Author Topic: How often do you train?  (Read 21599 times)

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
Re: How often do you train?
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2017, 04:42:19 PM »
week 1 – hi rep (bodyweight even) squats – eod
week 2 – high rep bent rows.... eod
week 3 – high rep pressing movements – eod
week 4 – arms or some shit... whatever

repeat each month with variable loads and frequency, keeping the over all structure intact... and b the best that u can b

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2017, 04:45:39 PM »
There's a shit load of information in this tread, which is great. Not everyone responds the same to a routine. It's a good idea to vary your exercise routine (which I'm not so good at doing) to keep things fresh. It is really easy to get stuck and not even realize it.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2017, 04:52:43 PM »
There's a shit load of information in this tread, which is great. Not everyone responds the same to a routine. It's a good idea to vary your exercise routine (which I'm not so good at doing) to keep things fresh. It is really easy to get stuck and not even realize it.

u r OLD.... old people r supposed to DIE.. dont u understand that? fuk

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
  • 2014 Getbig Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2017, 04:53:18 PM »
Prime, you are 70+ years old. Are you genuinely afraid of dying?

Zillotch

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2017, 04:56:13 PM »

does it really fuking matter how he feels about it? no, it does not. lets just get on with it already... how hard is this shit, damn.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2017, 05:01:38 PM »

Nope! Everyone dies sooner or later. Why fear it? I live in the moment. Good health is important to me because it makes me feel good and not because it could extend my life. Incidentally, my doctor says I am in perfect health....so who knows?

When I was your age, I thought being 70+ years old and in good health was next to impossible.  ;)

Zillotch

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2017, 05:24:47 PM »
btw, people who need exercise guidance of any sort.... r fuking retards.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2017, 09:13:04 PM »
Your routine looks great. I particularly like that you only train 4 days a week. I'm considering giving your routine a try which is why I'm asking you for more details. The routine I've been following for quite awhile requires hitting the gym 6 days a week, but limiting the training period to not more than an hour and preferably 45 minutes. I don't include cardio in that time frame, so it adds another 20 to 30 minutes to the routine time.

Do you vary the exercises for each muscle group? How many different ways to you hit your quads, chest, biceps and triceps, etc. You mention that you train fast with little rest between sets. Do you ever get winded or need a longer rest time when exercising large muscles using heavier resistance, such as when doing squats for quads? Do you feel like you don't get enough cardio by moving swiftly through your routine? What kinds of exercises/equipment do you do strictly for cardio? When you add in cardio is it on the same day that you are lifting and do you do it before or after the rest of your routine?

I also shoot for minimal rest times between sets. I sometimes get the rest period down to 30 seconds on smaller muscle groups. If I go full blast like this, I'll occasionally count that as sufficient for cardio. One cardio exercise that really puts a burn on my quads is the lateral Helix machine, specially when doing it in a half squat position. Even a minute doing laterals this way makes my quads feel like they are on fire.

Whew!! Lot of questions. I’ll answer most in a video. It’s easier.  But in short, I change up exercises about every 4 weeks or so. Again, at this point in my training I’m Superseting the SAME body part not opposing. Example would be biceps..

Standing BB curl- 4 x 21’s Superset w/
Alt DB Curl - 4 x 12

Plate loaded Preachers - 4 x 12-15 Superset w/
Hammer Strength Single arm curl - 4 x 12-15

Reverse BB curl (ez) - 3 x 12-15Superset w/
90 degree DB curl - 3 x 10-12

Leg day is usually up to 32 sets of paired exercises

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2017, 09:30:27 PM »
looks like 4 days in a row and then repeat

Only issue I see is training front delts the day after training triceps.  If he's not doing presses for front delts then no big deal. Then again, same issue trying to work back the day after training biceps.

Of course the only split that matters is the one you'll actually stick with

No pressing movements for front delt. At this point I’ll superset alternate front lateral raise with a plate loaded hammer Strength press.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »
No pressing movements for front delt. At this point I’ll superset alternate front lateral raise with a plate loaded hammer Strength press.

so no standing free weight pressing movements is what you meant?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2017, 09:43:27 PM »
so no standing free weight pressing movements is what you meant?

Yes

Zillotch

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2017, 09:48:51 PM »
its one thing to be dumb enough to need advice about lifting a fuking weight... but is it really the best idea to ask a stupid person? how is that going to end well?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2017, 10:01:52 PM »
its one thing to be dumb enough to need advice about lifting a fuking weight... but is it really the best idea to ask a stupid person? how is that going to end well?

Quite gimmick and speak when you’re spoken too. Know your place. This isn’t your place. Hope this helps.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2017, 10:07:36 PM »
all the accounts here r 1 or 2 super bored dudes... I keep reading that, lol

Zillotch

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2017, 10:09:48 PM »
luckily... I don't give a fuk, lol

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2017, 12:08:40 AM »
looks like 4 days in a row and then repeat

Only issue I see is training front delts the day after training triceps.  If he's not doing presses for front delts then no big deal. Then again, same issue trying to work back the day after training biceps.

Of course the only split that matters is the one you'll actually stick with

Missed the "repeat" if there's no days off between repeats than this is too much for me. I barely make six days a week, but then I have other things to attend to. Staying fit is only part of my life. Coach seems dedicated to weight lifting and exercise since it is also his profession and not just a hobby.

I must have been reading something into his routine that was familiar since I exercise one muscle group each workout, which gives me a full week to recover. Old = longer recovery time.  ;)

Zillotch

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2017, 12:12:17 AM »
also.. silly sally shit aside, I am serious about this:

week 1 – hi rep (bodyweight even) squats – eod
week 2 – high rep bent rows.... eod
week 3 – high rep pressing movements – eod
week 4 – arms or some shit... whatever

repeat each month with variable loads and frequency, keeping the over all structure intact... and b the best that u can b

give it a whirl..

macos

• Getbig IV
  • Jamie Dimon get some $$ please.
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2017, 12:47:45 AM »
Dont keep track
$

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2017, 01:46:04 AM »
Missed the "repeat" if there's no days off between repeats than this is too much for me. I barely make six days a week, but then I have other things to attend to. Staying fit is only part of my life. Coach seems dedicated to weight lifting and exercise since it is also his profession and not just a hobby.

I must have been reading something into his routine that was familiar since I exercise one muscle group each workout, which gives me a full week to recover. Old = longer recovery time.  ;)

4 on 1 or 2 off

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2017, 01:52:36 AM »
4 on 1 or 2 off

What would you do if che punched you in the face?

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
  • 2014 Getbig Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2017, 02:49:37 AM »
What would you do if che punched you in the face?
Eat. He is obviously good at it.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2017, 02:55:42 AM »
Eat. He is obviously good at it.

lol

9/10

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2017, 04:28:25 AM »
4 on 1 or 2 off

I don't know if you remember a guy named Joe Means from the 1976 AAU Mr. America. He was ripped beyond belief. He used giant sets for every body part. He would use three to four exercises  a body part and super set them or rather giant set them. He trained before a contest 6 days a week. I would imagine it's a great way to get cut up.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2017, 06:41:12 AM »
I don't know if you remember a guy named Joe Means from the 1976 AAU Mr. America. He was ripped beyond belief. He used giant sets for every body part. He would use three to four exercises  a body part and super set them or rather giant set them. He trained before a contest 6 days a week. I would imagine it's a great way to get cut up.

Yes, we talk quite a bit on FB, he’s a retired cop now.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2017, 09:07:53 AM »
4 on 1 or 2 off

Thanks for the response.

This might work for me. Two days off allows for almost one week of recovery before starting over. This would give me two flex days for other things I might need to attend to, like in December when I will kill an entire day driving over a hundred miles to give a speech to a group of retirees and then have lunch with the group's Board as an honorarium.