Author Topic: Ron Paul and Americas economy  (Read 4518 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Re: Ron Paul and Americas economy
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by constitutionalist. If you mean "originalist" .... that's not a recommendation in my book.  Originalists appear to think that what worked in the eighteenth century should work for a country of 300 million with a $14 trillion GDP.  Originalists also think that a constitution is a code, which it is not. 

As the greatest supreme court justice john marshall said, let the judges not forget that it is a constitution they are expounding. He didn't say "applying" which is quite significant. It's not some rigid document that is stuck in the eighteenth century. 

Why are Bush and Ron Paul similar?  Well, they both like talking about complex things as if they're simple.  Granted, we could use more simplicity in some areas, but in a world as big as ours, that's not always going to be possible.  Both of them appear to be equally naive about that, albeit in different ways.

Well, since the REpublican party isn't working for him, he might as well be an independent.  it's not like he would have had any less of a chance at the presidential nomination.  And he does want to be a political icon.  Why else does one run for president? 

Ron Paul, naive?  lol

This coming from the guy that thinks taking troops from one part of the world and putting them in  another is going to somehow cost less, (in bodies and money), then having them in Iraq and will allow Obama the financial freedom to implamnet his extra spending for more government bureaucracies. .. This coming from the guy that thinks Obama is some civil rights prophet, but can't explain why Obama supported the Patriot Act and National ID cards for citizens, two items that trample all over American civil liberties.

Obama can embrace a racist pastor and calmus has no problems excusing it but thinks Ron Pauls views are skewed.  ::)

Anyone that would even entertain the thought that Obama's 37 minutes of rhetoric and  Martin Luther Kings speech are somehow in the same league is ludicrous. No one will remember Obamas speech 2 months from now.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 05:48:07 PM »
RP isn't saying that fixing the economy will be simple.  Common sense will tell you that what he proposes (no US military presence abroad, heavily decreased government) will save money, no matter if it's 1808 or 2008.  Complex problems are best tackled by going back to basics.  Bush doesn't have a clue. 

He wants government to stop "running" the economy and the welfare state, which I don't agree with at all. 

A monster economy like ours needs sophisticated regulation, and while we have a decent reg system,  it needs to be made better. 

About the welfare state. I know everyone on here but me (and maybe War-Horse) believes it should be abolished.... My dad is a radiation oncologist, and he used to take me in with him on some Saturdays, when he saw patients who couldn't afford to see him during the week.  After seeing all that suffering, there is no way I can support the abolition of governmental support for the indigent.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 06:04:47 PM »
He wants government to stop "running" the economy and the welfare state, which I don't agree with at all. 

A monster economy like ours needs sophisticated regulation, and while we have a decent reg system,  it needs to be made better. 

About the welfare state. I know everyone on here but me (and maybe War-Horse) believes it should be abolished.... My dad is a radiation oncologist, and he used to take me in with him on some Saturdays, when he saw patients who couldn't afford to see him during the week.  After seeing all that suffering, there is no way I can support the abolition of governmental support for the indigent.

He didn't say he would just cut off welfare for people because he understands that people are dependant on those programs. The people need to be weened of slowly, so he offers the next generation to opt out of those programs willingly, (not rely on having social security, etc.), and slowly phase them out. It's simple, we have two choices, either we get out of welfare entitlment programs by choice or we wait untill the money runs out and panic.

I think Ron Paul knows a little more about the economy then you.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 11:30:09 PM »

I think Ron Paul knows a little more about the economy then you.

And I'd be willing to bet he doesn't.  ;D  However, he does know a lot more about "female troubles" and delivering babies than i do.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 12:24:05 AM »
And I'd be willing to bet he doesn't.  ;D  However, he does know a lot more about "female troubles" and delivering babies than i do.

Economics and the female reproductive system go hand in hand. What school did you go to.  ::)

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 12:33:59 AM »
Economics and the female reproductive system go hand in hand. What school did you go to.  ::)

Clearly, not the right one.  >:(

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 06:00:10 AM »
I have a doctor's appointment today. I'll be sure to ask him about what the Fed should do.   ::)

If your doctor is anything like Ron Paul, then by all means ask him.

Ron Paul is no ordinary doctor. 

Being an MD for so long, Ron Paul knows about the health care system. 

Having served in the military, he has experience with that too, unlike many politicians who have never served but are eager to send troops over seas. 

Unlike many politicians, Ron Paul knows the US constitution well, and he knows US history too.

Because he is fascinated with economics, Ron Paul has taught himself more about the US and world economy than your average politician cares to know.

He has served in congress for a long time, so he knows much more about laws and politics than your average doctor.

Yeah, I'd say Ron Paul knows what he's talking about.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 06:47:42 AM »
Ron Paul was a flight surgeon in the US airforce from 1963-1968.  He served in congress from the mid 1970s until 1984.  Returned to OB/GYN practice.  Was then elected to the house of representatives in 1997 and has served the congress for the last 11 years.  During his first 10yrs in congress, Congressman Paul served on the House Banking committee, where he was a strong advocate for sound monetary policy and an outspoken critic of the Federal Reserve’s inflationary measures.  He presently serves on the House Committee on Financial Services and the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. He advocates a dramatic reduction in the size of the federal government, its spending and a return to constitutional principles.

Here are a few facts based on congressional voting records:

He has never voted to raise taxes.
He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.
He voted against the Patriot Act.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.
He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2008, 06:54:58 AM »
calmus, you cannot discredit this guy based on his experience.

You can absolutely apply constitutional principles to todays world.  It doesn't always have to be specific, as many of these are principles.  These would of course be interpreted in context with todays issues and time but the principles are the same.  Hardly anyone agrees 100% with any candidate, but the majority of his ideas are sound and fit with common sense and responsibility.

I've also had experiences in inner city free clinics and have seen a lot of everything...from heart breaking cases that make you poor your heart out; to people that have very good access to care but are too careless and irresponsible to show up for appointments even though their care was free; to angry people who were extremely demanding and insulting even though most of us were volunteering to be there.  A fair % of the people had an attitude of entitlement that surprised me at the time.  In some of these clinics you can clearly see a good % of people who don't have any motivation or initiative and choose to remain on assistance programs because they are too lazy and unmotivated to work.  I saw people lining the streets all day long.  For the % of people we did care for that really needed the extra help and assistance...that made the whole experience gratifying and rewarding to me.  The point of this is that we must have accountibility for handouts and assistance programs so we change behaviors and work ethic.

In case you don't know what I do...I have a bit in common with Dr. Paul.