Author Topic: Protein shake in the middle of the night.  (Read 9561 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Protein shake in the middle of the night.
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:50:15 AM »
How many of you wake up in the middle of the night and down a protein shake? How important is doing that? I keep hearing how your body goes catabolic at night because you go so long without eating. On the other hand I also hear that it's good for your body to have a break from food and have some time to for processing and elimination. It does seem more "natural" not to eat in the middle of the night but of course it's not natural to carry a lot of muscle so I'm not sure.

io856

Re: Protein shake in the middle of the night.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:51:43 AM »
I have always had calcium casienate before bed which has about a 6 hour release? but beef is my nighttime solid meal so that has a 24 hour release of aminos...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 01:53:03 AM »
Getting up in the middle of the night to eat = hardcore to the extreme.
No doubt about it...

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 01:54:12 AM »
Getting up in the middle of the night to eat = hardcore to the extreme.
what if you accident get up to pea and get drink anyways,,,ALL PROTEIN

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 01:54:30 AM »
Getting up in the middle of the night to eat = hardcore stupid to the extreme.

fixed.

If you have a solid meal in the evening, you don't need to worry. Besides, no one loses muscle because they get catabolic overnight....  ::) ::)

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 01:56:08 AM »
BTW, creating an insuline spike stops the GH, and in the night the body mostly burns fat, so if you are not EXTREMLY low in bf, there's no way you should get up in the night to eat or drink.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 01:57:52 AM »
waste of good sleep

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 01:58:27 AM »
Lol

Pro bodybuilders don't even do this

Ridiculous

jayfromeurope

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 02:02:09 AM »
if you are scared of catobolic during night, just take a protein shake before going to sleep but take "Caseine" wich is slowly released into your body.

A meal during the middle of the night is stupid and not good for you. The night is the only moment where your body is relaxing.

Hope this help
J

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 02:03:55 AM »
i like having muscles but i wont go that far

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 02:07:04 AM »
i like having muscles but i wont go that far

Is that why you get BrianX's mom to make and fetch the shake for you, Mars?

Switznegger

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 02:08:26 AM »
Like everything BB try it and find out for yourself.Have done it in the past and works well with weight gain.Like going from 245 to 270 Not a bad idea.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 02:13:28 AM »

Don't do it. 

Muscle only grows when you're sleeping, so uninterrupted sleep is far more important than trying to get an extra protein in. 

If you happen to stay up late one night, sure, grab a shake before bed even if you already had all your meals for the day, but don't get up 3-4 hours later trying to be hardcore, because you're doing more harm than good.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 02:15:01 AM »
if you are scared of catobolic during night, just take a protein shake before going to sleep but take "Caseine" wich is slowly released into your body.

A meal during the middle of the night is stupid and not good for you. The night is the only moment where your body is relaxing.

Hope this help

Caseine proetin shake?? What a waste of money. Eat a good meal in the evening, that's more than enough.

Don't do it. 

Muscle only grows when you're sleeping, so uninterrupted sleep is far more important than trying to get an extra protein in. 

If you happen to stay up late one night, sure, grab a shake before bed even if you already had all your meals for the day, but don't get up 3-4 hours later trying to be hardcore, because you're doing more harm than good.

x2

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 02:17:35 AM »
BTW, creating an insuline spike stops the GH, and in the night the body mostly burns fat, so if you are not EXTREMLY low in bf, there's no way you should get up in the night to eat or drink.

Even if it's just pure protein. No carbs.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 02:18:52 AM »

sure, protein creates an insuline response as well, not only carbs.

besides, most protein shakes have a decent amount of carbs in them.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 02:20:38 AM »
Lol

Pro bodybuilders don't even do this

Ridiculous

On one of Jay's DVDs he said that he eats 10 times a day and gets up twice during the night to eat.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 02:21:57 AM »

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0887/is_1_24/ai_n8968070/

Glycemic and insulin response to popular protein supplements

Carbohydrate, the primary fuel source for the body, is necessary to support prolonged physical activity. Intake of carbohydrate during exercise enhances endurance exercise performance, however, research evaluating pre-exercise carbohydrate feedings has shown that elevated insulin levels in response to the carbohydrate causes declines in blood glucose and inhibits lipid mobilization during subsequent exercise in some populations. Additionally, protein consumption has also been shown to elicit increases in plasma insulin concentrations.

In an attempt to support or improve exercise performance, many individuals choose to supplement their diets with nutritional bars and drinks. However, a protein nutritional bar or drink containing high amounts of protein and little carbohydrate would not provide fuel for exercise. Additionally, the lack or carbohydrate and the potential insulin response may impair exercise performance. Currently only limited data are available regarding the glycemic and insulinemic responses to common servings of many food supplements, such as protein nutritional bars and drinks. Therefore, researchers have valuated the glucose and insulin response to a 50-g glucose feeding, a high-glycemic-index food (white bagel) and a known low-glycemic-index food (peanuts), and a solid (protein bar) and a liquid protein (protein drink) supplement.

Twelve healthy, nondiabeteic male subjects were recruited from a university population. On the first visit to the laboratory, the subject's height, weight, and body composition were measured. Body composition was measured using air-displacement plethysmography. The subjects reported to the laboratory on five separate occasions in a 12 hr fasting state. The subjects were instructed to keep a detailed 24 hr dietary record and to repeat this diet before each of the successive experimental trials. A resting blood sample was drawn. After the first blood sample, the subject consumed the prescribed feeding. Subsequent blood samples were drawn at 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 75, 0, and 120 minutes. Blood samples were analyzed for glucose and insulin concentrations. Total energy content for glucose in the glucose drink, white bagel, peanuts, protein bar, and protein drink were 200, 240, 240, 250, and 22 kcal, respectively.

The area under the curve for glucose was greater in the glucose drink group vs. all treatment groups except the white bagel group) P < .05). At 20 to 40 minutes, plasma glucose was elevated in the glucose drink group vs. the peanuts group, the protein bar group, and the protein drink group (P < .05). The glycemic response was greater in the glucose drink group vs. the white bagel group at 30 min (8.1 [+ or -] 0.5 vs. 6.5 [+ or -] 0.3 mmol/L, respectively) (P < .05). The area under the curve for insulin was lower in the peanuts group vs. all treatment groups (P < .05). Insulin concentrations peaked at 40 min in the glucose drink group (285.5 [+ or -] 18.3 pmol) and was similar in all but the peanuts group (130.5 [+ or -] 14.3 pmol) (P < .05).

This study shows that a common serving of a commercially available protein supplement resulted in a marked insulin response with no glycemic response because of the lack of carbohydrate content. Consumers need to be educated that the way these products are marketed could be misleading.

A. Parcell, M. Drummond, D. Christopherson, et al. Glycemic and insulinemic responses to protein supplements. J Am Diet Assoc; 104:1800-1804 (December, 2004). [Correspondence: Allen C. Parcell, PhD, Brigham Young University, Human Performance Research Center, 120-E Richards Building, Provo, UT 84602. E-mail: allen_parcell@byu.edu].

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 02:23:31 AM »
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6389060

Type II diabetic subjects were given 50 g protein, 50 g glucose, or 50 g glucose with 50 g protein as a single meal in random sequence. The plasma glucose and insulin response was determined over the subsequent 5 h. The plasma glucose area above the baseline following a glucose meal was reduced 34% when protein was given with the glucose. When protein was given alone, the glucose concentration remained stable for 2 h and then declined. The insulin area following glucose was only modestly greater than with a protein meal (97 +/- 35, 83 +/- 19 microU X h/ml, respectively). When glucose was given with protein, the mean insulin area was considerably greater than when glucose or protein was given alone (247 +/- 33 microU X h/ml). When various amounts of protein were given with 50 g glucose, the insulin area response was essentially first order. Subsequently, subjects were given 50 g glucose or 50 g glucose with 50 g protein as two meals 4 h apart in random sequence. The insulin areas were not significantly different for each meal but were higher when protein + glucose was given. After the second glucose meal the plasma glucose area was 33% less than after the first meal. Following the second glucose + protein meal the plasma glucose area was markedly reduced, being only 7% as large as after the first meal. These data indicate that protein given with glucose will increase insulin secretion and reduce the plasma glucose rise in at least some type II diabetic persons.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 02:23:43 AM »
i wake up 3am and do cardio

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 02:30:14 AM »
So, eat peanuts then. Cool.

BTW, I didn't mean waking up in the middle of the night with an alarm clock and disrupt your sleep. If you're drinking enough water should get up at least once at night to pee. That when you down the shake.

BTW, I've never done this because it doesn't seem natural amd I agree with DK that it might interfere with gh release and possibly upset other biological processes that suppose to go on during sleep.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 02:31:02 AM »
i wake up 3am and do cardio

I know THAT kind of cardio.  ;D ;D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 02:37:21 AM »

My greatest fear is having to wake up in the middle of the night to take a dump.
I hate the State.

ibfasport

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 02:50:07 AM »
at hr 12, after the protein shake a fellatio for level of testosterone  ;D

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 03:36:03 AM »
I have always had calcium casienate before bed which has about a 6 hour release? but beef is my nighttime solid meal so that has a 24 hour release of aminos...

you must be huge.  ::)