Author Topic: If a shelter dog has been evaluated as a non risk.....  (Read 4754 times)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: If a shelter dog has been evaluated as a non risk.....
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 11:53:54 AM »
People don't know shit.

Dogs RARELY go from actual, and when I say actual I mean not a douchebag THINKING thats what they were doing, but ACTUAL playing...to a VIOLENT attack.  Dogs who are underfed, under exercised and under trained are prime candidates for this scenario...and its sitll unlikely.

I agree.  I saw this all the time in NYC with people on the street with dogs with those damned retractable leashes (those things should be banned/outlawed/shoved up their inventors ass in my opinion).   The dogs would walk up to each other, then go stiff legged.  One would play stance and the other would pin its ears back and raise its tail.  The owners would coo----aww look, they are playing.  The play stancing dog would then raise up when it realized that the other dog wasn't bullshittting.  From there it'd go headlong into a dog fight---the whole time clearly visible it was going to happen, and the humans cooing like their dogs were babies. 

Then when they get the dogs apart, they are like "its amazing, it just happened out of nowhere", "my dog isn't aggressive" or some other bullshit because they don't want to believe that their dog may actually act like a dog and they are too stubborn (or stupid) to admit that they should have seen what was happening happen.  Itsa matter of stupid human pride and stubborness. 

As far as this woman working in the shelter for years..... I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean much to me, especially considering some of the people I know who work in animal shelters.   Their hearts are in the right place and they really do care for the animals, but I can name half a dozen off the top of my head who are lacking in animal sense.  You'd think they'd learn something working in a shelter for years, but apparently they don't. 

Its a shame the woman got hurt.  I feel for her, but I also think that there is something HUGE missing in what we know about this story. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 11:56:16 AM »

I can agree that their MAY be something more to this story, but to say the person deserved it and is a dumbshit based on what information was given is just really unfeeling and low, IMO. 

And I personally can't think of any reason that dog should have lived as has been suggested, again going by what information was in that article.  If it turns out she went in to get the dog and started kicking or beating it and then it attacked her, then it might have deserved a chance. Otherwise even if it turns out that she was a little lax on the precautions she took, any dog that can do that unprovoked should be put down, it is just not worth the risk or time when there are other dogs that could be adopted out.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 12:01:41 PM »

I can agree that their MAY be something more to this story, but to say the person deserved it and is a dumbshit based on what information was given is just really unfeeling and low, IMO. 

Is it better to say you think she did something stupid?   ;)  ;D

Flower I thinkn I finally understand what you are saying----I think---but at the same time, I stand by what I have posted.  I just find it really hard to believe this dog attacked to that degree without some type of change in behavior/action that could have been noticed.  The woman mauled may have missed the signals, which in my opinion puts her partially at fault.  Using my own prior actions as an example, its stupid to put yourself in a risky situation with a dog that may bite you---be it a cocker or a great dane or a Tosa.   I've been stupid several times through the years and will probably continue being stupid as long as I work with dogs. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 12:20:25 PM »

Is it better to say you think she did something stupid?   ;)  ;D

Flower I thinkn I finally understand what you are saying----I think---but at the same time, I stand by what I have posted.  I just find it really hard to believe this dog attacked to that degree without some type of change in behavior/action that could have been noticed.  The woman mauled may have missed the signals, which in my opinion puts her partially at fault.  Using my own prior actions as an example, its stupid to put yourself in a risky situation with a dog that may bite you---be it a cocker or a great dane or a Tosa.   I've been stupid several times through the years and will probably continue being stupid as long as I work with dogs. 

even if she (or you) did something that might have been stupid, if it results in your being seriously maimed or hurt and is not an outright dumb act on your part that you should have foreseen your maiming, there would be no reason to be called a dumbshit that deserved it, especially when the person is someone who is and has tried to do some good. 

But after reading your and temper's posts, I almost feel that shelters should not even exist and animals should just be put down, because these incidents are going to happen sometimes, you can't staff them with animal behaviorists who will be the only ones to have contact with the animal, and if people are going to be at fault and a dumbshit for trying to take a dog for a walk that has never shown any problems in 6 weeks at the shelter, then why even bother and put yourself at risk?
  :-\

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 01:21:56 PM »
even if she (or you) did something that might have been stupid, if it results in your being seriously maimed or hurt and is not an outright dumb act on your part that you should have foreseen your maiming, there would be no reason to be called a dumbshit that deserved it, especially when the person is someone who is and has tried to do some good. 

But after reading your and temper's posts, I almost feel that shelters should not even exist and animals should just be put down, because these incidents are going to happen sometimes, you can't staff them with animal behaviorists who will be the only ones to have contact with the animal, and if people are going to be at fault and a dumbshit for trying to take a dog for a walk that has never shown any problems in 6 weeks at the shelter, then why even bother and put yourself at risk?
  :-\

Flower, if you haven't done it, I strongly suggest you spend some time volunteering at local animal shelters.   It'll be an eye opening experience for you. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2007, 01:27:09 PM »

Flower, if you haven't done it, I strongly suggest you spend some time volunteering at local animal shelters.   It'll be an eye opening experience for you. 

I honestly don't think I could, I would be too sad.   :(    that's why I think those that do should be respected for doing it and apparent risks that come with the job.

I tried fostering and ended up keeping her, I suck at that, they'd all come home with me!   

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2007, 01:31:32 PM »

I tried fostering and ended up keeping her, I suck at that, they'd all come home with me!   

yeah I'm the same way,I'd have a hard time disassociating myself from dogs that have to live in a cage with an uncertain future

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2007, 06:25:33 PM »

HBO did a documentary on a no kill shelter, somewhere in NY.  I don't remember the name of it or the docu but it is good.  The owner of the shelter has her heart in the right place and a decent head on her shoulders.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2007, 08:25:55 PM »
HBO did a documentary on a no kill shelter, somewhere in NY.  I don't remember the name of it or the docu but it is good.  The owner of the shelter has her heart in the right place and a decent head on her shoulders.

the hipocrisy of some "no kill" shelters bothers me.  I've worked with a couple of them in the midwest where the owner/manager  literally asked us to find any sort of a medical problem with the dogs so that they could be euthanized without violating the shelters "no kill" policy.  To me, it would have been better if they just admitted they euthanized dogs they couldn't adopt.  Instead they hid behind this veil of "medical necessity". 

I'm serious when I say I think that animal professionals, especially veterinarians and vet techs MUST be required to spend a month doing euthanasias at a high volume high kill rate animal shelter at some point during their education.  I think they shouldn't be allowed to opt outof it either because of some stupid moral argument----something students are doing across the country at different schools with nonsurvival teaching surgeries.  I also recommend that others do it if they doubt what I'm talking about.   Killing 30-40 dogs and cats a day simply because someone else doesn't want them and you know you can't take them all home will eventually get to you.  If it doesnt' you're fucked up.  Not only that, it'll make you look at your own dogs and humans very, very differently. 

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 09:10:13 PM »
the hipocrisy of some "no kill" shelters bothers me.  I've worked with a couple of them in the midwest where the owner/manager  literally asked us to find any sort of a medical problem with the dogs so that they could be euthanized without violating the shelters "no kill" policy.  To me, it would have been better if they just admitted they euthanized dogs they couldn't adopt.  Instead they hid behind this veil of "medical necessity". 

I'm serious when I say I think that animal professionals, especially veterinarians and vet techs MUST be required to spend a month doing euthanasias at a high volume high kill rate animal shelter at some point during their education.  I think they shouldn't be allowed to opt outof it either because of some stupid moral argument----something students are doing across the country at different schools with nonsurvival teaching surgeries.  I also recommend that others do it if they doubt what I'm talking about.   Killing 30-40 dogs and cats a day simply because someone else doesn't want them and you know you can't take them all home will eventually get to you.  If it doesnt' you're fucked up.  Not only that, it'll make you look at your own dogs and humans very, very differently. 

Help control the pet population, have your pet spayed or neutered...

so true heh.