Author Topic: Palin vs. Powell  (Read 1792 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Palin vs. Powell
« on: October 18, 2008, 02:21:07 PM »
Sarah Palin dazzling people on SNL would certainly have helped with the idiot voters that vote upon likeability.

Did the Obama campaign put Colin Powell on Sunday morning (10 hours after Palin on SNL) so that Monday morning's new cycle would put "the" star endorsement of Obama, ahead of Palin's amusing appearance on television?

Very shrewd timing.

(okay, back to ignoring politics!)

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
Re: Palin vs. Powell
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 09:53:28 AM »
Sarah Palin dazzling people on SNL would certainly have helped with the idiot voters that vote upon likeability.

Did the Obama campaign put Colin Powell on Sunday morning (10 hours after Palin on SNL) so that Monday morning's new cycle would put "the" star endorsement of Obama, ahead of Palin's amusing appearance on television?

Very shrewd timing.

240, the political forum needs your insight.  :D

NT

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 10:26:44 AM »

Very shrewd timing.

for some reason I doubt Powell is taking orders from the Obama campaign.

Just a hunch

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:55:46 AM »
for some reason I doubt Powell is taking orders from the Obama campaign.

Just a hunch

the endorsement was for what purpose?

To get Obama elected.

An endorsement in July would have meant little.  Two weeks before the election after Palin's last ditch attempt on SNL?  Much more influence upon voters.

If he'll go on tv to help him get elected, I'm sure he'd work out the timing.  Besides, Powell is shrewder with politics than obama himself - he knew when his announcement would make the most waves.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 11:01:49 AM »

To get Obama elected.

An endorsement in July would have meant little.  Two weeks before the election after Palin's last ditch attempt on SNL?  Much more influence upon voters.

If he'll go on tv to help him get elected, I'm sure he'd work out the timing.  Besides, Powell is shrewder with politics than obama himself - he knew when his announcement would make the most waves.

How fitting, the many who said he won't post more about politics (hypocrite) talking about another flip flopping hypocrite....nice.....

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 11:02:32 AM »

To get Obama elected.

To be fair, Powell announced his appearance on Meet the Press before Palin agreed to go on SNL.  Powell also said back in June and in February that he was going to wait until after all the debates to make his endorsement.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 11:05:07 AM »

To get Obama elected.

I do think Powell timed his endorsement to have an impact on the election but I don't think it was to counter any positive effect of Palin on a comedy show

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 11:05:33 AM »
Palin and the Republicans should be abhorred that she went on SNL.  It made her look EXTREMELY weak.  Alec Baldwin tore her to shreds to her face and she sat there and took it awkwardly.  Even though the skit was planned, there was no acting on Baldwin`s or Palin`s behalf.  They let their true emotions and words come out.

The Palin rap was also embarassing.  It really pounded on the lack of intelligence and frivolous nature of Palin.  A lot of truth in jest.
Absolute disaster for Palin and the Republicans.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 11:06:50 AM »
Palin and the Republicans should be abhorred that she went on SNL.  It made her look EXTREMELY weak.  Alec Baldwin tore her to shreds to her face and she sat there and took it awkwardly.  Even though the skit was planned, there was no acting on Baldwin`s or Palin`s behalf.  They let their true emotions and words come out.

The Palin rap was also embarassing.  It really pounded on the lack of intelligence and frivolous nature of Palin.  A lot of truth in jest.

::)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 11:11:05 AM »
How fitting, the many who said he won't post more about politics (hypocrite) talking about another flip flopping hypocrite....nice.....
Does it pain you that Joe the fake Plumber has done more Press Conferences than Sarah Palin?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 11:13:23 AM »
I guess ur right, in ur expert and unbiased lib opinion.  ::)
L

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 11:27:45 AM »
I guess ur right, in ur expert and unbiased lib opinion.  ::)

You know what make it even better ? He speaks as if someone gives a fuck about what he thinks.

Everybody here remember TA massive lies for YEARS, taking his self proclaimed biased opinion is just borderline retarded...kind of like TA  ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 07:06:20 PM »

Absolutely and totally agree with you on this one.

The opening skit with Baldwin stunk! she was pwned to her face right from the get go.
Had they used something else, perhaps her appearance could have given them a bump,
...and had she had flavour enough to do the rap, ...it could have been funny and quite a hit ala the dinner,
...instead she choked, ...and came off very badly. This was an utter disaster.

Her only saving grace in all this is being upstaged by Colin Powell so quickly on the heels of a disastrous appearance.
w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 07:42:44 PM »
You be the judge.
Alec Baldwin PWNING:
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/gov-palin-cold-open/773761/

Yes... totally pwning in the way the writers had him sucking up after he found out it was really Palin.  ::)

It's just a skit.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 02:39:11 AM »
Yes... totally pwning in the way the writers had him sucking up after he found out it was really Palin.  ::)

It's just a skit.

It was highly disrespectful. Maybe it's just me, ...but I believe that when a supposedly intelligent man meets or is conversing with a woman of 'supposed accomplishment', ...if the only comment or thing that can be found to say to her is of no substance, and all about her appearance, ...it bespeaks the fact that there clearly is no respect for her, ...whether intentional or not. I didn't see any feigned embarassment from Baldwin, ...what I saw was dismissal. That skit basically told her to her face that her only appeal was a shallow and transitory one, not even of her own making. That's why I perceived her meeting with the newly elected leader of Pakistan so troubling as well as revealing. Had that been Margaret Thatcher, ...he would have had something of substance to say.

Now the press conference part of the skit would have been hilarious if she herself did the 'Would you like to see my pageant walk?' line, ...and they had her pageant walking off the stage, ...only to have Tina Fey run in to answer reporter's questions from a GOP perspective.
w

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 06:54:47 AM »

People are supposed to vote for Palin because she's hot or because she reminds them of themselves and because her family reminds them of their families.   

That's it.

She definitely gives the GOP a fighting chance in this election. 

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 07:31:24 AM »
People are supposed to vote for Palin because she's hot or because she reminds them of themselves and because her family reminds them of their families.   

That's it.

She definitely gives the GOP a fighting chance in this election erection. 

Last time put some thought into it...lazy Democrat can't even make his own puns.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 08:48:21 AM »
I was dissapointed that Palin didn't give more interviews, I needed to see more from her.  I liked the start, her character, standing against her party, against corruption and that she could be a strong female leader without being a liberal feminist.
However, the media left was so nasty towards her that it may have been part of the reason McCain's camp suggested few interviews.  Our politics are f'ed up and the far left has outdone itself with regards to Palin.  There are legitimate criticizms with her experience, just as Powel said...without digging into her family, false pregnancies and twisting her record.  Very disturbing and discouraging for politic outsiders.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 10:11:50 AM »
I was dissapointed that Palin didn't give more interviews, I needed to see more from her.  I liked the start, her character, standing against her party, against corruption and that she could be a strong female leader without being a liberal feminist.
However, the media left was so nasty towards her that it may have been part of the reason McCain's camp suggested few interviews.  Our politics are f'ed up and the far left has outdone itself with regards to Palin.  There are legitimate criticizms with her experience, just as Powel said...without digging into her family, false pregnancies and twisting her record.  Very disturbing and discouraging for politic outsiders.

things are often exactly as they seem to be. 

McCain is restricting interview because Palin either says something stupid or gets that moose in the headlights look.

If she can't handle a powder puff interview with Katie Couric and her "gotcha" questions like "What do you read"? then how is she going to handle a confrontation with another country.

Palin is a weak choice meant to appeal to the far right wing Christian voters.  As a group, they aren't that smart and Palin is appealing to them.  McCain knows he needs to keep that group while not turning off the rest of his potential supporters.....hence no access or very limited access to Palin

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 10:14:16 AM »
She was not prepared enough to be VP.  Obviously, she is a great Gov. but that doesn't automatically qualify you to be VP.  She just doesn't have enough experience with national issues IMO.

However, the ruthlessness of some on the left should raise significant concern as it disgusted many who are politic enthusiasts.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 10:19:15 AM »
She was not prepared enough to be VP.  Obviously, she is a great Gov. but that doesn't automatically qualify you to be VP.  She just doesn't have enough experience with national issues IMO.

However, the ruthlessness of some on the left should raise significant concern as it disgusted many who are politic enthusiasts.

I think her mere selection as a running mate did that far more effectively than any venom sent in her direction.
w

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 10:21:57 AM »
The harshest criticism of Palin have come from republican Colin Powell and conservative columnists such as George Will and Peggy Noonan.

McCain is restricting interview because Palin either says something stupid or gets that moose in the headlights look.

If she can't handle a powder puff interview with Katie Couric and her "gotcha" questions like "What do you read"? then how is she going to handle a confrontation with another country.

Palin is a weak choice meant to appeal to the far right wing Christian voters.  As a group, they aren't that smart and Palin is appealing to them.  McCain knows he needs to keep that group while not turning off the rest of his potential supporters.....hence no access or very limited access to Palin
;)
!

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 10:38:53 AM »
Harsh criticizm is appropriate.  We must vet our candidates for highest office.

Mudslinging, the shit about her family and lies that were debunked on the fact checking websites is what was innapropriate.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 11:46:25 AM »
Harsh criticizm is appropriate.  We must vet our candidates for highest office.

Mudslinging, the shit about her family and lies that were debunked on the fact checking websites is what was innapropriate.

If you ignore the bloggers and even the media and just look at the candidates themselves you'll see (IMO) that the McCain-Palin camp is doing much more negative and divisive things than anything from Obama-Biden. 

You've got McCain and Palin constantly flogging the Ayers thing which seems to only appeal to the dumbest of the dumb on the right.  You've got Palin out there talking about making divisive comments about real America.   You've got McCain's robo-calls which even some of his state party chairs have asked him to stop. 

I just see much more mudslinging coming from the right than the left.