Author Topic: suggestions for lagging parts  (Read 2154 times)

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
  • 1 DiRty Dawg eat dawg world...
suggestions for lagging parts
« on: September 04, 2007, 06:48:49 AM »
I've been training since last November with good results in my traps and shoulders, chest, back, tris and abs.....my bis are horrible, from the outside they are not that bad, but flexing from the inside, i cry when i look at them, what gives? Any ideas that will help?

My legs, i train twice a week, once heavy with low reps and another light with high reps. Thats for quads hams and calves, my hams are responding, my quads keep getting more and more shape, i have striations on my quads and my calves when flexed are diamonds, but i can't get any size on the damn things, i don't know what to do.

For the record, when i trained years back, i had the same issues, chest, shoulders and back come right up and everything else is sleeping...

it appreciate some assistance...

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
Re: suggestions for lagging parts
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 07:36:07 AM »
If you have been training for less than a year, I wouldn't worry about any specific lagging bodypart.  Your entire body is still 'lagging'.

Part of your problem might be all that 'separation'.  It's tough to really put on muscle at very low bodyfat.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 09:48:39 AM »
just keep at it. last then a year is to short of time to make  improvement on a person that just started lifting. I would also say don't follow what some people do to shock a bodypart to grow.  I say that b/c its too intenis for  you to handle in this point.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 04:29:49 PM »
.... i have striations on my quads ....

eat more

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 06:54:34 PM »
give yourself more time and stay commited

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 08:18:21 PM »
give yourself more time and stay commited

Generic, not very original.

Given the fact he's already been through this, advice that's more substantial and original would be better.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 03:43:04 AM »
I've been training since last November with good results in my traps and shoulders, chest, back, tris and abs.....my bis are horrible, from the outside they are not that bad, but flexing from the inside, i cry when i look at them, what gives? Any ideas that will help?

My legs, i train twice a week, once heavy with low reps and another light with high reps. Thats for quads hams and calves, my hams are responding, my quads keep getting more and more shape, i have striations on my quads and my calves when flexed are diamonds, but i can't get any size on the damn things, i don't know what to do.

For the record, when i trained years back, i had the same issues, chest, shoulders and back come right up and everything else is sleeping...

it appreciate some assistance...

can you give us an idea what you do for biceps and for legs?  please post ecercises, number of set and number of reps, then we can try to give you a complete answer

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 06:12:02 AM »
as of about 2 months ago i switched my training to a workout i found in flex mag

I hit each body part twice per week

Bis workout #1

Heavy seated incline DB curls
3 sets of 8 reps
Heavy standing EZ bar curls
3 sets of 6 reps

Bis workout #2

Standing alternating DB curls
3 sets of 15 reps
Preacher curls
3 sets of 12 reps

Legs workout #1
Extensions for warm up
Heavy squats
3 sets of 6 reps (2 warm up sets w 135 before hand)

Heavy leg press
3 sets of 8 reps

Heavy leg ext
3 sets of 10 reps

Legs workout #2
Light leg ext 3 sets 15 reps

Squats
3 sets 12 reps

hack squats
3 sets 12 reps

leg ext 3 sets 12 reps

I rotate my schedule so i manage to get in two workouts per body parts per week... When i say heavy, it's heavy for me, remember i'm only training about 10 months.

let me know....thanks.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 08:35:39 AM »
Might start by reducing the total amount of direct bicep sets by at least half. Four to six max sets of biceps work may offer a better chance of results for most men. Make the exercises serious,with the attention to heavier weight. Cheating (the whole sets, not just the last few reps)) BB curls and DB incline curls are something to consider. Keeping the reps between 5 and 9, twice a week as your doing now. Might include the reverse BB curl rather than regular BB curls. A very overlooked bicep builder. Can alternate sets with regular BB curls.

From time to time (probably once a week) try running the rack, starting with 10lb DB's and working your way up. And than back down again to the original 10lb'ers. 21"s (7-7-7-). The one and one half rep system also have produced results for a lot of stubborn biceps. Either one of these systems have worked very well when applied to the triceps and delts also. In other words, change does a body good. You will get an awesome, unbelieveable pump on whatever body part you focus on, biceps, triceps, delts. 21's work best for delts when doing lateral raises, though some guy's have done DB presses this way. Lots of other ways to increase the time under tension (TUT) for a targeted muscle group. There is the overload system which can build impressive arms, which can be rewarding. Tends to give extra thickness to the bicep/triceps. Some of the heavier work done in a power rack with partial reps.

Genetics do play a role in any lagging part; arms, pec's, calves or which ever. But for the most part, muscle improvement can always be made. The only exception would be muscle shape/inserts and bone structure. Like high lats/calves, flat biceps, shallow upper pec's, etc. Example would be if you were born with narrow shoulders, than the goal would be to increase the muscle mass to it's greatest potential. Good Luck.
F

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 06:15:57 AM »
JPM, thanks a bunch, i'm looking forward to trying something new. what's strange is, i've been taking pics of myself every few months to note changes, when i flex in the mirror, my bis didn't look so bad, when i studied the pic....i wanted to cry, i think i did actually...lol

in any event, i have to train bis today and the 21's sound good, just one question, how many times do i do the 21's and does that complete the bi workout.

years ago i had found a mag with an article that posted matarazzo's bi workout, i did it for a couple month and it worked, i can't remember the thing for the life of me though...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 07:51:18 AM »
One cycle would be preferred or two cycles at the most. Nothing more than that. Remember that moderate weight will be used throughout the extended sets, with a more strict style. Of course the same weight for all the three stages of the curl. And no rest at all between those three stages, keep griping that BB. For the biceps, a BB or EZ bar seems to work better than DB's.  Though standing cable curls have been used rather than a BB.

Some guy's like to start from the middle position to the top and others start from the bottom position to the middle (half way) position. And than a full ROM 7 rep curl to end the set. The other version is to start with a full ROM curl and than keep going with half's,  either top or bottom to half way. No one way is set in stone, be your own judge. To my way of thinking, starting with full ROM curls and than doing the half's would make more sense. Good luck.
F