Author Topic: How often do you train?  (Read 21441 times)

tom joad

• Getbig V
Re: How often do you train?
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »
Anyone ever go from using heavy weight and low sets to moderate weight with more volume? 

I do.  Lifted heavier in my 20s & 30s.  My PR days are behind me.  Just want to keep hangin 'n bangin for as long as possible while staying injury-free.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2017, 02:21:53 PM »
Anyone ever go from using heavy weight and low sets to moderate weight with more volume? 

Lifted extremely heavy with reps 3-8 for 22 years now I do reps usually no lower than 15 and as high as a 100.Joints feel better and pumps are ridiculous.nothing lost except strength and couldn’t care less.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2017, 02:24:12 PM »
I do.  Lifted heavier in my 20s & 30s.  My PR days are behind me.  Just want to keep hangin 'n bangin for as long as possible while staying injury-free.

Naturally my strength is going down as I age and also include more cardio. I just feel like I'm not training hard unless I take every set to failure with what is heavy weight for me. On the other hand my brain is telling me I'm one rep away for really messing up my body.  I've seen many outstanding trainers that use moderate weight for lack of a better term muscular endurance training.

In the running world a 400 meter  sprinter certainly trains more intense than a 10K runner but you will never in the history of track hear a 400 meter guy say a 10K runner doesn't train brutally hard. In bodybuilding you hear that all the time. A guy that uses 6 sets to failure a body part will often say the 20 set guy isn't training hard when nothing could be future from the truth.

Maybe I will come to my senses soon and use lighter weight, less rest between sets and let the last set of 4 to 6 sets be the failure set on an exercise.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2017, 02:31:43 PM »
Squat 90kg
Incline bench 70kg
Barbell curl 30kg
Lying tríceps extensión 30kg

You can grow with this weight if your muscle controle is enough

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2017, 02:49:14 PM »
Squat 90kg
Incline bench 70kg
Barbell curl 30kg
Lying tríceps extensión 30kg

You can grow with this weight if your muscle controle is enough

I just changed the way I squat. I realized as I age the shallower the squats were getting. Now instead of putting 275lbs for sets I went down to 170lbs and buried it with control. I was more sore the next day than with the heavier weight.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2017, 02:58:19 PM »
I just changed the way I squat. I realized as I age the shallower the squats were getting. Now instead of putting 275lbs for sets I went down to 170lbs and buried it with control. I was more sore the next day than with the heavier weight.
Controling It with the continuos tentión is the killer squat and build big legs without running Risk of ruining our knees. I should hace noticed It when i was young.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2017, 09:54:36 PM »
6 days a week, machines,, hitting all body parts not looking to gain, just keep what I have a 55

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2017, 11:24:08 PM »
Physically active all day long: surfing, bodyweight  on outdoor gym sometimes 4 hours,2-3 x standard gym training ,riding mountain & fat bike. Don't have predictable training routine & specific time training ..... ;D

Clean eating is the numero uno 4 me  :D

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2017, 11:36:27 PM »
Physically active all day long: surfing, bodyweight  on outdoor gym sometimes 4 hours,2-3 x standard gym training ,riding mountain & fat bike. Don't have predictable training routine & specific time training ..... ;D

Clean eating is the numero uno 4 me  :D

Mind my asking what you do for 4 hours?

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2017, 12:19:54 AM »
5 days per week. Monday thru Friday.

Full body workouts each of the 5 days.

1 Exercise per bodypart

Monday - 3 sets per bodypart (to failure)
Tuesday - 2 sets per bodypart ( pump sets )
Wednesday - 1 set per bodypart (pump set )
Thursday - 2 sets per bodypart (pump sets)
Friday - 3 sets per bodypart (to failure )
Saturday - OFF
Sunday - OFF

Simple Simon

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2017, 02:00:41 AM »
Mind my asking what you do for 4 hours?

sits at the desk chatting shit with the receptionist...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2017, 02:32:35 PM »

Yes. Moderate weight with more sets and reps actually provides me a better pump. It doesn't do much for strength though, but it does lessen the need for as much cardio. If you maintain good form, you are less likely to injure yourself with this method. In my entire bodybuilding experience, I have not sustained a significant injury while lifting.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »
Naturally my strength is going down as I age and also include more cardio. I just feel like I'm not training hard unless I take every set to failure with what is heavy weight for me. On the other hand my brain is telling me I'm one rep away for really messing up my body.  I've seen many outstanding trainers that use moderate weight for lack of a better term muscular endurance training.

In the running world a 400 meter  sprinter certainly trains more intense than a 10K runner but you will never in the history of track hear a 400 meter guy say a 10K runner doesn't train brutally hard. In bodybuilding you hear that all the time. A guy that uses 6 sets to failure a body part will often say the 20 set guy isn't training hard when nothing could be future from the truth.

Maybe I will come to my senses soon and use lighter weight, less rest between sets and let the last set of 4 to 6 sets be the failure set on an exercise.

It is fairly easy to reach failure when lifting light. Do enough reps, even with body-weight alone and you will eventually fail to complete the movement.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2017, 02:40:25 PM »

I've found that I am able to squat extremely low with lighter weight and do it with no fear of a back or knee injury. No added weight and 100 reps will make you quads fell like overfilled water balloons, not to mention the burn. Try doing 4 sets of these and then let me know how your legs feel when you finish.

Simple Simon

« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2017, 02:44:37 PM »
I've found that I am able to squat extremely low with lighter weight and do it with no fear of a back or knee injury. No added weight and 100 reps will make you quads fell like overfilled water balloons, not to mention the burn. Try doing 4 sets of these and then let me know how your legs feel when you finish.

I stopped there, I dont want to go any further....

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2017, 02:46:30 PM »
6 days a week, machines,, hitting all body parts not looking to gain, just keep what I have a 55

At this point, I rely heavily on machines because my grip is very weak from osteoarthritis. Only when the weight is fairly light or when dropping the weight is unlikely to cause injury to anything besides the floor (unless I were to drop it on my foot), do I use free weights these days. Dumbbell shrugs are one example of an exercise I am still confident in doing using fairly weight. I particularly like the range of movement when doing dumbbell shrugs.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
I stopped there, I dont want to go any further....

:D :D Me thinks you are reading something into this that has nothing to do with exercise. We're talking bodybuilding here and nothing more.

Simple Simon

« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2017, 02:51:04 PM »
:D :D Me thinks you are reading something into this that has nothing to do with exercise. We're talking bodybuilding here and nothing more.

;D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »
Day 1 - Chest/Bicep/Calves
Day 2 - Back/Rear delt/Triceps/abs

Day 3 - Front/side delt/Traps/Hamstrings/Calves
Day 4 - Quads/Abs

Repeat

*:30 min cardio 3 x per week

I train very fast, rest times usually no more than a :60.

I train very high volume supersetting the same bodyparts

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2017, 03:55:39 PM »
Focus on reps of 4-6 and still do 4-5 sets. You'll get the feel of heavy weights but a bit more volume than you might otherwise get.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2017, 04:05:25 PM »

Me. I used to train heavy, more for powerlifting/strongman but about a year and half ago went back to more bodybuilding-type training. Now it's mostly back to BB training. You get older, you've got to change. I'm even seeing more powerlifters switch. At some point it takes it's toll.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2017, 01:50:11 AM »
Theses days....
One ON and One Off split. So a body part gets trained once every 8-9 days.
Perfect for recovery, staying strong and maintaining a life outside the gym.

I lift moderately heavy; Why leg press 14 plates a side for 10 when I can do 10
plates a side for a quality 20? Why flat dumbbell press the 140's for 6-8 when I can
use the 120's for sets of 12?

20-30 min of mild cardio post workout depending on time.

Test and Var medically prescribed.
MK677 daily.

I feel great.

- Block!
?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2017, 05:20:10 AM »
7 Days if I can - 6 days mostly.  Feel amazing.  Have to be smart about it.  Can't kill yourself daily.  42 doing more BB type stuff, add in cardio - Will go back to more rucking and heady duty stuff after February - but still - I don't believe in the 3 x a week stuff.   Stay mobile, stay active.   

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2017, 05:28:33 AM »
Every single day 2 or 3 times per day

Have already trainied twice today and it's only 3 pm

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2017, 05:34:50 AM »
3 x week rotating chest/back/shoulders/legs so each major body part once every 9-10 days. biceps/forearms with chest and back and triceps with shoulders. like to keep things simple and not too taxing. not really trying to gain any more muscle. just maintain and stay in shape.