Author Topic: VIKINGS/SAINTS  (Read 4075 times)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: VIKINGS/SAINTS
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »
when one player does it for 5 -6 years and holds a press confernce crying "i have nothing left to give", it gets a bit annoying

he choked in the big game, something he has done every year since 1998

E

I disagree. I don't think it's his fault they lost the game. The Vikings had every oppotunity to put that game away early on.

He's definitely played poorly in big playoff games in the past but last weeks game was not one of them. There was so much more that lead to the loss than that final interception. It only allowed the game to go into sudden death. Favre never saw the field in the extra period.

Who's to say Longwell could've connected from 53 yards even if Favre had limped that extra three yards?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 02:14:35 PM »
i don't put all the blame on him, but once again he threw an int at the worst possible time

E
E

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 04:26:09 PM »
People seem so upset that Favre " held (choose NFL Team) hostage "

NFL and the teams in it care so much about the individual themselves.
Can't do it - you're fired - somebody else will.

If a 40year old guy can walk in to a pro football team, post camp, and be welcomed as a starting QB. Is it his false?

Very true.  Where are all these people to bash a team when they release a guy because the team "wants to move in another direction?"  The NFL is a cut-throat business where coaches with winning records are fired, players are cut for the salary cap, etc.... yet everybody seems so offended that a guy who hasn't missed a game in damn near 20 years wants to take time to make a decision about HIS life/career.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 04:34:51 PM »
The NFL is a cut-throat business where coaches with winning records are fired, players are cut for the salary cap, etc.... yet everybody seems so offended that a guy who hasn't missed a game in damn near 20 years wants to take time to make a decision about HIS life/career.

again he has been discussing this "decision" for the last 5 - 6 years, he cried "i have nothing left to give" and he also "retired" with the jets

E
E

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 06:34:38 PM »
again he has been discussing this "decision" for the last 5 - 6 years, he cried "i have nothing left to give" and he also "retired" with the jets

E

So?  Maybe thats how he felt at the time, but changing your mind isn't illegal.  And with the jets he had the bicep issue, which was fixed and he went on to have a great season. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 06:51:57 PM »
So?  Maybe thats how he felt at the time, but changing your mind isn't illegal.  And with the jets he had the bicep issue, which was fixed and he went on to have a great season. 

5 - 6 straight years of not making up his mind, it's very annoying that's all i'm saying, i'm tired of his drama hijacking the sports news

the great chuck noll said that once you start to consider retirement, it's time to go

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 10:29:15 AM »
5 - 6 straight years of not making up his mind, it's very annoying that's all i'm saying, i'm tired of his drama hijacking the sports news

the great chuck noll said that once you start to consider retirement, it's time to go

E

He's one to talk. He should have considered retirement by the mid-80's. Great example of a coach that stayed on waaaayyyy too long after his glory years in the 70's. he stayed on forever because Rooney wasn't going to fire him. Attempting to make the Steelers a winner with Mark Malone as your QB was a misguided case of ego and pride.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 11:32:16 AM »
He's one to talk. He should have considered retirement by the mid-80's. Great example of a coach that stayed on waaaayyyy too long after his glory years in the 70's. he stayed on forever because Rooney wasn't going to fire him. Attempting to make the Steelers a winner with Mark Malone as your QB was a misguided case of ego and pride.

he wasn't considering retirement like favre is/was

E
E

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »
E

Jets retirement was business decision. Jets avoided all the penalties they'd have if they just traded him.

(Edit after 15min...)

Well, I'm in my mid thirties, I don't fan anybody, to any extent anyway, not anymore.
Mid-late '90s I hated Favre. I hated his style of backyard football, something great out of nothing. He beat great Dallas team and won, my favorite character Bill Parcells', Patriots in the Super Bowl.
Then 2006 internet made following NFL so much easier in northern europe.
I found that he was still doing it, ok, cool.

In 2007 I was already sure that if somebody could stop the Patriots it was Favre and his backyard football.
Well... you know.

Now we don't get all those US news that probably followed him all too much in the next offseason. So it didn't annoy me.

Jets year was ok, made them better for sure. Faded with injury in the end, threw pics and fumbled. Sigh, done, maybe?

Then I saw his first pic with Vikings, he looked old!(But not that much older than me) Then the wins started and I started to believe.
Daumn, this year! Hell yeah. I was so afraid before that Dallas PO game. And it went like breeze. ( pun )

I know that everybody plays with pain in the NFL. But how often do you see it nowadays like you did last Sunday ?
I mean he was set to fall, but he didn't. And then maybe he did? He wasn't perfect, but he was a warrior. Maybe he is attraction junkie. Primadonna and all that.
Of the field.

No guts, no glory - last sunday we had both!

( Apologize for this. I'll address this issue next time... I guess right before, or after training camp )

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 12:37:50 PM »
he wasn't considering retirement like favre is/was

E

Right. My point was that he should've considered it a lot earlier instead of continuing to collect a paycheck off the novelty of his success in the late '70's. Winning bought him a lot of time and extra years. After winning 4 titles, he didn't win shit for the next 12 seasons.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »
maybe he should've considered it, but he didn't at least not until the end

favre has been considering it for years

do you really believe it's "highly unlikely" he'll be back?

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 01:22:21 PM »
maybe he should've considered it, but he didn't at least not until the end

favre has been considering it for years

do you really believe it's "highly unlikely" he'll be back?

E

His ankle is still purple from last Saturday, I'm sure. Right now he feels every bit his 40 years. Once summer rolls around and training camp starts he may decide to come back in 2010. I think he's coming back. The Vikings have such a good team with him in the fold and it represents his best chance to win a Superbowl. All the pieces are in place on that team.

The repoire he developed with Sidney Rice alone should encourage him to come back. Rice was playing like Randy Moss did back when he was a Viking.