Author Topic: What Kind Of Vetting Process Did McCain Use?  (Read 1899 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
What Kind Of Vetting Process Did McCain Use?
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:07:24 AM »
A confirmation of my thread yesterday in regard to who this choice appeases and I do think with these guys dancing over the choice, the middle voters McCain had are going to be doing a double take on McCain...

By: Nicole Belle on Saturday, August 30th, 2008 at 9:00 AM - PDT   

As far as I can tell, the only people excited about McCain’s choice of Sarah Palin for the Vice Presidency are the Religious Rights and those paid to cheerlead anything Republicans do, like Sean Hannity.  Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty feel used and abused.  Conservatives like Kathryn Lopez and David Frum think it’s a mistake.  Rove openly pushed Romney and discouraged McCain from considering Lieberman.  James Dobson, in stark contrast, is dancing in the aisles.  So was it the Religious Right (disgraced former head of the Moral Majority, Ralph Reed has reared up very prominently in the McCain campaign recently) that demanded the price of the VP pick to back John McCain?

It’s the only thing that I can put together, given what appears to be a haphazard vetting process.   

On MSNBC this evening Andrea Mitchell reported on how minimal John McCain’s interactions with his choice for vice president, Sarah Palin, have been. According to Mitchell, McCain only met Palin once.   Download | Play   Download | Play  (h/t Heather)

The very day he announces his choice, Alaska State Senator Hollis French announces that Palin is likely to be deposed in the abuse of power investigation, dubbed “Troopergate” in the media.  ABC is reporting that Palin wasn’t even in the running until this week and McCain sent lawyers to Alaska to vet out the Troopergate issue solely. 

Well, that probably wasn’t so smart.  Because Palin has a cozy relationship with indicted and disgraced Republican Senator Ted Stevens.  Luckily, like her Wikipedia entry    Download | Play (h/t BillW), those pages on her state governor pages have been scrubbed.   As have the ones where she praised Barack Obama’s energy policy.  Maybe she’s being so careful because she’s had experience before in hacking in and looking for deleted files on someone else’s computer.

Paul Begala nails the kind of Presidential decision making process that McCain has already proven himself ill-equipped for:

For a man who is 72 years old and has had four bouts with cancer to have chosen someone so completely unqualified to become president is shockingly irresponsible. Suddenly, McCain’s age and health become central issues in the campaign, as does his judgment.

In choosing this featherweight, McCain passed over Tom Ridge, a decorated combat hero, a Cabinet secretary and the former two-term governor of the large, complex state of Pennsylvania.

He passed over Mitt Romney, who ran a big state, Massachusetts; a big company, Bain Capital; and a big event, the Olympics.

He passed over Kay Bailey Hutchison, the Texas senator who is knowledgeable about the military, good on television, and — obviously — a woman.

He passed over Joe Lieberman, his best friend in the Senate and fellow Iraq Kool-Aid drinker.

He passed over former congressman, trade negotiator and budget director Rob Portman.

And he also passed over Mike Huckabee, the governor of Arkansas.

For months, the McCainiacs have said they will run on his judgment and experience. In his first presidential decision, John McCain has shown he is willing to endanger his country, potentially leaving it in the hands of someone who simply has no business being a heartbeat away from the most powerful, complicated, difficult job in human history.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/08/30/what-kind-of-vetting-process-did-mccain-use/

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: What Kind Of Vetting Process Did McCain Use?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 10:14:39 AM »
A cute smile and a nice rack go a long way for Big Mac.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 10:17:40 AM »
The only people complaining about the pick are liberals like Begala, who weren't going to vote for McCain anyway.  

This was a smart choice in part because McCain is a moderate who will appeal to independents (people typically vote the top of the ticket), and partly because it satisfies his conservative base.  

Liberals are really in a tizzy over this.   :)  

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 10:22:07 AM »
The only people complaining about the pick are liberals like Begala, who weren't going to vote for McCain anyway.  

This was a smart choice in part because McCain is a moderate who will appeal to independents (people typically vote the top of the ticket), and partly because it satisfies his conservative base.  

Historically the choice of VP is supplemental to the presidential candidate.

How does Sarah supplement Big Mac's weaknesses?

Why on earth would a far right winger like Sarah appeal to independents?  Is b/c she's a woman?

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »

That's why this board is lit up with Palin threads.  How many were there with Biden.  Besides, how does Obama offer real change with the same ole tired hack for VP??

Who cares how McCain "vetted" her.  He done it to get votes.  Plain and simple.

There is nothing of any real consequence against Palin so these mindless lib/dems have got piss and moan about something.  Let them get it out of their system.
W

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 10:30:15 AM »
A cute smile and a nice rack go a long way for Big Mac.

So your against having a female as Vice President?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 10:33:55 AM »
Historically the choice of VP is supplemental to the presidential candidate.

How does Sarah supplement Big Mac's weaknesses?

Why on earth would a far right winger like Sarah appeal to independents?  Is b/c she's a woman?

She's young, smart, popular, has grassroots experience, and has executive experience.  She's the only person on either ticket with executive experience.  Very nice compliment to McCain.  The fact people ridicule her experience as mayor is astounding.  Most of what affects us on a day-to-day basis happens at the local level, so people in the city council, mayor's offices, state leg, and governor's office are the ones in the best position to know what is going on with most Americans.  That's precisely the kind of experience a person in the White House needs.    

I didn't say Palin would appeal to independents.  I said McCain would appeal to independent and people generally vote the top of the ticket.  

Still, Pain isn't going to turn off independents because she is a conservative.  Conservatives win national elections all the time.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »

That's why this board is lit up with Palin threads.  How many were there with Biden.  Besides, how does Obama offer real change with the same ole tired hack for VP??

Who cares how McCain "vetted" her.  He done it to get votes.  Plain and simple.

There is nothing of any real consequence against Palin so these mindless lib/dems have got piss and moan about something.  Let them get it out of their system.

I agree.  We need to let them vent.  They'll get over it.   :)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 10:36:34 AM »
The reason I posted this was to show others are quickly noticing like I said the other day that this was a choice for the far right.  It is my opinion that this will be a problem for McCain.  Maybe I'm wrong, but with the far right having a major celebration over this, moderates with McCain ARE going to take a second look.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 10:46:13 AM »
I said the other day that this was a choice for the far right. ok.

The far right are mostly very conservative christians.  They/we are very numerous and CAN win elections.  It's kind of obvious that McCain knows this.  He has a history of relegating members of his own party, and religious constituents.  Now take a look at what he's doing: 

1.  Hasn't bad mouth Bush lately.  Still popular with conservs.
2.  Saddleback Forum.  He won a lot of points there.
3.  Now Palin.

McCain knows where the votes are.
W

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 10:59:12 AM »
The fact people ridicule her experience as mayor is astounding.  

BB, I encourage you to go to the official website and see the Mayor duties of the town of 8,000 ppl  - there are 2 duties.

-  attend meetings with no voting power

- attend public events [fairs etc] and like wave at ppl

[seriously]

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 11:00:13 AM »

Who cares how McCain "vetted" her.  He done it to get votes.  Plain and simple.

exactly what I was thinking.  It's nothing more than a gambit to appeal to dissaffected Hilary supporters (i.e any vagina will do) and to the religious right, I guess because she carried a child with Downs Syndrome to term rather than getting an abortion (something plenty of other woman have done too).  

Her "reformer" cred is weak and that's pretty much about it.

Given her age and lack of experience, I think this choice also follows the Bush/Rove model of hiring young inexperienced people because they can be easily influenced/controlled to support an agenda

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 11:05:20 AM »

The far right are mostly very conservative christians.  They/we are very numerous and CAN win elections.  It's kind of obvious that McCain knows this.  He has a history of relegating members of his own party, and religious constituents.  Now take a look at what he's doing: 

1.  Hasn't bad mouth Bush lately.  Still popular with conservs.
2.  Saddleback Forum.  He won a lot of points there.
3.  Now Palin.

McCain knows where the votes are.
The middle is a larger group of voters and he now has them to worry about, bigtime.  McCain already had the far right.  Just because they didn't like some things about McCain doesn't mean they would have bailed, they wouldn't have.  The Evangelicals had already come around to McCain and that's a fact.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 11:09:18 AM »
exactly what I was thinking.  It's nothing more than a gambit to appeal to dissaffected Hilary supporters (i.e any vagina will do) and to the religious right, I guess because she carried a child with Downs Syndrome to term rather than getting an abortion (something plenty of other woman have done too).  

Her "reformer" cred is weak and that's pretty much about it.

Given her age and lack of experience, I think this choice also follows the Bush/Rove model of hiring young inexperienced people because they can be easily influenced/controlled to support an agenda

To make myself more clear- everything a politician does is to get votes.  NOT JUST McCain!

Why doesn't anyone rip on The Messiah on picking "the same ole washington politics" that he says he's going to stop??

McCain picks a woman and everyone screams "HE DONE IT TO GET VOTES!!!!"  Well no s**t.  You guys are freakin' geniuses!!

And one more thing, every politician has "an agenda."  Not just Bush/Rove.  Good lord, man.
W

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 11:15:18 AM »
The middle is a larger group of voters and he now has them to worry about, bigtime.  McCain already had the far right.  Just because they didn't like some things about McCain doesn't mean they would have bailed, they wouldn't have.  The Evangelicals had already come around to McCain and that's a fact.

I'll agree.  But a majority of the McCain voters would be casting a vote against Obama and not necessarily for McCain.
And McCain didn't have ALL the far right; I've even heard talk of some evangelicals not voting at all.  IMO i believe he is turning a lot of that around.  Much to his benefit.
W

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 11:22:09 AM »

To make myself more clear- everything a politician does is to get votes.  NOT JUST McCain!

Why doesn't anyone rip on The Messiah on picking "the same ole washington politics" that he says he's going to stop??

McCain picks a woman and everyone screams "HE DONE IT TO GET VOTES!!!!"  Well no s**t.  You guys are freakin' geniuses!!

And one more thing, every politician has "an agenda."  Not just Bush/Rove.  Good lord, man.

McCain's choice is pure pandering. 

I think if Obama really wanted to use his VP pick to get votes he would have picked Hilary.

It seems more (IMO) that he picked Biden to round out the ticket and because of his experience on geo-political issues and probably because has personal admiration for the guy.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 11:23:31 AM »
He met her once! Thats what just blows me away. Is the next presidential candidate going to pick someone from craigslist?

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »
He met her once! Thats what just blows me away. Is the next presidential candidate going to pick someone from craigslist?

He saw her pic in vogue too.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »
mm72,

Good honesty.  He didn't pick the most qualified person for the USA...  He chose the person most likely to pull the hilary voters.

If he wanted was was best for the COUNTRY, he'd have chosen a person with more experience, or one who solved his shortcomings with the economy.  

Instead, he chose the cheerleader who came right out and said "let's finish what hilary started, girls!"

state-by-state electoral vote polls have had him behind by 100 for the last 3 months.  his team isn't dumb.  They know the numebrs say they'll lose, and it won't be close.  SO, they made a play for hilary voters, leaving behind many people who were more qualified.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »
The group that seems to be peeing their pants with excitement are the evangelicals. 

They don't like Obama and they also don't like McCain.

That little Down's Syndrome baby is something they can all get excited about. 

That's all they'll be thinking about on voting day.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 11:37:57 AM »
The group that seems to be peeing their pants with excitement are the evangelicals. 

They don't like Obama and they also don't like McCain.

That little Down's Syndrome baby is something they can all get excited about. 

That's all they'll be thinking about on voting day.

smart thing . . . having a baby at 43.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 11:40:27 AM »
mm72,

Good honesty.  He didn't pick the most qualified person for the USA...  He chose the person most likely to pull the hilary voters.

If he wanted was was best for the COUNTRY, he'd have chosen a person with more experience, or one who solved his shortcomings with the economy. 

Instead, he chose the cheerleader who came right out and said "let's finish what hilary started, girls!"

state-by-state electoral vote polls have had him behind by 100 for the last 3 months.  his team isn't dumb.  They know the numebrs say they'll lose, and it won't be close.  SO, they made a play for hilary voters, leaving behind many people who were more qualified.

There are other republician women that are pro choice that would have better at getting Clinton supporters.

She will lock up the evangelical vote. That is the most important part for her to do.

Although she is a women it is a small part on why she was picked.

By the sexist comments in this place, there are many men that won't vote for a woman. No matter her qualifications.
Z

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 11:47:13 AM »
There are other republician women that are pro choice that would have better at getting Clinton supporters.

She will lock up the evangelical vote. That is the most important part for her to do.

Although she is a women it is a small part on why she was picked.

By the sexist comments in this place, there are many men that won't vote for a woman. No matter her qualifications.

I've been thinking the same thing.  McCain could have picked many other woman that probalby would have had better appeal to women voters and more importantly much better qualified for the job of VP and president in waiting

Palin was picked becuase of her youngest child.  McCain knew that would appeal to the zombie like masses of Christian voters who can be led around by their nose with a single issue.

Here is what Ralph Reed thinks about Palin:

“They’re beyond ecstatic,” said Ralph Reed, the former head of the Christian Coalition.

Ms. Palin is known to conservatives for opting not to have an abortion after learning that the child she was carrying, her youngest, had Down syndrome. “It is almost impossible to exaggerate how important that is to the conservative faith community,” Mr. Reed said.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 11:57:15 AM »
LOLOL

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 12:06:37 PM »
So your against having a female as Vice President?
I haven't said as much but since you ask, I'm thrilled with the choice.  It demonstrates McCain is driven by his advisers.  She's a horrible choice as VP candidate b/c she's a polarizing rightwing figure with a whiny, nagging style of speaking.