Author Topic: jump squats  (Read 2266 times)

marinesgt

• Getbig III
  • Talk again..I'll snatch the life from your body...
jump squats
« on: October 17, 2006, 09:50:35 AM »
what are peoples thought on jump squats..i haven't tried then as of yet but i'm a lil leery about doing them..wouldn't they tear up your knees after awhile?how high are you jumping when you actually do these?your thoughts would be appreciated..
FIYAAAH!

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
Re: jump squats
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 12:14:30 PM »
If you want to jump higher, they are usually part of a regimen that basketball players utilize for thier hops ....
L

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 12:15:33 PM »
Plyometrics are great for developing speed and power for sports, using relatively light weights.

For BB purposes they might also be of value but would have a greater injury potential with higher weights. The way around that would be to use resistance bands instead, which are generally easier on the body.

Plus the fact that excessive use of jumping motions can run down the central nervous system.

Info:
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometrics.html

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 12:36:23 PM »
what are peoples thought on jump squats..i haven't tried then as of yet but i'm a lil leery about doing them..wouldn't they tear up your knees after awhile?how high are you jumping when you actually do these?your thoughts would be appreciated..
do you see yourself doing jump squats with 405 on your back..
p

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 02:00:52 PM »
I don't think you are going down any where near parallel, more like a half squat.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 02:10:14 PM »
IF you use weights for plyometrics you should be going very light, or use exercise bands as pumpmiester suggested

Hardcore lifter

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 07:07:13 AM »
Awhile back I use to after my regular squat routine , I would do explosive jump squats off a box. The weight would be moderate and it would be just to finish out the legs.

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 08:07:26 PM »
I do these to help me with explosive power for running and they really work but can take alot out of your legs--- so be sure to do them just once a week in the beginning-- :)

If I do these with weights, I go very light!

littlebigswole

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 06:07:41 AM »
i think theyre retarded, if you want explosiveness, lower your reps and up the weight on real squats, if your going to do jump squats do them with out weight, imagine what you knees go through, in track and field and wrestling ( i did in highschool) you get power out of resistance so get some ankle weights or a wieght vest, or train hard for intended goals, whats your desired goal?

--phoenix--

• Getbig II
  • train all out or dont train at all
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 07:07:54 AM »
theyre good for building explosive power in your legs, i use them in my routine to improve my jumping for basketball, but i wouldnt use alot of weight for them or they could do some damage to your knees.
i find that a pair of dumbells work best with 15-20 reps and 4 sets.
hope this helps
never be satisfied

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 10:28:20 AM »

Jump squats are a usual part of most of my athletes routeins, what are your goals and reasons for doing them? Do you play a sport?

Conan Stevens

• Getbig I
  • 7ft tall and 320lbs of muscle
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 10:22:17 PM »
Good way to get yourself a walking frame on medical benefits when you hit 40.

These would have to be the worst 'exercise' for damaging your knees. How many athletes have bung knees? Then go and add something like this to your routine and double the damage.

I once saw on TV a national swimming coach getting his people to do these poolside - barefoot and on concrete - idiot. At least use cushioning footware or preferrably do them in soft sand to minimise the damage.

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 09:06:07 AM »
Good way to get yourself a walking frame on medical benefits when you hit 40.

These would have to be the worst 'exercise' for damaging your knees. How many athletes have bung knees? Then go and add something like this to your routine and double the damage.

I once saw on TV a national swimming coach getting his people to do these poolside - barefoot and on concrete - idiot. At least use cushioning footware or preferrably do them in soft sand to minimise the damage.

That swim coach IS an idiot-- As one who has been doing them and has very strong knees ----these can be done safely---and are important for building explosiveness. I do these in the pool as well along with water running.
Obviously some exercises are not suited for certain people even if they are very good or if done incorrectly (aka squats)  in any case, but that does not make them bad.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 11:18:40 AM »
jumping squats with weights are stupid imo.

plyometrics must be done fast and explosive for low reps/time and lots of rest. they are designed purely for power/speed, not strength/endurance.

adding weight not only slows down the movement, but bangs up the joints aswell. as stated, they are retarded.

in any case they are mainly used for athletic performance. too dangerous a movement for pure strength/muscle size.

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 04:49:40 PM »

plyometrics must be done fast and explosive for low reps/time and lots of rest. they are designed purely for power/speed, not strength/endurance

Exactly--they help with explosive power!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 05:23:06 PM »
Exactly--they help with explosive power!

word

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 08:48:41 PM »
If you are looking to build explosiveness I would definitely do power cleans. It's a very explosive movement and allows you to use heavy weights. Jumping with just bodyweight puts a lot of stress on the knees, I can't see jumpsquats as an excercise that someone can do on a consistent basis and not develop knee problems.