Author Topic: Dorian Yates training back, as of november,2007!!!  (Read 12986 times)

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
Re: Dorian Yates training back, as of november,2007!!!
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2007, 01:02:46 AM »
good link..
O

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2007, 01:08:14 AM »
Cheers Mate. Just wondered as he looks better now than in his heyday. Congrats Dorian

There are some short clips on him on YouTube training  in his Temple Gym. He still has ripped abs, check it out:

Team Yates

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2007, 01:29:44 AM »
his face looks pretty craggy but his physique is way better than internet rumor would have you believe
O

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2007, 02:03:39 AM »
The biceps are playing a greatly diminished role whenever your forearm is not supinated. Again, this is why you chins ups are easier than pullups. Are you claiming that reverse grip barbell curls and overhand barbell curls involve the biceps to the same degree?  ???

You need to learn to read pal.

In your original post you said biceps ONLY come into play when you supinate.

Now "they play a greatly diminished role"

Make up your mind pal.

I challenged your ignorant statement by highlighting just how stupid it was showing that supination isnt required for bicep involvement and now your changing your mind.

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2007, 02:12:11 AM »
You need to learn to read pal.

In your original post you said biceps ONLY come into play when you supinate.

Now "they play a greatly diminished role"

Make up your mind pal.

I challenged your ignorant statement by highlighting just how stupid it was showing that supination isnt required for bicep involvement and now your changing your mind.

The original statement was that an overhand barbell row still greatly affects the biceps. If, by that, he meant there is a great musculo-skeletal strain on the biceps and bicipital aponeurosis, then yes. However, in the pronated position, the biceps are weakly able to contract. It's mostly the brachioradialis that is flexing the forearm, not the biceps. This is why chin ups are easier than pullups and why your biceps will be much more sore after doing strict reverse barbell rows compared to overhand rows. For a further example, let's look  at the squat. Toward the very bottom of the squat, the hamstring muscles (sans the short head of the biceps femoris) are acting on two joints - the knee and the hip. However, nobody says they are working hamstrings when they do a squat. Sure, there is some hamstrings involved, but it's not playing a massive role nor are the hamstrings in their most powerful contracting position. It's the same deal with overhand barbell rows.

Team Yates

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2007, 02:19:07 AM »
The original statement was that an overhand barbell row still greatly affects the biceps. If, by that, he meant there is a great musculo-skeletal strain on the biceps and bicipital aponeurosis, then yes. However, in the pronated position, the biceps are weakly able to contract. It's mostly the brachioradialis that is flexing the forearm, not the biceps. This is why chin ups are easier than pullups and why your biceps will be much more sore after doing strict reverse barbell rows compared to overhand rows. For a further example, let's look  at the squat. Toward the very bottom of the squat, the hamstring muscles (sans the short head of the biceps femoris) are acting on two joints - the knee and the hip. However, nobody says they are working hamstrings when they do a squat. Sure, there is some hamstrings involved, but it's not playing a massive role nor are the hamstrings in their most powerful contracting position. It's the same deal with overhand barbell rows.

Epic attempt at ignoring the main point.

You said "ONLY" comes into play.

Stop backtracking.

You've merely stated the obvioius above in an attempt to justify that blanket statement.

The biceps are strongly involved in pronated movements just not a strongly recruited as when you perform movements when your grip is supinated.

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2007, 02:20:34 AM »
Epic attempt at ignoring the main point.

You said "ONLY" comes into play.

Stop backtracking.

You've merely stated the obvioius above in an attempt to justify that blanket statement.

The biceps are strongly involved in pronated movements just not a strongly recruited as when you perform movements when your grip is supinated.

The biceps are not strongly involved. If this wasn't the case there wouldn't be such a dramatic difference in the difficulty of chin ups compared to pull ups  ;)
Team Yates

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2007, 03:11:08 AM »
There are some short clips on him on YouTube training  in his Temple Gym. He still has ripped abs, check it out:

Nice one

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2007, 03:57:24 AM »
Bollocks! Do a reverse grip barbell curl, overhand pulldown or chin up and you willsee that the biceps gets a strong pump without "supination".

I can't believe we need to point that out.

Biceps functions:
1. arm flexion
2. arm supination

You donn't need to supinate to involve the biceps.

Obvious to those who actually work out. Biceps come in to play to a significant but lesser degree with the usual grip.

I'll never understand underhanded rows to begin with, for this reason. Plenty of other grips work the lats as well or better.

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2007, 05:03:07 AM »

Obvious to those who actually work out. Biceps come in to play to a significant but lesser degree with the usual grip.

I'll never understand underhanded rows to begin with, for this reason. Plenty of other grips work the lats as well or better.

Preference. Yates claimed that the underhand grip worked his lower lats better.
Team Yates

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2007, 05:10:27 AM »
Dorian Yates...blah!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2007, 05:43:55 AM »
Dorian couldn't carry Ronnie's gym bag training wise.

This is an exaggeration. Dorian actually could hold his own against Coleman on several back exercises, like barbell row, T-bar row and even to some degree on the deadlift.

I once saw a training pictorial of Dorian and Francois in FLEX back in 1997 where Dorian did 5 plates a side on the barbell row for 6 reps. This is roughly as much as Coleman did. He also did 6 pltes a side on the deadlift. far from Ronnie's 9 plates a side for a double, but Dorian did 8 reps.

Overral, Coleman is stronger, but don't talk like Dorian had the strengh of a kid next to Ronnie because it just isn't true. Oh, I forgot to mention that Dorian's form was perfect, unlike Ronnie's cheating training style.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Mr Gethin

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2007, 08:57:48 AM »
I trained back with both of these guys and duplicated both techniques. I used almost half the amount of weight when training with Yates in comparison to Coleman due to the strict form. Not taking any sides, just telling how it is.
Deputy Editor

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2007, 08:28:37 PM »

dumbest comment ever.
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2007, 08:29:30 PM »

worst comment ever.
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2007, 09:06:38 PM »
The biceps are not strongly involved. If this wasn't the case there wouldn't be such a dramatic difference in the difficulty of chin ups compared to pull ups  ;)

brilliant and very comprehensive answer. i can just tell that you really know what you're talking about. :D

you're an idiot. ;)

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2007, 12:03:19 AM »

Dumbest comment ever.  Please suicide yourself.

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2007, 12:09:30 AM »
his face looks pretty craggy but his physique is way better than internet rumor would have you believe

His face always looked this way.
I think he looks damn good and healthy today.

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2007, 12:13:30 AM »
&feature=related

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2007, 05:05:37 AM »
great dorian still looking awesome.

everyone here should be inspired by that.

boxing/kick boxing clips: umm...not so inspiring. don't want to rag on the man. HE IS AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND and there is no taking away from his accomplishments. he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone because he's already done it.

however :), when one posts tube of himself, one must be ready for criticism...

he's in his 40s and still massive. he's obviously trying to make an impression because he's loading up his punches and you can see them coming from next week, which is a very bad combination with the fact that he drops his guard right after delivering the strike. fact is, a trained fighter will easily slip that left right and rocket a left hook right hand combo to that wide open chin.

he is way too front on and he's only thinking about dropping the right hand (for impressiveness i suppose) ie his jab is pure arm punch (easily slipped and countered), off balance (because he's already getting ready for his sunday best right hand) and then he (eventually) delivers a right hand that has decent power but little pop. not bad though and his body mechanics with the right hand are fairly decent, apart from where his right hand ends up after the strike, which is baaaad. problem is, he'll never land it on a good fighter though. said fighter will see the wide open front on stance with no protection of his chin and if he hasn't khtfo at that point, he will when he sees that jab.

his round house kick ??? hmmm, let's not even go there. i've seen 70 yr old grannies quicker and more efficient.

if i was doz i would put the revenge (against the guy that beat him up) thing on hold or he's going to get the same result.

all due respect to yates, i had to do that. great to see the man fighting fit and good luck to him, but for fuck's sake, don't post shit on youtube that just makes you look like an attention whoring clown and nothing else. :-[

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2007, 05:52:43 AM »

he's still bigger and more ripped than Jay.

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2007, 06:02:38 AM »
Yates didn't have Jay anywhere near winning the Olympia this year. Yates calls it as it is. He believes he deserved all of his titles. I agree.
Team Yates

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2007, 06:26:46 AM »
god damn, look at jay.

smooth as a baby's ass.

where the fuck is the separation, definition. hell, his bis and tris were barely separated from his delts.  no serratus/hardness. fuck, don't remind me of the biggest fraud in the history of mr o.

CRIS

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2007, 11:29:21 AM »

Chubby, you're an ignorant ass and a training illiterate. Please, delete your account here and save us the displeasure of reading things like these. :-\
Reservations at Dorsia ?

Mr Gethin

• Getbig III
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2007, 12:43:46 PM »
great dorian still looking awesome.

everyone here should be inspired by that.

boxing/kick boxing clips: umm...not so inspiring. don't want to rag on the man. HE IS AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND and there is no taking away from his accomplishments. he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone because he's already done it.

however :), when one posts tube of himself, one must be ready for criticism...

he's in his 40s and still massive. he's obviously trying to make an impression because he's loading up his punches and you can see them coming from next week, which is a very bad combination with the fact that he drops his guard right after delivering the strike. fact is, a trained fighter will easily slip that left right and rocket a left hook right hand combo to that wide open chin.

he is way too front on and he's only thinking about dropping the right hand (for impressiveness i suppose) ie his jab is pure arm punch (easily slipped and countered), off balance (because he's already getting ready for his sunday best right hand) and then he (eventually) delivers a right hand that has decent power but little pop. not bad though and his body mechanics with the right hand are fairly decent, apart from where his right hand ends up after the strike, which is baaaad. problem is, he'll never land it on a good fighter though. said fighter will see the wide open front on stance with no protection of his chin and if he hasn't khtfo at that point, he will when he sees that jab.

his round house kick ??? hmmm, let's not even go there. i've seen 70 yr old grannies quicker and more efficient.

if i was doz i would put the revenge (against the guy that beat him up) thing on hold or he's going to get the same result.

all due respect to yates, i had to do that. great to see the man fighting fit and good luck to him, but for fuck's sake, don't post shit on youtube that just makes you look like an attention whoring clown and nothing else. :-[

I recorded and posted on youtube
Deputy Editor