Author Topic: Gen. Powell ready to endorse Obama  (Read 1656 times)

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Gen. Powell ready to endorse Obama
« on: October 15, 2008, 08:24:18 AM »
If he does, it could be the final nail - unless Obama has a meltdown tonight:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lawrence-odonnell/colin-powell-is-ready-to_b_134777.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Gen. Powell ready to endorse Obama
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »
Doesn't sound like he has any kind of scoop.  It's just his opinion. 

Colin Powell Is Ready To Endorse

Share Print CommentsWhen Colin Powell turns off his TV after the final presidential debate, he will have learned everything he is going to learn about the candidates vying to succeed his former boss, George W. Bush. Powell has made it clear that he has been thinking about an endorsement for a long time but wanted to hear more from the candidates before making his choice. It now seems beyond doubt that Colin Powell will endorse Barack Obama and thereby hammer the final nail in the coffin of the Republican campaign to hold onto the White House.

The recent ugliness of the McCain-Palin rally audiences cannot be lost on Colin Powell. And Powell is not one to ignore a 14 point lead in a New York Times poll. But most important for Powell and the press will be his explicit rejection of the Bush-McCain approach to Iraq, Iran and the rest of the world.

Powell's endorsement will be perfectly timed to dominate a news cycle or two. It will give Obama the one thing he still needs more of--credibility as Commander-In-Chief. And Sarah Palin's speechwriters will be hard pressed to come up with a condescending quip about it.

The Coach

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 03:56:07 PM »
Huffington post? LOL!

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »
Funny, if he endorses Obama coach and his right wing imbreed un-educated christian fundamentalists will say "he only did it casue hes black" if he doesnt he will say "see even black high ups dont like Obama" no matter what, right wing nuts are going to hammer Obama....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 04:24:23 PM »
I think a Powell endorsement would definitely be a nail in the coffin. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 05:14:26 PM »
that would be priceless:  Bush: "oh shit, I fucked up again..."

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 05:21:26 PM »
I think a Powell endorsement would definitely be a nail in the coffin. 

do you still think McCain will win?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 08:05:56 PM »

You guys should check out 'The Black List'.

Colin Powell talks about Obama and the excitement he brings to the arena.  I don't think he's so much a fan of Obama's positions as he is about the fact that Obama is getting 'the people' excited about being involved in their country again...even if only for a little while (which is better than not at all). 

I haven't spoken much about the race perspective, but I do believe there's an important racial component from which America greatly benefits if Obama is elected. 

You see, if a Black man can be elected President of the United States, then almost all the excuses about this and that go away. 

And over time, the positive impact of that new reality will be realized. 

I'm not saying that's *the* reason anyone should vote for Obama, but it's one worth considering, especially when you fully examine the state of our nation today. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 10:24:46 PM »
do you still think McCain will win?

I'm not sure, but the race is far from over.  I think the polls will tighten as we near the election.  If it's within the margin of error going into the election, I think McCain wins. 

I do think the Bradley effect might play a role. 

What do you think?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 11:06:45 PM »
I'm not sure, but the race is far from over.  I think the polls will tighten as we near the election.  If it's within the margin of error going into the election, I think McCain wins. 

What do you think?

McCain is the front-runner right now, but doesn't know it, so that's why he isn't acting like it.

I WILL CONCEDE that the Electoral College setup plays in Obama's favor, but the Dem supporters are counting on areas they simply do not have locked up and I feel that's a mistake. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 11:13:30 PM »
McCain is the front-runner right now, but doesn't know it, so that's why he isn't acting like it.

I WILL CONCEDE that the Electoral College setup plays in Obama's favor, but the Dem supporters are counting on areas they simply do not have locked up and I feel that's a mistake. 

Perhaps. 

I do think Obama has run a much better campaign than Gore (the loser) and Kerry (the traitor). 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 11:28:58 PM »

I haven't seen a single dem count on anything, unless the numbers are just huge for Obama.

Busted

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 12:31:12 AM »
Perhaps. 

I do think Obama has run a much better campaign than Gore (the loser) and Kerry (the traitor). 

How is Kerry a traitor? Telling people what you witnessed = Traitor?

There is Evidence McCain gave up classified info over seas... does that not count as a traitor?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 01:49:53 AM »
There is Evidence McCain gave up classified info over seas... does that not count as a traitor?

No.

There are rules and then there are the unwritten rules.

It's considered a sign of great nobility when a soldier would rather give up his life than give up his men.

But the military establishment also understands and accepts the reality that 99% of people have a breaking point and there is no condemnation - either formal or otherwise - for men and women who say whatever they can to end the torture. 

If a person of a certain rank is captured, then plans are changed given that his superiors understand the info he held may now be compromised. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 08:59:18 AM »
How is Kerry a traitor? Telling people what you witnessed = Traitor?

Watch the Stolen Honor documentary.  http://www.stolenhonor.com/  He threw his fellow soldiers under bus in the middle of a war while some of his fellow soldiers were being held as POWs. 

McCain a traitor?   ::)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 09:23:46 AM »
Perhaps. 

Me too.  I think Obama wins, but it's going to be very close.  The dynamics have change just enough (Florida and Virginia specifically) so that Obama can hang on. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 12:30:32 PM »

What do you think?

It looks like it's in the bag for Obama right now, but like you said, there's plenty of time for things to change.

Busted

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 01:56:39 PM »
No.

There are rules and then there are the unwritten rules.

It's considered a sign of great nobility when a soldier would rather give up his life than give up his men.

But the military establishment also understands and accepts the reality that 99% of people have a breaking point and there is no condemnation - either formal or otherwise - for men and women who say whatever they can to end the torture. 

If a person of a certain rank is captured, then plans are changed given that his superiors understand the info he held may now be compromised. 

aHHH McCain gave up classified info while a POW... Other POWs talked about it... the investigator in that youtube video talked about it... hes a scum bag

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 05:35:07 PM »
aHHH McCain gave up classified info while a POW... Other POWs talked about it... the investigator in that youtube video talked about it... hes a scum bag

Not directed at you just a point, and I think we all know I am an Obama supporter, but I have read [on blogs and stuff] about people saying Mccain gave up info while a POW. I'd give up info in my first 3 mins, possibly 5 if I was fighting valiantly. I think that is nothing that should be held againest him, to put it mildly.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 05:55:45 PM »
Hey busted.....u'd sing like a little bitch until some raghead fucked u. Everybody breaks....except internet heroes like u. U couldn't carry McCains' jock.
L

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 06:02:36 PM »
Hey busted.....u'd sing like a little bitch until some raghead fucked u. Everybody breaks....except internet heroes like u. U couldn't carry McCains' jock.

I'm singing right now.

Seriously though... Not to slight McCain or anything, but didn't a lot of people get captured in Vietnam?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 06:08:19 PM »
Yep...and it was very unpleasant.  I'm sure u can find the numbers. McCain was high profile because of the length of time, the fact that he could have gotten out and who his father was. Plus the heroic stuff he did while in the Hanoi Hilton.
L

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 06:13:14 PM »
Yep...and it was very unpleasant.  I'm sure u can find the numbers. McCain was high profile because of the length of time, the fact that he could have gotten out and who his father was. Plus the heroic stuff he did while in the Hanoi Hilton.

I'd be interested in reading about his heroics... Anyone got some sources for that stuff?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 06:30:23 PM »

Doh!   :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 06:30:59 PM »

There's nothing wrong with what he did when he was a POW.  Even if he sang like a bird.

No one save other POW's have any idea or are qualified to comment on what he went through.