Author Topic: Shields fight  (Read 5300 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Shields fight
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 05:29:15 PM »
You need jiu jitsu lessons. MMA isn't for your entertainment!  ::)
??? I'm a watcher, not a doer. Besides, Jew Jitsu is only good if you can get the other guy on the ground. :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 03:33:30 AM »
The bottom line is that not losing a fight is different than winning a fight. Shields has won a ton of fights simply by bear hugging his opponent and not doing anything remotely close to winning. He lucks out on the fact that most judges are utterly clueless when it comes to scoring his lay and pray man on man makeout sessions. In PRIDE he would have lost 90% of his fights or went home with no money for pulling the bitch shit he does. Insulting me won't change reality. If ( by some miracle) he gets a title shot against GSP, or even a match against anyone in the divison who is agressive and has a decent ground game, he will get completely destroyed. Kampmann is at the bottom of the division and he arguably won the fight. Put Sheilds against a contender and he will fold like a cheap suit.

Not losing a fight is called draw. Shield's was judged the winner. Shields "has won a ton of fights" by controlling and dominating his fighter. Every fighter has their own particular style they've developed through years of training and their particular strengths they exploit. Crocop had his round house kicks, Liddell had his stalking style and looping right hand, Couture is primarily ground and pound. Shield's being primarily a Jiu-Jitsu stylist inevitably takes you down with a single leg and mounts you. Submissions, in an MMA (and no gi) match are limited. It use to be that you strike from the mount forcing your opponent to turn on his stomach giving his back setting you up for a choke. Back in the day, virtually 95% of the fights ended this way. Without a gi going for the arm bar is too risky (unless you're Rickson) because if you miss it, which is very easy to do with a skilled fighter not wearing a gi, you lose everything and find yourself on your back. Again, no problem in tournament Jiu-Jitsu but a big problem when your opponent can start raining down blows. Submitting someone with an Americana in the mount is virtually impossible against a skilled fighter. So the only thing left is to rain down blows, and now that Jake is in the UFC maybe he'll start dropping some elbows. One thing that most impressed with Kampmann was how skilled he was on the ground. Whereas Dan Henderson, the only fighter to hold two titles concurrently in a major MMA venue and an Olympic level wrestler and far from washed up was utterly helpless in Shield's mount, Kampmann was not only always able to escape but never really allowed Shield's to establish position to set up a submission or a strong enough base to strike effectively.

So that's how the fight went. Shields taking Kampmann to the ground, mounting, Kampmann escaping, repeat. None of the strikes on either side took any toll, none of Kampmann's gutsy submission attempts ever came close.

No one, including Dana White and Shield's himself, were pleased or impressed with his first UFC performance. It seems like not many, if anyone, have made impressive debuts in the UFC despite being successful in other organizations including Rua and Rampage. If it was a five round fight I believe Shield's would have lost. But it wasn't and he won.

You may not like Shield's fighting style but it has served him well for during his 11 year career and his virtually unmatched 15 consecutive victories. You may think he is undeserving of a title shot but other than Jon Fitch who is more worthy? Hardy got a title shot and the only fairly big name fighter he beat was Swick. The last big name fighter Koscheck  beat was Diego Sanchez back in '07 which already earned him a title shot which he lost. Koscheck's last win was a decision victory over Paul Daley (who beat Swick) whom Shields submitted handily in the second round. Compare either of those fighters, Hardy and Koscheck, and the rest of the 170 lb class fight records, to that of Shields and tell me Shields is not worthy of a title shot. Put your emotions and personal feelings aside.        

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 10:09:52 AM »
I guess you also missed those 3 knees that Kampmann dropped Shields with... on 2 separate occasions.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
I guess you also missed those 3 knees that Kampmann dropped Shields with... on 2 separate occasions.

You need to re-watch the fight.  It was one knee.  The other one was a glance as Jake dropped levels for the takedown. 
w

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 02:01:08 PM »
I misspoke when I said that submissions in MMA (and no gi) are limited. They are limited a lot when you compare it to wearing a gi but in this case I meant to say submissions from the mount position. Going for the arm is too risky and the Americana is pretty tough to lock on against an opponent at, say, a purple belt level. So unless he gives you his back for a choke (although there is a choke form the front that sometimes works) all that's left is hold position and drop some bombs. Kampmann was surprisingly good at getting out of the mount position and just great on the ground overall. 

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 02:04:29 PM »
You need to re-watch the fight.  It was one knee.  The other one was a glance as Jake dropped levels for the takedown. 

I don't know why he cares. According to him, it's all fixed anyway. Refs and judges are all paid off. With that perspective to argue or comment about anything regarding how fights turn out is simply moronic.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »
I don't know why he cares. According to him, it's all fixed anyway. Refs and judges are all paid off. With that perspective to argue or comment about anything regarding how fights turn out is simply moronic.

QFT...lol.
w