Author Topic: bodybuilding is dead. -Paul Dillett  (Read 11840 times)

Nick II

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
bodybuilding is dead. -Paul Dillett
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:52:49 PM »
" It's nowhere nearly as popular as what it used to be in the '80s and '90s when it was at its peak. It was a different time."

Is he right?

Most people including even many bb'ers don't find today's elite competitors bodies appealing at all. They know there's no way in hell of achieving it without insane amounts of drugs. Therefor their respect for them is void.

Prior to the mass monster trend you saw people on stage with shapes that you'd actually want to look like.

Physique catches a lot of heat but the truth is  you look great and sexy, pick up girls, stay healthy and even if you dont have amazing genetics you can do it. There's a recent long ass thread on here about Ulysses being possibly the most aesthetic bodybuilder today, he has a large following..and he doesn't even compete in the IFBB. I used to think Musclemania and WBFF were second rate federations with clown acts, until I recently took a trip to the UK with 1 of my buddies Anthony Defosse who was competing in 1. (He's since signed up to the thunderdome, give him a warm welcome bitches )

First off, it had the hottest fucking women I ever seen in my life (damn you marriage!) ..very feminine tightly toned bodies with big round asses.  ;D but also, alot of the guys had sick builds aswell. Well conditioned and aesthetic looks albeit much smaller. Builds that would inspire the average person to pick up weights instead of grossing them out. The show was also much more entertaining than any npc event or pro show outside The Olympia that I've attended.

Some might say this is the pussification of bodybuilding, but IMO it's the art of building a pussyslaying physique.

Thoughts?

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: bodybuilding is dead. -Paul Dillett
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »
bodybuilding dies again and again: every time someone realizes steroids are involved

SmallPole

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 11:04:27 PM »
bodybuilding as in 'men in thongs' and people getting excited over them isn't doing very well

bodybuilding as in the 'fitness industry', 'celebrity fitness coaches/ models' and most importantly 'snake oil salesmen making millions of dollars' is booming

it's just going in a different direction - most men don't wanna drool over other man (except for schmoes obv), most men want to be drooled over. Nobody says "holy shit that is a wonderful physique, I really like LOOKING at it", they say "holy shit that's a wonderful physique, I WANNA LOOK LIKE THAT GUY, what supplements does he use?"

Nick II

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 11:05:10 PM »
bodybuilding dies again and again: every time someone realizes steroids are involved

Good point. Mainstream American hates the thought of gear

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 11:07:33 PM »
The difference is that in the 1990's they removed medical oversight of cycles.  You now have guys largely self dosing without the benefit of blood tests and ancillaries to control sides.

Nick II

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 11:09:14 PM »
I wonder if Zyzz would've been so popular if he was the size of a typical bodybuilder. He was the perfect example of a great looking build that naive people thought could've been obtained naturally

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:10:39 PM »
he's right... it's always going to be less and less mainstream as guys get bigger.  But what is mainstream?  Glee and "The Voice"?  Hey, I'll stick with this obscure sport anyday over that.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 11:28:04 PM »
" It's nowhere nearly as popular as what it used to be in the '80s and '90s when it was at its peak. It was a different time."

Is he right?

Most people including even many bb'ers don't find today's elite competitors bodies appealing at all. They know there's no way in hell of achieving it without insane amounts of drugs. Therefor their respect for them is void.

Prior to the mass monster trend you saw people on stage with shapes that you'd actually want to look like.

Physique catches a lot of heat but the truth is  you look great and sexy, pick up girls, stay healthy and even if you dont have amazing genetics you can do it. There's a recent long ass thread on here about Ulysses being possibly the most aesthetic bodybuilder today, he has a large following..and he doesn't even compete in the IFBB. I used to think Musclemania and WBFF were second rate federations with clown acts, until I recently took a trip to the UK with 1 of my buddies Anthony Defosse who was competing in 1. (He's since signed up to the thunderdome, give him a warm welcome bitches )

First off, it had the hottest fucking women I ever seen in my life (damn you marriage!) ..very feminine tightly toned bodies with big round asses.  ;D but also, alot of the guys had sick builds aswell. Well conditioned and aesthetic looks albeit much smaller. Builds that would inspire the average person to pick up weights instead of grossing them out. The show was also much more entertaining than any npc event or pro show outside The Olympia that I've attended.

Some might say this is the pussification of bodybuilding, but IMO it's the art of building a pussyslaying physique.

Thoughts?
After big Ron left, there was this void--actually after the 90s bbers (dex is a hold over) left, there was this void...the current guys don't have the look, the "stage presence", the attitude, the charisma...

Plus, everybody knows that you need massive amount of steroids to look, mediocre, like Rich Piana. Big Rich would have been clowned by the 90s guys today, he's a straight clown...
The Physique and Musclemania dudes is where it's at. Having Phil Heath's arms is cool, but I want Ulisses waist and taper to go with it.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 12:29:21 AM »
That is ironic that Dillet talks about mass monsters that use too much gear.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 12:30:36 AM »

Is he right?

Physique catches a lot of heat but the truth is  you look great and sexy, pick up girls, stay healthy and even if you dont have amazing genetics you can do it. There's a recent long ass thread on here about Ulysses being possibly the most aesthetic bodybuilder today, he has a large following..and he doesn't even compete in the IFBB. I used to think Musclemania and WBFF were second rate federations with clown acts, until I recently took a trip to the UK with 1 of my buddies Anthony Defosse who was competing in 1. (He's since signed up to the thunderdome, give him a warm welcome bitches )

First off, it had the hottest fucking women I ever seen in my life (damn you marriage!) ..very feminine tightly toned bodies with big round asses.  ;D but also, alot of the guys had sick builds aswell. Well conditioned and aesthetic looks albeit much smaller. Builds that would inspire the average person to pick up weights instead of grossing them out. The show was also much more entertaining than any npc event or pro show outside The Olympia that I've attended.

Thoughts?

Yes, good article! Conditioning and symmetry should be like 80% of judging, size should be maybe %20. GH gut should be automatic disqualification.

shrek

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 12:32:21 AM »
Yes, good article! Conditioning and symmetry should be like 70% of judging, size should be maybe %30. GH gut should be automatic disqualification.

I say 50/50 it is called bodybuilding not bodyconditioning

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 12:37:48 AM »
I say 50/50 it is called bodybuilding not bodyconditioning

Okay, fair enough...

It is bodybuilding like you said, but they need to send a message that looking like a fucking ox with lumpy and mismatched, Frankenstein looking, schmoe attracting slabs of muscle and a giant belly won't get you anywhere.

Mr Olympia should look more like this:

than this:

shrek

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 12:42:08 AM »
Okay, fair enough...

It is bodybuilding like you said, but they need to send a message that looking like a fucking ox with lumpy and mismatched, Frankenstein looking, schmoe attracting slabs of muscle and a giant belly won't get you anywhere.

than this:

yes with a lil more mass

shrek

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 12:43:09 AM »
Something right in between Dorian and Haney .......

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 12:43:25 AM »
In pauls defence, he took a lot less than guys half his size and didnt eat much either, Im not saying he was on Lee priest dosages  ;D but it was well known around Venice that Flex took double triple what Paul did.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 12:45:17 AM »
yes with a lil more mass

Yeah, exactly!

Instead of trying to just grow like Cattle they need to work on looking like bodybuilders.

shrek

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 12:46:48 AM »
Yeah, exactly!

Instead of trying to just grow like Cattle they need to work on looking like bodybuilders.
I like the 80's

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 12:48:41 AM »
Okay, fair enough...

than this:

Have you seen what Mindspin looks like now? He took a 180 from that...and is healthy.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 12:50:42 AM »
Have you seen what Mindspin looks like now? He took a 180 from that...and is healthy.

No, where are the pics?

Does he ever post anymore?

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 12:51:50 AM »
That is ironic that Dillet talks about mass monsters that use too much gear.

Yeah but Dillet actually looked good - aside from his awkward posing.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 12:54:26 AM »
No, where are the pics?

Does he ever post anymore?

They are some where here, he posted a few yrs back. As of a few yrs ago,he is into MMA...lost a lot of weight.

He is the mod that doesn't post.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 01:05:17 AM »
They are some where here, he posted a few yrs back. As of a few yrs ago,he is into MMA...lost a lot of weight.

He is the mod that doesn't post.

Oh yeah, I remember him making several pro gun control posts that annoyed me months ago.  8)

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 03:01:02 AM »
I have said this over and over again:

Make the vacum pose mandatory and the gross guts will go away (i hope).

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 03:57:24 AM »
I have said this over and over again:

Make the vacum pose mandatory and the gross guts will go away (i hope).
Even Melvin Anthony said he couldn't do a vacuum (back when he was getting a Pro).