous), Dusty Rhodes (polka dots and Aunt Jamima as his manger??? Really???), Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard, Lex Luger and the list goes on.  

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 06:12:42 AM »
Ha!
They should put all those guys together on one disc for that reason.
Then, Akeem could finally say he appeared with Flair!

In one of his books, Foley claimed that the “Chainsaw Charlie” gimmick was Funk’s idea, and to this day he has no idea what Funk was thinking or why.

I like to think that Flair would eventually have ended up in a program with Hogan had he stuck around longer.
You can thank Jim Herd for that.
At least Ric’s Mania match with Savage was of a worthy caliber.

I believe the Brain Busters left after growing tired of Vince not delivering on promises made.
Did you tell me that?
I know Heenan said that Tully was pissed at him for a long time because of kayfabed comments Bobby made on air shortly after the BB’s departure.

Remember when Barry Windham was the “Widow Maker?”
NWA champion Harley Race became the “King” and they put him in that match with JYD at WM III.