Author Topic: Obama's Education  (Read 1060 times)

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
Obama's Education
« on: October 20, 2008, 03:20:16 PM »
Where did Obama get the money to go to Harvard?

He came from a poor family.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Re: Obama's Education
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 03:24:10 PM »
Well when you're really smart. There are these funds called Scholarships that help those who dont have the money for school. Grants, Student loans...

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 03:28:27 PM »
Well when you're really smart. There are these funds called Scholarships that help those who dont have the money for school. Grants, Student loans...

Really? ::)

Obama probably has a million dollar education. I'm sure all those funds didn't come from "scholarships and student loans." ::)

Where did he get the money to travel all over the country and the world while in collage?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 03:31:27 PM »
Really? ::)

Obama probably has a million dollar education. I'm sure all those funds didn't come from "scholarships and student loans." ::)

Where did he get the money to travel all over the country and the world while in collage?
Grants.  They are easy to get, especially if you do very well.  Personally, I wish we moved to the European system where all College and Universities are free.  The only thing needed is the will and desire to learn.  Knowledge should not be commodity and should have no price tag.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 03:32:57 PM »
Also, Obama`s book sales.

This should help.

Michelle Obama: Barack's Book Sales Paid Off Our Student Loans
HARRISBURG, N.C. -- It wasn't until Barack Obama wrote a pair of best-selling books that he and his wife escaped their student loan debt, an experience Michelle Obama said Tuesday helps the couple understand everyday challenges better than policymakers in Washington.

Associated Press

Wednesday, April 09, 2008
x

in order to recommend a story, you must login or register.

HARRISBURG, N.C. -- It wasn't until Barack Obama wrote a pair of best-selling books that he and his wife escaped their student loan debt, an experience Michelle Obama said Tuesday helps the couple understand everyday challenges better than policymakers in Washington.

"We are not so far away from life that we don't understand and get it," said Michelle Obama, wife of the Democratic presidential candidate.

Obama met with a group of about 50 women at a town-hall meeting in Harrisburg, just north of Charlotte. It was part of a daylong tour of North Carolina ahead of the state's May 6 primary.

At the Tuesday morning forum, the women said increases in the cost of gas, education and health care -- along with an unstable job market -- have taken a toll.

"The truth is most Americans don't want much," Obama said. "Folks don't want the whole pie. Most Americans feel blessed to thrive a little bit -- but that's out of reach for them."

Obama told the crowd that when she and her husband left law school, the monthly payments on their school loan debt was more than their monthly mortgage payment. She said they only got out of that debt when Barack Obama wrote his two books, "The Audacity of Hope" and "Dreams from My Father."

Both Obamas graduated from Harvard Law School.

Most of the Obamas' income in 2006, when they had $991,296 in annual income, came from royalties on the books. That was down from the nearly $1.7 million they took in 2005, a total also boosted by a book deal. The Obamas have not released their 2007 tax returns, but have pledged to do so later this month.

Obama's rival for the Democratic presidential nomination -- New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton -- reported earning $20.4 million along with her husband in 2007. Since leaving the White House, the Clintons have made nearly $109 million, much of it coming from book deals and Bill Clinton's speeches.

At a later stop in Winston-Salem, Michelle Obama said each time her husband exceeds expectations in the presidential race, the standard changes.

"They tell you to raise money, you raise money," she said. "They tell you to build an organization, and you build an organization.

"And you work hard and you reach that bar. Sometimes you surpass the bar and you look around and all of a sudden the bar has moved. The bar has changed on you and you wonder what happened."

Obama said students face a similar plight, surpassing the standards needed to get into college only to struggle with the rising costs of tuition. It's no difference with the nation's seniors, she said, who are discovering their pensions don't pay enough to cover the rising costs of living.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 03:35:13 PM »
How dare he tell people to have hope! >:(

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 03:45:06 PM »
He is actually related to Jesus. They forgive your student loans for that.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »
He is actually related to Jesus. They forgive your student loans for that.

Sally Mae don't forgive a damn thing, LOL!

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 03:56:19 PM »

Plenty do, my sibling went to an Ivy league college, and we do not come from rich stock to put it mildly. Was a combo of parents plus me chipping in all we could, scholarship, scrimping and of course running up some debt too lol. Was well worth it in the end, first member of my family to ever graduate from college....

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »
All kidding aside, didnt his white side of the family foot the bill for his education?

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 04:04:39 PM »
All kidding aside, didnt his white side of the family foot the bill for his education?

No idea. I don't really know much about him and haven't been watching too much political stuff. It does seem that he chose to give back and could have made a lot more money in the private sector. More than likely he's been positioning himself for this move over many years.

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 06:10:30 PM »
I came from a single mother with a 9th grade education. Went to college at a state university. Got about 35,000 in debt when I was done.

scooter

• Getbig III
  • the fvckin priest deserved to die
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 08:11:04 PM »
Grants.  They are easy to get, especially if you do very well.  Personally, I wish we moved to the European system where all College and Universities are free.  The only thing needed is the will and desire to learn.  Knowledge should not be commodity and should have no price tag.

oh bullshit!!! IMO you should have to pay for or earn everything you get nothing should be govt sponsored. Just like health care you thin that me or you should have to pay for some slob that didnt take care of himself? No way he is not my problem just like the guy who wants to go to college and didnt make the grades to get there.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 08:27:20 PM »
bill
Nobody here is entitled to a free education, its bad enough we have to foot the bill for Affirmative action cases...it should be merit based.
L

The Coach

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 08:28:05 PM »

No he didn't. But he still claims he was on food stamps.

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 08:57:16 PM »
No he didn't. But he still claims he was on food stamps.

Yes he was Trax Palin face.  Single mothers in college have a weath of money right? 

Im sure they were not POOR when he was in High school when she was finished with her PHD and had a career.  But then again Anthropologists dont make big money either...

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 12:23:47 AM »
Obama lived with his granparents, and it was his grandmother who brought in most of the income to support the family. His story is well documented in his book "Dreams From My Father"

Anyone interested in the 6 disc audio version of the book, narrated by Obama himself, ...PM me.
w

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 01:57:59 AM »
Also, Obama`s book sales.

This should help.

Michelle Obama: Barack's Book Sales Paid Off Our Student Loans

Associated Press

Wednesday, April 09, 2008
x

in order to recommend a story, you must login or register.

"We are not so far away from life that we don't understand and get it," said Michelle Obama, wife of the Democratic presidential candidate.

Obama met with a group of about 50 women at a town-hall meeting in Harrisburg, just north of Charlotte. It was part of a daylong tour of North Carolina ahead of the state's May 6 primary.

At the Tuesday morning forum, the women said increases in the cost of gas, education and health care -- along with an unstable job market -- have taken a toll.

"The truth is most Americans don't want much," Obama said. "Folks don't want the whole pie. Most Americans feel blessed to thrive a little bit -- but that's out of reach for them."

Obama told the crowd that when she and her husband left law school, the monthly payments on their school loan debt was more than their monthly mortgage payment. She said they only got out of that debt when Barack Obama wrote his two books, "The Audacity of Hope" and "Dreams from My Father."

Both Obamas graduated from Harvard Law School.

Most of the Obamas' income in 2006, when they had $991,296 in annual income, came from royalties on the books. That was down from the nearly $1.7 million they took in 2005, a total also boosted by a book deal. The Obamas have not released their 2007 tax returns, but have pledged to do so later this month.

Obama's rival for the Democratic presidential nomination -- New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton -- reported earning $20.4 million along with her husband in 2007. Since leaving the White House, the Clintons have made nearly $109 million, much of it coming from book deals and Bill Clinton's speeches.

At a later stop in Winston-Salem, Michelle Obama said each time her husband exceeds expectations in the presidential race, the standard changes.

"They tell you to raise money, you raise money," she said. "They tell you to build an organization, and you build an organization.

"And you work hard and you reach that bar. Sometimes you surpass the bar and you look around and all of a sudden the bar has moved. The bar has changed on you and you wonder what happened."

Obama said students face a similar plight, surpassing the standards needed to get into college only to struggle with the rising costs of tuition. It's no difference with the nation's seniors, she said, who are discovering their pensions don't pay enough to cover the rising costs of living.

This book?
&feature=related

I wonder that someone would have said if it was as white man writing it on black people  ::)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 02:25:47 AM »

This book?
&feature=related

I wonder that someone would have said if it was as white man writing it on black people  ::)

Do you actually think the readers here would take comments taken completely out of context, haphazardly thrown together with unrelated footage, to be in any way shape or form representative of the book?

Were this a racist, hate mongering, tome, it would neither have enjoyed the success it has, nor would this information not come to light before.

As I said before, anyone interested in the 6 disc audio version of the book should PM me.
Its a very interesting, fascinationg portrayal of who he is, ...and the forces that have shaped his life.
It's also quite funny in places. It made me laugh, and cry, ...and nod with understanding, identification & empathy.
For any who still have any questions about who this man is, ...they should read (or listen) to this book.

w

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 02:32:56 AM »
Do you actually think the readers here would take comments taken completely out of context, haphazardly thrown together with unrelated footage, to be in any way shape or form representative of the book?

Were this a racist, hate mongering, tome, it would neither have enjoyed the success it has, nor would this information not come to light before.

As I said before, anyone interested in the 6 disc audio version of the book should PM me.
Its a very interesting, fascinationg portrayal of who he is, ...and the forces that have shaped his life.
It's also quite funny in places. It made me laugh, and cry, ...and nod with understanding, identification & empathy.
For any who still have any questions about who this man is, ...they should read (or listen) to this book.

Funny how when a black man say something its always out of context or some other excuse, while if this was a white man on black people no matter how out of context it will be there will be racism cry.

Just like when McCain called Obama "that one".... ::)

How about my thread with some proofs the Democrats including your savior caused the crisis....

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 03:38:20 AM »

Funny how when a black man say something its always out of context or some other excuse, while if this was a white man on black people no matter how out of context it will be there will be racism cry.

Just like when McCain called Obama "that one".... ::)

How about my thread with some proofs the Democrats including your savior caused the crisis....

If you haven't read the book, you have no way of knowing what context those comments were in.

No investigation, ...no right to speak -- Confucius
w

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 03:51:17 AM »

If you haven't read the book, you have no way of knowing what context those comments were in.

No investigation, ...no right to speak -- Confucius

Coming from someone who doesn't even bother looking at proofs that really nice  ::)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 06:32:48 AM »
Coming from someone who doesn't even bother looking at proofs that really nice  ::)

Argument Fallacy. Argument from Experience.....look it up.