Author Topic: Bryant asks for trade; says Buss masterminded trading O'Neal  (Read 1483 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Dark day in Laker land.   :'(  Interesting that Shaq is backing Kobe.   :o

Bryant asks for trade; says Buss masterminded trading O'Neal
ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 30, 2007, 1:13 PM ET

The story lines that have engulfed the Los Angeles Lakers in the last week hit a crescendo Wednesday when Kobe Bryant said he would welcome a trade.

"I would like to be traded, yeah," Bryant said on 1050 ESPN Radio in New York. "Tough as it is to come to that conclusion there's no other alternative, you know?"

Bryant, interviewed by Stephen A. Smith, was asked if there was anything the Lakers could do to change his mind?

"No," Bryan said. "I just want them to do the right thing."

Earlier in the day, Bryant said team owner Jerry Buss masterminded the trade of Shaquille O'Neal -- and Shaq later confirming Kobe's account.

The issues between Bryant and the Lakers have reached a boil, beginning with Bryant voicing his displeasure with the club's direction, his suggestion that Jerry West should return to fix things, West's statement that he has no intention of undermining GM/good friend Mitch Kupchak, and, unrelated but bizarre in its timing, Buss' arrest early Tuesday for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Bryant was left "beyond furious" by a report in Tuesday's Los Angeles Times that read, "as a Lakers insider notes, it was Bryant's insistence on getting away from Shaquille O'Neal that got them in this mess."

O'Neal was traded to the Miami Heat after the 2003-04 season, and the long-held belief has been that the deteriorating relationship between O'Neal and Bryant was a factor in O'Neal's departure.

In response to the Times' story, Bryant, interviewed by Smith for a Philadelphia Inquirer column, said Buss "called a meeting with me after he spoke with Jim Gray [of ESPN] to talk with him about Shaq's future in the middle of the 2004 season.

"He met with me at the Four Seasons Hotel here [in Los Angeles] across from Fashion Island, which is now the Island Hotel," Bryant told Smith. "I went up to his penthouse suite. [Buss] looks me dead in the face and says: 'Kobe, I am not going to re-sign Shaq. I am not about to pay him $30 million a year or $80 million over three years. No way in hell. I feel like he's getting older. His body is breaking down, and I don't want to pay that money to him when I can get value for him right now rather than wait.

"This is my decision. It's independent of you. My mind is made up. It doesn't matter to me what you do in free agency because I do not want to pay [Shaq], period.' "

"Dr. Buss said that," Bryant told Smith. "And I haven't said anything for years because I've always felt like folks were just looking to create controversy. Now I know. I realize what extent [the Lakers] will go to, to cover themselves."

Reached afterward, O'Neal told Smith that be believed his former teammate beyond reproach.

"I believe Kobe 100 percent," O'Neal said when reached in Los Angeles. "Absolutely. There's no doubt in my mind Kobe is telling the truth. I believe him a thousand percent.

"I would have respected Dr. Buss more as a man if he would have told me that himself, because I know he said it. But he didn't [tell me]. He never said a damn word to me."

Buss was unavailable for comment Tuesday, as was Kupchak. Buss, 74, was booked early Tuesday for investigation of drunken driving and driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 or above.

The Lakers missed the playoffs in the first season after O'Neal was dealt for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, Brian Grant, and a first-round pick, and have been eliminated in the first round the last two seasons. O'Neal and the Heat won the NBA championship last season.

"Sure, Shaq and I had our issues," Bryant told Smith. "So what! We always did and we won three titles. That doesn't change what was told to me. It doesn't change the fact I never, ever, said to get rid of him."

While Bryant re-signed for $136 million for seven years the day after O'Neal was traded, he has pushed for trades -- he wanted Carlos Boozer, then Jason Kidd, then Ron Artest -- that the Lakers were unable to pull off. Meanwhile, Odom has undergone shoulder surgery but is expected to be ready for training camp in October, Kwame Brown has undergone reconstructive surgery on his left ankle and might not be ready for the start of camp.

And now Bryant, who reportedly has made it clear to the Lakers that he may see fit to terminate his contract in two years, told Smith he wouldn't continue to wait for Buss to build the roster around him.

"Promises made to make this team better have not been kept," Bryant told Smith. "So where does that leave me?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2886927

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Re: Bryant asks for trade; says Buss masterminded trading O'Neal
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 12:19:06 PM »
man i cant wait to find out where he goes. this is the going to be the biggest trade in a long, long time. im thinking chicago...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 12:39:29 PM »
man i cant wait to find out where he goes. this is the going to be the biggest trade in a long, long time. im thinking chicago...

I hope they don't trade him.  But off the top of my head the two possibilities that come to mind are Houston (T-Mac) and Seattle (Ray Allen). 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 02:03:33 PM »
He's not getting traded, people.

What team out there can honestly trade for him? Any team out there would have to give up major talent in order to land him. He won't be cheap and it's not like the Lakers are going to just GIVE him away just because Kobe wants out. His trade value currently is the highest it's ever going to be in his career. He's in his prime years as a player and right now is the one of the top two players in the NBA.

Someone list a team(s) with realistic trade possibilities. I don't see it happening. Besides, he needs to shut his mouth. He's not a GM, he's a player, bottom line.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 04:59:27 PM »
He should start acting like Allen Iverson.  8)

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 05:47:45 PM »
i was listening to the stephen a smith show on espn radio this morning.  kobe did say there is zero chance of him returning to the lakers next year.

he also said that if jerry west had stayed with the lakers that the issues between him and shaq would have been dealt with and they would both still be

on the team.   i know shaq has said that same thing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 11:43:32 PM »
From one of the biggest Kobe haters on the planet:

Kobe's trade demand entirely justified

Charley Rosen / FOXSports.com
Posted: 5 hours ago     

The latest bulletin from Laker-Land is that Kobe Bryant wants to be traded — and I, for one, don't blame him.

Look at what's happened since Kobe and Shaq teamed up for the Lakers' last championship:

Shaq was traded because Jerry Buss didn't want to commit to a long-term, hugely expensive contract for an overweight player whose body was breaking down. On one hand, this is totally understandable. On the other hand, being able to compete at a championship level for another few seasons would easily have earned the organization a lot more money than first-round playoffs exits have done.
In return for Shaq, the Lakers received Lamar Odom — a notoriously soft player — and a roster full of journeymen.
Caron Butler, a semi-useful scorer, was then dealt to Washington for the perpetually disappointing Kwame Brown, who probably has the worst hands of any big man in the league.
Phil Jackson was also given the boot, to be replaced by Rudy Tomjanovich, who was in ill-health, as well as being basically incompetent.
Instead of going after the likes of Baron Davis and Ron Artest — both of whom were available — the Lakers broke the bank in signing Vladimir Radmanovich and re-signing Brian Cook, a pair of duds.
Instead of providing Jackson with a capable point guard, Smush Parker was signed and then retained.
Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
So who's to blame for the rapid decline of the once-glorious Lakers' dynasty?

1. Jerry Buss, for giving Kobe and PJ contradictory versions of what the team's long- and short-terms plans were; for being less interested in the ruination of his team that in tooling around town in the company of hopeful starlets one-third his age; for trying to control team expenditures so that his personal life-style could be perpetuated; and, most importantly, for letting his son Jim run the team (into the ground).

2. Jim Buss, for refusing to take a chance on the kind of volatile, yet extremely talented, players that the Lakers sorely needed; for basing his player evaluations strictly on statistics; and for exhibiting stubbornness, arrogance, and the refusal to accept responsibility for his own misguided decisions — characteristic of the most dangerous kind of ignoramuses.

3. Mitch "Cupcake" Kupchak, for being a dim bulb.

Given the confusion and routine bungling in the front office, is it indeed possible that bringing Jerry West back to LA could save the franchise?

As much as he's reiterated his plans to retire, the 69-year-old West would love to come riding into town as the savior. Equally attractive would be the prospect of being called upon to rectify Jackson's inability to re-lead the team to glory. Rightly or not, West has always been resentful of Jackson's coming to LA. Indeed, when West was still in the saddle and Jackson was unemployed after leaving Chicago, the Official Icon was asked how he'd feel about PJ's coming out of retirement to coach the Lakers. West's petulant response was this: "#%*& Phil Jackson!"

Even in his dotage, however, West would be a vast improvement on Kupchak. But only if Jim Buss relinquished control of the roster and of his daddy's check book.

And if West did decide to accept the role of savior, how much could he realistically accomplish?

Despite his most recent surgery, Odom remains a valuable chip in any possible trades. Andrew Bynum even more so. Because of their inflated salaries and deflated skills, Radmanovich and Cook are impossible to deal. Brown's primary value is his expiring contract.

That leaves the free agent market, which means that Buss Senior will have to abandon his monetary constraints and yield to the necessity of literally paying for his most recent sins of commission and omission by pumping up the payroll and suffering the surcharges.

Maybe by curtailing his own personal expenditures, Buss will even be encouraged to start acting his age.

In any case, there's no quick fix for the Lakers. So why should Kobe be expected to embrace spending what should be the peak years of his career care-taking a massive rebuilding effort?

Perhaps the only realistic way out of the Buss mess is to grant Kobe's wishes and trade him for whatever proven All-Stars and on-track hooplings might be available.

If Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar could be traded without the sky falling, then so can Kobe Bryant. The kicker here is that both Wilt and Kareem were traded to the Lakers!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6866924