Author Topic: Book Club  (Read 1226 times)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Book Club
« on: January 28, 2007, 11:04:58 AM »

This will work far better on the internet than in real life.  We pick a book and agree to read it and then discuss it.

It will take some organising, perhaps 2-3 weeks to pick a book.  I don't know how long we should allow ourselves to read it, perhaps a month, and you have to read it. 

If you haven't time you could write it down on your "maybe someday" list and just read what the rest of us say about it?

we could do a poem or two on the way, every week
and just do a proper piece of classic fiction once a month.

xL

I've just read a long Ayn Rand tome (which I read every few years) and this, which is madness. 

I recommend this book, it's only short and it's life-changing). 

I don't know whether it's a novel or an autobiography or a selfhelp book.

I need to get off this computer.  Is there anything on the TV?

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
Re: Book Club
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 03:28:42 PM »
hmmmm... not a bad idea.  What else do you read?

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 01:39:06 PM »
Too much.

This won't work ...
(I haven't the time and anyways I was feeling mad at the time when I invented this silly thread),
but you ought to consider it. 
Someone else will need to configure it.  It was a kinda nice idea and would have worked so well on the internet, but I'm going to be doing other things.  It's Spring soon and I'll be busy working gardening, not recommending great books.

Anyways you have to read a fantastic book you haven't read yet.  I just got the Life of Pi by Yann Martel (winner of the Booker Prize) for 40p in a charity shop and I'm reading that next.

For a Book Club I'd recommend:
like: a proper classic
or:   a modern prizewinner...

I don't really do sci-fi.

I've just read and loved:  Love in the Time of Cholera (some Colombian author), truly lovely, about love etc.,

xLinda

but the point of a book club is:  everyone googles Oprah / Richard and Judy or something, decides on a book they're all gonna read and then...

joking

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 02:47:02 PM »
Too much.

but the point of a book club is:  everyone googles Oprah / Richard and Judy or something, decides on a book they're all gonna read and then...

joking

oh god, I hope so!

You'll love Life of Pi... it's absolutely beautiful.  Another great one written around that time was Jeffry Eugenides - Middlesex. Just in case you have the time between gardening etc.