Author Topic: No morning wood = Overtrained  (Read 18675 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: No morning wood = Overtrained
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 08:44:04 AM »
so you see there is some method in Galenikos madness... ;)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »
therefore i think leaning back leg extensions and leg curls as described will train your thighs. In these aspects i agree with V Gironda. sissy squats however have no benefit other than stress for your knees.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »
here's my recommendation to you borra

pick 2 chest exercises, any 2

and then do 1 failure set of each after 3 or 4 warm-up sets

and of course keep accurate records of the weight used and reps performed

and set your rep goal at 5-10 reps and once you get 10 or more reps til failure increase the weight used next workout

train your chest like this twice a week, or maybe once every 5 days

and if your increase your training loads you will have bigger pecs, i guarantee it

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2013, 09:31:03 AM »

and set your rep goal at 5-10 reps and once you get 10 or more reps til failure increase the weight used next workout

and if your increase your training loads you will have bigger pecs, i guarantee it
Agreed except why would you need warmups on the second exercise? AJ rolling over in his grave.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2013, 10:16:50 AM »
Gotta love GB. From the advancing impotent problem (blamed on over training), to diet and now exercises performance.

Personal note; hate to see good exercise get a bad rap, just because a few are confused about their performance. That would include the Press Behind The Neck Press and Up-right Rows. If anyone one has trouble with any of these...than don't do them and please share your experiences with them and how they went wrong for you.

The bench to the neck/upper chest is a common exercise done by many men over the years, with good results. It's was never meant to be a heavy duty exercise. Even regular benches , preformed BB'ing style, were meant as a moderate weight exercise and higher reps. The elbow position (as in most exercises) is very important in doing to the neck/upper chest movements, as is a wider grip on the bar. The BB decline press to the neck/upper chest can be a effective upper pec builder also. Almost mocking he affect of doing dips. Suggest both versions in a serious pec building program. DB's also play a important part, keeping the DB's in line with the neck/upper chest..guided by the position of the elbows.

Some chest machines, as a Pec Deck and others chest machines, will require that the elbows be inline (and kept there) with the neck/upper chest. Benefit being, as with a BB/DB, a better full stretch of the upper chest.  Good Luck
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
Gotta love GB. From the advancing impotent problem (blamed on over training), to diet and now exercises performance.

Personal note; hate to see good exercise get a bad rap, just because a few are confused about their performance. That would include the Press Behind The Neck Press and Up-right Rows. If anyone one has trouble with any of these...than don't do them and please share your experiences with them and how they went wrong for you.

The bench to the neck/upper chest is a common exercise done by many men over the years, with good results. It's was never meant to be a heavy duty exercise. Even regular benches , preformed BB'ing style, were meant as a moderate weight exercise and higher reps. The elbow position (as in most exercises) is very important in doing to the neck/upper chest movements, as is a wider grip on the bar. The BB decline press to the neck/upper chest can be a effective upper pec builder also. Almost mocking he affect of doing dips. Suggest both versions in a serious pec building program. DB's also play a important part, keeping the DB's in line with the neck/upper chest..guided by the position of the elbows.

Some chest machines, as a Pec Deck and others chest machines, will require that the elbows be inline (and kept there) with the neck/upper chest. Benefit being, as with a BB/DB, a better full stretch of the upper chest.  Good Luck
what are your Qualifactions ? please post them.. also i want to know which Uni you work at.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2013, 10:29:31 AM »
Here is what I like to do.
First exercise for the training session, pyramid up using whatever rep range you are using up to your heaviest set in that rep range, and try to get stronger by adding reps or weight when you can.

Every exercise after that I use the traditional volume approach, same weight 3-4 sets 6-15 reps with the same weight. I still try to get stronger on these but not as aggressively as the first exercise.

Last leg workout:
Squats: 185×9, 235×9, 285×9, 335×6
Rear foot elevated split squats: 40lb db's x 8, 8, 8
Seated hamstring curls: 90 x 8, 7, 6, 6
Toe presses: 4 plates x 10, 9, 9
Leg raises: 4 sets bw only

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2013, 10:38:45 AM »
First exercise for the training session, pyramid up using whatever rep range you are using up to your heaviest set in that rep range, and try to get stronger by adding reps or weight when you can.

Every exercise after that I use the traditional volume approach, same weight 3-4 sets 6-15 reps with the same weight. I still try to get stronger on these but not as aggressively as the first exercise.

Last leg workout:
nice i like it

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »
Agreed except why would you need warmups on the second exercise? AJ rolling over in his grave.

shhhhh... don't speak too loud on maybe AJ's ghost will hear me and pistol whip my ass just like he did that bodybuilder who tried to sell his son narcotics back in the 70s lol

but you're right, 3 to 4 warm-ups on the second exercise wouldn't really be necessary, but i think that one or 2 "primer sets" would be useful to get the feel of the exercise and to get the muscles primed and ready for the 2nd new movement

so do you think that one could go to the second movement without any prep sets? i'm not talking in a pre-exhust fashion, i'm talking about doing one exercise and then resting and regrouping and then hitting the second exercise after being sufficiently recovered from the 1st exercise

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »

Did incline bb and pec deck today...regretting the latter choice cause I don't think I'll be able to stack more weight on the machine. If I can't I'll choose another exercise.

How many muscle groups per day do you train?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2013, 01:38:04 PM »
Did incline bb and pec deck today...regretting the latter choice cause I don't think I'll be able to stack more weight on the machine. If I can't I'll choose another exercise.

How many muscle groups per day do you train?

well man, i kinda just go "by feel" but i do follow certain guidelines which are as follows:

1. keep the rep range @ 5-10 reps

2. do 1 to 3 exercises per workout

3. do 1 or 2 failure sets per exercise (for 1 to 6 total failure sets per workout, but usually 2-4 failure sets per workout TOTAL)

at the moment i am only doing 5 exercises which are as follows: 1. db row 2. weighted push-up 3. wide stance box squats with a heavy db held in my hands 4. 1-leg calf raise with a heavy bell held in my hand 5. weighted crunch

i train about 5 days per week and i end up training each muscle every 2-4 days, except box squats which i train once every 6-8 days

tomorrow i will do 1 or maybe 2 failure sets on weighted push-ups and that's it

last push-up workout i got 7 reps til failure with 100 pounds strapped onto me, so tomorrow i'll get AT LEAST 8 reps til failure and maybe even 9 or 10 8)

eventually i should get down to the point where i only train 2 or 3 days per week, but my complusive mind just won't let me do that yet....

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2013, 01:46:22 PM »

Not impotent  lol

Just uncalled for morning erections which at times can be quite bothersome if you gotta pee first thing when you wake up.

And yeah ...behind the neck stuff and the to the neck press are impossible for me to do. Just my structure....won't let me. Tried the to the neck press today with just the bar and it just didn't feel right.

Last leg workout:

This looks good.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »
well man, i kinda just go "by feel" but i do follow certain guidelines which are as follows:

1. keep the rep range @ 5-10 reps

2. do 1 to 3 exercises per workout

3. do 1 or 2 failure sets per exercise (for 1 to 6 total failure sets per workout, but usually 2-4 failure sets per workout TOTAL)

at the moment i am only doing 5 exercises which are as follows: 1. db row 2. weighted push-up 3. wide stance box squats with a heavy db held in my hands 4. 1-leg calf raise with a heavy bell held in my hand 5. weighted crunch

i train about 5 days per week and i end up training each muscle every 2-4 days, except box squats which i train once every 6-8 days

tomorrow i will do 1 or maybe 2 failure sets on weighted push-ups and that's it

last push-up workout i got 7 reps til failure with 100 pounds strapped onto me, so tomorrow i'll get AT LEAST 8 reps til failure and maybe even 9 or 10 8)

eventually i should get down to the point where i only train 2 or 3 days per week, but my complusive mind just won't let me do that yet....

I'm gonna train something like this for a while but you gotta eat your damn protein!  >:(

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »
I'm gonna train something like this for a while but you gotta eat your damn protein!  >:(

;D ;D ;D

well, i'm cooking my lo-mien noddles right now as we speak and i've put 6 strips of bacon in there with them, and i was gonna wash it all down with an aloe green tea, but now that you mentioned it i'll have a big glass of milk instead :)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2013, 01:54:22 PM »
;D ;D ;D

well, i'm cooking my lo-mien noddles right now as we speak and i've put 6 strips of bacon in there with them, and i was gonna wash it all down with an aloe green tea, but now that you mentioned it i'll have a big glass of milk instead :)
6 strips bacon ? hmmmm ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2013, 02:26:53 PM »
6 strips bacon ? hmmmm ;D

8)

i also had another 10 strips of bacon and 4 scrambled eggs for lunch

bacon is good, but steak is better, but a po' broke punkass like myself has to stick with bacon rather than steak ;D

by the way, what's the typical Scottish breakkie? is it like the brit breakkie of bacon and eggs and beans?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2013, 02:52:13 PM »
eggs, bacon , beans , black pudding, scones..tomatoes...and the most important thing SQUARE sliced sausage.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »
Oat Cakes my Father liked too. I did a "Milk Run" before school so i was up at 5 am and run door to door with a milk bottles in a carier in each hand. got me in great shape and i always was hungry. I ate Breakfast gave the Milk man a Bacon butty and he drove me and my 2 brothers to school.. we hanged on the back with a fag(cigerette) in our mouths--great times.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2013, 03:05:17 PM »
shhhhh... don't speak too loud on maybe AJ's ghost will hear me and pistol whip my ass just like he did that bodybuilder who tried to sell his son narcotics back in the 70s lol

but you're right, 3 to 4 warm-ups on the second exercise wouldn't really be necessary, but i think that one or 2 "primer sets" would be useful to get the feel of the exercise and to get the muscles primed and ready for the 2nd new movement

so do you think that one could go to the second movement without any prep sets? i'm not talking in a pre-exhust fashion, i'm talking about doing one exercise and then resting and regrouping and then hitting the second exercise after being sufficiently recovered from the 1st exercise
Maybe one set to get the feel, but think you are warmed up after the first exercise why do more? Recovery is limited.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »

Yes really no warmup needed, well think about pre-exhaust one exercise to the next no warmup. Nautilus back in the day had no warmup from one exercise to the next 12 exercises. Why do do warmup's when you are warmed up just to use energy?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »
Oat Cakes my Father liked too. I did a "Milk Run" before school so i was up at 5 am and run door to door with a milk bottles in a carier in each hand. got me in great shape and i always was hungry. I ate Breakfast gave the Milk man a Bacon butty and he drove me and my 2 brothers to school.. we hanged on the back with a fag(cigerette) in our mouths--great times.

cool man 8) thanks for sharing that :)

by the way, what are scones?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2013, 05:12:49 PM »
Yes really no warmup needed, well think about pre-exhaust one exercise to the next no warmup. Nautilus back in the day had no warmup from one exercise to the next 12 exercises. Why do do warmup's when you are warmed up just to use energy?

pre-exhust NEVER worked for me, so it was a waste of time for me

so let's say that i do db bench and then dips for my 2 chest exercises with adequate rest btw the 2

my db bench weight is 100 pound bells so i start with 2 sets of 6 with the 50's and then i got to a set of 3 with 75's and then do my work set til failure with the 100's

and then my dips weight is bodyweight plus 100 pounds how many warm-ups should i do for the dips and at what weight? i would most likely do the 1st set at bodyweight for 6 reps and then hit the 2nd set at bodyweight plus 50 pounds added for 3 reps, so how would you change that warm=up scheme on dips oir would you change it? remember this IS NOT pre-exhust here, it's one set til failure on db bench and then rest a bit then hit one set til failure on dips

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2013, 05:42:45 PM »
pre-exhust NEVER worked for me, so it was a waste of time for me

so let's say that i do db bench and then dips for my 2 chest exercises with adequate rest btw the 2

my db bench weight is 100 pound bells so i start with 2 sets of 6 with the 50's and then i got to a set of 3 with 75's and then do my work set til failure with the 100's

and then my dips weight is bodyweight plus 100 pounds how many warm-ups should i do for the dips and at what weight? i would most likely do the 1st set at bodyweight for 6 reps and then hit the 2nd set at bodyweight plus 50 pounds added for 3 reps, so how would you change that warm=up scheme on dips oir would you change it? remember this IS NOT pre-exhust here, it's one set til failure on db bench and then rest a bit then hit one set til failure on dips

Not being a dick man, but after have done the db bench with 100's why do need a warmup for the next exercise ? Hell your chest, shoulders, arms are warmed up...seems you are following the path of more is better carry on.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2013, 05:46:06 PM »
Not being a dick man, but after have done the db bench with 100's why do need a warmup for the next exercise ? Hell your chest, shoulders, arms are warmed up...seems you are following the path of more is better carry on.

my whole point is to do the 2 warm-up on the next exercise to prepare yourself for that following exercise

you really think that you could just load the 100 pound bell on ya and jump on to and hit the dips til failure without preparing yourself with a prep set or two?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2013, 05:52:16 PM »
my whole point is to do the 2 warm-up on the next exercise to prepare yourself for that following exercise

you really think that you could just load the 100 pound bell on ya and jump on to and hit the dips til failure without preparing yourself with a prep set or two?
Maybe 3-4 reps 60% then rest and do the failure set.